[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why not ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: fedora-logo-100528469-large.png (61 KB, 580x388) Image search: [Google]
fedora-logo-100528469-large.png
61 KB, 580x388
inb4 meme os , what meme ffs !
>>
fedora is shit
>>
Fedora user here, it's pretty good for what I'm doing, e.g. brogramming, web browsing, reports, homework.
>>
>>51913879
it just don't work, try installing it and get everything to work.

>pro tip : you can't
>>
>>51913879
OpenSuse is better.
>>
>>51913879
Best distro for workstation and laptop, everyone saying the contrary is either a fag or never actually used Fedora in the past 5 years.
>>
File: 7bc.jpg (44 KB, 600x893) Image search: [Google]
7bc.jpg
44 KB, 600x893
>he tests red hat software for free
>he does it for free
>>
I just switched back to Fedora after using Gentoo for a year.

Fedora problems:

Have to reinstall at least once per year due to no long term support

Something is always broken with every release, by the time it's fixed support for that release is over

It's a pain to try to maintain your own kernel patches / source repos. I just don't customize my kernel on Fedora

Good things:

dnf is easy compared to portage. Not necessarily better, but definitely easier.

They make some good decisions about how to organize things in the os, it's clear that they really try to make all the bleeding-edge stuff work even though it never all works

Basically I like Gentoo better theoretically but stuff was slowly breaking and I'm not neet enough right now to spend time fixing it. Fedora just breaks all at once but once you deal with that you're good for six months to a year. I also want the latest kernels.
>>
>>51913879
because it's not debian
>>
The package manager is buggy and slow and the developers are SJWs.
>>
>>51915459
>Have to reinstall at least once per year due to no long term support

As of the most recent version of Fedora, dnf now allows totally painless upgrading. It's almost as easy as just running a regular update now.
>>
>>51915500
Thanks anon, I'll give it a shot when 24 comes out.
>>
>>51913879
My experience with fedora has been great. Its a stable distro that still is pretty cutting edge.
But for my day to day use im comfy on debian.
It has so much more packeges and if you use testing you have a reasl stable rolling release branch. No more new installs. :)
>>
File: 1432458096074.png (117 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
1432458096074.png
117 KB, 320x263
>>51913879
>>
File: 1443370522724.gif (3 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1443370522724.gif
3 MB, 200x150
>>51913879
>why not ?
>>
>>51915484
that's where you're wrong , dnf is awesome and pretty easy
>>
>>51915121
Agree installed opensuse after using arch and funtoo it's awesome works, zypper is completely fine and pretty fast. Used fedora for a while it's fine nothing special but i have one big problem with it windows update is almost fater than yum, might as well compile from source.
>>
It has been couple of years since I used Fedora, but here is my 2c:

- 6 month upgrade cycle is worst of all worlds. Go with either rolling release or LTS model

- The upgrader was bit unreliable at the time

- Building rpms is far more annoying/tedious than debs or Arch pkgs.

- Smaller repositories than e.g. Debian

- Weirdly opinionated at some points (both pro and con)

- Having the RedHat heritage makes it interesting and relatively solid

I would say go with it if you can stand the release model, but I know I couldn't and any upsides it has were not nearly enough to balance that out for me.
>>
>>51913879
fedora is absolute shit, go for grownup distros like Arch or Debian
>>
Fedora is a good OS, why would people hate on Fedora in this board? It is good tech.
>>
>>51917783
mainly because it's RedHat's bitch, and RH is evil itself in the gnulinux universe
>>
>>51917779
>Arch
>grownup

topkek
>>
People hate on Fedora, but it's pretty much CentOS testing. Or Red Hat Enterprise Linux for normal desktops.

People are idiots, it's a great distro.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.