[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/. I'm looking to build my own laptop pretty soon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1432175543557.gif (653 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1432175543557.gif
653 KB, 500x500
Hey /g/.

I'm looking to build my own laptop pretty soon - I've set aside a decent amount of cash (2000 bucks or so) for this, as my current rig has needed a serious upgrade for some time. I use my computer primarily for work and travel a lot, so an actual desktop computer isn't really an option for me. Problem is, although I'm really interested in the idea of building my own laptop, I don't know where to start, or even how possible it is. I've got a lot of tools and the money, I just don't know what parts to get or how to go about this.

Offer a poor idiot some help? Guides and advice on what parts to go for and as far as actual construction goes would be appreciated.
>>
>>51923712
Why would you build a laptop?
>>
It'd probably be easier to buy a new thinkpad.

The InstallGentoo wiki also has a few articles on laptops.
>>
>>51923736
>>51923744
I'd also like to hear any sort of recommendations you have as far as straight-up buying goes, but while I have to have this be a laptop for ease of transportation, I'd also like it to be the highest quality I can guarantee (and the ability to choose my own parts in building seems like the best plan as far as that goes). Am I wrong in thinking that? Also, checking around the wiki now.
>>
>>51923766
I'm getting a fedora vibe from you.
Do you even need a high spec laptop?
People always go to the top shelf with their purchases only to need like 1/50th of the actual potential.
Just buy a decent laptop, get the cheapest model and upgrade with your own parts.
Realistically all you'll be upgrading is ram and hard drive.
>>
>>51923766
It'd be a lot easier to just find a laptop with good specs and buy one pre-assembled. The general rule with laptops is that you get what you pay for, and 2000$ is more than enough for a decent laptop.
>>
>>51923818
>>51923825
Didn't mean to convey that, not sure why you'd be getting that sort of vibe. I run some reasonably high-intensity work on my laptop, and need higher specs for a more smooth run. But yeah, thanks for the advice, lads.
>>
Building a laptop from scratch isn't all that realistic (not in the same way you'd build a desktop, anyway). For the most configurable laptops, I recommend using a clevo (or a clevo reseller like eurocom or Sager). They're the most easily upgraded, and have good specs for the money.
>>
>>51923712
It is possible but chances are you will end up with some ghetto style laptop, and it would be quite a lot of work with very little payoff. Laptops unfortunately can't be built the same way as desktops, your best bet is just getting some gayman laptop or something like that, if you need processing power. Honestly personally I think blowing money on laptops is pretty pointless since all laptops suck now.
>>
>>51923712
>I'm looking to build my own laptop pretty soon
OK, why not, sounds like a fun little project…

>>51923766
>I have to have this be a laptop for ease of transportation,
Uh, oh…
>I'd also like it to be the highest quality I
Uhm, yeah, well…
> - I've set aside a decent amount of cash (2000 bucks or so)
hahahahahahahahah
If you want more than a raspberrypi in a gutted old thinkpad (have fun figuring out how to adress the proprietary display and keyboard connectors), you should at least add another zero to your budget.And you probably can still forget about portability and good looks.
>>
>>51923825
>you get what you pay for
I guess we all paid for a system that comes pre-crippled with bloat then
>>
>>51923712
>build my own laptop
literally how
>>
>>51923712
>buy Dell Precision M6600 with i7
>$500-600AUD usually
>buy dirt cheap quadro k5000m from ebay
>upgrade GPU
>have essentially a high end gaymen laptop with a GTX 680m with god tier build quality and cooling, and great keyboard for under $1k
Thing's quite hard to upgrade though, but you won't need a new heatsink or anything, should just be plugnplay plus some new thermal paste.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.