[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a bunch of old 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 10GB hard drives laying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2
File: HDD_1846530b.jpg (56 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
HDD_1846530b.jpg
56 KB, 620x388
I have a bunch of old 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and 10GB hard drives laying around. Are they useful for anything or should I bin them? I can't even install Windows 7 on them they are too small.
>>
I like destroying things like that.
>>
>>51919038
Depends. Are you a retarded hoarder, or can you put garbage in a garbage can without autistic pain?
>>
Make clocks out of them.
>>
its trash

build it apart for self education
>>
install gentoo on them, then leave them somewere at public places
>>
Keep them to annoy law enforcement if you ever get raided. They'll have to go through each one, it might even save your ass if you have so many that it ends up costing so much the investigation gets canned due to lack of funds. I have 600 floppy disks and every old flash drive I have ever owned in a draw for this purpose. Some poor sap will have to scan each one and go though all the random shit left on them.
>>
>>51919092
underrated post
>>
>>51919092
What kind of clocks are we talking about, Ahmed?
>>
>>51919328
homemade ones.
>>
Use them for a swap partition
i use a 50gb pata drive for swap :)
>>
>>51919193
>>51919328
It was not that kind of joke.
Take the cover off the drive, exposing the disk, and put two hands on it. It can be an interesting thing to do and you get a cool looking table clock.
>>
>>51919152
Or better yet, don't do shit that you'll get raided for.
>>
Spin them really fast until they break or download cp on them so that you can smash them if you need to.
>>
>>51919038
You can make shit out of them. I have seen a cnc mill made with stuff from it
>>
>>51919038
Go /k/ on them.
>>
>>51919038
sell them on eBay, especially if they're high end, could probably get $20-$30 a piece out of them, old drives are getting harder and harder to come by for old hardware projects and shit
>>
>>51919038
Put them into one big RAID array
>>
I take them apart and use the platters as rifle/pistol targets.
>>
OP this is your only option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yISqCAnROh8
>>
>>51919941

hehe nice
>>
>>51919038
I was going to link a website I saw once about this guy who made yo-yo's out of old hard drives, but I can't find it. They were supposedly really smooth too. So try that
>>
Build a big slingshot and launch them through the windows of people you don't like
>>
>>51919038
I always take the rare earth magnets and Torx screws out of those things.
>>
Remove the innards and use them to smuggle illicit goods
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJNFnxuc68
>>
>>51919405

DO NOT DO THIS, THIS IS A BOMB DEVICE

I REPEAT

DO
NOT
DO
THIS
>>
>>51919405
Why stop there?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy103O3qAQc
>>
>>51919145
this
>>
>>51919038
fill with encrypted data

>FBI has to deal with cracking way more shit when they end up arresting you
>>
>>51919038
>>51920733

I think those magnets in there are super strong, right? I remember playing with some in physics lab in college.

Definitely get those magnets out, OP.
>>
These are still useful if you are a business that supports clients with old shit. New drives have that "limiter" on them to limit them to 8GB or so because the old motherboards can't even address sizes larger. Old job I used to work at, we would keep about 10 of these for a client that had to stick with Windows 95 due to the HP Vectras they were in were controllers for a $50,000 metal router that was basically their whole business
>>
>>51923683
Have you ever had to actually replace a drive? I always wonder how the reliability really is on them after so long, all my ancient drives work fine but I don't run them 24/7 for years at a time.
>>
>>51919152
Autismus Maximus
>>
>>51919038
donate them to the bsd project, there are people that need them for specialty applications, mainly development...
>>
>>51919371
>fucking slow HDD
>using it for swap
>>
>>51925304
*projects
>>
>>51919152

They will just plant CP on a random one, there's literally no way anyone can prove they didn't when the jewdicial system is full of affirmative action nigger/women judges that don't know shit about technology.
>>
>>51919405
>clockface rotating at 7200rpm

Would buy
>>
>>51919038

Yes

As other posters have said

>Take the cover off and just use it as a nice display item
>Make a clock
>Get the rare earth magnets out and use them for projects (i.e. Vinyl wrap, hanging chit off of walls, but be careful, very strong)
>Throw them at passing cars
>Cut a piece of the platter out, power it up svc use it as a shredder for post-tit notes
>>
>>51927931
Or you can send them to me Ill make good use of them.
>>
>>51927558
Stick your dick in it
>>
How strong are the magnets in these, exactly? If it sticks to something accidentally, can I just use my hands to remove it or do I need to use something else?
>>
>>51919152
Why would you get raided?
>>
>>51921562
>That music
2007 all over again
>>
>>51919405
Hdd contains muatardgass if you open it you WILL die
>>
Three fucking words.

Rare. Earth. Magnets.
>>
>>51928977
You can pry them off with your hands but it can easily pinch the fuck out of you and take some skin with it.
>>
>>51928977
Stronk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdLA4w3w58
>>
>>51929695
Fake
>>
>>51919038
I just trashed two 200GB IDE drives
>>
>>51928977
Well, you CAN take them off with your own hands, but it's rather hard, and when they go off, the other side usually still sticks to the metal surface, and if your grip loosens, it'll snap back and probably break itself. That happened to me a few years ago, except it snapped back on one of my fingers, it broke muh bone. So really OP, be-careful with those, strong bitches.
>>
>>51925234
Great question. The original drive from the HP Vectra lasted 20 years. These were from 1997 and had simply been stored since then. We replaced it in 2012 and it has been going since then 24/7.
>>
a 16gb microSD card is $5-8... And uses a fraction of 1 watt of electricity....

Find a recycling center and drop the drives off. If they contain sensitive data, smash them with a hammer first.
>>
>>51931425
That isn't too surprising I guess. Hell, running them 24/7 is actually probably way better for them- steady power flow and movement helps keep sludge deposits away.

Most failed drives I've come across were usually jostled around or suffered from severe stiction. Experience has shown me old equipment is way more resilient than a lot of people give it credit for.
>>
File: flash.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
flash.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>51931609
If you ever run into this problem again and have time to fix it, you can use solutions like pic related. They also make IDE to CF or SD card adapters for the same reason, that you are buying kind of an SSD that is small enough to not make the motherboard freak out. They also actually do make IDE SSDs but they are expensive, rare, and will give you the same problem you started with in that they are too big. Honestly the only reason we kept these drives is to have an instant solution because all they care about is time.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.