[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ELON MUSK ON SUICIDE WATCH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4
File: 1448162834984.png (596 KB, 1339x649) Image search: [Google]
1448162834984.png
596 KB, 1339x649
>George Hotz single handedly invents a self driving car system that costs $1000
>Tesla is finished

>A friend introduced him to Musk, and they met at Tesla’s factory in Fremont, Calif., talking at length about the pros and perils of AI technology. Soon enough, the two men started figuring out a deal in which Hotz would help develop Tesla’s self-driving technology. There was a proposal that if Hotz could do better than Mobileye’s technology in a test, then Musk would reward him with a lucrative contract. Hotz, though, broke off the talks when he felt that Musk kept changing the terms. “Frankly, I think you should just work at Tesla,” Musk wrote to Hotz in an e-mail. “I’m happy to work out a multimillion-dollar bonus with a longer time horizon that pays out as soon as we discontinue Mobileye.”

>“I appreciate the offer,” Hotz replied, “but like I’ve said, I’m not looking for a job. I’ll ping you when I crush Mobileye.”

>Musk simply answered, “OK.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-george-hotz-self-driving-car/
>>
HOW CAN A MAN BE SO BASED‽
>>
>>51920072

Free market working as intended.
>>
>>51920072
Top Kek
>>
>>51920072
The shilling fucking has to stop!
What he did was only a single step above clockmed. Fucking shut the fuck up with the shilling already!
Then again I'm pretty sure the only one posting these threads is notsohotz himself.
>>
wait is this geohotz? The guy who pwned the PS3 and got sued?
>>
>Apple BTFO
>PlayStation BTFO
>Tesla BTFO

King of /g/
>>
>>
Who is George Hotz? Why am I expected to care about some nobody cracker making grandiose claims?
>>
>>51920266
You mean the guy who stole the work of people who cracked the PS3 and got sued? Just like he stole the work of others who worked towards unlocking the iPhone?
>>
>>51920266

thats what i was wondering
>>
>>51920266
The guy who keeps stealing everyone else's work and get credit for it because he's a media whore unlike people who perform the actual work.
>>
>>51920285
>>51920291
if it is then lmao at not selling musk the tech and then NEETing it up in the bahamas for life
>>
I got mad respect for geohotz.
>>
wasn't it confirmed he just used the car's normal drive assist?
>>
>>51920277
meme
>>
>>51920340
It was confirmed that his thing, if it works at all, does absolutely nothing different than the normal drive assist (i.e. it's not self-driving by any stretch of the imagination).
>>
>George Hotz
Literally who?

The media loves the story of lone young genius doing amazing things, but that's rarely how things work in reality. Making anything that will go into a production vehicle takes big teams, big budgets, and a lot of time.

College dropouts with no formal training might be able to make popular websites or iPhone apps, but they cannot play in the big leagues when it comes to hardcore engineering.
>>
>>51920072
Save Us Based Hotz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iUvuaChDEg
>>
>>51920390
This kid has been murdering big corp after big corp since he was 17. I remember the headlines from when it first happened.

This kid is the real deal.
>>
>>51920415
He's exactly as much "the real deal" as clockmed.
>>
>"O-Okay."
>>
>>51920415
This has to be trolling. He stole info from an IRC and did a hardware hack on a phone.
He then took software that was openly available and claimed he made it.

Now his "self driving car" turns out to just be cruise control.
>>
>>51920072
>“but like I’ve said, I’m not looking for a job.

fucking millenials never want to work
>>
>>51920285
How did he "steal" the work of others? If you watch his talks, you'll see he straight up says that he went into jailbreaking the iPhone knowing nothing, and took everything from the electrical engineers he asked for help.
>>
kek, he is a fraud just like Kim Schmitz years ago.
>>
Musk is like Jobs but without the reality distortion powers
>>
>>51920483
you're just a jelly motherfucker
>>
>>51920480
The mistake you're making is believing him.

I was there. IRC on the real dev channel (the other ones functioned like a sort of unofficial triage of capable people...) where we were working on dissecting the first firmware dump. "geohot" (I think there may have been a 0 in there instead of an 'o', but whatever) was working with the group until he had enough to go off on his own (remember: people had to create their own toolchain for lots of the work since OS X on ARM was new to the outside world at the time), at which point he rushed off to get one phone up and running and to start whoring himself out to the press as the "teenage wonderkid who defeated Apple's security". Really left a bad taste in the mouths of the people who were working together on a solution, and honestly was probably one of the big reasons why the early iPhone hacking scene became as fragmented and secretive as it was.
>>
>>51920554
That is copy pasta, I read that last sentence before today.
>>
>>51920072
http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-responds-to-george-hotz-bloomberg-story-2015-12

anyways, more people developing driverless cars, the better
>>
>>51920579
https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/3x319l/the_first_person_to_unlock_the_iphone_built_a/cy1g0l2
>>
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.00256
A real self-driving car ^
All you have to do is translate the details into code (which takes all of a day) and off you go, you can now claim to have "invented" the "self-driving car" just like hotz, except you'll have a real self-driving car instead of just a car's autopilot.
>>
>>51920601
Nah, I don't check Reddit, I'm not a fucking normie.

However, personally, I think that the fact that he was the only person to step forward to the news and claim a title as genius.. kinda is genius.
>>
>>51920744
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>51920200

Er... what "free market"?
>>
>>51920838

>Musk creates Tesla
>competitor makes something better and cheaper

Free market.
>>
File: Dog telling you really....jpg (191 KB, 970x617) Image search: [Google]
Dog telling you really....jpg
191 KB, 970x617
>>51920838
The one where you invent shit get bought out by a big company nad then never give a fuck about money.

The exact opposite of what this kid did.

So retarded.
>>
>>51920871

That's not a "free market".
>>
File: 1450123517338.png (25 KB, 609x749) Image search: [Google]
1450123517338.png
25 KB, 609x749
>tfw still no good yaoi fanfics of geohot and Elon Musk
>>
>>51920909
BIG BEN
I
G

B
E
N
>>
>>51920072
>Hotz is actually doing the whole thing to win a bet with Musk
>p-please notice me Elon-senpai
>>
>>51921453
racist? which race is he? how do you know i'm in a different race?
>>
>>51921511
>There was a proposal that if Hotz could do better than Mobileye’s technology in a test, then Musk would reward him with a lucrative contract.
>Knows his cruise control can't compete
>N-nothing personnel, Musk, it's w-war. *it was a hologram*
>>
>self driving car

What does it do when I'm the only passenger as a 25 year old white male and I'm on a collision course with a 6 year old lesbian transexual black girl that can only be averted by sending me off a cliff?
>>
>>51921705
Why would the car take into account your race, age, and sexual orientation? That's as retarded as having a computer that will run faster if the user is black.
>>
>>51921705
>when I crush mobileye

TOP KEK
this man is delusional
>>
>>51920072
Both Elon Musk and Hotz are frauds.

Automated cars will only work in Japan and Singapore.

Screencap this.
>>
>>51921705
It will probably run over the stronk womyn because CNN-based models historically have had poor track record of detecting black pedestrians (no, seriously).
The expected behavior, though, is that the car comes to as long a stop as possible to avoid the collision (i.e. try to not hard-break if possible, max-break if not).
Note that this has nothing to do with what Hot Fraud did, which is just standard autopilot.
>>
>>51920537
Not really, Musk is actually a competent engineer. He knows his shit and does more than just repackage other people's ideas in slick marketing, although he does plenty of that as well.

Plus, he works his ass off and is pretty approachable at work.
>>
>>51920537
s/Musk/Hotz/g
>>
>>51920436
GEOHOT IS A COMPETENT PROGRAMMER

CLOCKMED IS A PURE FRAUD
>>
THE GREAT THING ABOUT THIS IS THAT HE LITERALLY STARTED DOING THIS IN SPETMBER. GOD KNOWS WHAT HE'S GONNA DO IN THE NEXT YEAR.
>>
>>51923038
Geocold is literally a pure fraud. All he can do is literally steal other people's work.
>>
>>51923055
Wow, he did an hour's worth of work in 3 months, he's so genius and fast! Maybe by next year he'll have invented gravity so we can stop floating around!
>>
>>51923101
THATS STILL LITERALLY MORE COMPETENT THAN CLOCKMED IS

CLOCKMED COULDN'T HELLO WORLD HIS WAY OUT OF A PAPER BAG

>SOLDERS HIS OWN CPUS

CLOCKMED IS THE NEW GOLD STANDARD OF TECHNOLOGY FRAUD
>>
elon
>cried on camera when Armstrong called him a failure
>the embodiment of beta

geohot
>cocky
>doesn't give a shit about money
>hides his love of freedom under the guise of cocky bantz
>>
>>51923038

Geohot cracked the iPhone, PS3, and came out with a app that roots Samsung phones, an app that even my mom can figure out. He's done more at the age of 26 than you ever will. Piss off.
>>
>>51923291
The only freedom niggerhotz approves of is the freedom to steal other people's work.
>>
>>51923323
Too bad he did none of those things. But hey, ahmed muhammed invented the clock, so everything is possible!
>>
This is good stuff, but it's not tesla level, nor will it be. The reason he won't beat tesla is because he'll never reach a needed "safety threshold". It's good stuff, but there's too many "out there" situations like almost hitting a deer and seeing a big stone in the road (or is it just a paper bag???) that tesla's accounted for but his $1000 system will not.

The brilliant part in this comes not from software or even his hardware engineering, but in the fact that he's combined them in a marketable and media-friendly package with a poor mans price tag. $1000 for a DIY kit? or $2499 to get your's outfitted at your local hotz approved dealership? That's so fucking marketable. A DIY kit, now that's an Elon musk level idea.
>>
>>51923291
>>cried on camera when Armstrong called him a failure

Is this true
>>
>>51923904
The 60 minutes dude got something Armstrong had said out of context and made it sound like it was shitting on musk for being a shitty failure. It was out of context, though it was pretty sad to see Musk almost cry at the thought of his big hero (because he fucking loved Armstrong, probably still does) blowing him off.
>>
>>51923885
>A DIY kit
GOD NO

ELON WANTS TO LOCK YOU INTO TESLA BRAND, LITERALLY THE APPLE MODEL

DIY KIT HAS TOO MANY VARIABLES ANYWAY, WOULD NEED TO ALL BE INSPECTED TO BE ROAD LEGAL AND THAT AGENCY DOESNT EVEN EXIST
>>
>>51923723

He did all of them though. Sony even sued the piss out of him.

towelroot.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Computer_Entertainment_America,_Inc._v._Hotz

http://www.cultofmac.com/164137/meet-geohot-guy-who-unlocked-the-first-iphone-and-hacked-the-sony-ps3/
>>
>>51924083
>ahmed did invent the clock though
>http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20151215-texan-of-the-year-finalists-beth-van-duyne-and-ahmed-mohamed.ece
>http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/20151215-texan-of-the-year-finalists-beth-van-duyne-and-ahmed-mohamed.ece
>>
>>51924143

It's widely accepted that Ahmed recased a clock. I don't think the same is true of Geohot, and it would take more than rhetoric for me to believe so in light of the above links.
>>
>>51924183
GEOHOT ALLEGEDLY USED OTHER PEOPLES WORK

CLOCKMED LITERALLY WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH OTHER PEOPLES WORK

(UNLESS IT WAS A STOREBOUGHT ALARM CLOCK)
>>
>>51924183
The same is literally true of geohot, it is widely known that he copy-pasted other people's work, which is why the iphone scene, for instance, became so fragmented and secretive. The PS3 breaking stuff was published at C3 something like a year before geo "invent clock before it's" hot's garbage.
>>
>>51920305
He's like a less successful Steve Jobs.
>>
>>51924253
Yeah, and a much more efficient one at that, since he steals not just from one wozniak and xerox, but rather from whole pools of people.
>>
>>51924211
It's right under the backspace button. Two down. That's it. Just press that puppy and you'll seem a little less stupid.
>>
>>51924211
name a programmer that doesn't steal/copy these days
>>
>>51924339
What kind of Kyrgyzstani keyboard layout are you using?
>>
>>51924339
Return?
>>
>>51924382
You are not even understanding what I'm telling you buddy. If you cannot see what I am clearly spelling out for you then I am afraid I cannot help you my friend. Bibbity bobbity.
>>
>>51924398
MACFAG DETECTED!

TRY GNU+ENTER KEY
>>
>>51924426
It depends on the OS, but they are separate keys. iirc on a lot of keyboards with the key labeled "Enter" under backspace actually send a Return to the OS
>>
>>51920072
>“But don’t touch any buttons, or we’ll die.” Hotz explains that his self-driving setup, like the autopilot feature on a Tesla, is meant for highways, not chaotic city streets.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.
>>
File: 1439869135313.webm (2 MB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
1439869135313.webm
2 MB, 720x576
Hotz if you visit /g/ I'd want to say your work and theiphonewiki has been of infinite value and inspiration for my career

I love you
>>
>>51925089
machine learning with some cameras google did that shit years ago, whats the big deal.
so hes using camera sensors instead of magnetic sensor & camera i cant imagine its 100% accurate either and if dust or mud particle get anywhere near the camera lens your going to die, sure he can sell the software but its not reliable.
the kid has nothing to show that hasnt been done by google for years.
>>
>>51925826
Google wants humans for their self driving cars
Tesla and Comma.io wants their self driving cars for humans
>>
>>51925826
So where's your self driving car?
>>
>>51925913
my point is where is the actual innovation here?
>>
>>51925278
DAM OCEAN U SCARY
>>
>>51920072
> >George Hotz single handedly invents a self driving car system that costs $1000

I thought the article said it was around $50,000.
>>
>>51925278
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE
>>
>>51925278
Good goy.
>>
>>51925089
How the fuck is he even supposed to test his shit? I don't think he has a private highway where he can test whatever he made
>>
>>51926197
That's part of the problem.

His tests are all self made, I bet you Tesla and fucks are going through fucking stack loads more tests than he is, and have to because of health and safety and other shit.

In the article it says his shit barely managed to navigate an S bend. That's better than I can say I've made a self driving car do but he's nowhere near Tesla/Google.
>>
complete navigational awareness is what is required not babys first autopilot cant even navigate a corner mode.
the guy seems pretty inspired though
>>
>>51926357
Inspired to steal indeed.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.