[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Almost all official Microsoft hardware drivers are 10 years old,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.png (3 KB, 240x103) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3 KB, 240x103
Almost all official Microsoft hardware drivers are 10 years old, even on Windows 10.
>Microsoft hasn't updated their hardware drivers since Windows Vista.
>Windows shills will defend this.
>>
how could anyone defend this, linux drivers get updated constantly
>>
Care to explain what is broken with that driver?
>>
>>51910695
>Implying something has to be broken in order to be able to make improvements.
I'm sure advancements have been made since MySpace was the number one most popular site.
>>
>>51910687
they also break constantly
>>
>>51910701
>I'm sure advancements have been made since MySpace was the number one most popular site.

I don't really care about websites though, some examples of why that driver needs updating would be welcome though.
Is it broken? Is it causing bad performance? Is it unstable?
>>
linux drivers never improve anything either, they just add more support for hardware. something microsoft doesn't need, since almost all hardware is produced for windows and the drivers come directly from the manufacturers
>>
So basically Windows drivers worked 10 years ago and Anime/OS ones still need updates?
>>
>>51910668
The MS drivers are there so it just werks well enough after a new installation to download/install the proper drivers.
>>
>>51910668
As a Linux user, I am offended because half my hardware doesn't even have drivers.
>>
>>51910727
>linux drivers never improve anything either, they just add more support for hardware. something microsoft doesn't need, since almost all hardware is produced for windows and the drivers come directly from the manufacturers
they do, nobody actually wants Supertek® Network™ Gaming™ Booster® Pro™ just to use an ethernet controller or any other device.
simple drivers created or at least audited by microsoft would serve windows well
another problem is legacy hardware.
sure, nobody uses a pentium 2, but if you have old hardware that still does what you need like graphics cards, sound cards, anything else you may still use. at least they could bother recompiling the drivers for their new OS
unless they write shitty static code that needs to be rewritten every few years because they change their mind or hardcoded max 64 GB ram
>>
File: Capture.png (11 KB, 343x261) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
11 KB, 343x261
This is really embarrassing.
>>
>2006 Windows drivers work perfectly
>Half of 2015 Linux drivers doesn't work at all
Someone should really be embarrassed, but it's not Microsoft.
>>
Protip: Microsoft doesn't write hardware drivers, not even for their own (somewhat rare) actual branded hardware. Their branded hardware is made by other companies like Kensington (mice) or Keytronic (keyboards) and those OEMs write the drivers.

For everything else not branded as Microsoft, the drivers are supplied by the hardware manufacturers.
>>
>>51910892
weird, in all of my lifetime I've only ever owned one device that didn't work with Linux
several that didn't work with Windows
and I have had a lot of computers, I mean device as in component, not the whole computer, never experienced that.
>>
>>51910892
lolwat.

Linux has some of the best, most solid device support, especially for legacy hardware.

One exception is older ATI GPU but the gap is being closed quickly... and lots of those legacy ATI GPU's would never work on modern Windows anyway.
>>
>>51910668
are you mad that their drivers just work and they don't need to update them? :^)
>>
>>51910932
Pretty much, if anything, criticizing Linux for device support might just be the most stupid thing to pick on.

If you want to pick on something pick on difficulty of use, unstable software in some distros or lack of commercial software support.
Those are literally the only things I can think of that may be negative for some people about Linux*.
>>
>>51910931
>werkz 4 me
>>
>>51910668
>updating something just because it's '''old'''
i really want to slowly and brutally torture you death

words cannot encompass how deeply i loathe you
>>
>>51910932
So you're denying multiple wifi drivers, build in webcams and sound drivers don't work on Linux?
>>
File: black&white2[1].jpg (68 KB, 560x420) Image search: [Google]
black&white2[1].jpg
68 KB, 560x420
>>51910668
if it works don't fix it™
>>
would it make you happy if they updated it

BUTTTTTT

only updated the code date so that it always reads the current day?

I mean technically, if it's not broken, that's all that would need updating
>>
>>51910991
he's a filthy fanboy

microsoft still blows linux out of the water with legacy support ( a point that linuxtards bring up as a point against microsoft ) and microshit supports more stuff than linux does. If it doesnt work out of the box, it takes 30 seconds to get a painless .exe from the manufacturer

linux is and always will be a niche IT tool
>>
>>51910701
yeah, keyboards and mice sure have changed since then
>>
>>51911021
Linux for servers when possible. Windows > Mac > Linux for desktop productivity in a job that earns enough to not be a hippie freetard Stallcuck.
>>
>>51910668
> posting a cropped screencap of a driver for an Intel Celeron from 2003
> jerking it with all my maintainer friends
> forgetting that I don't dev shit
> working on my waifu battlestation instead of learning any useful skillset
>>
>>51911021
>servers
aka niche IT tool

retarded fanboys need to understand that linux is not for their stupid ricer anime threads- it's for doing important, esoteric work by the wizards and hermits of the information age
>>
>>51910837
>old hardware for new os hurr durr

Dude how fucking braindamaged would you be to install windows 10 on a pentium 2. And even if you have old hardware xp is sometimes too much.. so why bother
>>
I don't use Windows but I don't see how this is a problem. The drivers work, don't they?
If you want to see old crap, look at Xorg. Isn't that like, 30 years old now?
>>
WTF is with all the Linux hostility here.

Fuck off back to >>>/v/

Fucking "im a gamer" faggots
>>
>>51910668
Those are fairly standard drivers, I'm surprised they've even been updated in 2006.

I typed this pots with a driver made in 1998.
>>
>>51911595
Wayland is ok on Fedora 23 as of yet. Still has a ways to go. And they're trying to get more support to Wayland to move away from Xorg
>>
>>51912516
>>51912516
kill yourlsef dumb freetard
>I need CPU drivers I swear
hang yourself
>>
>>51912851
/thread
>>
>>51912516
>ctrl f 'game'
>1 of 1 results
>your post

someone sure is sensitive about his anime wallpapers
>>
>>51910668

By 2006 Dick Cheney got his way and Intel capitulated too. 2006 is the hardware cut-off date anons.

http://libreboot.org/faq/#intelme
>>
>>51910733
SHOTS FIRED
>>
what is the fucking point of updating the driver for usb 2.0 ports
they fucking works WELL so just shut up, it was different if they didn't work
>>
>>51911021
Half the time the manufacturers don't provide drivers for recent versions of Windows, the other half Microsoft simply kills drivers by dropping support for older driver models
Just try running W10 with a R500 ATi card, or even Intel iGPU's from the same era
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.