[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
steam controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
So why aren't you using the latest and greatest(TM) input device yet?

newest update: https://twitter.com/n0i0b/status/677324082166276098
it also stores your configurations now so you can use it at a friend's PC
>>
but I am. It's breddy gud
>>
meh games
>don't care
>>
>>51905894
I like it a lot.

They need to add a way to allow for an xinput wrapper when not playing games through Steam though.
>>
>>51905894
Irrelevant until there's a proper driver for it
>>
>>51906240
define proper driver
I can use it with my computer, isn't that enough?
>>
>>51905894
I have one and like it. Especially useful for playing games like Cities Skylines and Civ 5 from the couch. Though it doesn't work well for a lot of other games because the buttons are so fucking small and in an awkward position for the thumb.
>>
Pre-ordered it and I love it. I especially enjoy how you can map mouse and keyboard controls on it.
>>
>>51906274
Something that doesn't require Steam to be running and my program being started through Steam
I definitely won't support their controller if I have to go through hoops to develop for it
>>
>>51906274
It's buggy as fuck esp. with the steam link.

The binding menu is atrocious also.

Right now I'm having amazing difficulty getting it to work with Kodi through a steam link. As soon as you leave the binding menu it undoes all your bindings and goes back to retarded driver mode which is utterly useless for kodi.

My current workaround is to use the steam controller to launch kodi then use my phone as the remote.

The drivers aren't close to proper.
>>
This may be good for not breaking my back trying to PC gay men and then do work in the same chair.

Only reason I would use it.
>>
Most of my games don't run through steam so I don't have a need for it. I'll just stick to my ps3 controller
>>
Because 360 wired controller is perfect.
>>
I borrowed the steam controller and seemed to not like it that much

I was dissapointed because I really wanted to buy the controller myself, I mostly play fps games, and I just couldn't hit anything with it, updating it seemed to help alot. But still, I couldn't hit anything in payday 2 as I could with a xbox 360 controller or mouse and keyboard. Or, at all.

I like it that the community had made profiles for each game, and the customization it gives you, I just don't like the controller unfortionally.
>>
Fuck you Gaben
>>
>>51905894

That "d-pad" looks like imprecise shit
No thanks, I'll stick with my DS3 for now.
>>
>>51908489
>still using DS3
My daughter just laughed at you.
>>
>>51908610

What should I use instead? A 360 pad with an unworkable d-pad and asymmetric sticks? A DS4 with no battery life/
>>
>>51908346
I bought a steam controller and a steam link. The steam controller is best used for platformers. Its also really nice for civ5/beyond earth pass and play with other people. My gf and I chill and play that in the living room and its quite nice.

If FPS is your main genre and you play at a competitive level I would say that the steam controller is not for you.
>>
>>51905894
bc I live in South America and there are no easy ways to get it.
>>
>>51907252
360 controller is the best desu. i gave my girlfriend one of my wired ones for an mmo she plays and now she won't use anything else
>>
>>51906476
>>51906481
>using proprietary hardware for anything other than intended design
>>
>>51908624
DS4 with bigger battery or buy a long cable.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM
>>
>>51905894
I honestly don't play very many videogames anymore, I got better hobbies
>>
Let me know when one is made out of better plastic
>>
File: keyball-controller-v2-424.jpg (1 MB, 2848x2134) Image search: [Google]
keyball-controller-v2-424.jpg
1 MB, 2848x2134
Every day I look at this thing, think about configuring it and usually just say nah. I played around with it a bit, kinda novel tinkering around in Windows with it. The keyboard software is easily the best on screen keyboard ever but...A wireless trackball and keyboard is just better.

The steam controller really makes me wish they made the thing with a trackball instead of touchpad and a physical keyboard as good as the on screen keyboard is I'd rather not have to bring a keyboard up on screen you know what I'm saying?

So I'll be sticking with my wireless trackball and keyboard for "big picture" use as it can be used anywhere and comfortably, just like a controller only without any limitations whatsoever. If I really need a pad, I'll get an x360 pad but for anything that needs cursor input, trackball is a no brainer. I really can't believe they went with touchpad it's garbage compared to trackball.
>>
>>51905894
But I am! It's actually a fucking great controller once you get used to it and learn what kinds of settings work for you. The gyro is godly if you max its smoothing and keep its sensitivity low compared to the pad. It seriously rivals my KB&M play for FPS games.

I had to rollback from the Beta though, since the current beta fucked my profiles for non-steam games, and non-steam games don't use separate profiles for some unknown reason. The stable release of Steam works fine though.
>>
>>51908489
The d-pad actually isn't that bad if you the haptic feedback to high and turn off require-click. Not as good as a normal DS3 or DS4, but everything else about the Steam controller really is a godsend.
>>
File: couch.jpg (80 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
couch.jpg
80 KB, 600x400
>>51909769
I bet you look like a retard playing with your wireless mouse and keyboard.
>>
File: 1938247123890.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1938247123890.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>>51909884
I'm actually lying down on my bed right now. Since I don't actually need anything at all to fully use a wireless trackball and wireless keyboard this means no gimmicky lap desks or any other retarded shit. I just put my keyboard in my lap and my trackball anywhere I fucking want. It's great, literally living the dream. I could be on a bed or a recliner or a couch or the floor a table or desk anywhere makes no difference it's fucking awesome.
>>
File: xbonepad.jpg (96 KB, 1500x1167) Image search: [Google]
xbonepad.jpg
96 KB, 1500x1167
because i picked up this instead. breddy gud too.
>>
>>51905894
Does it automatically emulate an Xbox 360 controller for older games that can be played with one?
>>
i don't really like it. it's loud (clicking the pads + haptic feedback), the sound of the two pads (again, haptic feedback) is different for double the annoyance, the buttons are too far to the left, the right track pad doesn't register anything at the very bottom (maybe i got a broken device?) and that's just the controller itself. only good thing about it was the gyro. now where are the games? there aren't any other than civilization and other turn based games. everything else is better played with keyboard and mouse or the 360 controller.
what this controller needs are exclusive games that make use of all its features as well as proper windows drivers for non-steam games.
>>
>>51910735
i don't think so, i tried it with rocket league (the game that came with the damn controller) and still ad to rebind stuff (gas and break weren't even bound, just boost and jump). my 360 pad worked out of the box and was setup perfectly.
>>
Because it's shit.
>>
File: 14.jpg (491 KB, 1000x1269) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
491 KB, 1000x1269
>>51908709
civ and chill?

there would actually be no sex because that is fucking the comfiest thing I can possibly imagine

pic related, still not as comfy
>>
>>51909554
Crazy.
I live 15 minutes away from this place, and my friend's dad works right next door to it. It's such a small world.
>>
>>51913526
first off, holy shit i love that they put the aperture symbol on their robots!

second off, yeah I live in rockford, only like an hour away. holy shit that's cool. AND I work for a robotics company... I wonder if I could get a job there.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.