[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to install Arch Linux with Gnome DE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: arch beard.jpg (9 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
arch beard.jpg
9 KB, 228x221
Don't. Between asterisks is the commands.

*ping -c 3 www.google.com* *cgdisk /dev/sda* new -> first sector -> size 1007kb -> hex ef02 -> BIOS new -> first sector -> size = 95% of disk -> hex 8300 -> root new -> first sector -> size = RAM capacity x2 -> hex 8200 -> swap *mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2* *mkswap /dev/sda3* *mount /dev/sda2 /mnt* *nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist* *pacstrap -i /mnt base base-devel* *genfstab -U -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab* *nano /mnt/etc/fstab* *arch-chroot /mnt* *nano /etc/locale.gen* uncomment your language *locale-gen* *echo LANG=en_US.UTF-8 > /etc/locale.conf* *export LANG=en_US.UTF-8* *ls -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/yourcountry/yourcity > /etc/localtime* *hwclock --systohc --utc* *echo yourpcname > /etc/hostname* *nano /etc/pacman.conf* uncomment [multilib] and [Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist] new line add [archlinuxfr] and SigLevel = Never and Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch *pacman -Sy* *passwd* *useradd -m -g users -G wheel,storage,power -s /bin/bash yourusername *passwd yourusername* *pacman -S sudo -> EDITOR=nano visudo* uncomment %wheel ALL=(ALL)ALL *pacman -S grub* *grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sda *iplink* *systemctl enable [email protected] *exit* *umount -R /mnt* *reboot* remove installation media and log in *xorg-xclock xterm* *pacman -S mesa* *sudo pacman -S gnome gnome-extra* *sudo systemctl enable gdm.services* *sudo pacman -S gnome-tweak-tool*

Congratulations you now have Arch Loonix!
>>
>>51928523
>gdm.services
gdm.service

>systemctl enable [email protected]

Why not use NetworkManager with Gnome?
>>
>>51929845
>Why not use NetworkManager with Gnome?
he must be retarded
>>
>>51928523
>Don't.

nigger.

just because you are retarded, it doesn't mean the rest are.
>>
>>51929845
>not using systemd-networkd
>not using systemd-boot
if you are going to use a systemd enabled botnet distro at least use it
>>
>>51928523
This is why I use Manjaro.

Installs Arch with pretty much any DE you want in a couple of minutes without the need to look up commands.
>>
>>51931004
also, no system wide encryption
gtfo faggot
>>
Doesn't work, you forgot to traceroute
>>
>>51931066
how is the stability? pretty much every DE compiled with manjaro looked trash during live cd test.

They even ruined XFCE.
>>
File: richard stallman arrested.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
richard stallman arrested.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>51931066
>Manjaro
Kek.
>>
>>51931126
It's literally Arch.
>>
>>51931141
then why do autistic turbo nerds still pretend like installing Arch is the rite of passage?
>>
>>51931129
the absolute mad man
>>
>>51931169
not sure
only using arch because i need no shit server with nothing installed and prefer to micromanage everything
>>
>>51931141
>>51931066
I just found out Manjaro also has a netinstall like Ubuntu minimal.

Fuck yeah mang, I am gonna install the core and then put on a clean DE without bloat packages.
>>
>>51931141
>It's literally a botched broken arch hacked together by brazilians
ftfy
>>
>>51931141
No, it's not. Manjaro has its own repos where they presumably 'test' packages longer for reasons even important security updates.
>>
>>51931169
Installing Arch through Manjaro is easy.
Doing the exact same thing through plain Arch isn't exactly hard, but certainly tedious.

If you're going to install Arch once in your lifetime I'd say do it the old way.
If you have multiple computers and sometimes want a fresh install for whatever reason save yourself several hours of work and use Manjaro.
>>
>>51931232
isn't net install manjaro simply arch but with a graphical installer to assist you? you would think the devs would give a shit about the other user base who are not CS grads and provide two editions of their OS, one regular, one with assisted installer for new users.

This is the first sign of elitism and "sekrit club" when devs do this and then the fanboys go around rubbing it in your face. I actually installed it on a VM and it wasn't anything exceptional. It failed to live up to the hype that /g/ created.

I had more fun installing Ubuntu from scratch.
>>
>>51931232
if you can't install arch, or are just inept, just use the 'arch anywhere' iso. literally just have to select what to install and select 'next'
>>
>>51931267
if you can't install arch by following the wiki you should probably kill yourself and >>>/reddit/
>>
>>51931298
if you install arch instead of Debian in this day and age, you should probably kill yourself
>>
>>51931312
Let me correct you fagget.

If you are not using Mac in this day and age go an hero anon.
>>
>>51928523
> needing multilib
>>
>>51931312
I don't like Arch either, but apt/dpkg is a mess
>>
>>51931340
Steam bitch
>>
>>51931261
>>51931267

I have a master degree in Artificial Intelligence and have successfully installed Arch the manual way.

I simply don't want to waste my time doing it over and over again.
I rather spend my weekends shitposting on 4chan than editing 3 different configuration files just to set my timezone.
>>
>>51931333
Macbooks and iBooks were sexy under Jobs, now they are plastic toys with shitty hardware and even shittier OS.

The old iBook with OSX was comfy as fuck mang.
>>
>>51931347
Are you a fucking idiot. It doesnt take more than 15 minutes to install arch. Heck, you don't even need to reinstall it over and over again. It is fucking rolling release fagget.

Just to answer your ignorant shitpost, you only need to symlink your timezone to etc and change it in timedatectl. It is not fucking 3 config files.
>>
>>51931183
M A D
A
N
>>
Please don't use Manjaro. Use Antergos instead.
>>
>>51931126
I like the look of XFCE on it, better than Mint.

I never had any problems with instability or shit being broken like people claim. As a beginner distro it's a good way to ease into using Linux as your regular OS. It slightly prepares you for more advanced distros, particularly Arch, better than Ubuntu, or Mint. I do think if I were picking a beginner distro again today, I'd at least consider Antergos over it. I haven't used it, but it does sound like a better beginner's Arch.

Then again I don't hate Mint either. It does what you'd expect out of such a distro. I actually started with it, but ran into some minor annoyances (wifi acting retarded, and my Android phone not mounting) which made me decide to try something else. Other than that I think I would have been perfectly happy with it.

I'm using Arch and OpenBSD now though. Personally, I'm actually starting to dislike Arch. OpenBSD is spoiling me I think.
>>
>>51931380
>you don't even need to reinstall it over and over again. It is fucking rolling release fagget.

I have a job.

I buy a new laptop every year and upgrade my desktop and home server all the time.
>>
>>51931474
Why?
>>
>>51931670
https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/

But for more relevant reasons, Manjaro is merely based on Arch. It has its own repositories which basically freeze Arch packages, have a testing period, and then send them to users. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not as >>51931066 advertises.

Antergos, on the other hand, is exactly what you'd expect as a specialty Arch distro. It does what Manjaro does, but it directly uses Arch's repositories. So, saying
>Installs Arch with pretty much any DE you want in a couple of minutes without the need to look up commands.
is actually true here.
>>
>>51931791
thanks
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.