[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy one of these /g/? It's the perfect size for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 512x287) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 512x287
Should I buy one of these /g/?

It's the perfect size for minimal clutter and it seems like it would be powerful enough to do everything a HTPC should do. The one I plan on buying is a complete package with win 10 preinstalled.

I was considering a stick PC, but I've heard they're a bit too slow to watch 1080p YouTube.
>>
>>51928921
Or you can wait a few months until Intel comes out with the Core M stick (Cedar City), which is supposed to be able to playback 4K content. Should cost much less than a NUC.

>I've heard they're a bit too slow to watch 1080p YouTube
Source? I've seen quite a few youtube reviews with the 1st generation sticks and they seemed to handle HD video well.
>>
>>51929015
My source is nothing more than an anecdote. I also heard it can slow down a bit even for simple things like browsing.
>>
>>51929079
>My source is nothing more than an anecdote. I also heard it can slow down a bit even for simple things like browsing.
>dual core

Well then OP should get a brix pro.
>>
>>51930269
Even shit tier phones have dual core m8.
>>
>>51928921
I have the intel stick - there is nothing at all wrong with the cpu (quad core atom), it's actually really great. It's the SHIT storage and 2GB of shit ram that makes it suck. Get a Lenovo M73 or nuc or do >>51929015

Aliexpress has a bunch of sff celeron/atom/i3+ for pretty cheap too.
>>
>>51928921
Get one and install XBMC.
>>
>>51931152
Thanks.

I know I'll manage to make full use of the extra power the nuc has anyway. And I really like how I have the option of installing a SSD.

SSDs are a godsend. I prayed to Odin many years ago to eliminate the problem of the HDD slowing down my PC and he has finally answered.
>>
File: feels.png (225 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
225 KB, 2400x2400
>thought about buying a nuc
>could reuse my old spare so-dimms
>they are DDR3 (1.50V)
>current NUCs only support DDR3L (1.35V)
pic related
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 443x332
>>51931516
>>
>>51928921
We deploy these at work and their reliability has been hit or miss. We use both the Gen 1s and Gen 2s. Spec'd at 8GB of RAM and running a mirrored RAID.

Only problems we have had is with the 2.5" SSDs dying, the little MSATA ones aren't too bad apparently (they're both the same size but they're different form factors)

And some network issues, sometimes the NICs seem flaky....

Other than those problems coming up a few times they've been pretty reliable. They're spec'd at what I would call an "average user's PC" right now and they perform well. Ours are fanless so they make no noise and they can mount to the back of a monitor using the VESA holes (if you use the VESA holes there's a metal bracket made for them to lower them below the holes so you can still arm-mount your monitor)

They're pretty reliable when you have them running Win7 x64 like we do. If you can get one for decent price I'd say go for it, they certainly have enough power to run some basic server stuff.

Personally I'm a bit more interested in the Gigabyte BRIX and seeing how they perform but the NUCs have not really done us any wrong.
>>
File: 1442448325582.png (50 KB, 187x211) Image search: [Google]
1442448325582.png
50 KB, 187x211
>>51929015
>le 4k meme
>>
Just get a Chromecast and join the botnet already. 99% of what you want to do for thirty five shekels assuming you have a working computer or smartphone
>>
>>51931152
The Cedar city stick will have 4 GB RAM and Core M CPU. Plus a lot more storage (32 or 64 GB, don't remember which).

So the next generation will be fucking awesome to use with a TV.
>>
>>51932866
It was just an indicator of how much this intel stick will progress in terms of computing power. If it can handle 4k video then it should be more than capable to handle 1080p amirite?
>>
>>51929015
I'm wondering this as well especially since Cedar City should be able to do HEVC (which is much more important to me than 4k).
>>
>>51928921
RasPi 2? I have one and it's plays 1080 just fine
>>
>>51931152
You can use an mSD with it.
>>
>>51928921
I actually just bought one yesterday. I'm waiting on a m.2 ssd and micro hdmi from Amazon.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.