[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I went to fall for the thinkpad meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (339 KB, 1242x1564) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
339 KB, 1242x1564
Since /g/ is the #1 shill for the meme pad, I want some advice, I need a small laptop for work, I work on my own doing cellphone repairs, windows installs, home network setups, etc.
Currently I have a 17" dell studio which is heavy and ackward to carry around, I would like to know your opinion if that t420 series are good for my needs, basically rooting, iTunes bullshit, etc.
>>
>>51924232
Buy it! I have the same t420s - Best laptop i ever had. Youll just to replace the HDD with a SSD.
Also you'll need the UltraBay Battery then youll have over 6 hours of fun with it
>>
>>51924232
depends. do you consider that small? if not, go X series.
>>
go to the thinkpad general. your shit question doesn't deserve a thread of its own
>>
>>51924277
>>51924333
>>51924370
Thanks, you guys think is a good price for those specs, I am looking for a comfy bike messenger size for $200-250
>>
>>51924232
i had the t420 with the 1080p display, the battery life was like 2 hours, doing what >>51924277
said and getting one with a ultrabay battery or a 9 cell instead of the stock 6 cell battery would work aswell. the ultrabay battery iirc will cost you a fair amount.
>>51924333
im a huge fan of the x series, infact i sold my t420 for a x series. but i dont mind using a small laptop, its a bit bigger than a netbook and it had the option of the ips.

op if you dont want a 12.1 screen on your laptop, get the t420 but only with the ultrabay battery. if you want ips display get the x220.
>>
>>51924424
X series are only 12.1? Are those the ones with rotating display?
>>
I am looking for a decent 14.1 in the price range mentioned, what would you guys recommend?
>>
I have a x201 but I splurged and bought myself a x201s for 280.00 USD.

Am I going to be blown away from the 1440x900 screen res? Or did I fuck up.
>>
The thinkpad meme, is not even a meme.

I have the T420 and it is great. Although the screen is not the best... No other complaints GREAT laptop.
>>
>>51925070
When you said is not the best, how NOT?
I mean I am not looking for a photography/graphic designer tier, basically for some anime and 720p movies is the most that I am going to use it multimedia guise.
>>
>>51925106
>When you said is not the best, how NOT?

A little too small resolution for my tastes.

But then again this is my first laptop so I've been used to staring at my nice monitor every single day for many years.

I mean it works perfectly fine, it's just the one thing I would definitely improve on for comfort purposes. Everything else is just right.
>>
>>51924232
I bought my T420 for $150 at Microcenter. Also bought a dead T520 to cannibalize for parts. Stole the i7-2620m out of the T520 to swap over and replace the i5 in the T420.
>Core i7-2620m
>4gb ddr3 1033mhz
>1600x900 14.1" screen Matte
>working 6 cell battery
>320gb WD Blue drive brand new

Bought a 120gb Crucial MX100 ssd for boot, and ultrabay HDD caddy to put the drive it came with in the dvd slot, a 9 cell primary battery, and 9 cell slice battery.

All in all I spent under $450 for everything including the broken T520 which easily had $200 in parts. (CPU, brand new keyboard, HDD caddy, 2nd working 6 cell battery, etc)
>>
>>51924232
>t420s
enjoy your outdated hardware
new thinkpads aren't as great build quality as the older ones but they're still better than the usual consumer grade trash, also not outdated as HELL
>>
>>51925235
Pretty clever anon
>>
>>51925255
Compared to a 14" dell studio, which is a better option?
>>
>>51925288
Thinkpad T420 is god-tier for the pricepoint.

Literally best laptop unless you're considering $1000+ memetops.
>>
>>51925255
for general purpose computing needs such as notes, internet, the occasional VM, or code compiling, a T420/520/ W520 is more than enough for cheap-ish. Anything that even comes close to build quality and performance is easily $800.

inB4 poor

I have the money to go out and buy any laptop I want regardless of price. But for my needs, why? Used thinkpad works perfectly fine.

Now if you were talking about something like a T400 or T61 then I would agree.

>>51925260
thanks! Originally the T420 was $330 but Microcenter didn't properly wipe the drive, so not only was there still potential company data on there, but Windows wouldn't boot. So I jewed the salesman down. "Well a brand new WD 320gb is $50 here in store. Plus a new copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit is $140."

I made it sound like he was giving me a hassle so he threw in the new drive for free if I installed it myself. Plus I had them price match the SSD I bought. They wanted $85, newegg had it for $40.

The T520 I got for like pennies. They just wanted it gone so I think I got it for something like $50? Just has a broken charging port and the touchpad stops responding randomly.

Lol I made out like a bandit that day. Only stipulation they heavily hinted at so they would agree to the price matches and reduced prices was if I bought 2 year warranties on the ssd and laptop. Like $15 more I think.

>There were 2 still valid Windows 7 Pro keys on stickers on the bottom of the laptop.
>>
Don't fall for the thinkpad meme
Bought a t440s, worst decision ever
>>
Ive killed my t420s...
>>
>>51925369
Thanks, so far I think I am going to buy pic related, what's the difference between t420 and t420s
>>
>>51925456
>440s
found your problem
>>
>>51925456
What is wrong with it?
>>
>>51924277
same t420s owner. it is fucking based.
>>
Got a T420s because i was tired of the slowness that is X201t. It's reasonably fast but the screen is a little lackluster.
>>
>>51925106
Suitable for general use. Just nothing special, you won't be particularly impressed by anything about it. The resolution, colors, viewing angles, they're all merely passable. 15" Thinkpads are the ones that actually have good screens.

>>51925468
The -s suffix denotes a slim model. Upsides are guaranteed 900p screen, one native USB 3.0 port, and as the name implies it's significantly slimmer and lighter than a normal T420 would be. Downsides are that it runs hotter than a regular T420 (which is already pretty toasty), has a soldered CPU so you can't upgrade it, and has worse battery life and options. The SATA bay also only takes 7mm height drives, but if you're getting an SSD that won't matter. Serviceability might also be affected, I only had a T420s in my possession for a short time so I never had to do much with it but I looked into repasting and the HMM wanted me to take out like 25 screws in just one step, so I decided it wasn't worthwhile since it wasn't having any real heat problems anyway.
>>
>>51924232
Just get samsung
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.