[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey/g/ I need some help, So I got hired by a company to do some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Hey/g/ I need some help,
So I got hired by a company to do some contract work as a " computer technician"

All they want me to do is
1 Format Hard Drive
2 Install Windows 7 professional
3 Install Microsoft Office Package 2012
4 Install Free AVG Virus Software

Simple stuff I know how to do, but my question is, how much should I charge them? They want me to do this to 6 laptops. They told me to name my price, I dont wanna come off as stingy, but I also don't wanna get underpaid

Also I wouldn't have to waste money on anything they'd be providing all the keys and shit
>>
>>51925817
Charge by time
>>
>>51925836
How much per hour?
>>
>>51925817
Hold the fuck up, OP. This sound suspiciously similar to emails I used to get back when I advertised for computer repair services on craigslist. Whenever I would respond to them, I would get a message back saying they would send the laptops to me, and I would have to send them back, and they asked for my credit card info or some shit. It was an obvious scam, since I was sent essentially the same message three times from three different people.
>>
I would say around 15 dollars per hour.
>>
>>51925881
You sure? Should I still reply and see what happens? (Without my credit card info obviously)
>>
>>51925902
wow you're a pussy. $75 an hour for any on site computer technician.
>>
It's a scam, lad.

I've seen this exact thread 3 times before.
>>
>>51925948
Damn alright thanks
>>
>>51925817

1. Get a contract signed. Doesn't have to be a retainer or anything, just a "Hey, this is who I am, list who you are. This is what I do, this is how I protect what I do, these are my responsibilities to you. I expect you to pay me this way, protect yourself and me this way, and here are your responsibilities to me.
2. $60-90 on-site hourly rates aren't unusual. But for remote setups, bill a much lower rate, $20/hr, even, but bill "regardless of attendance to machine or device." Meaning that if you're doing Windows updates on 4 different machines in the background, while you jerk it to cartoon robot girls, you bill $20/hr per pc until they're done. 2 hours of download and installing updates on 4 machines? There's your $160 for reading sadpanda. The other reason you do this, is because people will bitch about "BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH MY PC THE WHOLE TIME IT WAS UPDATING QUICKBOOKS, DO YOU???" or "BUT YOU DIDN'T EVEN DO THAT! THE TECH ON THE PHONE DID THE THING!" to try to get out of a bill, and you get to tell them "Look. This device is taking up space, power, network capacity, and is under my protection and care for the time I'm putting in to work with it. As well, the fact that I have to be ready to start the next process on this machine after it finishes means I can't sleep, I can't go out on a job, I sit in, and watch it. So it's time out of my day to take care of your machine."
3. Install only legit software. They don't wanna pay for licenses? Fuck 'em. They get pissy with you? Report them. Microsoft will give you monies to report companies that use counterfeit copies of windows/office.
4. This is probably a scam or honeypot.
>>
>>51925918
Well did they ask for credit card info?
>>
It's a scam, they are going to try and send you a cash from a fake bank.

They will first offer you the job and tell you've got it. Then, you will be prompted for your name, address, and whatever. They will tell you the remaining funds goto some bullshit they have with the shipper.

You will receive a check, it's fake, there is no computers, you will pass funds off and then the check will bounce.

Simple scam, you're welcome.
>>
>>51926518
However, I will show you how to price and speak to customers.
>>
>>51926538
Me
Nov 8

to mrkgb
Greetings,

I saw your post looking for a part-time computer repair technician. I believe I am overly qualified for the requirements of working with the repair of consumer hardware devices. I have the following accreditation:

A+
Network+
Server+
CCNA
70-410 for MCSA.

I work for a large enterprise here in-town, and am looking for auxiliary income.

I can provide further information regarding employment history(LinkedIn,resume,cv,etc) and the like, but could you describe what kind of fulfillment you are looking for from a candidate?

Depending on the workloads I can potentially automate and aid you in accommodating any issues that arise.

Best regards,

mark gibbs <[email protected]>
Nov 8

to me
Hello,
Good to read from you and showing interest on the posting . Presently, I have about 13 HP "Window 7" which I need an expert to fix and upgrade to perfect taste.

I want to know if you can fix them with the below listed:

* Format Hard Drive
* Install Win 8
* Install Microsoft Office Package
* AVG Virus Software
* Adobe Acrobat Reader
* diagnose Hardware. Hard drive, video-card and processor.

I will provide every necessary software and license key needed for the service installations of the Laptops. They have no hardware problem and all are in working

condition but I intend to upgrade them. If you're ready to take up this work, get back to me with your service charge for the units. Regards.

Me
Nov 9
>>
>>51926546
Me
Nov 9

to mark
Mark,

That definitely sounds like something I can help with. I like the service charge to reflect the value I'm adding for you, so if we can outline exactly what you're needing I can give you a service charge.

13 Laptops
Format All Drives(x13)
Install Windows 8(x13)
Install Microsoft Office Package(x13)
Install AVG Anti-Virus(x13)
Install Adobe Acrobat Reader(x13)
Recommend hardware upgrades to ensure device runs the new software optimally.(x13)

I can do the above to each laptop for $45 per device. I can ensure a quick turnaround time as I will be prepping an image through sysprep and imaging with a WDS solution, and then applying any keys you have.

I will provide a pricing breakdown of any hardware recommendations, and also if need be I can look into the licensing costs if you haven't already.

I would also include flash/java/codec/ccleaner and useful free tools if that would help your end customers.(part of the above job, not extra pricing)

Regards.

Nov 9

to me
Thanks for the prompt response and this is to notify you that you can consider this deal sealed as am willing to pay your asking service charge. I will arrange payment by check which will include shipping cost for the units to and fro + insurance fee. The payment will be sent via courier service with next-day delivery service and when you receive the check, you verify it, deduct your service charge and I will then guide you on how to forward the remaining funds to the mover, so they can handle the shipment of the units to and fro when you complete the work on them. I need you to provide some information to issue and mail out the payment ASAP:

* Full Name:
* Physical Address:
* City:
* State:
* Zipcode:
* phone #:
* verified email:

I look forward to reading from you the required information to assure me you can handle this with all perfection. Regards
>>
Licenses for every machine + 10% + $50 per laptop + $20/hour
>>
>>51926557
Me
Nov 9

to mark
<my info>

Did you happen to have a schedule on when you needed these completed? I'd like to establish a timeline to plan the work.

I'm a bit confused where you say, "forward the funds to the mover." Is that to compensate the shipping company for return to you?

Regards,

Nov 9

to me
ok got the details and i will update you as soon as the payment is been mail out

mark gibbs
Nov 18

to me
Hello how are you doing today?This is to notify you that the payment for your service will get to you on or before Friday...i will email you with the tracking # and details as soon as possible ...

mark gibbs
Nov 19

to me
Hello,

How are you today?I am very sorry for the late response. This is to notify you that Payment for your service on the repair of my laptops will be delivered to you Via USPS today or tomorrow,tracking number(9405501699320065082716)below is what you have to do as soon as you receive the payment.

Deduct your money for the service you want to do on my 13 Units, and you will be sending the rest of the funds to my to my shipping agent so that they can prepare relevant docs and ship out the laptops to you Unfailingly tomorrow or next, and i will get back to you with the shipment tracking # as well for the units coming your way so you can know when they arrives... The excess funds is meant for shipping and insurance fee of the units forth and back as you finish working on them and more so,I have a past due with them to settle and they wouldn't do anything unless they have their money. So all you have to do i to go ahead and deposit the check immediately you receive it ...the funds will be available instantly or in few hours...let me know as soon as this is done for further details...

N.B-I will compensate you with $20 for running around reconfirm me the address once again where you want the laptops to be shipped to:
>>
>>51926566

Me
Nov 19

to mark
Greetings Mark,

Thank you for the tracking number, I see that the payment has already arrived in San Antonio and I presume that it should arrive at it's destination sometime by the end of the day.(If not, then surely tomorrow.)

I will be taking the check to it's issuing bank to ensure that the funds presented are legitimate, and then will organize with your shipping agent for the propagation of the funds their company. If the issuing bank is not available in San Antonio, I will have to decline further business interactions until you've secured funds that I can verify.

Also, can you specify the contact information for the representative of the shipping company? I'd like to touch base with them to discuss the inventory and their availability.

Your further correspondence is much appreciated,

Regards,
>>
>>51926546

>machine translation

I dunno man, he seems legit
>>
>>51926586

Hey man, I wanted $600 for an hour of work :(
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.