[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will buy any game on steam for someone who can get my R9 Fury
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1449378829488.gif (2 MB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
1449378829488.gif
2 MB, 1200x675
Will buy any game on steam for someone who can get my R9 Fury to work on a linux distro

So far I've tried both openSUSE and mint, both get an x server error during installation and give me a black screen after installation if I boot with the card plugged in. The card works perfectly in windows. So far I've tried updating the kernel to 4.3.3 which did not solve anything, and was unable to download the drivers since I can't use the OS with the card plugged in. I'm pretty terrible with linux and have mostly no idea what I am doing so please take that in mind when giving me a step by step guide to doing this. I am willing to use any distro, but would prefer mint since I already have that installed (17.3). If you need more information on my system just ask. First person to give me a guide that works can have any game on steam they want, or multiple games with a total of about $60. Or an item off the marketplace if you don't mind waiting for the no-trade period to end. Hopefully its not against the rules to offer a reward for help, but I am just so frustrated right now and haven't gotten any useful help in the past week of trying to fix this shit. Be sure to include your steam name or a junk email in your post so I can contact you

I want to be a linux gamer ;_;
>>
>>51924349
>linux gamer

your quest was doomed before it began
>>
Trying getting a distro that install proprietary drivers out of the box, instead of opensores one.
Maybe manjaro had the drivers out of the box cant remember.
Why would you use AMD card with Linux, it's just pain in the ass?
>>
But you were able to install the OS, right?
>>
>>51924791
yeah I just unplugged my gpu to install

>>51924716
Because I wanted to support AMD and not nvidia ;_;
>>
>>51924349
What distro are you running right now?
>>
>>51924896
Currently running mint 17.3
>>
I've now tried kernel 4.3 and 4.3.3
>>
>>51925087
did you install fglrx-updates?
>>
>>51924349
I'd help you but GOG is the only way to go. Steam is NSA's tentacle.
>>
>>51925220
Not unless it was done automatically. How do I do that?
>>
>>51925309
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates
>>
>>51925337
alright, and then try to install the drivers after that?
>>
>AMD
>Linux

I don't get why people try this.
>>
File: mintdrivers[1].png (65 KB, 642x505) Image search: [Google]
mintdrivers[1].png
65 KB, 642x505
>>51925387
those are the drivers. just make sure they are active like in this pic
>>
>>51925397
nvidia is even worse i thought
>>
>>51925441
Nvidia is the just werks drivers for Linux, and the proprietary drivers are even better.
AMD open source is ok but I would never consider it good.
AMD proprietary is shit to install, has a lot of problems in general and the performance boost is so "meh" you might as well stick with the open source drivers.

At least, that's my experience so far.
>>
>>51925441
As a company yes, Linus absolutely hates trying to cooperate with them.
Their drivers are still somehow miles better than AMD's drivers even for Linux, though.
>>
I have a few friends in SteamLug who might point you into a good direction, I'm not a Linux bro so I can't provide much help, but I guess it's something worth bringing up
>>
>>51924349
>fury
the open-source drivers are shit today, will only become decent in linux 4.5 with the powerplay patches.

apparently catalyst can finally be built on linux 4+ kernels, so you could try downloading the installer from amd's website. haven't found a ppa for it, but it should work, as it's reported to work on ubuntu.
>>
Try to install propiertary driver. If it does not work then thats it, amd's drivers are simply shit for linux
>>
>>51924349
install arch (or antergos if you want it to JustWerk) and install xf86-video-amdgpu instead of xf86-video-ati

source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

If it works please reply, I would like a copy of one of those metro games maybe, or half life 2
>>
>>51924349
Phoronix has a PowerPlay kernel set up here: http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Xmas-PP-Spin
>>
>>51924349
here is a vid of howto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOVBl3dMh4Q
>>
>>51924349

Run linux as a vm on windows and then play all yer games on windows and then just use linux for doing linux shit like browsing.
>>
>>51924824
Everyone knows that Nvidia has better support on Linux than AMD.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.