[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why are people suddenly buying this deprecated technology? i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 14
File: vinyl-record.jpg (105 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
vinyl-record.jpg
105 KB, 1280x1024
why are people suddenly buying this deprecated technology?

i don't see anyone buying cassettes or VCR's
>>
>>51907579
Becauseshwaahshwah itshewahahw soundssshhatarraa bettterrereggsssaha
>>
meme meme meme meme
meme
meme
meme
>>
No matter what analog sound is better than digital. There is no such thing as a curved line on a computer
>>
It sounds good and record covers are nice to look at.
>>
>>51907579
Yes, Cassettes are making a comeback.

VHS tapes are the only way I can get Decker vs. Dracula. Not deprecated.
>>
>>51907579
It's just different, I like it
>>
>>51907609
This is an idiot.
Idiots can be identified as thus:
They post idiotic things.
Do ignore the idiot.
Idiots are bad.

This is a friendly reminder.
>>
>>51907609
That crackling sound is true clarity.
>>
>>51907579
For me it is because records are the format the music was originally sold in. The mixes on the record are often different from the "digital remastered" versions. Plus you get all the liner notes and stuff.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>
File: eutopia.jpg (299 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
eutopia.jpg
299 KB, 1280x960
>i don't see anyone buying cassettes

You're not looking
>>
>>51907617
/thread
>>
>>51907579
album art and collectibility
in case you were actually serious
>>
>>51907691
OK weeb.
>>
>>51907579
>suddenly
>>
>>51907579
It sounds like shit. Crackly. Dusty. The old turntable I use has to be coaxed to open. Finicky as fuck.

It's just novel. I like going through my dad's old vinyls and fighting the fucking thing to get it to open. I grew up with everything digitized and sometimes it's nice not to stare at a screen attached to the web, your email, and your texts while listening to music. its an experience broh
>>
File: 1449785514464.png (131 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449785514464.png
131 KB, 640x480
>>51907754
do you know where you are ?
>>
>>51907579
Novelty.
>>
>>51907609
Analog is great except for the fact that nearly all records are captured and edited with computers and therefore vinyls that use digital music as they source are combining flaws of both, digital and analog, media into one.

Analog may sound better to some, but not due to its technical superiority but audible inaccuracy in the sound reproduction
>>
comfy novelty.
>>
>have vinyl
>have cassettes
>have a vcr

Skrew u OP
>>
I buy it because I like to support the artist and I like having physical media, something to show for my money.
The art work is cool too.
Vinyl is shit and inferior to digital however.
>>
How old are you OP
>>
>>51907579

Hipsterism.

As in, an attempt to capture some long-lost sense of "authenticity" in this world of ubiquitous computers interfaces and free floating, intangible, digital content.

It's a fetish. They want the ritual, the whole thing. Ideally, flipping through records in a crate. Pulling the vinyl out of the dust cover and flashy, decorated sleeve. Blowing off any dust. Maybe putting it on the turntable and using a cleaning tool. Then spinning it up and gently dropping the well-weighted arm down. That satisfying 'pop' as the needle finds the groove.

What I can't figure out is all the 96kHz rips of vinyl on TPB that are absolutely *full* of pops from shitty, dusty, careless handling. I don't get it.

I think kids these days just want a degraded experience to feel real like their parents/grandparents.
>>
>>51909212
Hipsters only apply to the younger crowds.

It's Nostalgia that applies to the older crowds. Also gramps doesn't like learning new things.
>>
>>51907680
This, why want people to hear that.
>Muh more analog signals
As if anyone could hear it with the crackling-sound inbetween.
>>
Personally I like a LITTLE bit of imperfection. It's why I prefer acoustic tracks to over produced shit.

I'm tired of everything being perfect, it makes it feel less real.
>>
>>51907579

first of all it's collectible. I can leave my LP's and my whole system to my grandchildren.

second of all it's a luxury hobby. it needs your attention to details all the time and you have to have some taste in music to find good albums and add to your collection.

nowadays FLAC > DAC > AMP > SPEAKERS are the easiest and fastest way to collect and listen to quality music but again you can't find everything in FLAC and some LP collections are worth really high because they have very rare pieces in them.

third of all is because it's a hobby and peoples' preference. Just like an artist who prefers Film to Digital or pen and paper to digital.

desu you have to pay a price to be able to hear quality audio at home anyway. so it's not cheap but alternatives are also not cheap when you consider.
>>
>>51907579
they arent. technics has replaced sl 1200/1210s though after discontinuing them. u r a dunce, tho.
>>
>>51907579
alot of u guys r dumb. the mAin factor that makes vinyl sound better is that it is less compressed and more dynamic. less limiting on the signal means more detail and iver all a more engaging sound. cd is mastered so fucking hard. go compare sound waves, its no suprised real hiphop drims are lifted from vinyl, the dynmaics make instruments Snap, and cd mastering is filthy by comparison and destroys dynamic range.
>>
>>51909441
sent from a shitty mobile keyboarrd no less
>>
>>51907658
2edge4memes
>>
>>51907721
album/artist?
>>
>>51909441
Digital has a far better dynamic range, the loudness wars however happened and modern pop is almost always recorded loud so you lose that range. Retarded really but then so are the people who buy that shit.
>>
>>51909275
>It's Nostalgia that applies to the older crowds.

But that's what hipsterism is. Pseudo-nostalgia.

And as far as I'm aware, the recent huge uptick in vinyl sales isn't from old people suddenly going, "oh man, I need to get [arbitrary new alt. rock band] on vinyl!"
>>
>>51907579
I like nujabes and I found out that his discography is on vinyl, so I thought It'd be cool to get it. Next thing I know I'm eyeing a turntable and looking up "reasons why switching to records isn't a joke" on youtube.
>>
>>51909555
tru dis, appreci8
>>
>>51907579
Hipster nation
>>
>>51909337

my point was in the end it's just a source and preference. it isn't a big deal depending on the person.

today most people use and like the shitty youtube audio quality and todays mixing preference doesn't have the broad dynamic range as the vinyl era. today everything is louder thanks(!) to compression.

I prefer to listen the better/broader dynamic range versions every time myself. the truth is it can be done on any source. But producers just prefer unnecessarily compressed versions because most people (who don't understand shit about music) would like to hear louder versions. it's like most hollywood movies with full of unnecessary FX.

it's like when they added unnecessary creatures and effects to the BR version of StarWars.
or designed shitty 3D ORCs on Hobbit movies instead of costumes and make up like in the LoTR movies.

we live in the twilight fans era, the age of ignorance, the age of tasteless people who has some money in their pocket. producers just want the money no matter what.

CD vs Vinyl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsMpHDc7sGE

Compression: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4qk_O7q0Lk
>>
Because they are fun. The same reason people love steam engines, paddle steamers, old cars, and old clunky appliances. They are relics of a bygone Era and while outdated and superceded by newer technology, we still hang onto it and remember it fondly because at one point it was revolutionary and became part of our culture.
>>
File: doood.jpg (108 KB, 636x685) Image search: [Google]
doood.jpg
108 KB, 636x685
>>51907609
> There is no such thing as a curved line on a computer
What is a dac.flac
>>
>>51907579
I still use vinyl discs for my music.

Anyone who says they sound better is literally retarded though. I use them for an irrational hatred of digital shit.
>>
Because of marketing.

People expect to pay less for (and will pirate) digital files, as they are essentially free to produce.
Music discs though are a tangible object that costs at least materials. The markup you can get away with is much larger as a result.
>>
>>51907579

I still buy VCR tapes but that's because I enjoy the kind of shitty aesthetic and it gives me a nostalgic feeling I enjoy.
>>
>>51907579
because the sound quality is better
You also own the product. It exist in your possession. it's not a file you rent on a license.
>>
I bought a cassette of an Kadavar album that i like.
Had an old Walkman in my drawer and was curious about the sound.
It is different to the mp3 and not perfect but i like it and listen to it a lot.
It has to suit the music i guess and can deliver an irrational appreciation.
>>
>>51907579
nostalgia I guess for the older folks
being hip for younger people
>>
Having the cover, a nice record and it sounds better. If you have old ones, there's a nice warm crinkly sound, it's comfy.
>>
>>51907680
>he never heard a mint vinyl that was actually cared for
>>
>>51907814
This
It's like using a film camera to take a picture of a digital image and then saying it looks better
I can only see the vinyl appeal as a collector's thing
>>
It looks cool
>>
>>51907579
Because you should kill yourself.
>>
>>51907579
>bigger artwork
>nicer packaging
>lyrics sheet that is actually readable

If you still buy music in a store, why not get the version that at least looks nice on you shelf?

Because that's literally all they will be good for after you ripped the CD / used the included download coupon.
>>
>>51907579
>suddenly
Hi Rumplestiltskin.
>>
>>51907579
Because there's nothing like having a fuckhuge album art, removing the vinyl from inside, putting it on the turntable and enjoy the record as it was recorded. It's maximum comfy.
Digital Remasters are fucking garbage.
>>
>>51907609
>crack pop
>HISS
>distortion
sure is better than digital
>>
>>51907774
/g/ - Technology
>>
>>51911899
/g/ - Technololigy
>>
File: serveimage.gif (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.gif
10 KB, 480x360
because this
>>51907609
>>
>>51912117
Because that what?
>>
>>51912130
red is analog
black is digital

you can see that analog is much smoother
>>
>>51912141

You do understand what interpolation is, right?
>>
Obviously if there is digital recording/mastering involved with the making of an album, it pretty much negates the "true analog is best" argument. That doesn't mean it's not true for albums that were actually recorded and mastered with pure analog.
>>
>>51912141
Congratulation, You just played yourself
https://youtu.be/cIQ9IXSUzuM?t=6m1s
>>
>>51912141
look up Nyquist-Shannon, retard
>>
>>51912149
it's an approximation. even though theoretically a signal sampled at 44100 hz should be hard to distinguish, vinyl does sound 'smoother'. you can never replicate a continuous signal in discrete steps.

plus putting on a record and listening to the entirety of it is much more relaxing than spotifying and skipping songs all over. and it's kind of cool that the musical frequencies are actually physically etched into a disc
>>
>>51909654
>What is a dac.flac
It's a curved line being approximated by discrete points sampled at regular intervals.
>>
File: f.gif (32 KB, 794x431) Image search: [Google]
f.gif
32 KB, 794x431
>>51912149
it still won't be as smooth as analog
>>
>>51912203
>I drew more lines on a graph was already wrong
I'll be sure to send a copy to your mother so she can hang it on the fridge.
>>
I own a singe record, which I only bought at a thirft store because it was the only time I ever saw a "Lothar and the Hand People" vinyl.

Also, what are you people talking about when you say that "Vinyls use a digital source"? Like, uh, no? I mean, sure, if we're talking about modern vinyl, but nobody who says vinyl sounds better is referring to new shit.
>>
>>51912230
>hurr
just admit that analog is superior you tard
>>
>>51912242
well, if the vinyl was mastered at 384 khz it could theoretically offer better quality than a default 44.1 khz cd right?
>>
>>51912117
>>51912203
CD-quality audio has a much higher sample rate and bit depth than these pictures suggest and I highly doubt that the highest quality vinyl setup would sound higher-fidelity than an equivalent digital setup. Digital audio is also resistant to deterioration and much easier to store and replicate.

The "vinyl is more hi-fi" argument is an ad hoc argument used to legitimize nostalgia.
>>
>>51912203
you do realize that both of those curves are interpolated from discrete samples?
>>
>>51909555
>And as far as I'm aware, the recent huge uptick in vinyl sales isn't from old people

I work at a thrift store. Vinyl suddenly started fucking flying recently, and it's all from old people buying 30 at a time.

Just a few years ago, thrift stores would have, at minimum, 5,000lbs (Because counting them by number was impossible) worth of vinyl that nobody fucking bought. Now we actually ask them for donation.
>>
>>51909441
>spot the audiophile
>>
>>51907666
>>51907680
>>51911882
I want normies to leave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f5lqz4jLdE&t=3m40s
>>
>>51912278
>listen to how good this vinyl record sounds!
>compressed youtube audio
Well now I'm convinced.
>>
>>51912297

>not watching the video

It's comparing two different players. The modern record player is quite clearly superior.
>>
File: 1425699133558.jpg (213 KB, 1100x450) Image search: [Google]
1425699133558.jpg
213 KB, 1100x450
>>51907579
suddenly? the trend's dying down. they can have fun handling aging vinyl and getting cancer from it tho
>>
>>51907617
This
>>
>>51907609
I've heard some remastered albums like Californication sound WAY better on vinyl than CD.
>>
>>51907579
Hipsters.
>>
>>51912351
Thats true, but the "loudness war" is another issue. It's not that CDs aren't superior, it's just that the industry went full retard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
>>
>tfw not an autist
>tfw have a nice collection of records, tapes, cds.
>tfw 39.7% of my digital music library is in flac.
>tfw 385GB of FLAC
>tfw 165GB of mp3
feels good.

I bet you record-haters think Bideo Games in 2015 are better inherently better than Bideo Games of The Past

>implying multiple formats cannot coexist
>>
>>51907721
just vapormemer boiz buy cassettes
>>
>>51907579
It's subjective really, vinyl adds a slight coloration to the sound, what people usually refer to as "warmer sound".
>>
To everyone saying that vinyl has higher sound quality than CDs, that is false and proven by science. The CD format itself encompasses the whole human hearing spectrum. Vinyl doesn't. The noise floor for vinyl is much higher than for CD, thus the dynamic range is severely limited in comparison. Nor can vinyl reproduce the frequencies you can get from CDs. As a format CD is superior in every way to vinyl. E only thing vinyl might have going for it is its characteristics which some might like, and the mixing is different, perhaps not as compressed. Everything else is false. Google it.
>>
I recently gave the guitarist in my band a bunch of old vinyls I had lying around. He's happy thinking old stuff is inherently better so whatever.
>>
>>51907598
mu flac
>>
>>51913007
>muh science
>>
File: 37f.gif (2 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
37f.gif
2 MB, 360x202
>>51913116
back to head-fi, fucko
>>
Go to /mu/ and see why.
>>
>suddenly
LMAO at living in a shit area where buying records have just suddenly started to become "cool"
>>
>>51909441
>the mAin factor that makes vinyl sound better is that it is less compressed and more dynamic.
Wrong. Modern vinyl is just as compressed as modern CDs.
>>
>>51910626
I saw them live last october, they opened for The Sword. They sounded great
>>
>>51910799
>It's like using a film camera to take a picture of a digital image and then saying it looks better

Depending on the camera settings, it might actually look better - depending on the type of camera, settings, shutter speed, focal length, the film size, etc...
>>
>>51912261
>CD-quality audio has a much higher sample rate and bit depth than these pictures suggest

That picture has 16 steps, which corresponds to the 16-bit sample size as used by cd audio.

I think you mean studio equipment, which can use 24bit or even 32bit, and it can possible sound better (and by that I mean you can hear the difference) - mostly in having a higher dynamic range. Of course, you need to listen to something that has high dynamic range to notice that, not crap always-maxed-volume dubstep.
>>
>>51907579
>muh vinyl warmth
>muh pops
>muh crackles
>>
File: audiophiles meme.jpg (163 KB, 1505x999) Image search: [Google]
audiophiles meme.jpg
163 KB, 1505x999
>>
Did you kids know you can get AIDS from tube amps?
>>
>>51912176
Yes, and it can be approximated perfectly if the frequency of it is below the Nyquist limit.
>>
File: reddit.jpg (162 KB, 1024x741) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
162 KB, 1024x741
It's such a shit format. The only advantage it has is large album art.
>>
>>51907609
There's no such thing as a curved line anywhere. You might as well say circles exist.

We all know space is quantized and all matter can be resolved to base, hard, granular units. The universe is also finite, and you're a machine. Get over it.
>>
>>51915529
>space is quantized
bullshit, electron probability orbitals are continuous
>>
>>51915686
Limitation of our capacity for measurement. Probabilistic behavior in QM is the same, or something is influencing them we aren't yet aware of. The universe is deterministic.
>>
>>51915711
Sure anon. I'm sure you have an explanation for Bell's inequality.
>>
>>51915730
Irrelevance.
>>
I think it's worth mentioning that a lot of the young people saying vinyl is the best sound have only otherwise heard music as YouTube audio through iPod earbuds or as a CD through a shitty shelf system.
>>
@ OP

why are you shitposting, millenial?
>>
>>51915711
hahaha what a fag
>>
>>51915831
To be fair Einstein died trying to prove that anon right. Basically Einstein died a failure
>>
>>51910799
some film pictures are actually way more charming than digital ones, despite being granulated, dirty or whatever at first
Perhaps the sound of vinyl appeals to a certain type of effect
>>
>>51915858
Einstein was right. Something can't just be probabilistic, something must afford it the ability to behave that way. If not something we can see, then the underlying machinery driving the universe itself. Same goes for entanglement. It can't just do it, something must provide the ability to do what it does.

We might never gain access to this. It might be forever hidden from our sight beyond barriers we can't subdivide further. And the arguments will continue.

I hope it doesn't play out like that. And I hope something reconciles all this many worlds nonsense soon as well. So much hangs on figuring out what "time", "speed", and "motion" really is.
>>
>>51915924
>Einstein was right.
Except he wasn't. Local hidden variables was proven wrong by Bell's Inequality. Reality is probabilistic; get over it.
>>
>>51915960
What about what I said suggested local hidden variables?

Actuality is probably deterministic. Stop being such a lolsorandom, and get over it.
>>
>>51915366
a picture of a picture will never show the original picture better

different, 'enhanced' maybe, but not quantitavely more data
>>
>>51915924
>>51915960
Seriously, please explain how you can believe in determinism after Bell's inequality. There's a reason no one bothers with local hidden varaible theories, even though maybe %90 of people hate the concept of a probabilistic universe, they learn to accept it.
>>
>>51916004
>What about what I said suggested local hidden variables?
You said "Einstein was right" and he spent his whole life arguing for local hidden variables.

>Actuality is probably deterministic.
There's no evidence to support that literally everything is deterministic. Assuming determinism over randomness violates Occam's Razor.
>>
>>51916035
>There's no evidence to support that literally everything is deterministic.
There is no evidence to conclusively prove that anything is probabilistic by nature.

Occam's razor is a heuristic, not a law to rigidly stick to. When you live in a universe where most things, regardless of scale, appear to be causal, controllable, and display logically predictable behaviors, it suggests there is some underlying feature of the universe not yet seen which is generating what we're seeing on our scale.

Entanglement. Can't predict it, yet, but you still know exactly what is going to, and seemingly needs to, happen. And it does. Double slit experiment? Again, unintuitive but predictable. There are even laws that accurately describe how something is going to be probabilistic. And yet you seriously think it makes sense to argue something is by nature, just random? That's it? It's completely nonsensical. Everything suggests there is more to it.

It seems the difference here is you're satisfied with "it appears this way, therefore, it is this way and that's it." I'm not. I think it's ridiculous and myopic. But really, up to you. Neither of us actually knows, and we'll always disagree about who's assumptions are most valid and who is controlling for error more reasonably.
>>
File: question487.gif (8 KB, 400x244) Image search: [Google]
question487.gif
8 KB, 400x244
Enjoy hearing only a fraction of the music
>>
>>51907579
Because I'm odd and listens to music not for sale anymore and that haven't been released on CD. Finding music for me is like some sort of treasure hunt. The musicians that I like that have supposedly released hundreds of records which means that there are still plenty to be found for my part.
>>
>>51916299
get a what.cd account and stop lying about 'listening to music that wasn't released on cd or online'
vinyl rips of the absolute most obscure shit exists, your local record store isn't a bastion of unheard recordings with a pressing of 100 copies.
get over yourself, listen to records because you like listening to records, not because BULLSHIT
>>
>>51912117
This is a misrepresentation of what happens. I don't know 100% of the maths behind fourier series and transforms, etc but essentially that graph isn't showing what's going on. Instead of steps, think of each sample point as just that - a point. Give a set of points, there is only a single solution for which the fourier series will fit - and that is the output sound.

This guy explains it much better than I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

the TL;DR is that A/D and D/A conversion is essentially perfect.
>>
>>51915686
Continuous but with a non zero uncertainty, which is equivalent to discrete.
>>
>>51916418
I doubt a private tracker will be useful since I can't imagine anyone buying these records that were produced on a small scale (<10k?) 40 years ago that knows what a private tracker is.

I like listening to accordion music if you want me to be specific. And some of the most famous artists often have no more than couple of songs on spotify from a mix-cd and a handful of songs on youtube uploaded from enthusiasts that have personally recorded the vinyl playing using some device.
>>
>>51916603
>>51916418
And I can sometimes find these records on ebay and sometimes on thrift shops.
>>
>>51916210
We get to listen to square waveforms music, neat
>>
>>51916603
Uh huh, get on what.cd
>>
>implying I don't buy vinyl, cassettes, VHS's, laserdiscs, and floppies.

Yeah, Okay.

also the VCR plays the VHS.

what year were you born in?
>>
>>51916934
>implying I will be begging for invites on forums 2005+10
>>
>>51917171
Just be smart you dumb fuck. Invites are fucking easy.
>>
>>51916210
>>51916819
>I don't understand what a DAC does.
>>
>>51916299
It's much more likely that rare, obscure shit unavailable on the internet would have had been released on a demo tape somewhere.
>>
>>51916423
I was about to post the same vid.
>the TL;DR is that A/D and D/A conversion is essentially perfect even with cheap equipment
Fixed
>>
>>51916201
>There is no evidence to conclusively prove that anything is probabilistic by nature.
So you think statistical physics is a bunch of hogwash or something?

>When you live in a universe where most things, regardless of scale, appear to be causal, controllable, and display logically predictable behaviors
If you simply a system enough and control for certain variables, sure.

>And yet you seriously think it makes sense to argue something is by nature, just random?
But there are plenty of processes in nature that are stochastic. Sure nothing is probably purely random with no bias towards a certain outcome, but there are a bunch of systems that are inherently probabilistic even if you ignore QM.

>It seems the difference here is you're satisfied with "it appears this way, therefore, it is this way and that's it."
That's really the only sensible way to think unless you find something concrete or wrong with the theory.
>>
>>51909212
I personally don't give a fuck about authenticity, I feel like if I'm going to pay money for an album that I really enjoy and want to have around for a long time, I'd rather be getting a nice, giant, frameable piece of artwork with some nice inserts instead of a shitty disposable jewel case that will languish on a shelf.

But the ritual part is cool too, I like my old stereo, and fuck it's even faster for me to load it with a record than it is to pop in a CD to my player and wait for it to spin up while mashing play over and over again.
>>
>>51909441

>all these buzzwords
>>
As a record collector, I really enjoy the novelty of it. I still have a large (5TB) collection of FLACs on my workstation that I listen to while I program.

When I'm feeling a certain way, I like to throw on a vinyl and listen to it. Sometimes, when depression is hurting me, I throw on a Nine Inch Nails record or Radiohead and just lay in bed.

If I want all my friends to hear something, I can throw on the vinyl of it instead of having to show my autism by loading up cmus and going through my library and picking the song.

It's just a fun delivery platform that sounds good as well.
>>
>>51912297
THE POST YOU MENTIONED SAID
"I want normies to leave"

DO YOU FUCKING KNOW MR FOURIER
DO YOU ???
HERE : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_analysis
/g/ I AM SO DONE WITH YOU !!
>>
>>51913007
VINYLS ARE JUST GOOD TO LOOK WHILE LISTEN

THATS FUCKIN ALL ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

IF I WANT TO BUY A GOOD HI FI SET UP AND A TURNTABLE TO ENJOY MY RECORDS SPIN THEN WHAT ??
ITS BETTER TO LOOK AT A TURNTABLE THAN A FUCKIN CD READER

IS IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND ???
>>
File: PC140398.jpg (276 KB, 649x887) Image search: [Google]
PC140398.jpg
276 KB, 649x887
>>51907579
>He doesn't archive old formats that will be lost soon
>>
They think it's cool to own vinyls. It's dumb.
>>
because of the placebo
the crispiness sounds so amazing
>>
>>51920496
SORRY IF YOU LOOSE YOUR PARENTS !!
>>
>>51912278
>normie
>graduate CE
>know three different ways that invalidate the "computers can't do curves" thing, one of which involves "psychoacoustics"
>some faggot hipster is calling me a normie
Really?
>>
I own some vintage hifi gear, and so I buy/trade records just to merit keeping it around. I also can't display muh flacs in a cabinet.

Some older vinyl actually stands to accumulate value, which adds another angle to collecting it apart from nostalgia.
>>
>>51907579
i will take the bait. people never stopped buying records you fool. you just never noticed. your compress music files are inferior in warmth of sound.
>>
>>51915434
muh you dont own a record player?
muh if you do you dont take care of your equipment
>>
>>51921967
>modern vinyl records aren't compressed
I love that vinylfags blindly believe this.
>>
>>51911882
dude take care of your shit and it wont crack pop hiss ground your fucking turntable to get ride of that distortion holy fuck do any of u know how to properly use a record player?
>>
>>51922057
where does that post say
"modern vinyl records"?
You are just making assumptions to make an argument.
>>
I only watch 80's anime on VHS because I fell for the vapormeme. It does have a certain nostalgia to it, and it makes me cool.
>>
>>51922094
Old CDs that were properly mastered sound far better than vinyl ever did. Compression has nothing to do with it; it's present on both formats.
>>
>>51922112
thanks, i guess i am wrong. i guess it depends on the individual record tape cd or mp3 quality. but w/e >>>>>>>/mu/
>>
Vinyl has charm, digital is a whore that anyone can visit at anytime
>>
>>51922163
/thread
>>
>>51910626
see them in a few days
>>
>>51922163
>>51922208
Vinyl is the aging grandma that just needs to die already.
>>
>>51922078
Not him but you realize that even with a laser turn table in a vacuum you will still get crackling and popping, right? Many of the crackles and pops are pressed into the vinyl itself.
Don't forger that vinyl is objectively inferior than digital when it comes to frequency and dynamic range.
>>
Because there's something fun about rooting through a bin of used albums, and finding a gem. Why do you hate fun, OP?
>>
>>51915434
I've got a 40 Year old Marshall Tucker album that sounds like it's brand new. If you take care of your shit, properly calibrate the balance of your turntable arm, and don't use shitty DJ needles, records last forever and sound great for a very long time.
>>
>>51922439
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)#Myth:_Proper_vinyl_playback_is_click-free

>Pops and clicks are often not audible during a song on a well-maintained record and should not distract from the listening experience. No evidence exists of a record that is shown to be played back with absolutely no pops or clicks whatsoever. They are introduced at virtually every stage of production, from cutting the lacquer to the pressing to the playback itself. Some pops and ticks are pressed into the record itself.
>Some pops and ticks result from static discharges during playback. However, this may be mitigated by the use of topical treatments on the record.
Because of the lack of evidence for a tick-free record and the engineering factors making such a record extremely rare, it is quite likely that no record exists that is truly free from all pops and ticks, but in all fairness, the vast majority of new, and well maintained records will play with very few ticks or pops.
>>
>>51922439
>vinyl fags go through all these trouble to get an inferior experience
With a CD, literally all you have to do is rip it once and throw it in a closet somewhere and it'll last forever.
>>
>>51922479

This whole thread is about the placebo of vinyl and you post an article about placebo pops and clicks that you can't hear. Of course. A 3 micron grain of dust will make a record "click" will you hear it. No.

I don't personally do the vinyl thing, but a friend has a pretty nice setup and even my untrained ear can hear the difference. On shitty headphones and speakers, it all sounds the same, but he runs his shit through some 3 way studio monitors, and it is instantly apparent which recording is vinyl and which isn't.

>>51922510
This guy probably rips his CD's in 128k MP3s.
>>
>>51922536
Audiophile threads always take poe's law to the extreme.
>>
>>51922536
>This guy probably rips his CD's in 128k MP3s.
>resorting to baseless assumptions to defend the inferiority of your medium
Okay buddy.
>>
>>51922595
I already said I don't own vinyl.
>>
File: impd.jpg (172 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
impd.jpg
172 KB, 1200x900
>>51907579
You don't get this kind of cool with an mp3.

I play several mediums but vinyl was what I began with.
>>
>>51907579
I buy cassettes
>>
>>51912163
x61 tablet with fedora, nice
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.