[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
which liquid cooler?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
the kraken x61 at $130? or the corsair h100i gtx at $100?
>>
Stock fan
>>
Push it to the limit and use no fan
>>
>>51922498
>water cooling
Just don't.
>>
Water cooling is to CPUs as razer is to peripherals
>>
These posters are all posting on ThinkPads OP, don't listen to them. My h100i has been a good performer, my CPU has never been over 45*C when playing the most intensive games. Plus the cpu mount and LEDs are really sleek. Only negative is the inherently loud fans, but maybe there would be a noticable difference if I purchased some nicer ones.
>>
>>51923186
>>51923154
Custom loop water cooling is fine.
AIO water cooling is cancer.
>>
>>51923273
This, custom water if you've got the money to burn, otherwise big air (Noctua D15, etc.)
>>
OP it was between these two for me. I ended up going for the X61 because it seems to get ever so slightly lower temps in benchmarks, is usually a little cheaper and imo looks nicer. Not much in between it.

I would like to say that the Kraken software is very good whilst the Corsair seems lacking, but I've only opened it up once to change the LED colour and set a custom fan profile so...
>>
>>51923484
'Big air' costs as much as AIO, performs worse, looks objectively worse and puts unnecessary strain on the mobo and CPU (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/218918-thinner-intel-skylake-cpus-are-breaking-because-of-third-party-cpu-coolers) all whilst increasing internal temp if the case.
>>
>>51923859

Big air doesn't leak water onto the motherboard though.
>>
>>51923903

Neither do AIOs.
>>
>>51923859
>Costs as much
Prove it.
>Performs worse
Prove it.
>Looks objectively worse
Disregarded, don't be a fuckwit.
>Unnecessary strain
Prove it. Never seen a mobo cracked or warped from a CPU cooler.
>drop tests
>static pressure remains the same limit
Cool link, I guess.
>All while increasing internal temps
Just fuck off already.
99% of cases have the heatsink pointed towards the exhaust anyway.
The suggested mounting method for AIO cancer is to have the rad intake cool air and vent it into the case anyway, or otherwise they're just sucking in charged air from other components as an exhaust.

Use your fucking brain before you post dumb shit.
>>
>>51923859
>So far, it seems like Scythe is the only company that has indicated its coolers are implicated in the reports.
>Skylake

wowitsfuckingnothing.png

>whilst increasing internal temp if the case

Learn to properly setup airflow.

>'Big air' costs as much as AIO

There are plenty of air coolers that are far cheaper and do within a few degrees of what an AIO does. AIO are terrible for price/performance.
>>
>>51923954
They can and have done so.
Hilariously, a few times by Corsair the warranties for components wasn't honored until it escalated publicly enough for them to budge.

Also, 'big air' doesn't have a lifespan anywhere near AIO's, which _will_ die. Shitty pumps anyway.
>>
>>51923986
>>51923995
>>51924002

Wah wah prove it. Wow you guys are so mad, you must have bought $100 'big air' coolers.
>>
>>51922498
There is almost no performance difference. Go H100i.
Personally, I've got the x61 and it's not worth the extra $30
>>
File: 1428792812823.jpg (10 KB, 200x213) Image search: [Google]
1428792812823.jpg
10 KB, 200x213
>>51924025
Oh look, an idiot.
>>
>>51924002

An entire comment of speculation and assumptions. 'Shitty pumps anyway' you have literally no idea what you are talking about, do you?
>>
>>51923247
I'm on 6600k with 220 fan...35 degrees while gaming, so fuck you
>>
>>51924052

Exactly the type of retort one could expect from an airfag. Calling someone an idiot isn't a legitimate comeback.
>>
>>51924056
If I did, could you prove me wrong?
If no, why bother replying to my post anyway?
>>
>>51924025
Open loop and a large passive cooler, after many large air coolers.

I will never buy an all in one with the current trend. No expansion, lifespans or adjustable features.
>>
>>51924056
>AIOs don't leak, stop the lies ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TijyKjs34
http://www.overclock.net/t/1223748/help-h100-leaking-need-advice
>>
>>51924073
Neither is UMAD and then showing your ignorance to even prices of good air coolers.
>>
>>51924089
>Adjustable features
Explain?
>>
>>51924056
They leak, google it, special attention to corsair units on major forums.
They do use shitty pumps, shitty sleeve bearings and laughable impellers.

Tell me where that fact is wrong.
>>
>>51924113
Have you ever seen an open loop before? Do you even know water cooling beyond marketed AIOs?
>>
>>51924113
I.e, able to be adjusted.
You want to mount the rad somewhere else?
You want to have the barbs at 90 degrees for clearance in some cases?
You want a thinner rad for your case?
You want a bigger pump to add a GPU block?

Maybe the word I was looking for is 'upgradeable'.
>>
>>51924099

Congratulations, two entire links. The guy probably damaged it whilst he was installing it.
>>
File: d5a.jpg (23 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
d5a.jpg
23 KB, 600x400
>>51924025
Is that your proof?
>>
>>51924109

umad, airfag?
>>
>>51924142
>probably
>while he was
Congratulations, two entire assumptions.

See, I can do that as well.
>>
>>51924116

'Laughable impellors' by what metric?
>>
>>51924142
>STOP IT, THEY ARE LYING ITS THEIR FAULT

How much is corsair paying you?
>>
>>51924188

I just got 0.5 shekels for this thread
>>
File: d15 frostytech.png (286 KB, 1268x2274) Image search: [Google]
d15 frostytech.png
286 KB, 1268x2274
>>51923859
>costs as much as AIO
No, the D15 is the most expensive, and it's only $90, while decent AIOs start at about $100 and go up from there
>performs worse
If you look only at temperatures. AIOs get slightly lower temps because the run fans much faster (and louder), and you also have to worry about pump noise (can't turn down pump RPM because AIO pumps are so shit that they can barely run a CPU-only loop even at max RPM). At a given noise level, air coolers will have equal, if not lower, temps while costing less. See pic - everything that outperforms the D15 is louder.
>looks objectively worse
>objectively
Kek. Also completely irrelevant. If you're a ricer, custom water is the only way to go.
> increasing internal temp if the case
If your case has half-decent airflow, this will be negligible. If you're so terrified, you can spend the money saved with an air cooler on an extra case fan or two.
>puts unnecessary strain on the mobo
Irrelevant unless UPS is throwing your case around during shipping, in which case you should disassemble most of it anyway. Abuse it enough and an AIO will leak as well.
>puts unnecessary strain on the CPU
That's only related to mounting pressure, not the weight of the cooler (which is supported entirely by the mobo). AIOs have no advantage here. Also,
>blaming coolers for Intel's cost-cutting
>>
>>51924322

>Basically agrees with me on all of my points

Thanks anon, you just lost the argument for yourself
>>
>>51924365
His first word is 'No'.

Try reading the whole post again.
Pay special attention to where he actually refutes your points, something you have not done.
>>
>>51924387

>AIO gets slightly lower temps
>IF your case has decent airflow
>Irrelevant unless
>Blaming Intel for making chips smaller

OK anon
>>
>>51923273
And yet the h60 I bought two years ago has yet to let my fx8350 go above 98°f
>>
>>51924422
Not much of a feat, considering stock coolers keep it under ambient.
>>
If you're going to jump into watercooling get something like the Swiftech or EKWB 'AIOs". Not the shitty Corsair or CM ones that you can never expand and have sub par parts. $140+ is where water coolers actually become decent enough to forgo air cooling. Though price to performance will almost always have aircoolers as the best.
>>
>>51924512
>Almost always
Always. This is coming from an open looper for the past 7 years.
>>
>>51922498
They are almost exactly identical, even down to the manufacturer, Asetek (what? you thought Corsair actually made their own AIOs?).
The GTX is newer, but uses a smaller radiator (240mm vs 280mm). The fans on the NZXT is shit, so you're better off with the H100i GTX and upgrading those loud-as-fuck Corsair fans with Noctuas or Be Quiet SP fans.
>>
>>51924806
Corsair is very good at re-branding other products.
Do they actually _make_ anything in that regard?
>>
>>51924821
Nope, not even their RAM. Those RAM NANDs are made by SK Hynix.
>>
>>51924833
of course they dont make the memory chips dumbass. and they use all chip manufacturers depending on whats available.
>>
>>51924931
Corsair started their business building RAM, cuckboy. I think the only original product they have is their fans, but even a monkey could design a fan.
>>
>>51924151
>D5 by anybody but Laing direct
Enjoy your shitty fail pump that's only rated to 60c.
Real Laing units are rated to 95c.

Also, lots of idiots use DDC pumps that are only rated to 35c.
It's 36c ambient, in this room, right now - a DDC wouldn't even be able to start within spec.
>>
>>51925011
It's an image I grabbed off images, calm your titties.

Having agreed that your claims are mostly true, I don't see pumps dying left right and center.
Usually, and hear me out, people don't live where it's 36c in their room, nor do they have pumps after components and before the radiators.

it may not start within spec, but it will work just fine. 'Within spec' is a widely abused metric, by manufacturers and warranties alike - not that they can prove such temperatures were exceeded.
>>
>>51924972
They made RAM sticks.
ie. They designed and fabricated PCBs, then stuck some outside sourced DRAM chips on it.
They never made DRAM.
Also, they don't make or design their fans.

They do design their own cases, but they don't build them, that's outsourced.
They design and even assemble their keyboards (the body is outsourced fabrication, but the PCBs and assembly is corsair)
>>
As a guy who just went AIO

I can say, get a big air if your setup allows it

I went for AIO because big air blocked my ram slots
>>
>>51923154
>>51922902
Fuck off
>>
>>51925969
Without sounding like an asshole, if you don't have high profile RAMsinks or check to see the clearances of your air cooler beforehand, this shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>51925994
i had to use a non heatspreader ram and a slim fan when i used big air
>>
Using h80 and evga's hybrid 980ti I am satisfied with them, dont understand the negativity
>>
File: Capture.jpg (23 KB, 299x237) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
23 KB, 299x237
>>51926009
>Non-heatspreader
Same profile as low-profile sinks.
>Slim fan
What does fan thickness have to do with it?

Also, where did this "Big air" umbrella term come from?
>>
>>51926131
because the standard thinkness fan would totally cover up one of the ram slot
>>
>>51926154
What height RAM were you using?!
>>
>>51926162
Not him, but I always ran into the very same thing with my 212 Evo.
Its why I ended up getting the Kraken X61 a while ago and have since pined for OLC.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.