[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chrome OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3
File: toshiba-chromebook-2-full-hd.png (920 KB, 1192x893) Image search: [Google]
toshiba-chromebook-2-full-hd.png
920 KB, 1192x893
So I'm looking for a portable, light and cheap laptop with long ass battery life for uni. I would use it for notetaking and light browsing. Would a chromebook be a viable option? I have a good desktop computer and a MemePad X200s but its battery is shit (1 year old) and it's bulky as fuck and I'd like something lighter with a good battery life. I don't care about the "botnet"

Pic related.
>>
>>51919441
Get a chrome book
Install Gentoo
>>
Don't fall for the "you need nothing more" meme and buy a crippled laptop running a crippled OS. Sure, you could install real GNU/Linux and wipe chromeOS, but you might accidentally reset it on boot - or break something - or find some proprietary program you need for school like WPS office won't run on ARM - and find that the web-app equivalent is godawful, only works online, and has poor support for the format you're required to use.

Buy a midrange winderps laptop. 6-8 hours of battery life is pretty easy to find. Just don't be an autist about thinness. You are male, no? There's a point where profile and weight cease to matter. Chromebooks, MBAs, etc pass it.
>>
>>51921502
do you even thin client
>>
I want to get a chrome book but I don't want a fucking celeron processor
>>
Don't listen to these fucktards, it's not a meme it's market fragmentation.

I bought an Acer CB3-111 for $95 for the exact reasons you listed. I takenotes with it, write code with it, and consume media with it. I can ssh into my shit at home or at the lab when I need to. It is good enough for any sane laptop activity.

Pros:

It is light as fuck.

I've been averaging 9 hours on a full charge, daily since thanksgiving.

Crouton makes it painless to install your favorite flavor of linux (Xubuntu for me)

Low profile SD adapter + 128GB microSD card = all the space I need

Cons:

It's flimsy. I got a replacement plan for $15 (another benefit of the low overall cost)

I've noticed some lag on normie websites, especially god-awful syndicated news outlets. This might just be chrome struggling with flash.
>>
>>51921502
half the chromebooks are using intel now
>>
>>51923566
its more than half, closer to all of them, at least of the current generation
>>
>>51923589
samsung will never stop using their own arm chips
>>
>>51923521
>This might just be chrome struggling with flash

That is your processor struggling, or worse your ram bottlenecking if you only have a 1GB/2GB model. Page trashing will absolutely kill performance.
>>
>>51923603
fair enough, but Samsung hasn't even updated theirs in the last year though right?
>>
>>51921502
if you use arch linux it literally does everything you need for university

stay retarded though
>>
>>51923624
thanks for your input
>>
>>51923680
If it's your ram, which likely is with cheap chromebooks then you can look at if your chromebook uses memory slots or if its soldered on. If it uses slots you can upgrade it pretty cheap.

There's a good chance its soldered on tho.
>>
>>51921502
>literal moron
>>
My friend has the Toshiba one and uses it for classes. Battery life is amazing, lasts several days usually. The Pixel 2 is also amazing, if you want a higher end option.
>>
>>51923716
>Pixel 2
>paying more than $300 for a chromebook
>paying more than $1000 for a chromebook
>>
>>51923697
missing the point - it's not about performance. As OP said, it's a cheap laptop used for notetaking and light browsing.
>>
>>51923780
Have you ever used one? Considering how bad Windows has gotten at just running Chrome and how little else I use it for, I see no problem with a really good Chromebook that can always run Linux if I need it to.
>>
File: 1428469460313.jpg (82 KB, 500x603) Image search: [Google]
1428469460313.jpg
82 KB, 500x603
>>51923795
Enjoy struggling to even view the web then.

Learn to use pen and paper if you want a cheap notetaking solution, kid.
>>
>>51923812
even the $200 Chromebooks have no problem opening 20+ tabs
>>
>>51923803
Why would you pay $1500+ on a chromebook to remove Chrome OS and install Linux?

The latest google Pixel is trash for the price you pay.

A gimped 2-core i7 that markets off hyperthreading to make up for it.

only 64GB of SSD promoting you to buy into their shitty cloud

not even a dedicated gpu at $1500

and the screen is some retarded non-standard size.

There are better laptops for less than this for less cost.
>>
>>51922892

Uh? Why not?

The Bay Trail Celerons are neck in neck in performance with similar clock i7s?
>>
>>51923863

Why would you pay $1500?

For less than $300 you can get a Bay Trail CPU, 4GB ram, 16GB SSD and 100 GB of free cloud storage, 14" IPS screen and 6-8 hours of battery life.
>>
>>51919441

Get one.

If battery life is a real concern, consider getting something like an HP 11" Chromebook:

They do 6 or so hours on a charge with a 2600mah battery, but they also have a microusb slot that you can run a power bank off of.

A 10000 mah powerbank will run you less than $30 and give you nearly 4x extra battery.
>>
>>51923521
So you don't use Chrome OS at all? Did you ditch it right when you got the laptop or did you use it before? I'd like to hear some experiences about the OS.
>>51924672
I've been looking at the toshiba chromebook 2.
+Fanless
+1920x1080 screen
+Good battery life
-Ugly skullcandy logo
-Fanless means weaker processor
>>
Not op, I installed chrome os on a usb stick to test on a netbook. It's only good for very basic work. I tried using Plex in it and it couldn't even handle that. No change in battery life either.
>>
Logical increments has page on laptops
>read the sticky
>>
>>51922892
Then get one of the high-end chromebooks? Like Dell's Chromebook 13 or something.
>>
ChromeOS will deal with schoolwork, browsing, note taking and has full google docs on it.

Then you can install crouton and do chroot things with a more "full" version of linux. However putting a chromebook into developer mode can be described as rooting an android phone. It opens up most of the potential of gentoo, just no portage.

The Acer c720 or CB3 are god tier chromebooks, the CB3 is my personal preference, as it has a 2.6ghz celeron and its light as hell with a really long battery life.
>>
>>51919441
>buying a knockoff of an Rmbp
Why? Girls will see it at a distance and think it's real, but when they get near they'll see a disappointment of a man. Do yourself a favor and just buy an rmbp.
>>
>>51926164
Kek. I don't need to impress girls. I already have a gf :^)
>>
>>51926176
And that's great, but for how long? You can only lie about having an rmpb for so long, she's bound to find out soon. It's statistically proven, people with rmpb are more successful, and found more attractive. I don't know who you're trying to fool, her or yourself.
>>
>>51923838
If I'm just browsing 4chan, I can run up to 30 tabs on my Acer c720 4GB model. If I'm watching videos on youtube AND browsing 4chan, I can manage one YT tab, and about 10 4chan tabs.
>>
>>51925974
That's your netbook's problem. My chromebook has 8 hours of battery life on a full charge with 4 different sites open all day.
>>
>>51926137
I can attest to the c720
>>
>>51926194

>spends less than $250 on Chromebook
>spends $1000+ for a rMBP

Really? Chromebook has at least half the capability of a Macbook, at a small fraction of the price. If you're a college student, you're better off with a Chromebook.
>>
>>51919441
Great work machines. ChromeOS is kinda suck because it needs a connection to be worth a damn, but use crouton to put linux on it and snag a cheap 3.0 USB for storage.
>>
>>51927398
Well, they do have offline programs you can install.
>>
Get Surface Pro 4 if you can afford it.
>>
I don't know what the fuck you fags do to your computers, I have a fucking AMD APU netbook with 4 gigs of ram and it's more than enough to play 720p videos on youtube and keep 20 browser tabs open, using unoptimized AMD drivers on gahnoo linux... and on windows I can run 1080p no problem.
>>
>>51925855

I use it.

You have both Chrome OS and Linux running simultaneously, switch between them with ctrl shift alt F2.

It's called Crouton.
>>
>>51928748
I do the same.

Also, if you have a windows machine you can remote into it very easily using the inbuilt tools, which is nice. Essentially means you can get three operating systems in one small machine.
>>
>>51928792
That's good to know if I need to do some windows only tasks in uni.
>>
>>51923863
What is another $1000 laptop with a high dpi screen and 12 hours of battery life that can run Linux well? I don't give a shit about i7s or GPUs, if I wanted to compute something I would SSH into my AWS box.
>>
Not even shilling here, I fuggen love these things. I've got everyone in my house using them, and it saves me SO much time and energy. I never have yo fix them, never have to do tinkering. Got ublock https everywhere, and I just send them off. It's a beautiful thing. There's three of them in my house, not including mine. They were so cheap and it's just so perfect for us

I've got a pixel myself, dualbooting ChromeOS and Linux.
>>
My biggest concern is if I can comfortably type on an 11inch Chromebook keyboard. I have above average hands and Ive struggled typing on netbooks in the past. I was struggling to find a good cheap 13inch Chromebook to suit my needs if you guys can convince me I won't get arthritis from an 11inch one please do so and save me tons of effort because there are soooo many 11in chromebooka
>>
>>51930670
>>51930670
Toshiba Chromebook 2
>>
>>51919441
Hp1000
>>
>>51930710
I'm looking for the cheapest one I can get, was currently looking at Asus c300. It's about 150$ depending where I can get it. I'd prefer to spend as little as possible as I already have a laptop and a desktop I just want a Chromebook to type and light web browsing on.
>>
>>51930794
Maybe look into a Chromebook flip?
>>
If you need anymore convincing VLC just got ported to Android. Now you can watch you're waifu for up to 12 hours on a single charge!
>>
>>51930840
Sorry not android, ChromeOS
>>
>>51921318
>>>51919441 (OP)
>Get a chrome book
>Install Gentoo
Funny thing is, chrome os is based on Gentoo.
>>
>>51930794
I have a C300. Get the 4GB model for sure. The cpu is still pretty anemic, I'd prefer a haswell processor instead. But the battery life is insane, it's a great travel laptop.
>>
>>51919441

Get the 4Gb Asus C201, flash libreboot on it, add a TP-LINK TL-WN722, install Debian Jessie (armhf port) with XFCE. Totally blobless. Thank me later.
>>
>>51930979
have you actually done it? does it work well? can it stream 720p videos decently
>>
>>51928748
>>51928792
how does it work, is the gnu/linux installation real or just in a VM or something? is it hardware accelerated? can you watch videos/play old games?
>>
>>51930979
>I don't care about the "botnet"
>>
>>51921318
Is there some way to run linux software on it?
>>
>>51931431
this was for >>51930866
>>
>>51924616
Because that's how much a pixel 2 costs if that's what he wants. Even 300 for a chromebook with specs like you listed is a joke.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.