[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/ Socially-challenged anon here. I just got my first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11
Sup /g/

Socially-challenged anon here.

I just got my first job in a 50 people company. What would be a good way for me to start my first day?

I was thinking about bringing pastries for the whole team.

Should I greet everybody in the company as I get there, or should I greet them as I meet them?

I'm completely at loss here...

I'm posting on /g/ because it's a tech-related job.
>>
Greet as you meet.
>>
>>51910844
Sounds reasonable, thanks.

What if I meet like 20+ people at the break room at once?
Should I wave and say hi to everybody or should I go shake everybody's hand individually?
>>
File: alright_then.jpg (129 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
alright_then.jpg
129 KB, 620x400
>>51910830

Keep it mind that people remember how you make THEM feel.

So be cool, attentive, listen more than you talk and make them feel nice as well.
>>
bring donuts or muffins
>>
Greet as you meet. Also bringing something to eat is a good idea, but don't just go around offering it to everyone you meet, leave it on the break room table over lunch break.

What you're going for is "hi, I'm nice and friendly!", not " please like me I'm desperate to make friends."
>>
>>51910867
usually the most appropriate way is to drop your pants and being ejaculating over the nearest feminist

bring the pastry too
>>
Also don't try too hard. No one expects you to memorise fifty names at once, if you forget one just say "sorry, what was your name again?" And they'll answer unless they're jerks.
>>
>>51910883
This sounds good imo. Also remember that first impressions aren't everything so seriously don't stress it though.

I'd like you if you brought the food and put it in the break room, just don't forget to put a note on it saying "take some" or something like that on it.
>>
File: Samuel L Jackson facepalm.gif (427 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
Samuel L Jackson facepalm.gif
427 KB, 400x271
>>51910870
Good advice, thanks

>>51910877
Cool. Glad to hear this isn't a dumb idea. I guess it's a good way to make everybody aware I'm happy to be there without actually awkwardly going to shake each of their hands in sequence

>>51910883
Awesome, thanks.

>>51910893
Ah, good to know. I'll try to have elegant underpants on, then.

>>51910905
Cool. I'm fucking terrible at names.
>>
File: wave.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
wave.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>51910934
Ah yes, a small note sounds in order. Thanks.
>>
File: japan.gif (738 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
japan.gif
738 KB, 500x372
I also once read (here, I think) that it was a good idea to look dumb to my colleagues so they don't feel threatened by me, and look smart to my boss...

Is this true or should I just be myself?
>>
File: NanaRandom4.jpg (239 KB, 980x708) Image search: [Google]
NanaRandom4.jpg
239 KB, 980x708
pastries? is op yuro?

don't bring pastries that your mom cooked you fucking fagget. just be friendly.

if you love the pastry idea so much, do it one of your first few weeks on a friday
>>
>>51911008
Be yourself
>>
Say hello to your boss and the people immediately next to you

And don't bring them anything you autistic fuck
>>
File: tumblr_nxvyopEzAM1skn1oxo2_400.gif (2 MB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxvyopEzAM1skn1oxo2_400.gif
2 MB, 350x263
>>51911214
>is op yuro
yes

>if you love the pastry idea so much, do it one of your first few weeks on a friday
so not on the first day? why?

>>51911292
Yeah I guess it's always better.
I suck at lying, too...

>>51911351
>Say hello to your boss and the people immediately next to you
Makes sense, thanks

>And don't bring them anything you autistic fuck
Why is that?
>>
Greet everyone with a smile and then get to work.

Don't bring them fucking pastries you autist.
>>
File: tumblr_nusu3ujlE01skn1oxo1_400.gif (2 MB, 373x480) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nusu3ujlE01skn1oxo1_400.gif
2 MB, 373x480
>>51911410
>Don't bring them fucking pastries you autist
I thought it would be friendly
What negative message do you think that would convey? (and no, "autist" doesn't fit)
>>
>>51911373
No idea what's wrong with pastries. At my workplace everyone brings something when they join, when they leave, and on birthdays.
It's a nice gesture, and nobody will think bad of you for it, ever. Usually it's cake, muffins, or something. Occasionally sandwiches.
>>
>>51911473
And would bringing a couple cakes I baked myself be over the line? or should I just stick with pastries from a nice bakery?
>>
>>51911511
Honestly, it depends on how confident you are about the result.
If you're a good baker, homemade is fine. It's what most do at our place, anyway. If it's your first attempt at making a certain cake, you'd better not try your luck.
Also, if you haven't seen your workplace yet, don't expect to see 50 people at once. Most likely you'll only be able to offer your cake to half of them. It's fine to bring your cake at the last day of your first week, when you have an idea of how many people will be eating.
>>
>>51910830
Wagecuck
>>
Dont bring pastries on the first day.. thats awkward af. You dont even know what they like and dont like to eat. If someone offers you to go to the cantine with you, then do it, go with them. If you are new they will be usually friendly towards you.

Oh and dont worry to much what they will thin about you.
>>
>>51911511

YOU'LL BE KNOWN AS THE PASTRY FAGGOT FOREVER

DON'T FUCKING BRING GIFTS
>>
File: 1437850495938.jpg (87 KB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
1437850495938.jpg
87 KB, 700x520
>>51910830
Oh man... Pastries.
>EMMM PAASTRIESS
>"So who bought 'em?"
>"The new autistic guy"
>"Psst I heard his mom made them"
>[Awwing intensifies]
>>
Jesus OP, please don't be this sperggy try-hard like-me faggot. Be polite to everyone and introduce yourself; don't be afraid to ask someone their name again. Don't fucking act like you've never had a job before. People expect you to be polite and professional at first; just sound a few weeks getting to know the feel of the office before you try anything.
>>
File: Jurrassic Perth.gif (2 MB, 500x266) Image search: [Google]
Jurrassic Perth.gif
2 MB, 500x266
>>51911559
That sounds reasonable

>>51911697
>thats awkward af
I'll think about it

>>51911705
lol
I'm chubby too so that'd be a great nickname (or not)

>>51911786
fug

>>51911855
yeah, that's starting to get me thinking.
>>
>>51911855
This is probably the most sound advice. Just greet and meet first, try doing the whole cakes and pastries thing a few weeks into the job as a "thanks guys for accepting me into the team" sort of thing.
>>
File: 1391694609439.gif (2 MB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1391694609439.gif
2 MB, 259x194
>>51912033
Yep, I think I'll be sticking to this.

Thanks for your advice y'all - I need to go outside now but feel free to keep discussing the subject if you'd like

Peace
>>
>>51912075
just try and be you'reself anon. to quote someone,
"Familiarity + confidence - too friendly = successful"

Good luck.
>>
OP, I did something like this at the first company I worked for. I bought doughnuts about two weeks in and brought them for everyone at the company to enjoy. I was still fired 8 months after being hired because I was a mediocre worker with a kind of lousy attitude.

My advice, years later and having kept my current job a lot longer, would be for you to just act professionally. Introduce yourself to people and get to know your co-workers. Understand the office culture inside out. And any effort you were going to spend on pastries... spend it on bettering your skills instead. At the end of the day, the company will keep you on if you are profitable for them and if you're decently cool enough to work with. So just work and be courteous, no need to go spending your hard-earned money on things that may or may not curry favour.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/The-Miracle-Mindfulness-Introduction-Meditation/dp/0807012394
>>
>>51910867
Just intodruce yourself. Shaking hands from everybody is a Bit weird.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.