[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 1450056198530.jpg (244 KB, 1900x1188) Image search: [Google]
1450056198530.jpg
244 KB, 1900x1188
so /g/ with all the fags here recommending linux and the rest of the shills running botnet 10 have any of you considered BSD? i have been using linux for a few years now and i quite like it it's also somewhat "secure" compared to windows but it still has many exploits
so i wanted to look into BSD. Do any of you use BSD? how does it compare to linux? does it have many exploits etc?
>inb4 windows is more secure
>inb4 faggots
>>
File: slender-man-download.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
slender-man-download.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1600
bump
>>
bsd is good and now offers pax features. full aslr support and non exec stack, which you should already have. linux has those too. check out the hardenedbsd project to learn more
>>
i should also add that bsd has code from an earlier project called trustedbsd already merged in the source, and has been since around 2004
>>
>>51927814
anyone have experience with BSD? is it similar to linux (since they are both based on UNIX)
also anyone know how secure BSD is compared to other OSs
>>
>>51928326
>Linux
>Based on UNIX
fucking pleb
>>
>>51928326
similar functionality, but openbsd is even easier to use and configure imo

as for security that depends on how much you fuck up, but openbsd attempts to solve that problem by making shit easier to configure and also by having good documentation
>>
>>51928326
No. It has UNIX like features but configuration files, open projects and more. Some programs are implemented into linux while bsd does not get the same chance.

Running a bsd server is also anoyying since configs and convention work a lot different.

>YOU MUST
refer to the correct bash when scripting.
>>
>>51927814
Installed GhostBSD yesterday because I didn't want to get in over my head too soon. It seems ok, sorta like Linux circa 2010. I want to give it a fair shake though. Hope it works out.
>>
>>51930541
Linux and UNIX have implemented security. BSD is NOT more secure then linux since they each have selinux functions (sort of).

Implying one is more secure due to it being a unix spin is something uneducated people think.
>>
>>51930622
are you having a stroke

i honestly dont understand your post

or are you the placebo shitposter switching tactics
>>
>>51930622
but the Linux kernel has so many exploits it's not even funny anymore
wondering if BSD is more secure?

>tfw created this thread 5 hours ago
>>
Could anyone recommend a comprehensive guide to using this shit? Documentation seems pretty fragmented. I mean, say I'm using something like FreeBSD, do I use their documentation in conjunction with straight up Unix guides or do I have to hang out in IRC all the time to get answers to my questions?
>>
>>51930637
>as for security that depends on how much you fuck up, but openbsd attempts to solve that problem by making shit easier to configure and also by having good documentation

You implied that linux has not done the same.

I swear if you are implying bsb is more secured then I will have a stroke.
>>
>>51930649
What the fuck are you on about.

The grub has exploits, that is also a bootloader.

The linux kernel is well secured. If it had so many exploits then why are redhat servers on the Internet not being taking over within days of operation?

I am also running debian and have yet to see odd activity hit my tables or security logs.
>>
>>51930693
Not to also say I am using squid with deep packet inspection as well. Bypassing the tables would only hit my sockets which are logged and check of traffic every hour. (Accepted data only)
>>
>>51930693
exploit-db com/search/?action=search&description=Linux&e_author=
>>
>>51930715
Typical. I always check exploit database. Have you ever tried to implement some of those exploits yourself?

Linux has to be the hardest system to inject and exploit. One kernel may be hardened while others are not.

You cannot base your judgment on a db that is not the primary db for current unpatched exploits.
>>
>>51930715
wrong link
exploit-db com/search/?action=search&description=Linux+kernel&e_author=
>>
>>51930652
There aren't any. BSD is supposed to be for the Enlightened Critical Thinking greybeards who use man pages for everything and maybe might ask a question in IRC. it doesn't have the centralized wiki / guide resources like a lot of Linux distros do.
>>
>>51930741
Are you forgetting that bsb also has a smaller team in terms of man power.

You may have found old exploits which do not explain how it is completed, but you are freaking out over something that is reported to happen with a lot of systems.

Hell there is exploits for using ntfs over ext4.

Point is nothing is 100% and you need to worry less and just ensure you have hardened your system correctly.
>>
>>51930652
for freebsd you want to read the handbook and manpages

openbsd you want to read the faq, manpages and search the mailing lists
>>
File: 4L_lokL3Fda.jpg (62 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
4L_lokL3Fda.jpg
62 KB, 480x640
>>51927814
Bsd is awesome. Stop being a linux hippie and join the darkside, i'm currently running freebsd 10 on my thinkpad and i love it.
>>
>>51927814
>Do any of you use BSD?
Yes, FreeBSD.
>how does it compare to linux?
Much better that linux.
>does it have many exploits etc?
Not many x1000 less that linux.
Exploits is a rare phenomenon on FreeBSD, x1000 less than on linux.
>>
File: 250px-Cruxlogo.png (11 KB, 250x65) Image search: [Google]
250px-Cruxlogo.png
11 KB, 250x65
Crux is the best of both worlds
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.