[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best /g/-related job? Sysadmin? Coder? Computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: normans.jpg (77 KB, 800x780) Image search: [Google]
normans.jpg
77 KB, 800x780
What's the best /g/-related job?

Sysadmin? Coder? Computer engineer?
>>
install gentoo
>>
File: le unpaid canine.jpg (113 KB, 971x592) Image search: [Google]
le unpaid canine.jpg
113 KB, 971x592
a FLOSS logo designer
>>
>>51920062
Freelance web developer

>wear whatever you want
>work for yourself
>work as quickly/slowly as you want
>work as much or as little as you want
>no education required
>>
>>51920139
fuck off
>>
>>51920139
///////////can you make a living off this? How much if you live in London UK?
>>
>>51920333
no
>>
>>51920347
install gentoo
>>
why is /g/ such shit?
>>
>>51920062
CEO at a Fortune 500 tech company
>enough money to buy anything
>>
>>51920424
Because /v/ and reddit won't fuck off and die already.
>>
>>51920424
Because all kind of people who want to make a quick buck with technology come here; wannabe haxors, leet reverse engineers; people who think that knowledge of arcane old shit like Lisp or old Unix makes their pale existence worth something. People who worship this crap instead of learning to exploit it and getting on with their life and to more interesting, more advanced concepts.
Smartphone nignogs, greasy thinkpad hobos and shills for the tinny crapbooks. muh "pure science" nignogs. People who think Boomboxes are fun. Degenerates weebs and worst, egoshills who create generals for their uninteresting crap.

All kind of insecure people, Morty. All of those put their dragon dildos way up their but, Morty. They put it wayyyyyyyyy up.
>>
>>51921338
>smartphones
>thinkpads
>crapbooks
all that shit is consumer garbage that should be kicked off the board. I can deal with anime, but consumer shit should be deleted on the spot.
>>
>>51921365
The board won't get automagically better if we purge consumerism and let neckbeard weeb elitism alive.
>>
>>51920062
Shouldn't it be:
>NORMANS GET OUT
>REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLSSSSSS
>>
>>51921480
Oh, nevermind, I thought I was on /sci/.
>>
System Engineer
>>
>>51920139
Sup fellow webdev

Do you bill at hourly rate, daily, or per-project?
>>
>>51921524
$100 per hour
>>
>>51920062
I am perspiring to be a business intelligence architect or data scientist/analyst
>data science is meme
>big data is a buzz word
>>
Being a shill is about as /g/ as it gets.
>>
>>51921606
>I am perspiring
Don't sweat it dude
>>
>>51920062
Concrete finisher.

Fucken-A.
>>
NEET
>>
>>51920139
>>51920333
>>51920347
>>51921524
>>51921601

I considered trying to be a freelance webdev but I ended up working as a webdev for a company, and now I wouldn't consider going freelance at all (apart from maybe much later in my career, when I have more experience and I know exactly what I'm doing and how much I can charge for it)

In a company you've got a regular income, job security, opportunities to learn and take on whatever jobs you want (well some stuff you are obviously given, but for other stuff you can say "I want to do this" and they'll be like "awesome"), and you even have the opportunity to do things outside of webdev. I was helping our marketing manager create marketing shit in Adobe Creative Suite, and I was doing some of our promotional shit using social media and email campaigns and whatever. Basically you can add more strings to your bow.

To be fair I wasn't working for a web design/development agency - instead I was working for a finance company, and I was just developing our internal and our public facing websites. Arguably, this is better than developing for a web agency, because you don't have to pander to a client, demanding that the website does this, or does that, or looks like how their shitty tastes want it to look.

Just my two pennies t.b.h.
>>
>>51921662
pls give me job ty
>>
>>51921606
>I am perspiring

Steady on there chap
>>
tell me /g/ how do you become a sysadmin?
>>
I install various avionics components and computers into f/a-18 Super Hornets. I also load software onto those components. Does that count?
>>
>>51921723
How is the RAAF as an employer?
>>
>>51920062
Professional shill.
>>
>>51921695

I quit that job because, uh, I'm stupid I guess. I didn't learn to communicate properly so that's something I have to work on. I felt someone was giving me shit, but really it was my responsibility to say "hang on, you're asking me to do work that isn't really my job. I have my own set of responsibilities. If you would like me to do this work then I can discuss that but I do not appreciate the fact that you are expecting me to do things outside of my job description, and besides, you're not my boss because this dude is." Yeah, basically I should have just said that.

ANYWAY

Mate if you want a job doing that then there are LOTS of jobs like that right now. Just work on your CV and send out loads of applications. At the moment I am applying to jobs on LinkedIn and it is going quite well - I had two interviews and they both went pretty good. LinkedIn is good because it's all professional jobs (whereas things like Monster.com and Indeed.com have all sorts of jobs, ranging from toilet cleaner to CEO). So at least there's like a good standard of companies. Also you can sometimes see how many people have applied which is pretty cool.
>>
>>51921723

That sounds dope. I remember someone on /g/ once telling me I should get into avionics because it's a cash cow

How does one into avionics, bruh?
>>
>>51921761
This.
>>
>>51921789
ty for your explanation! I don't have much other than the desire to be a webdev desu or at least nothing to show for it. Not really sure where to start from the complete bottom

Where you from anon?
>>
>>51921662
>I wouldn't consider going freelance at all (apart from maybe much later in my career, when I have more experience and I know exactly what I'm doing and how much I can charge for it)

Also: once you have built up a portfolio of contacts.

I've been founding that "freelance" is pretty much a terrible idea unless you're ready and willing to spend a HUGE amount of time and energy promoting yourself, networking, and sifting through the 90% of bullshit "I just need a techie to implement my awesome idea (Facebook for hot dogs), but I can only pay $200".
>>
>>51921892
>I don't have much other than the desire to be a webdev desu or at least nothing to show for it. Not really sure where to start from the complete bottom

Well you should get something otherwise they probably won't really be interested. I only really got into it by taking literally ONE class in web dev when I was at uni (taking a philosophy degree). So literally one ten-week course, which was probably one lecture a week I think.

But you can definitely teach yourself a lot of it. Obviously the basics that EVERY web dev needs to know are HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. No matter what, you will need a basic knowledge of those. Then you will almost certainly need a server-side language - which one you pick probably doesn't matter, because learning one will teach you many concepts that are also used by the others. PHP might be the obvious choice, it is what I did at university. Then my job has been in Ruby on Rails which I think is much better. It's also quite different. Ruby on Rails is an MVC (model-view-controller) framework. There are MVC frameworks for PHP (e.g. CodeIgniter, Laravel) but PHP is not MVC by default. PHP on its own is pretty simple. You could learn MVC, since a lot of companies will use MVC frameworks these days, but I didn't know MVC before I joined my company, all I knew was some really basic PHP. So that's the thing - as long as you know the basics, can show some work you've done, and show an enthusiasm, companies are willing to take you on and train you.

Codecademy is definitely invaluable, I would recommend going on there. Just plow through the courses on HTML, CSS, JavaScript at a bare minimum, then choose either PHP or Ruby on Rails, or perhaps Python, as well. I would probably recommend PHP because it's the most widely used.

(continued, give me a sec...)
>>
>>51921892
>>51922027

So yeah, do the Codecademy courses, they are designed to teach complete beginners, and they are really very well thought out. They are the best way for a beginner to learn in my opinion.

Once you have done those three basic courses in HTML, CSS and JS, you will be able to make basic websites. Try and make something, because personal projects are what will get you a job. Actually I didn't even have anything to show for myself when I got my job, but I had done some projects at uni and outside of uni that I could tell my boss about, and I guess that got me the job. But preferably you want something you can put on your own GitHub account. Many employers these days will ask you straight away to see your GitHub account, with some of your own work on it.

I mentioned PHP and other server-side languages - what I should have also mentioned is databases. Any dynamic website with server-side processing is (almost always) using a database. MySQL is the most common open source one probably. I'm pretty sure there's a Codecademy course on MySQL too. So yeah, if I were you I'd start with the basic three courses - HTML, CSS, JavaScript - then do a server-side language, probably PHP, and MySQL. Then you'll know everything you need to get a job, I reckon (those are all the things that I knew, anyway).

Sorry I'm rambling fucking loads, it's 2am and my brain is switching off, but yeah, hope there's something useful in all that.

Oh and I'm from the UK by the way. My job was in London. And London is where I'm applying for new jobs because it's where so many of the tech jobs in this country are. Probably like 80% of the tech jobs. Or maybe 70%. A lot, anyway.
>>
>>51921961
>Also: once you have built up a portfolio of contacts.
True
>"freelance" is pretty much a terrible idea unless you're ready and willing to spend a HUGE amount of time and energy promoting yourself
Exactly. Fuck dat. Just want to be making bills at the end of the day.
>sifting through the 90% of bullshit "I just need a techie to implement my awesome idea (Facebook for hot dogs), but I can only pay $200".
Again, exactly. I think you're opening yourself up to being taken advantage of as a freelancer. Everyone is going to try and screw you. This is why I think I would only want to be a freelancer if I was a very experienced web developer who a) has contacts, b) knows exactly how much his work is worth, and c) can justify his decisions with "hey look, I did all this amazing fucking work for all these amazing companies, and they loved it, so I think I'm justified in saying that your stupid idea is stupid, and my idea is going to be better".
>>
>>51921961
>>51922145
Also
>Facebook for hot dogs
Kek
>>
>>51920139
>work for food
It is fine though if you live somewhere in the shithole where everybody are even poorer than you.
>>
>trust me, I'm a software "engineer"

At that point I just stop listening
>>
>>51921961
>spend a HUGE amount of time and energy promoting yourself
That's all you need. Doesn't even require to be any qualified or have a nice portfolio. Get a fancy blog where you post useless shit, github with 100500 forks, and a large description of how awesome you are. Client thinks like "oh this guy posts so much programming shit, I bet he's really good!".
>>
>>51922265

Why's that?
>>
>>51922280
Oh, and you definitely should have a personal javascript framework who uses no one but you.
>>
>>51922305
Are you dumb?

I'd rather contribute to multiple javashit frameworks than make my own. And I wouldnt release it in public if it werent good too.
>>
>>51920062
phone salesman
>>
Dildo inspector.
>>
>>51922280
>>51922305

So you're saying, don't even become a good web dev, just blag it?

Personally I'd rather just make good work. I wouldn't want to be stuck with headaches of clients coming back to me down the line, saying "this is really shit work, it's not working properly, and you better fix it or we'll take you to court for breach of contract"

Just don't need that headache t.b.h.
>>
>>51922377
you better be charging extra for supporting your own creation

Too many times peopl call me up to do somehing or osmething broke, when the documentation we provided covers their problems.

If you'e gonna write software you hve to maintain and support, you better goddamn paid well.
>>
>>51922345
That's not how freelance works. Contributions to foreign frameworks doesn't look as solid and respectable as you very much own framework for the client.

Did George Hotz contributed to anything? No. Did he made anything useful at all? I don't think so.

And soon he will be a billionaire and you'll suck cock with your "contributions".
>>
>>51922398

True I guess but what if the product didn't work in the first place? E.g. they haven't broken it, but your code was just buggy? Then they'll expect you to fix it for no extra cost

I'm just saying it's probably more worth your time to actually learn your trade properly, rather than invest your time in creating an elaborate ruse to persuade people you know shit that you don't.
>>
>>51922377
You just have to be sufficient. If you are really trying to become a pro then you don't have enough time for promotion bullshit.
>>
>>51922412

>George Hotz
Who? No dont tell me about him i dont care.

It's a matter of principle. Im not gonna release my framework that doesnt compete or exceed existing frameworks.

OH I mean real frameworks. That have tests, that do work and is not kiddy tier toyshit that came out of someone's asshole in a weekend of skimming over javascript.
>>
>>51922454
That's why you poor.
>>
>>51922438
>shipping code without tests

You need tests to confirm your stuff is working. You just need the application to fulfill the business requirements. This is to minimize problems when blame game comes around. You jut need to be able to prove that problem is not yours.

>rather than invest your time in creating an elaborate ruse to persuade people you know shit that you don't
of course man, but sometimes, fake it til you make it works
>>
File: 1449352690008.jpg (2 MB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
1449352690008.jpg
2 MB, 2272x1704
>>51920062
>normans
we William the Bastard now?
>>
>>51922471
Okay ill bite. I want to see your framework that you released for your clients.

Youre foolish if you do no leverage what already exists.
>>
>>51922489
Don't worry, I'm poor and principle as well. Just observing.
>>
>>51922472
>fake it til you make it works
Now that's a real freelancer speaks
>>
>>51922444

Well exactly. If you learn good skills then that opens up better jobs. And in my past web dev position I was learning stuff about marketing and general shit about how to run a business too as well as all the web dev stuff. Which was cool.

My time is better spent doing that really than freelancing.

>>51922472
>You need tests to confirm your stuff is working. You just need the application to fulfill the business requirements. This is to minimize problems when blame game comes around. You jut need to be able to prove that problem is not yours.
Yeah that's true. I guess that's something I've learned to an extent but probably need to learn a bit more.

>of course man, but sometimes, fake it til you make it works
Also true to an extent I guess, I mean I definitely faked it to get my last job, I really didn't know shit and just learned on the job. It was a Ruby on Rails job and I had never studied anything about Ruby before in my entire life.

Anyway, I was just trying to make the point that I think joining a company is better than trying to freelance, unless you are very experienced and know what you are doing and, perhaps most importantly, have experience of dealing with the BUSINESS side of software development (how much to charge, how to deal with people trying to blame you / screw you / whatever). I guess if you were ambitious you could just jump into that, but I don't see the point. I'll learn in companies first.
>>
I hope the answer is computer engineer or the last 3.5 years of my life have been for naught
>>
>Getting a job solely based on a Chinese cartoon imageboard
>>
>>51922617

What the fuck even is a computer engineer

Network engineer? Hardware engineer? Software engineer?
>>
File: eao.jpg (150 KB, 1280x718) Image search: [Google]
eao.jpg
150 KB, 1280x718
>>51922660
Everything at once
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.