[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some computer related careers that don't involve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
What are some computer related careers that don't involve turning yourself into a codemonkey? Currently a first year transfer student at my uni. I've got about two more quarters left before I can apply for a program and I'd like to do Computer Engineering or pretty much any engineering that let's me build physical things rather than work with software 24/7.
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 2000x1328) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 2000x1328
Found a company
>>
what's a code monkey again?
and if they get paid 60k+ a year while getting to sit in a cozy office, why complain?

some people are really ungrateful.
>>
>>51917659
/g/ says it's someone who only works in software clacking away at a keyboard all day. I don't have anything against them. It's just not a career path I want.
>>
>>51918061
>who only works in software clacking away at a keyboard all day.
So you want to be a field engineer then?
>>
>>51918265
I just don't want to do something that only results in software. I'd like engineering projects that result in physical products that people can use.
>>
>>51917659
>sitting

Absolutely disgusting you beta cuck, if you don't dream of having a job where you are moving around and working with your hands then you are not a man.
>>
>>51917272
>any engineering that let's me build physical things rather than work with software 24/7.

Here's some advice: CHANGE YOUR DEGREE AS SOON AS YOU CAN

Do mechanical engineering, or aeronautical engineering, or whatever. If I could go and do a degree again it would probably be mechanical engineering.

Get out of software as soon as you can because it's SHIT. As I say, if I could train for something else I would do it, but I can't afford to. You're in the prime position. Go and get it while you can.
>>
>>51917272
>>51918749

To expand on this, I guarantee you that you will still use computers if you do something like mechanical engineering. So if you're worrying "I want to work on physical products, but I do quite like computers", then don't. Because you will still use computers a lot for computer-aided design and shit like that.

All I'm saying is that I can completely feel you on hating being a code-monkey, because I fucking hate it also, and I always dream of being a real engineer who could work on actual physical products, which is why I reckon I would study mechanical engineering if I could. But I can't really. So meh. You should do something about it while you still can though.

Let me just put it like this. If you're thinking:
>I'd like engineering projects that result in physical products that people can use.
Then change your degree NOW and take up mechanical engineering or some other physical engineering before it's too late. Here's another thing to consider - say you get a mechanical engineering degree and then think "actually I like programming". You can do that! Mechanical engineering jobs DO require a specific degree - programming jobs DON'T. My degree is in philosophy, and I'm a programmer because you don't NEED to have a computer science/engineering degree to be a programmer - evidence of your own projects, or work experience, is enough to get you in. But traditional engineering fields absolutely DO require a degree, that gives you basic knowledge of physics, maths, and all that stuff. So yeah, a traditional engineering degree will keep ALL the career doors open for you - but the computer engineering degree won't. That's my take on it.
>>
>>51918749
>>51918932
Op here. Thanks for the insight. It was really helpful in guiding me towards what I need to be looking at in my school programs. Say I want to work at Microsoft (they have amazing employee benefits) and design computers or devices, what kind of degree would help me land a job there?
>>
All engineers are programmers.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.