[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck why can't I just access the sd card in my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
What the fuck why can't I just access the sd card in my phone as a mass storage device through the USB port?
>>
Because Android sucks
>>
>>51924686
This MTP/PTP bullshit is buggy and incomplete, using an SD card as mass storage used to work on lagdroid, now I have to turn off my phone, pull out the sd card, and use a card reader.

How'd they fuck it up this badly?
>>
>>51924646
You can.
>>
You used to be able to on AOSP natively (Sony's ROMs still have that feature). Nowadays you can still do it, but you'll need a third-party app.
>>
File: nokia-n9-homescreen-apps.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
nokia-n9-homescreen-apps.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>51924646
Shouldn't be using lagdroid in 2015 anon, the better choices are at large

Pic related is the Nokia N9, a full GNU/Linux mobile phone that runs everything, has revolutionary UX that no phone today has matched and DOES NOT LAG

Also you can mount all partitions as mass storage
>>
media sync dummy, that way you dont have to eject the phone to disconnect it (which would cause way more problems)
>>
>>51924744
Bait detected
>>
A lot of hardware hacks use the innate trust of USB devices to break into Android files.

Its really unlikely for these hacks to happen irl, but the vulnerabilities were exploitable enough to make Google do that
>>
>>51924756
>dont have to eject the phone
I don't care, MTP/PTP simply does not work for large files, it's a broken standard
>>
>>51924763
Please explain
>>
>>51924798
Everything's misspelled on that phone
>>
File: IMG_20150822_013511.jpg (47 KB, 523x476) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150822_013511.jpg
47 KB, 523x476
>>51924744
>tfw you have four nokia N9s
>tfw your collection will never be complete with the Red N9
>>
>>51924744
Can it access the google play store/install .apk files
If so, then it's a viable android replacement.
If not, then it can't compete.
>>
>>51924646
Use google you autismo fuck
>>
File: IMG_20151127_141458.jpg (901 KB, 2368x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151127_141458.jpg
901 KB, 2368x3200
>>51924917
There are 3 choices, you can boot full android which is a terrible idea or you can use Apkenv which runs native apks (faster than android in the same hw as well since there are no abstraction levels) or use Chrome's ARC which runs virtually all apks

KDE Shashlik is coming soon as well
>>
>>51925004
Is Apkenv something that runs over any other OS you decide to have the phone run that's not android? Because if so, that's pretty dope.
>>
>>51925069
Apkenv could work with any Linux based system if you're in the right architecture I think, I remember they were trying to get it working for Sailfish which runs over Wayland
>>
File: Capture.jpg (23 KB, 876x175) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
23 KB, 876x175
I don't understand???
>>
>>51925399
Copy a 20GB file to it. You see the icon next to the generic white protestant name, "Brandon"? That means its MTP shit.
>>
Idiot
>>
>>51924646
Wait seriously?

It's my main way to transfer data between my phone and desktop.
Did they seriously randomly remove a useful feature for no reason?
>>
>>51926362
My moto G can only conect trought MTP shit.

Literally my last android phone I'm ever buying.
>>
>>51924646
>tfw mtp manages to be slower than ftp through wifi
>>
>>51924719
No, you're just incompetent.
>>
Just buy an iPhone nerd
>>
>>51924646
i do
>>
>>51924744
BB10 surpassed the UI in many ways
>>
>>51924646

This is typical Apple-style horseshit cancer spreading to other platforms. Now I need a fucking driver to access my phone's storage? One of the biggest reasons I use Android is because I don't have to install shitty software like itunes to manage my phone.
>>
>>51927993
Yup
>Connecting an Android phone or tablet to a computer as a standard USB storage device is convenient, but there are too many downsides. The craziness had to stop, so modern Android devices use different USB connection protocols.
> http://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/

Everyone in this thread claiming otherwise are just edgy tweens that never had an android device that allowed you to connect as a mass storage device. They don't know any better.
>>
File: IMG_20151218_111111.png (101 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151218_111111.png
101 KB, 768x1280
>>51927968
Feels good to be part of the master race.
>>
>>51930612
Pic not related I suppose
>>
>>51924956
Op is correct mtp is crap, and you contribute nothing
>>
>>51924646
Use ADB Shell you fucking Luddite.
>>
>>51926362
Yes, android up to jellybean could then goggle forced mtp which is woeful and downright unstable and should not be used for regular consumers. Routing your phone can enable native usb transfer to card but if you have a Samsung phone then your camera goes to shit
>>
>>51927705
You're a fucking retard that contents boring and offers no rebuttal
>>
>>51924646
because it's not 2008 and because devs hate humanity

move with the times and embrace new awesome inconvenient mtp solutions
>>
>>51924646
Because the mass storage device thing is a very low level protocol that requires the host computer to handle all the filesystem details.

This basically requires that the phone unmounts the card completely, which can have complicated implications for anything running on the phone and using the storage at the time, and puts the card's data integrity at the mercy of the host OS. Also, the card has to be formatted using some shit filesystem that works on everything (probably Microsoft's FAT). If the USB connection is interrupted rudely enough, the filesystem may be left in a broken state.

I think Google was right to try to move away from that hack, though they could have done a much better job implementing the newer protocol.
>>
>>51924646
Because Microshit Wangblows only supports FAT and NTFS, which are patented and Google doesn't want to have anything to do with that.
Also Google has no interest in making Android work nicely with Windows. They want you to use their botnet storage.
>>
>>51931334
This is the best answer ive seen so far but it still doesn't excuse the absolute balls up that mtp is. Plus android used to use mtp automatically and then left the option to switch transfer mode to the user. They then just removed that because fuck you that's why. Also host devices are just phones they're not owl enough to handle mtp when you're running other apps. If you just want to copy all your pictures off the gallery and onto a pc the phone can hang. This is a ridiculous scenario compounded by the fact that to do the same job can be done faster via wifi.
>>
>>51931511
>it still doesn't excuse the absolute balls up that mtp is

It's made by Microsoft. Pretty much anything they produce needs three service packs to become somewhat decent.
They don't give a shit about MTP. They don't see it affecting their stock.
>>
>>51931576
Microsoft didn't foist that change android though.
>>
MTP and PTP are pure slow broken pieces of shit.
It's one of the reasons I don't wanna upgrade to Android 4.0+
>>
>>51924646
>access the sd card in my phone as a mass storage device

meh, this took a bit of getting used to when I got a new android phone. But I just use ES file explorer and SMB to transfer files and rsync for android to back up stuff. I agree that MTP is shit.
>>
when I connect my phone it says "connected as USB mass storage device".
It wouldn't lie to me, right?
>>
>what is adb
>>
Because winblows STILL can't handle a real filesystem after 22 years and needs handholding like a child.
>>
>>51924686
Spot the iCuck
>>
>>51931334
I don't care, its my phone, I'll take the risks. They shouldn't be reducing functionality with updates.
>>
>>51924646
welcome to lagshit, enjoy youre stay
>>
>>51936313
Reduced functionality also means forcing all people to use the CRAPTASTIC filesystem that is FAT32 to make USB mass storage shit work, rather than having support for the much better filesystems Android can support.

Never mind mass storage access compromises device security plus basically the Android security model, and more. (I think Google inquired if they could have a FAT32 open sauced / licensed variant to extend and fix this shit, but were refused?)

Anyhow, it needed to go away, Google was completely right with that.

Suggestion, if you don't like MTP, how about you just use SMB (windows network shares) to access the device? Everyone has WLAN anyways, and SMB is both home and enterprise ready.
>>
>>51936415
No thank you, mass storage worked perfectly, that's what I want to use. Transferring files over Wi-Fi when I have a usb cable is needlessly slow.

I've used android before and after they removed the mass storage option, it hasn't improved my experience in any way and instead forces me to open my phone and use an external card reader for large file transfers. This is not an improvement in any way.
>>
>>51936415
Fat32 has nothing to do with it. I have ntfs, hfs+, exfat, zfs, and more formatted sub drives and they all work in a consistent way via mass storage.

As for security, if someone has physical access to your phone they can just use mtp to steal your files, or they could just remove the sd card, or root your phone, crack your pin etc.
>>
This worked on my Jolla when I had it. Assumed it worked on Android as well. Kind of funny that this super small company supported it while Android didn't.
>>
>>51936556
> I have ntfs, hfs+, exfat, zfs, and more formatted sub drives and they all work in a consistent way via mass storage.
Do they work when you format your Android microSD / second internal partition and connect the phone by USB to ANY of Windows / Linux / OSX? No, they actually don't.

This is one of the use cases that needs to work.

>>51936465
> Transferring files over Wi-Fi when I have a usb cable is needlessly slow.
Decent WLAN is easily as fast as the probably like 30-60MB/s your phone can access the microSD at.

Even at 20-25MB/s or whatever a $10 Chinese 802.11n AP can pull, you should have your data pretty fast.

> I've used android before and after they removed the mass storage option, it hasn't improved my experience in any way
Security features don't matter until someone steals your phone or tries to grab your data.

And maybe you don't care about FAT32's retarded limits (like 4GB size limits on individual files) or other problems, but Android just happens to have to work for 2 billion people, if not more.

That said, you are free to not like the change, and you're free to work around it on a rooted phone (it can be done). But there's no way it will get reverted.
>>
>>51936556
> if someone has physical access to your phone they can just use mtp to steal your files
Only the files shared in MTP folders.

Installing a keylogger this way or grabbing passwords or credit card information or the like is not possible by this method.

> or they could just remove the sd card
And then they lack decryption keys for a lot that can be stored on it. They're still on the phone.

Also, a lot of phones don't even have a microSD, and accessing internal forms of storage is more tricky to typical thieves and jealous spouses or whatever.

> or root your phone, crack your pin
Sometimes probably possible, but absolutely not always. Android's security can be quite tight if it is so desired.

Now, it isn't tight in every phone by default, but this *is* now one place where it got tighter because it was one of the worst holes. At least a general file access control policy can be enforced now. There no longer is a "free for all" pool on about every device.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.