[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/. Windows has a feature I never figured out how to duplicate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (64 KB, 1236x543) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
64 KB, 1236x543
Hi /g/.

Windows has a feature I never figured out how to duplicate in Linux.

You can click Browse... to upload a file and instead of selecting a file from disk, you paste the url into the filename box and bam instant upload without having to save the file locally.

How can I do this with linux?
>>
>>51924207
Use 4chanX
>>
>>51924207
It actually does save the file locally. I don't remember, but I remember when I was checking all the files on my computer of image types, .png, .gif, etc, I found all of them in a temporary folder which wasn't that temporary.
>>
>>51924301
Sorry, I don't remember where it's saved, I mean.
>>
>>51924301
I think it saves in the AppData folder, but it doesn't feel that way. If you paste a URL into the file manager field in any linux distro and browser i've tried to do it in, it doesn't work. I've tried it in Fedora, ubuntu, mint, and xubuntu on firefox and chromium and whatever snowbadger or whatever shit they package them with too.

it might save the file anyway, but the convenience of having it feel like it's not makes a huge difference in whether or not i'll post images and would be a real nice to have i'm surprised i haven't seem emulated
>>
>>51924301
in windows 7 its
%AppData%\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\randomletters
or something

>loonix users save every image they shitpost with
>>
>>51924252

or appchan x.
>>
>>51924207
That's asking too much from a hobbyist OS. Linux doesn't even show thumbnails in the file picker
>>
>>51924207
>without having to save the file locally.
that's not how it works
it's saved in %TEMP%
You save the file in a temporary folder, then you upload it.
>>
File: eYWULdV.png (8 KB, 388x319) Image search: [Google]
eYWULdV.png
8 KB, 388x319
>>51924477
>>51924614
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
>>
File: Linux_Supercomputers_stat.jpg (45 KB, 699x381) Image search: [Google]
Linux_Supercomputers_stat.jpg
45 KB, 699x381
>>51924614
>>
>>51924748
That...really doesn't offer much of a retort to what they said. Just because an OS is good for a supercomputer doesn't mean it's good for a consumer computer.
>>
>>51924663
very interesting. Thanks. I'm trying appchanX before i bother figuring out arch or maybe that in another distro im already familiar with
>>
>>51924663
>>51924789

https://launchpad.net/~helkaluin/+archive/ubuntu/gtk2-filechooser-iconview

looks like thats available in a ppa too. you're a good man
>>
>>51924614
Linux does show thumbnails in the file picker. Linux can do more than windows and gives people better control. It's a better OS
>>
I looked for that too, didn't find anything so I installed a Windows 8 virtual image in qemu whenever I wanna use it, jk
>>
>>51924915
i'm the op. i use them both. I use linux when i want to masturbate to weird shit because my wife doesn't know how to get in there and see my history and i'll be goddamned if i'm going to cover my tracks like some kind of criminal. they both serve their purposes
>>
>>51924915
Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel. There are plenty of Linux Distros that suck tons of dick. You may want to cite an actual OS that's better than Windows rather than the concept of Linux itself.
>>
>>51924951
>wife
how does it feels to be a cuck
>>
>>51924823
Oh hey look, the hobbyists have finally almost added this basic piece of core functionality. Nice! I mean, sure it took over a decade since the first report, but you have to give these guys some credit :)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.