[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What other arcane unix utilities aren't as difficult as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: sed.png (7 KB, 728x392) Image search: [Google]
sed.png
7 KB, 728x392
What other arcane unix utilities aren't as difficult as they appear to newbies?
>>
>sed
>arcane
>>
Well it looks that way when you've never used it and the only examples you seen are

sed "\/\/\/\/\/\////\/\/\//\\\/\/\//\/\/\a/fadf\awe/f\/\a/efa\wes/f\aw\/\/\/\
>>
>>51907391
tar is famous for being "impossible to use" without googling it, yet it only takes 3 flags to do 99% of tasks with it.

tar -cvzf whatever.tar.gz whatever

c - create
v - verbose
z - pass to gzip (z for gzip, j for bzip2, J for xz)
f - filename

to extract just use x instead of c.
tar -xvzf whatever.tar.gz
>>
File: 1428964005533.jpg (46 KB, 585x496) Image search: [Google]
1428964005533.jpg
46 KB, 585x496
>>51907672
zsh master race desu senpai

~ ยป tar -
-- tar function --
A -- append to an archive
c -- create a new archive
f -- specify archive file or device
t -- list archive contents
u -- update archive
v -- verbose output
x -- extract files from an archive
>>
>>51907469
Why even use / as a separator at that point?
>>
>>51907672
>famous for being "impossible to use" without googling it
First time I've heard this. x/c/t to specify action, x/j/J/Z to specify compression format, f mandatory unless you're piping. Combine in any order. No dash required.
>>
>>51907391

drink deeply anon:
http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix/sedawk/
>>
Is "mosh" arcane? "Screen"? I kept having problems staying connected through ssh to a Unix box because my Wifi was disconnecting every time my computer went to sleep. So, now I use mosh and even when I get disconnected, I can get back to the very same shell I was using before. And if I use screen, it is even better because I can get back into the same screens I had running.

I don't know if that's arcane, but it sure is useful.
>>
>>51909624
Clear, cool water. Add in regexes and you've got everything you need to rule the world.
>>
sed, awk
>>
>>51909713
sed, awk, whisky, and women.
>>
>>51909713
Which is superior, sed or awk?
>>
>>51909928
Right tool for the job.

Awk can do everything sed can but you wouldn't want to.
>>
>>51909624
>http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/unix/sedawk/

http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/index.html

Thanks for the link!
>>
>>51910053
UNIX Power Tools is a great book, too.
>>
Unix Power Tools is a great book.
>>
>>51907672
>xzf = eXtract Ze File
>czf = Compress Ze File
>>
>>51909637
You can increase ServerAliveCountMax and/or ServerAliveInterval in your .ssh/config to give you more time to reconnect before the connection dies (can also be configured server-side in /etc/ssh/sshd_config). I use it with my sshfs mount to prevent the filesystem from hanging when the network goes down temporarily (e.g. when I close the lid on my laptop).
>>
>>51911675
>xfz = exif - whatever, something, compression
>zfc = Zermelo-Fraenkel choice
That's the mnemonics I use.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.