[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thermal paste CPU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: DSC_0929.jpg (4 MB, 4468x2513) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0929.jpg
4 MB, 4468x2513
Hey /g/ i think i have gone tottaly amateur with applying paste to cpu. First i think i put too much, 2 lines on cpu, and 2 lines on cooler (thermalright macho) then smearing it evenly with plastic card. I assembled the cooler to the cpu like 2 times to check how it looks between.The excess of the paste went a bit out from the sides of aasemblement. My idle temps on 4690k stock 3.5ghz are +/- 27C which to me looks preety good. Should i bother to assemble it again with new thinner layer, or leavy it alone?Paste i used was arctic silver 5 with thermalright macho rev b.
>>
>>51927844
it should be half the size of a pea right in the middle, the pressure of the heatsink will spread it
>>
You need a pea in the middle or a single line spread out thin.

The point of thermal paste is to seal up the tiny gap between surface of cpu and heatsink so heat can transfer away as fast as possible.

Putting a shit load in is not efficient.
>>
OP here
So i gues i will have to do it again, this time properly. Can I use normal kitchen 95% alcohol to clean the old paste?
>>
>>51927977
>kitchen 95% alcohol
I have no idea what that is but you need to be careful about what extra shit it has in there.

Really is best to go get some isopropyl alcohol or acetone (cheap nail polish remove, I use it all the time).
>>
>>51928016
I meant rectified spirit :)
About the acetone i heard it is not best idea to use it nowhere near pc.
>>
>>51928079
It can damage board durfacd, like any other solvent.

Use it carefully, or use dutgical spirit. Don't use anything with additional chemicals.

Be sure to get the silver off the mobo, it's a fairly conductive thermal and could cause shorts.
>>
>>51928126
I think your keyboard is broken.
>>
>>51927977
why try and fix what isn't broken?
thermal paste alone only affects temps by like 5 degrees at best.

then again you're an idiot who bought intel just to play vidya, so continue shitposting as you were.
>>
>>51927844
Idle temps don't really mean much unless you never plan on using your CPU at load. Generally speaking the best coolers with the best TIM have the same idle temps as the worst coolers with the worst TIM (assuming it's properly applied).

That being said you never need to spread out the thermal paste, the pressure from your cooler does that for you. Use the pea method like others said. Then again, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If thermal paste isn't leaking everywhere and you like the temps, just leave it alone.
>>
All this banter on applying thermal paste is total /g/-tier autism OP, quantity does not matter, really the only important thing is to avoid creating small air bubbles between the cpu and the cooler. So put a ball of paste on there and press it flat with the cooler, without twisting it too much when you're fixing/screwing it on the mobo. End.
>>
>>51928397
>AMDead poorfag
>>
>>51928889
>paying more for the same performance, no upgradability and being forced to pay even more if you choose to overclock
you're not just paying more for the CPU if you wish to do those things, you also have to pay more for the motherboards too...

but hey you get two cents for every shillfag shitpost, so who am i to stop you?
>>
>>51927844
Get some good quality paste, then just place a small pea sized piece on the center of the cpu. Then apply the cooler. Do this properly and the past spreads evenly
>>
>>51929121
AMD is literally pure shit.
>>
>>51929121
Play some arma 3 life or any stuff like that with amd CPU
protip: You can't
>>
>>51929595
Arma games are shit desu senpai. Even on my i5-3470, 16GB of RAM, and GTX 970
>>
>>51929595
>wanting to play shit games
no thanks.
>>51929535
thanks, don't forget to check for your obligated two cents per shitpost, i hear intel can be real stingy about actually giving out money.
>>
>>51929795
KEKEKEKE. YOUR SUCH AN IDIOT. Enjoy having to water cool your pc so that you can oc your house fire chip to 5.0ghz and match performence of Sandy Bridge i5
>>
>>51929795
>Being poor as fuck

Why are you so FUCKING STUPID, if I want to buy intel why can't I buy intel? You are literally just mad because you are a fucking DESTITUTE

JUST FUCKING END IT ALL YOU FUCKING INEPT, MUNDANE, INANE, ASININE, MORONIC, ABSURD, INSIPID MEANINGLESS CUNT
>>
>>51929712
I would claim them to be shit too if I had a low tier PC as well.
>>
>>51927844
i was amateur with desktops, because i repair laptops, and i use thermal stickers.
i used em on a desktop and it works ok.
but later i had to improve the cooler, so i bought a 212 evo, and the cooler master thermal paste is like liquid. just a little ball in the middle, like 5mm wide its enough. no lines, no nothing, just that little ball, and try to avoid making pizza cheeze lines with that shit.
>super silver artic cooling modafucking thermal paste...
i remember that fucking pic.
mayo =50°
superduper thermal silver paste =48°
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.