[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jamal thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 11
File: 1397683214101.jpg (265 KB, 794x768) Image search: [Google]
1397683214101.jpg
265 KB, 794x768
How much software and media have you pirated? What are your morals on the matter?
Have you ever stolen hardware?
Have you stolen from Intel, nVidia and AMD by unlocking cards/CPUs?
>>
>How much
99.9% of it since I bought my last game, DOOM on floppy.
>Hardware
No.
>Unlocking = stealing

I guess the other 5 curiously written threads weren't enough from /b/, I'm guessing.
>>
>How much software and media have you pirated? What are your morals on the matter?

literally everything ever. I don't give a fuck about morals, it's a victimless crime. you cannot convince me otherwise.

>Have you ever stolen hardware?

No, because that is a crime that would actually affect people. Im stealing an actual item that someone owns.

>Have you stolen from Intel, nVidia and AMD by unlocking cards/CPUs?

le jew meme xDDD
>>
>>51924652
You're literally stealing profit the owner of the material would of otherwise made. How is that not victimless?
>>
>>51924610
I don't steal anything.

Please nigga, how am I stealing if I modify something I own?
>>
>>51924610
>How much software and media have you pirated?

Very little.

>What are your morals on the matter?

The notion of intellectual property seems odd imo. People try to say that they can "own" ideas, but it just doesn't sit right with me. I think the practice of claiming to own ideas should be made illegal.

Yes, lots.
Thousands and thousands of dollars worth.

Yes, lots.
>>
>>51924677
>Would have otherwise made
Ok I'll bite.

I wasn't going to purchase X anyway.
Using your logic, I'm avoiding them stealing the money I was going to spend on something else, like food.
>>
music, movie, game, software companies price their products under a false sense of value that takes into account piracy, which means only suckers would get jacked paying higher than real market prices for digital content. Everyone pirates, everyone has a phone/mp3 player full of gigabytes of music. Prices of music CDs in no way reflect reality. Calling pirates niggers means everyone is a nigger because everyone pirates.
>>
>>51924610
>How much software and media have you pirated? What are your morals on the matter?
all of it, I'm a poor fuck if I was rich I would buy everything to get a much better service

not that poor

uugh
>>
does winrar being on day 3927 of its 40 day free trial period count
>>
>>51924610

I haven't bought media in like 7 years probably.

I don't give a single fuck. I also seed.

No.

Yes.
>>
>>51924610
1 software(s), and i regret it desu
no, sir
no, sir
>>
>>51924743
Don't give me that bullshit.

>How much software and media have you pirated
>literally everything, ever

You're telling me that if you couldn't pirate, you'd never buy any media at all? You wouldn't listen to any music or watch any movies or television, or anime, ever

No fucking way dude, not buying it for a second.
>>
The fact that Adobe Photoshop and MS Office are subscription cloud based apps is purely to fight piracy. People who dont want to be inconvenienced by using cloud based apps will pirate the old binary version of this software. Apple forces their users to use only their hardware purely because they would lose ALL their money if they sold their OS as software only. MS has to give away windows because they would quickly lose most their market share if they forced their users to buy windows. Everything is sold in a way that compensates for piracy.
>>
>not stealing hardware

What's wrong with you guys?

You act like a bunch of pussies.
For fucks sake, go steal some shit!
>>
>>51924829
It's true.
I either get people to buy it for me if I can't torrent it or I just don't use it.
You don't have to believe me, nor do I care if you don't.

>Anime
Fucking lol, who watches cartoons anymore?
>>
>>51924610
The amount of software and media I pirated increases as the space consumption on my hard drives and SSDs increase.

I live a moral-less life, if I could steal physical items without facing judgement, the everything, including my house, would be stolen, too. Morals are mental cages.

Real-life? No. Because I would face judgement, which will probably out-cost the benefit I would gain from stealing real pieces of hardware.

Yes.
>>
>>51924829
Not him, but if I couldn't torrent, I would simply do without the music/movies/some video games that I torrent. It's not in any way a big deal considering we can duplicate the patterns of 1's and 0's as many times as we want, unlike tangible products that we have a finite amount of. If you are a capitalist, everything I just said is probably very confusing for you.
>>
>>51924855
I've stolen computer peripherals from school/ work. That's where I draw the line.
One time I stole an optical drive from one of the laptops in school and made a burning laser pointer. Shit was so cash.
>>
>>51924610
Does that include shoplifting movies and games?
>>
>>51924875
Well there you go, someone is buying it for you, therefore the owner is being monetarily compensated for their IP. If you couldn't pirate things, you'd get people to buy them for you more frequently. My argument still stands.

>>51924909
You admitted you'd still buy some things though, and I know natural property rights don't extend to digital products, but still the owner of the product is losing profit for the things you would of bought had there been no other means of getting it.
>>
>>51924610

All of it. Either I'll get it for free by downloading it, (which is no different to taping it off free-to-air TV or radio) or I'll go without it. I was never going to pay for it in the first place.

No, I'm white.

lel
>implying that Intel, nVidia and AMD aren't stealing from me by deliberately crippling the hardware they sold me
I've unlocked/overclocked/jailbroken/hackintoshed, etc.

If the hardware is capable of it and they've already sold me the hardware, how in the fuck is that POSSIBLY stealing?

That's like saying you're stealing if you buy a two-storey house that has the stairs blocked off and you unblocked them without paying the real estate agent the price of your house again to unblock the damn stairs for you.
>>
>>51924989
No, they wouldn't lose profits because I wasn't going to buy the product anyways. I can do without, but when I have the means to do with without spending money, I will.
>>
>>51924610
I stopped torrenting because it's a net loss for culture. It's the tragedy of the commons, "pirating" will turn the culture into a third world river.
Also it makes you feel better-off than you are, which is also bad for the society.
>>
>>51924938
The only thing I've ever stolen from school was a dewalt drill charger from one of the labs. I lost the one to my drill and the ones on eBay and amazon were ridiculously expensive for a simple nicad battery charger, plus the school had way more than they would ever need.
>>
16,000 songs. My moral on it is that if they want to charge 70 dollars a fucking ticket for shit seats at live shows where they can hold 10,000 people trust me. I'm not hurting them.
>>
>>51924677
the best defense is that the poorfag would not have bought the material anyway.
but unless you're eating dogfood or a cancer patient or something, you're just kidding yourself and you're part of a huge portion of consumers of culture who have just disappeared and gutted the arts and entertainment industry, mostly in the middle where a lot of the best content used to come from.
>>
I put bologna in a CD drive at school once. It looked hungry

I broke it but never paid for it.

If "you break it, you buy it" rings true then yes, I stole a CD drive
>>
I haven't bought a game or software in the last 10 years.
>>
>>51924989
>Well there you go
>My argument still stands
On one leg, as you've forgotten the second part of my explanation. Besides, the only reason they'll buy something for me is for selfish reasons, i.e, they want me to play they game with them.

If I can't pirate it, I don't really care.
>>
>>51924772

Their dumbasses for only putting a nag there, I bet they sold nothing

Also

>2016 RC2
>Not using 7zip

It's like you like getting cμcked
>>
File: 1364540198784.jpg (38 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1364540198784.jpg
38 KB, 720x960
>>51924829
>You're telling me that if you couldn't pirate, you'd never buy any media at all?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm telling you. The only exception is music. I stopped pirating music once I discovered Spotify because it is just so much easier.

But for movies and games, yeah, I just wouldn't buy them.

Programs I would find FOSS alternatives for, or if my job required something there isn't an alternative for, I would make them buy it for me.

You're also under the delusion that people who pirate don't buy media or are simply trying the product before they buy it as a result of demos becoming extinct. Pirates are actually the biggest purchasers of media. More than all other demographics combined IIRC.

When you pirate a game/software and the installer says "remember to purchase the products you enjoy to support the company!" it isn't a joke, or something to cover the crackers' ass. It's what most pirates ACTUALLY do.
>>
File: 1445708925272.jpg (356 KB, 600x583) Image search: [Google]
1445708925272.jpg
356 KB, 600x583
>I don't have morals
>>
>>51924610
>stealing
>numbers
>>
>>51925576
>it looked hungry
>>
I've stolen mouse balls so I can throw them at someone's window back then.
>>
>>51925661
You're preaching to the wrong era.
Or the wrong race, frankly.
>>
>>51925712
this is MY number! you can't have it!
>>
>>51924610
Only software.
I once was going to steal a .5 $ rj45 cable, but then I said to myself that I was no nigger.
I "steal" software and I never felt remorse, whatever the price of it.
>>
I pay full price for hardware and zero american dollars for copying infinite resources
that's as far as my morals go
>>
>software
A few old games I can't get legally. Pretty much everything else is open source.
>media
I have a 3TB RAID in my home PC just to hold it all. So much anime and music.
>hardware
I'm not a nigger.
>muh overclocking is theft
Eat a bag of dicks.
>>
>>51924610
I don't usually do it. I almost always search for free alternatives instead.

I stole an extra HDMI cable that was sitting in my school's computer lab. That's it.
>>
I don't just pirate, I buy things just to share them. I do this because I like the things on pirate sites to reflect my own taste. Gotta educate the plebs and shit.
>>
>>51924610
all of it is the only correct answer fag/g/ot
>>
when I was a young I pirated everything

when I a old I buy
>>
>>51924610
>pirating
I pirate pretty much everything
I guess my morals are don't live in Australia if you like buying digital goods.
>hardware
When I was little I stole my friend's Pokemon Blue
>overclocking
My CPU is overclocked
I'm sure overclocking isn't any kind of theft.
>>
>>51925993

>I pirate pretty much everything
>I guess my morals are don't live in Australia if you like buying digital goods.

So much this. Adobe etc can go eat a bag of dicks. I can fly to LA, buy a copy of Photoshop and fly back for the same price you can buy PS here...digitally delivered from US servers. They don't deserve my money.

Directory Opus, on the other hand, does. Great software and Aussie made.

Coupon code for 50% off DOpus atm is HALFPRICE2015 in case anybody is interested

>>hardware
>When I was little I stole my friend's Pokemon Blue

Kek

I nicked a mates 1st edition Blastoise trading card once, the ruse lasted less than a day

>>overclocking
>My CPU is overclocked
>I'm sure overclocking isn't any kind of theft.

But Anon, by doing that you are essentially upgrading your processor to a more expensive model. That's robbing Intel/AMD of that extra money...that money could go a long way
>>
>>51924610
How much I bought perhaps? Video games aside, none. Last game I bought was Diablo 2 at release.

Of course, anything that isn't attached, depending on how quickly I can run away with it, and how noticeable its disappearance is.

Yes, and some more.

As much as theft and piracy can be questionnable, they aren't as questionnable as paying for something you could get for free.
>>
>>51926147
Jamal levels: Tyrone
>>
File: 1448823334989.jpg (16 KB, 319x320) Image search: [Google]
1448823334989.jpg
16 KB, 319x320
>>51926161

I laughed way harder at this than I should have
>>
>>51924610
I have pirated some in the past.
I've never stolen hardware.
I have my CPU unlocked already.

Pirates are theives.
>>

everything ever, i actually go out of my way to avoid paying for anything online

thought about it, but no, the benefits didnt outweigh the consequences

Yes, fuck you.
>>
All non-free software.
Morals? On not physical things?
Stolen hardware? Not a nigger.
Unlocked more shaders on my fury, not stealing, just taking what has been given to me.
>>
File: pirate logic.png (17 KB, 843x255) Image search: [Google]
pirate logic.png
17 KB, 843x255
shaking my head at this
>>
>>51925489
>"pirating" will turn the culture into a third world river.
worry not, Americans already managed to do it
>>
>>51924652
>No, because that is a crime that would actually affect people. Im stealing an actual item that someone owns.
>Im stealing an actual item that someone owns.
>stealing an actual item that someone owns.
>stealing
>>
Yes. Ridiculous amounts.

Does RMAing a video card I destroyed by stupidity count?

Yes.
>>
Plenty.
Subjective.
Nope.
The EULA at the time didn't state that unlocking them was equal to stealing, so no.
>>
>>51924610
Quite a lot if you include media, not much at all for software like programs. I haven't pirated much at all in recent years. It's wrong obviously. I'm not rationalizing what I've done here. I was poor and I wanted something I couldn't afford so bad that pirating seemed like a good solution. It's also sometimes easier to pirate something than getting it through legal means.
No.
>stolen
Yes but this has nothing to do with stealing.
>>
>>51925752
mouse balls are surprisingly weighty
>>
>>51924829
>You're telling me that if you couldn't pirate, you'd never buy any media at all?
4chan gives me more entertainment than any of these.
>>
Man most of this content wouldnt be available to me anyway if it weren't for piracy
Like there's no legal alternative where i live so fuck it
>>
>>51927402
A GLORIOUS WEIGHT

ALSO THE COATING IS GOAT

MOUSE BALLS ARE TOP TIER OBJECTS
>>
>>51924829
Another anon here. Digital entertainment is an easily replaceable luxury, not a necessity.
Every entertainment medium can be easily replaced.
I feel as content going on walks through the city, or just going on a drive, or sight-seeing, or socializing, or the best of all - fucking, or taking up a tangible hobby like sculpting; as i am consuming any digital entertainment.
The problem you are facing now is that in light of all the aforementioned ways to be entertained, digital entertainment is the lowest common denominator. And no matter how much you try to inflate it's importance with philosophizing and psychological games about morals and such bullshit, it will forever be the most lowest common denominator. What you achieve by trying to inflate its importance is, at best, giving the impression to people that you are trying to use it as leverage to take control of the flow of information, and control over people, by a few good corporate psychological games and philosophizing, by imposing arbitrary ethical and moral rules. The business equivalent of religious fundamentalism.

The crux of the matter is: It's fucking irrelevant even if digital entertainment stopped existing, because it is in Human nature to be adaptable and find new ways for emotional fulfillment. The notion that digital entertainment can stop existing is also false, as the only thing that stops existing is a few butthurt corporations and companies, while the vacuum is always filled again. Entertainment isn't defined by a bunch of music labels, Hollywood firms, and game publishers/developers. It is defined by Human nature. Ergo, if the entities stopped existing, entertainment would not, as other people would replace them for various reasons. Entertainment isn't merely about profit. Various people create it for various reasons, not limited to profit.
>>
>>51928109
Everyone responding to me is missing the point. You clearly enjoy digital media, you all download terabytes of it. I'm not asking you to imagine if it didn't exist, I don't even know where you got that from, I'm asking you to imagine if it did exist, however the only way to obtain it was to pay for it. I refuse to believe any of you would go without any forms of media just because you had to pay for them.
>>
The reason I don't feel bad about piracy or even physical item theft from big businesses is that it just doesn't impact them in a significant way because I'm only one person.
>>
>>51924909
>If you are a capitalist, everything I just said is probably very confusing for you.
wtf the majority of anarcho-capitalists agree with your view that ideas can't be scarce though.
>>
File: 55490.jpg (17 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
55490.jpg
17 KB, 400x300
A shitton
I don't care
Yes
I would if I knew how
>>
>>51924610
Most of my music, but I pay for Google Play All Access now and it's more convenient.
I guess I don't have morals. All decisions I make are circumstantial. I think absolute morals are irresponsible.
Nope.
No, but I don't consider this stealing.
>>
>>51924610
Hippocrites ITT

YOu call out Jamal for stealing phones,

but you're blind to your own thievery.

/g/ == Jamal
>>
>>51930089
While I don't want to defend piracy as a whole, I don't believe that stealing a $1000 TV and stealing a $1000 piece of software are equivalent.
>>
>>51930089
There is a difference between Jamal stealing and me stealing.
When Jamal steals, he wastes what he stole.
When we glorious cracker master race steal, just like with the continents we stole, we build, rrefine, and manufacture.

Jamal steals a program: Jamal sells it further.
Cracker steals a program: He learns the program, improves it, and utilizes it.

Big difference anon, big difference.
>>
>>51924610
99% of everything I ever used

LMAO

I'm a pirate, not a nigger.

What the fuck am I even reading
>>
>>51924610
Yes I just started pirating, and it's great. I'm not gonna stop any time soon.
Yes and no, not really stealing. Taking advantage of the situation, yes.
How is that stealing? You fuck.
>>
>>51924610
ayyyy cool meme check my doubles btw tbqhwy fammie xD
>>
>>51924743
Think about it like this.

Piracy is victimless, right? So in that case, if literally everyone did it, it would still be victimless, because the number of people doing something shouldn't change how "victimless" an act is.

So now content providers make $0, and the vast majority stop producing content.

Don't get me wrong, I do pirate more than my fair share, but if I have the chance to contribute actually to an artist (i.e. indie musicians on bandcamp, humble bundle, direct purchase of items from artist) I do and then I usually tip extra to displace one of the fuckos like you.
>>
>>51924610
around 2400 movies, maybe 60 TV shows, not sure about music, quite a lot of games, lots of software
i don't believe in intellectual property
no
sure
>>
>>51924610
>tell indesign to print all blacks as rich black
>still doesn't print them as rich black
>>
>>51924726
because you're not paying for hardware, you're actually paying for nvidia processing power. gpu models represent amount of processing power you're purchasing
overclocking is as much of a crime as piracy, please share it on social media

i'm of course not a thief. I don't pirate, i don't steal hardware and i certainly don't steal processing power. I'm using exactly as much of it as i paid for.
>>
>>51924610
a lot. for most software and media I pirated I can say I only use them cause I can get them for free or because I'm forced to due to studying. those fucking licenses cost more money than I could afford anyway (FUCK YOU MATHWORKS)

nope. hardware actually costs money to produce (every unit) and therefore stealing it would cause damage. very different from the moral point of vew.

how would that be stealing? no, anyway.
>>
I pirate proprietary software that is better than its' FOSS alternatives, and games (although I don't play much now).

My PC is running at stock clock speeds, but I've overclocked my phone.
>>
>>51924610
I haven't paid for software in fucking ever, I either get it through MSDN, corporate connections or outright piracy, and I simply don't give a shit. Most of the companies I'm "stealing" from don't make their money off of my demographic anyway, they make money from enterprise contracts.
>>
>>51925496
>not making your own battery charger

noob
>>
>>51926134
>But Anon, by doing that you are essentially upgrading your processor to a more expensive model. That's robbing Intel/AMD of that extra money...that money could go a long way

Intel literally makes locked processors, and unlocked processors. They want you to pay that extra 20$ to get an overclockable motherboard.
>>
>>51930869
That's because niggers are poor, anon.
>>
>>51930974
lmao
shill harder
if i buy a car am i paying for speed too? so i'm not allowed to do whatever modifications(making it faster) to it and use it on my own private property?
(driving on public streets is another matter, but that is for safety reasons rather than some imaginary theft)
>>
>how much
I'm poor but maybe half of my software is still purchased
>hardware
not really I did take a gen1 iphone to fuck with, which was half given to me.
>morals
basically i try not to "not purchase" the soft that I use from smaller and independent companies/startups. I feel no remorse in downloading COD or Photoshop or Sony products, but I feel a little for "not purchasing" KSP.
>>
>>51931344
it's a hell of a lot more than $20
>>
>>51924726
this is the first i'm hearing that people think modifying hardware you own is the same as pirating. wtf? why? if I own my car and porting the engine gives me better acceleration, how does that hurt honda?
>>
>>51930148
Okay... Jamal robs you of your contributions , what do you do?
>>
I'm a NEET and couldn't possibly have paid for even a small fraction of the shit I pirate.
I would have done without or starved.
>>
File: ^_^.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
^_^.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>>51924610
I haven't paid for windows since 1996.
In fact I haven't bought any software since '96.
>>
Do windows 10 activators work? Can i pirate it yet? could use the perf boost from directX
>>
>>51924829
If I couldn't pirate the music, I'd listen to it on YouTube.
>>
>>51924610
Stealing from jews only means you're getting your own money back.
Too bad piracy isn't stealing.
>>
>>51932392
>perf boost
>>
>>51924938
>>51925496
>stealing from schools
literally the worst thing you could do

>>51930974
Please don't reproduce
I met many retarded people in my years on this site but you easily made it into the top 10 with this

You actually don't understand shit, so please let me give you this one advice, and please take it:
You are horribly stupid and it hurts, don't ever try to spread the shit you believe to know about anything ever again.

Now please try to think about the shit you're telling us here for at least 5 minutes and maybe you find the giant flaws in your logic all by yourself. If you still don't get it then, just kill yourself.
>>
>>51930974
>because you're not paying for hardware, you're actually paying for nvidia processing power.
No I'm paying for hardware when I purchase hardware. If I wanted to purchase processing power I would use something like ec2 or azure.

>>51932225
>why?
Because OP believes if you purchase something you don't own it, the company who has patents on it does. Basically he is dumb faggot.
>>
>>51925489
>Also it makes you feel better-off than you are
oh yes, I'm sure that's piracy's fault.

Even Stallman supports piracy of non-free software, and stealing jewish media is acutally good. Only pay to people and artists who are actually worth it (for you).
>>
>>51930974
when you buy ramen, do you consider it a crime to cook it using different instructions than the label? add your own seasoning? after all, you're not actually paying for ramen, you're paying for how it tastes, and if you change that taste, you're robbing the ramen factory of $1 you could have paid by buying the bowl of soup.
>>
>>51924900
Sociopath detected.
>>
>>51925640
This desu. I spent over $1600 on audio software over the years. FL studio for instance made their program easily cracked, so people would try then buy.

If a movie is a good, I will buy it on blu ray.

Music doesn't apply because I'm a hipster faggot in that dept.
>>

a lot, but I'm poorfag with no job or prospects of one

I consider it a gray area. On the one hand I want to support development but on the other I can't afford it so I figure 'go ahead'

nope

didn't know that was a thing, but nope anyways.
>>
>>51924610

I rarely trust .exe torrents, so not many. I did get photoshoop and a couple odd overpriced programs, though. I downloaded probably several hundred gb of music when limewire was still around. Quit for a long time, then just recently downloaded all of Game of THRONES for my wife and all of DBZ for my son

Don't steal software from companies selling a good product at a fair price. Especially if they have good DRM practices and benefit the industry/ the consumer by existing. (ie: Mixcraft, Reaper, Harmony, and a few others)

Couple flash drives way back when.

I don't have to worry about that with AMD. As far as I know, they don't lock anything without good reason. (such as HBM overclocking being locked due to lack of testing)
>>
>>51932952
>THRONES
Idk why my phone decided that thrones needed to be capitalized...
>>
>>51932652
Compliment acknowledged
>>
>>51924610

lost count, i have no morals on that matter, i am posting from a stolen MBP, never unlocked cards, nerd
>>
>>51932474

>Because OP believes if you purchase something you don't own it, the company who has patents on it does. Basically he is dumb faggot.

Or a God-tier troll
>>
>>51932223
its a 20$ premium to get the K variant processors.
>>
>>51930974
>I set my pc to power saving mode and therefore stole from the electric company
>>
>>51932531
Underrated post
>>
I found a phone once and returned it as I knew they'd blacklist that IMEI.

How does one change the IMEI so the phone can't get barred?
>>
>>51935274
>Or a God-tier troll
I didn't consider this. If so, god-tier.
>>
>>51924677
if i steal your car, it's not there in the morning. pirating and stealing are not the same thing.
>>
>>51924610
Everything I've needed. Don't think it's unethical. Software is a good that is non-rival in consumption, meaning the socially optimal price is $0.
No Jamal.
Nope because I've never had a need to but theoretically I would.
>>
>>51924610
Windows, Office, Vidya you name it.
It's too expensive.
A mouse and some LED's from school.
No.
>>

Ahaha... that's a difficult question to quantify. I can at least tell you 'plenty'.

I've grown up as, and currently am, poverty trash. I'm also very choice about the media (music, games, etc) I consume. It's very likely that if I either had the money or will have the money to purchase all I enjoyed that such media would have or will be purchased.
... If you make it cheap, I'll find a way to support it. In a way, Steam has been a surprising drain on my funds in retrospect due to this very reason...

I've thought about this as a potential media creator, and I've ultimately decided that I care more about people being influenced, moved, or developed by my creations than actually making a substantial sum of money from them. If anything I make is ultimately pirate bait, so be it.

Software is... well, I've pirated plenty yet again, but the paywalls for some of them are ridiculous...

This one is a bit double edged for me.
I've never actually taken someone else's hardware that wasn't being disposed of anyways. But...
I work at the bottom of a certain retail corporation whose stock has recently went down the shitter. We do 'electronics recycling'. I live in a relatively middle-high class area (somehow) full of old people; needless to say, sometimes the 'junk' we recycle can actually be worth a huge chunk monetarily or in usability.
It's all stuff that's going to be smashed and melted for precious metals... kinda disgusting. So I sneak them out...
I've rescued a T400, a T420, and countless GBs of memory from hell. I'm actually recycling them instead - at the risk of being fired from this garbage dead end job.
(I wipe everything...)

I haven't really had the opportunities to do so.
I've done plenty of softmodding for game consoles, though, which isn't far off in this regard.
>>
>Overclocking is theft

Soon.
>>
RIAA tried strong arming pirates by slapping million dollar copyright suits against individuals in the 90s. That worked really well, music is the most pirated digital content of all. I guess trying to get burger flippers and single moms to pay millions of dollars in damages pretty much backfired and showed everyone who the real criminals are
>>
File: 1450155160230.jpg (40 KB, 438x438) Image search: [Google]
1450155160230.jpg
40 KB, 438x438
>>51924610
Windows 7 and Office 2010 Pro Plus about 20 times, well over 6000 albums in flac, about 150 seasons of mongoloid moving wallscrolls, a few vidya, miscellaneous software if I can't find FOSS
I'll let you do the math
idgaf
No, but I would if I had the opportunity
Not stealing, but I've done it
>>
>>51936449
You don't. It's burned in to the phone. I guess you could change it if you have access to the firmware. Illegal as fuck.
>>
File: 1365417500952.jpg (7 KB, 118x137) Image search: [Google]
1365417500952.jpg
7 KB, 118x137
>>51924610
>Display All Blacks as Rich Blacks
>>
>>51924610
My OS, all Adobe programs/tools that ain't free, a few games I wanted to test (Prototype, Mirrors Edge etc etc), stuff
>>
>>51927776
>MOUSE BALLS ARE TOP TIER OBJECTS

I can get behind this.

I never threw them at people but I did enjoy taking the mouse ball out and just appreciating its heft and texture.

Kids these days will never know that magical feeling you got the first time you rotated the little retaining plate and removed the mouse ball in all its glory. But they will never know about scraping the fucking finger / hand cheese off the wheels either.

Sheltered little pukes.
>>
>>51925496
If you torrent shit you can't afford, you're basically living in a dreamworld, while simultaneously making the real (working) world that's worth living in smaller and greedier.
Basically making poverty more comfortable, which can only lead to inaction, and an anticreative, antisocial act that makes the world worse in aggregate.
As for Stallman, freedom from DRM is awesome, but again, that really requires audiences to pony up.
>>
loads in the past, nowadays i mostly use FOSS. last piece of software i paid for was pycharm.
businesses and professionals shouldn't pirate, but for personal use i don't think it matters. i feel the same way whether it's software, music, or movies. basically, if you're making money out of other people's work you should pay for it (within reason), if you're not then who cares?
yes. when i was at university i used to steal computing equipment all the time. i lived on campus and would go into the labs at night and open up PCs and take hard drives and RAM and shit.
yes
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.