[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to become good at image/video editing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3
File: McDonalds.jpg (81 KB, 703x395) Image search: [Google]
McDonalds.jpg
81 KB, 703x395
I can apply basic effects, but things like this are just magic to me. Is there an easy way to learn how to edit photos and videos on a computer?
>>
>>51906995
What part of that image is magic to you?
Also
>>>/gd/
>>
>>51906995
It's not just photosphop you tard.
It's like 90% practical effects brah.
>>
>>51906995
right looks better because it was physically made much more carefully and probably literally airbrushed (as opposed to doing that in Photoshop)

right's most extensive editing is to make the meat look a nicer brown and to remove any unsightly dark patches (eg, the bottom of the bun on the left), mostly just basic color balance shit that you can figure out somewhat by just screwing around with the sliders

really, just look up tutorials on what you want to do (in this case, look up tutorials on color correction)
>>
>>51907155
After some new laws, what ends up happening is you have interns go through 15 bags of their supplied buns to find the one that has the perfect amount of seeds and coloring.

It's all about the practical effects.
>>
Why the fuck do people care what their food looks like? Does it taste like a quarter pounder? If so then who the fuck cares?
>>
>>51906995
There are a lot of weird laws regarding food advertisement in the United States, so no, there is no actual Photoshop on the burger in that advertisement

It must be the "real product" which means they do some really careful loophole skirting, like they literally airbrush the burger, but they can't use anything not in the burger itself so they make Brown paint with charred beef grease, and they mist the lettuce and pickles with water etc to make it look delicious

That burger likely has been sitting there for 2 hours before they get the right shot, and would taste awful, but it looks delicious
>>
>>51906995
The only thing that annoys me about that image is how they use Photoshop as a synonym for all image manipulation.
>>
>>51907299
I cant think of anything else youd use aside from Adobe programs, unless it's a quick edit then you'd use Paint.net
>>
>>51906995
Go somewhere like facepunch and join in on all the shoop contests that take your fancy, or just make some OC for here. You will only get better with more practice, if something specific causes you trouble, just google for a youtube how to.
>>
>>51907331
Corel PaintShop Pro
+ DxO Optics Pro 8

but it doesn't matter. Even if there were no alternatives, it's still wrong to use a brand name to refer to a generic task, namely digital image manipulation.

It's just as despicable as calling any paper tissue "Kleenex".
>>
>>51907390
Sharpe, coke, Google, taser, Velcro, etc.
>>
>>51907460
Yes it's all a problem.
I try to avoid any of these terms, Google most of all.

>Sharpee
Marker

>coke
Soda
Sugar water
Caffeinated sugar water
Soft drink

>Google
Search the Internet

>taser
I don't know. I never consciously refer to this device.

>Velcro
Hook-and-loop fastener
>>
>>51907291
This.

People that think that burger on the right is shopped haven't seen quite a few shops in their time.

USFDA prohibits any modifications of advertisements of the actual food itself. Yes they cherry picked everything and made it look perfect, but if it tastes like the product who the fuck cares.
>>
>>51907482
Stun gun is the genetic term
>>
>>51907460
>>51907390
>>51907496
>Stun gun is the genetic term
Thanks

Stallman agrees btw:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Photoshop
>>
>>51907504
>>51907496
Whoops!

Just noticed Swype autocorrected me to say "genetic"rather than Generic, and Sharpe rather than Sharpie
>>
File: adobe_wan_kenobi.jpg (62 KB, 340x383) Image search: [Google]
adobe_wan_kenobi.jpg
62 KB, 340x383
>>51906995
The burger on the left was simply made. The one on the right was carefully made by some food artist. You can watch documentaries on it. It's actually really cool how they do it. I imagine the do airbrushing and other stuff to remove any flaws. The rest of the picture is simply layering polygons and putting different texts. It's not magic, just a process like any other thing. I used to make a lot of visual instructions at my last job so I'm used to assembling a lot of graphics.
>>
>>51907496
Kekd
>>
>>51907482
Also I get on my wife about cereals

We normally get the generic equivalents because they taste the same and are cheaper (and often come in superior bags). And she refers to the generics by their equivalent brand names so I make a point of always using the "Apple Dapples"rather than the "Apple jacks" etc
>>
>>51907567
See
>>51907291

There is no editing of that burger other than cutting it in half
>>
>>51907215
food appearance is actually linked to perception of flavor
if it looks like shit, people will think it tastes worse than it would otherwise, even with no actual change to ingredients or anything

>>51907482
most people saying "coke" at least are asking for a CokeĀ®, rather than a different soda
the rest are fine
good luck on not saying Velcro though, there's got to be a better term than "hook and loop fastener"

in fact, I'm amazed "velcro" hasn't lost its trademark designation due to genericization, it's probably the only trademark word I hear regularly that I've never actually heard an alternative for in use
>>
>>51907342
This OP. It just takes practice to get used to.
>>
>>51906995
Work at a communist propaganda office
>>
>>51907482
It's called pop
>>
>>51907586
I should have read through the other comments before replying with lies.
>>
>>51907589
>good luck on not saying Velcro though, there's got to be a better term than "hook and loop fastener"
German has a reasonable word for it: Klettverschluss which could be translated as
Thistle Fastener
named after thistle plants which stick to fabrics
>>
>>51907589
I say diet cola and people look at me like an autist

Also ever since I started shopping at McMaster-Carr. I make a point to always call it hook and loop
>>
>>51906995
>but things like this are just magic to me
Graphic Designer here. I could make that image in 2 minutes in Illustrator.
>>
>>51907623
And you're called a faggot
>>51907634
Hopefully next time you will learn from your mistake
>>
>>51907637
>I say diet cola
>they look at me like an autist

Anon, thats not why they look at you like an autist....
>>
>>51907651
Jokes on you, illustrator even on a good workstation takes 3 minutes to load all that adobe bloat.
>>
>>51907661
Is it my Stetson Saxon? Or the fact that I tricked a gorgeous woman into marrying me somehow?
>>
>>51907674
They are a graphic designer, they never turn off their computers
>>
>>51907687
>turning on computer
>starting illustrator
Two different things. Shit, my computer BTD faster than illustrator loads
>>
>>51907675
Wow is she over your shoulder reading this you spinless twat?
>>
>>51907727
No, I'm in bed and she is behind me asleep
>>
>>51907674
>Jokes on you, illustrator even on a good workstation takes 3 minutes to load all that adobe bloat.
First, you're a massive faggot
Second, you're fucking incorrect
Third, get a better fucking computer
>>
>>51907674
>workstation
We call them Macs, PC fag

jk, but your response is shit. Either your a fucker or you're OP. If you're OP, time to learn Adobe.
>>
>>51907758
Meanwhile my monitor probably cost more than all your computer components. Grow up teenager. You're poor, face it.

>inb4 4titan Z
>inb4 you're the teenager
>inb3.5 no u
>>
>>51907707
Sorry I should have said "and leaves illustrator open" I thought that was implied

Most of the Adobe bloatware is set to autostart when the computer turns on
>>
>>51907788
Why would you use a titan z for illustrator? It's a gaming card
>>
>>51907775
OPs picture isn't altered. Thats an original picture. If you knew FDA regulations on stuff like that, you would understand its just a very meticulously pieced together burger.
>>
>>51907807
You didn't understand why he said that?
>>
>>51907792
I know, it was a simple joke. Illustrator starts in like 4 seconds on my computer and its not THAT great

Fury X
3 ssds
16gb 1866
Dell U3415W ultrawide
>>
>>51907836
Oh I see now, it's almost 1 am here so I'm getting a bit loopy
>>
>>51907880
Fury x is also a gaming card, but I see what you mean
>>
>>51907880
Yes Bill, why did your mom let you have 3 SSDs!
>>
>>51907920
Gee Bill*

Fucking Swype
>>
>>51907902
Fury X is marketing toward gaming, however if you compare its single and dual precision I think you will be very surprised when comparing to any $3000 workstation card.
>>
>>51907788
>employed designer
>teenager

ok bro
>>
>>51907291

Similar thing with fashion magazines. You can pull off magic with the right makeup, artist, lighting and photographer. If you have to jump into photoshop to do more than some touch ups, there's been a failure during the shoot.
>>
>>51907942
Having sold a gig on fiverr doesn't make you employed
>>
>>51907942
Normally when you double green, it the common pick one. You're basically saying that a teenager couldn't be employed in a field you work in... You're further proving you're a moron
>>
>>51907902
>>51907920
>>51907937
>>51907942
>>51907975
>>51907981
>>51908006
Anyway.... This>>51907816

The picture isn't altered at all.
>>
video is just about doing. it can take a while honestly. pretty much same for image editing as well.
>>
>>51907981
>fiverr
Just heard of this. How much more stupid can company names get?
>dominated by so-called 'Millennials'
OK that explains it
>>
>>51908109
It's actually a really good company concept
>>
>>51908028
What I'd like to know is what's the yellow stuff on top of the pickle to the right? There's no mustard in a quarter pounder and the cheese in its current state can't possibly have melted up through it?

It's a spooky fucking burger is all I'm saying.
>>
>>51908362
Where do you live that you don't get mustard on your quarter pounders?
>>
Join ISIS, they have good image editing skills. You can probably learn something there
>>
>>51906995
fuck you op, because of this I have to get burgers today.
>>
>>51908362
1: you're assuming its a quarter pounder with cheese
2: mustard is on a quarter pounder
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.