[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TFW CUCKING ELON
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 14
File: battlestation-feat_geohot.jpg (663 KB, 2200x1467) Image search: [Google]
battlestation-feat_geohot.jpg
663 KB, 2200x1467
>26yrs old
>Created self-driving deep-learning car with consumer grade parts
>bent on destroying an Israeli company
>lol'd at Elon Musk's plea to join Tesla

What did you do today /g/?
>>
>>51902382
sage
>>
Don't take my word for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrgRYa2wbI

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-george-hotz-self-driving-car/
>>
>>51902390
/thread
>>
>what did you do today /g/?

I started a thread on the whereabouts of cum bottle guy on /b/
>>
>ubuntu

btw, what are those things behind him?
>>
>>51902459

probably water heaters / HVAC units.
>>
>hotz

Wasn't he the dude who sony went after for cracking the ps3?
>>
>geohot

hacked iOS3
hacked PS3
>>
>>51902466
yeah and he was the first to unlock the att iphones
a fucking legend honestly, everyone should watch the video, the car works better than every other automated driving car ive seen, and he estimates the kits to rig your own car will only be 1000$?
>>
>>51902382
is he a kike?
>>
>>51902440
God's work, man.
>>
>>51902466

No this is obviously AJ Soprano.
>>
Holy shit, dude. This guy is a genius
>>
and? geohotz made a neural net that learned from 10 hours of human driving. guy's still a douche and always will be.
>>
File: Justin-Timberlake-LP1.jpg (39 KB, 440x592) Image search: [Google]
Justin-Timberlake-LP1.jpg
39 KB, 440x592
>>51902564
>>
This is cool and he is some sort of savant, but why do we need self-driving cars again?
>>
>bitcoin mug

FUCK OFF THIS GUY IS A RETARD
>>
>all these newfags who don't know who geohot is
nomies get out, etc, etc
>>
I capped my willy.
>>
>>51902511
comma.ai is simply better because it's a hacker's perspective on how to fix the problem instead of a retarded corporatist's version.

I guarantee that if you gave hotz sensor data from 10,000 of the world's safest drivers he'd have a car that's better at self-driving than Tesla's autopilot.
>>
But is it free as in freedom?
>>
>>51902600

So we can have a wank on our way to work, ofc.
>>
>>51902382
>6. The quality of posts is extremely important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.
>>
>>51902734
Nigga uses Ubuntu. If the project isn't OSS, I'll eat..I dunno, a taco or something.
>>
>>51902382
>>bent on destroying an Israeli company

Good fucking luck with that.
>>
>>51902382
i just woke up
>>
>>51902600
no more DUI
>>
>>51902590

The video pretty much proves it
>>
>>51902459
Central heating

>>51902382
>Ubuntu
>>
The Article states that he has spent $50k on this project, $30k for the car....I wish they stated the hardware needs.
>>
Muslim loving white hating cuck fag.
>>
>>51902382
I'm 22 and made a self-driving car using DL. Where is MY news article? Where is MY attention?
But hey, keep drinking the kool aid, dude.
>>
I watched 3 Archer episodes and made Vichy soisse. Then I decided the day was lost and will start to study tomorrow
>>
>he's using an ILX
A lot of the work is being done for him. Smart idea though.
>>
>>51903489

github sauce?

image of prototype?
>>
Wait a sec....I just watched the video.
This is a scam. I have an ILX. My car can do everything they showed stock (driving on the highway and keeping within a lane with no hands on the wheel). The buttons he had the guy push were the buttons for adaptive cruise control and lane keeping assist. Show me the car making a turn in an intersection and we'll talk.

This "journalist" is a fucking idiot that's getting played.
>>
>>51903611

You have an ILX and can do everything that was displayed in that video??

CoolClockAhmed.jpg
>>
>>51903564
My work is proprietary, can't show any of it (yet).
But if you ask because you're actually interested, check out https://github.com/dps/nnrccar . It's a good starting point.
>>
>>51903644
Yes. It can.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdJryr0ZWKg

Video is from an RLX but they've put the tech in an ILX
>>
>>51903611
he stole the quality of the ILX's self-driving algorithm, he's physically reverse engineering it to build his own neural net and improve on it

he's a hacker, what do you expect him to do?
>>
>>51903696
You can't "reverse-engineer" an ANN. You CAN read google's paper and transcribe the neatly laid-out instructions into an ANN.
>>
>>51903696
He didn't show anything that the ILX can already do. Like I said, show me the car making turns. Show it backing into a spot. Show it changing lanes on its own. All of that would be new. But none of that was shown in that video.
>>
>>51903717
can't already do*

also, additional proof for
>>51903644
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxFAxU-tj4Q
He was hooked into the CAM
>>
>>51902382
>tfw you and your chair are permanently melded together
>>
>>51903730
He was hooked into the CVS from which he could easily disable the "make sure you're still paying attention" warning*
>>
>>51902382
>nvidia

AMD BTFO
>>
>>51903803
AMD has no cudnn equivalent. Checkmate, AMD.
>>
File: 5mQkQmpTmRbc2Nc2CpB7-Q==.gif (169 KB, 272x200) Image search: [Google]
5mQkQmpTmRbc2Nc2CpB7-Q==.gif
169 KB, 272x200
>>51902402
>“Dude,” he says, “the first time it worked was this morning.”
>>
Why is it legal to go onto a busy road with your hacked self driving car? Is it?

Really dangerous for both the passenger and others on the road.
>>
>>51904710
Who cares, as long as it's fun.
>>
>>51904710
it isn't
>>
>>51902600
So we can go past places that want to advertise to us more frequently.
>"Wahh, daddy I'm hungry."
>car detours to McDonald's™ unless you say "McDonald's, I'm lovin it™"
>>
>>51902600
Why the fuck wouldn't you want self driving cars?
>>
>>51902600
so idiots that think of cars as only a means to go someplace can fuck off
>>
>>51902600
Since your brain can't come to conclusions... This k about it this way. If cars can drive themselves we might not even need to "own" cars. Imagine a fleet of vehicles you can just call to pick you up, take you to work and then fuck off somewhere else? How about never having to find parking? Less traffic accidents?

10/10 you made me reply to your dumb ass. Leave this board senpai .
>>
>>51904710
It's legal to build your own car and drive it.
>>
>>51904995
Truckers need to leave this board
>>
>>51905034
not a trucker
I just want to drive and not have ignorant fuckheads doing things wrong while driving
>>
>>51903427
Expensive sensors, but this is just to teach the AI. Once it's taught you can just transplant it to a barebones system with cameras
>>
>>51905057
>Self titled responsible gun owner shoots gun off accidentally

What's the difference between you and him?
>>
>>51905086
>Self titled responsible gun owner shoots gun off accidentally
what are you on about?
>>
>>51905057
A self driving car is a better driver than you.
>>
BUT DID HE BUILD A CLOCK?

I DON'T THINK SO
>>
>>51902382
>>lol'd at Elon Musk's plea to join Tesla
literally cucking yourself
>>
>>51905096
You're one of "the better drivers" until you crash. Same as responsible gun owners who are responsible until they do something stupid. Every other bum on the road thinks the same shit.
>>
File: yvpd8j7.jpg (54 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
yvpd8j7.jpg
54 KB, 600x480
UBUNTU WINS AGAIN

ARCH USERS BTFO AGAIN

UBUNTU WILL ALWAYS WIN!!!
>>
>>51905110
>Wanting to work 20 hours a day until burnout and you leave or you get fired

No m8
>>
>>51902630

Well no, the point is to make a car that's fullproof. That car doesn't have the sensors to understand when It's hydroplaning, it doesn't know how to drive in extreme conditions, if a camera breaks from a hail ball, does that mean you fly off the road.

Driving on a highway is nothing, I've once fell asleep at the wheel for 2 minutes and woke up on the highway. Driving in the extreme conditions that a large population of America experiences quite frequently is a different story.
>>
>>51905057
well guess what? With autonomous cars, you have autistic robots that only do things right.

Imagine if everyone always drove the speed limit.
>>
>>51904935
>>
File: ajr.jpg (43 KB, 243x330) Image search: [Google]
ajr.jpg
43 KB, 243x330
>>51902382
>>
>>51905060
The sensors are not needed for learning since you obviously don't want to crash billions' worth of cars. Firstly, a dataset of car trajectory is used for training. Secondly, one could (but nobody has) perform simulations instead (as is done in most tasks too costly or dangerous to run "live") as the learning environment. Eitherway, most of the expenses would come from the hardware necessary to train the model in reasonable time (10x titan Z $$$$$)
>>
>>51905190
That'd drive me nuts.

But fuck going 10 or 15 under. I'll take it.
>>
They forgot to mention the part where he used Tesla's open sourced patents. It IS Tesla's hardware system, just with consumer parts; and there's probably a reason nobody else uses consumer parts.

Also his system of learning from human driving is pretty sketchy. Human error is the primary reason to be looking toward automated transportation. It should be based on rule sets; not learned behavior.

Obviously this dude is way smarter than me; but I think philosophically this idea is silly; and I don't think he's the "next billion dollar ceo" as he suggested in the Bloomberg video.
>>
>>51905872
>It should be based on rule sets; not learned behavior.
Thanks m8, I hadn't read something so desperately retarded in years. Made me laugh out loud in real life.
>>
>>51905118
This.

When I'm driving, I'm the only person who knows what the fuck they're doing. With the exception of commercial vehicles, even then they can be dickheads.

Everyone thinks the same thing I do. That they(we/I) am the only competent operator of a vehicle on the road at the time.
>>
File: 1447548035740.jpg (66 KB, 477x324) Image search: [Google]
1447548035740.jpg
66 KB, 477x324
>>51905118
>humans make mistakes
>get rid of humans with robots that are better humas
>>
Ubuntu wins again
>>
Learned about Marine Corps radio systems maintenance.
>>
>>51902600
one more step towards total slavery
>>
>>51902459
Homemade nuclear reactor
>>
>>51905302
>Titan Z durrrrrr gibe sheckles
>>
>>51905110

>Working 20hrs a day so Elon Musk can tweet and steal all the shine.

Fuck that
>>
>>51905032
Doesn't mean that you'll get off easily, one of my friends did so and was constantly harassed by the police. White guy too, not a nigger :|
>>
>>51907341
Fuck off, cook.
>>
>>51902382
Who is this superNEET I've never seen before?
>>
>>51902382
The motherfucker is using ubuntu, look at his smug half grin.

I don't blame him tho, *buntu's just werks straight out of the box.
>>
>>51904995
What are cars for if not only for moving somewhere else you moron, art? Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>51902486
>>51902511
>>51902590
Fuck geohot, he is a massive prick and is the reason why the jail breaking community is so fragmented now.
>>
I got into medical school.
>>
>>51902382
Why doesn't geohot like Elon Musk?
I like Elon Musk
>>
>>51909090
* also check my 909090
>>
>>51909090
because he is a massive faggot
>>
>>51902382

While I don't doubt he did the internships at Google, Facebook, and Space-X, I don't for a second believe the version he gives.

The article says something like, "he was disappointed to find brilliant engineers doing things like fixing bugs in a web browser". This guy is the quintessential brilliant do-nothing.

His self-driving car will never work because he'll just get bored and walk away when the problems get hard. He's Google in a nutshell: creates a brilliant diff tool to send minimal updates out for browsers around the world, never bothers to take a product out of Beta.

Also, I'm terrified of the idea of some jerkoff yahoo cobbling together some consumer-grade shit in his car and testing it out on the open road. I hope he bought that million dollar bond that was required by CA law.
>>
Kek these automated cars won't work properly (yet) in every single road situation encountered. It's going to take a lot more effort to develop than throwing some pre packaged stuff together. It needs to be done properly so some random who absuses the technology doesn't get it all abandoned and ruins it for the rest of us.
>>
File: 1443547152913.jpg (20 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1443547152913.jpg
20 KB, 258x245
>>51909044
>muh community
>>
>>51909146
Don't worry he probably stole the majority of the research from some other research team just like he did with the original jailbreak.
>>
>>51909146
This.

All the "lowly grunt work" still needs to be done. In this case patching bugs will be the difference between life and death in the road.
>>
>>51909156
Automated cars will only work in Singapore and Japan.

Screencap this.
>>
File: this.png (722 B, 39x36) Image search: [Google]
this.png
722 B, 39x36
>>51909214

K.
>>
>>51902382
what a fucking leet hacker he even uses the happy hacking keyboard
>>
>>51903730
it's "can already do".

if you use double negation, you are probably a degenerate who didnt do nuffin
>>
>>51909313
wew lad almost got me there
>>
File: blackadder-confused.gif (561 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
blackadder-confused.gif
561 KB, 320x200
So was this guy like born able to do this shit, or did he just learn it, or what? I don't get how people get to this sort of level.
>>
>>51909389
autism
>>
>>51909389
>be interested in topic
>get obsessed with topic
>learn everything there is to learn about topic
>do some shit with topic
>discover ways to combine different topics
>do some more shit with topic
>repeat

It's all about being curious enough.
>>
>>51905021
>get into car
>fap
>now the poor bastard after me has to drive with dick glue all over the place
>>
god damn
i barely trust scripts i make for the most basic taks to run correctly
can you imagine sitting in a car youve written the software for and trained yourself and just wincing every time it needs to stop quickly or merge
>>
>>51902382
Ugh, the geohot elon dickholding is fucking intense.

Dudes got a velodyne 16 on that car. Already $10k

If he actually does have a better way of formulating the perception and control problems for machine learning, then this is big. Otherwise, I don't give a shit if he made another lane detector.
>>
I was wondering how he made his money.
Turns out he found vulnerabilities in web browsers.
>>
>“I did two semesters and got a 4.0 in their hardest classes,” he says. “I met master’s students who were miserable and grinding away so that they might one day earn a bit more at Google. I was shocked at what I saw and what colleges have become. The smartest people I knew were in high school, and I was so let down by the people in college.”
>>
>>51902382
wow he cute senpai
>>
Leave it to GeoHotz to show where he lives with a garage full of expensive tech.
>>
>>51909808
>>51909808
HO HO HO!
>>
>>51906604
Also known as "technology", dickwad.
>>
>>51908431
If there is one use for titan Z it's literally machine learning. The main bottlenecks for ML are the amount of memory per card and the amount of f32 computations per second. Since there's no cudnn equivalent for AMD and cudnn is 2-3 orders of magnitude faster than anything else, nobody serious is going to use non-nvidia card for serious ML.
>>
>>51909597
>I checked out an arts college and it was easy!
>I took less than half a standard workload and it was easy!
Genius!
>>
>>51902382
That wallpaper on big screen is ill nasty
>>
>>51905872
All he's good at is stealing other people's work and pretending he invented "the clock". He's not clockmed-tier incompetent but he's not even 10% as competent as he pretends to be. Yet, the media gobbles it up. Hence, I have no doubt that he'll indeed be the next billion dollar CEO, after all, he displays exactly the right aptitudes.
>>
>>51902382
is that a nuc in the car?
>>
>>51905190
imagine self driving cars, and how they'd up the speed limits intensely.
>>
>>51912523
They wouldn't because the cameras wouldn't be able to get a good image fast enough if the speed increases too much.
>>
>>51912448
yes
>>
>>51912523

yeah so a sudden flat tire = death of 30 people.
>>
>>51902440
Wish I was in that thread instead of this one desu
>>
geohot? Wasn't he the guy that used to discover like every single hardware vulnerability for iOS devices up until the A5? What's he doing making self-driving cars?
>>
>>51912653
he ran out of idiots to crack iphones for him and then take the credit
>>
>>51909409
stop being retarded.
>>
>>51909389
What he did can be done with around 2 hours of googling around assuming you have a CS or SE BSc, or equivalent programming experience and linalg knowledge, even from scratch.
Half the time would be spent looking for a suitable training dataset. You would have a half dozen papers to sift through by the end of the first 10 minutes of googling, and the rest of the time would be spent learning a language and toolkit (python + tensorflow or lua + torch or c++ + caffe).
>>
>>51909479
>If he actually does have a better way of formulating the perception and control problems for machine learning, then this is big. Otherwise, I don't give a shit if he made another lane detector.

He definitely doesn't, hilariously this reminds me of this: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/03/26/12-year-old-genius-expands-einsteins-theory-of-relativity/

>Einstein was 26 when he first published his Theory of Relativity. We figure that Jake has a couple of years to kick back and relax before he finally debunks the big bang theory.

>“I’m still working on that,” he said. “I have an idea, but… I’m still working out the details.”

Awful clickbait shit.
>>
>>51912653
He backstabbed some of the people working on unlocking the iPhone when it first came out.

I was there. irc.hackint0sh.org on the real dev channel where we were working on dissecting the first firmware dump. "geohot" (I think there may have been a 0 in there instead of an 'o', but whatever) was working with the group until he had enough to go off on his own (remember: people had to create their own toolchain for lots of the work since OS X on ARM was new to the outside world at the time), at which point he rushed off to get one phone up and running and to start whoring himself out to the press as the "teenage wonderkid who defeated Apple's security". Really left a bad taste in the mouths of the people who were working together on a solution, and honestly was probably one of the big reasons why the early iPhone hacking scene became as fragmented and secretive as it was.
>>
>>51912998
>before he finally debunks the big bang theory
haha lolwut nigger.

that's about as soundly confirmed atp as any single characteristic of creation.
>>
>>51913038
Oh, and then later he completely rolled over to Sony on the PS3 jailbreak. He was full of all kinds of boasting and bragging, and was soliciting donations to help him fight big bad Sony. (He's since scrubbed those pages, but thankfully the internet never forgets). Choice quotes:

>Sony sued the wrong guy

and

>My attempts at humor aside, I do take this whole matter very seriously. Again, it’s not about me, I was on the verge of quitting this stuff last June, and I would hate to be the one who sets a reputation for hackers that all a company has to do is sue us and we back down.

and

>I didn’t want to be trigger happy, and thought the suit might go away quickly. Also, I had to consult with my lawyers about how to do this. It’s been over a month, and it looks like this is going to be a drawn out case.

and best of all

>What if SCEA tries to settle? Lets just say, I want the settlement terms to include OtherOS on all PS3s and an apology on the PlayStation blog for ever removing it. It’d be good PR for Sony too, lord knows they could use it. I’m also willing to accept a trade, a legit path to homebrew for knowledge of how to stop new firmwares from being decrypted.

And then, about a month after all the boasting, he settled. In it for the long haul indeed.

So yeah, he's a reasonably talented hardware hacker, but he's a completely arrogant little twat.
>>
>>51913038
Sorry to hear that anon :/
>>
I can't wait for self driving cars, finally I'll be able to ride my motorcycle without old farts trying to run me over every intersection.
>>
>>51902402
>“Dude,” he says, “the first time it worked was this morning.”

Kek
>>
>>51913094
>ride your motorcycle

Nah mate, that shit will be illegal once self driving cars are here
>>
>>51913196
Yeah motorcycles aren't not good for your safety, the govt won't be able to snoop in on the driving AI to check for terrorist or pedo stuff on the car and reprogram it to kill you while you commute to work.
>>
>>51913316
>and reprogram it to kill you while you commute to work.
hehe isn't this a movie anon?
>>
>>51913316
They could also just kill all MC riders since they're a danger to others in traffic. I think most people would prefer that solution.
>>
>>51913335
>hehe isn't this a movie anon?
I suppose, nothing is original these days.
>>
I rode my bike for a couple hours.
>>
>>51913381
>>>/o/
>>
>>51913381
Would be great. Tired of being awoken at 3 in the morning by a over 5000db motorcycle engine roar.
>>
File: geohotz.png (1 MB, 1128x701) Image search: [Google]
geohotz.png
1 MB, 1128x701
>>51902382
confirmed for faggot
>>
File: Jailbreakers[1].jpg (2 MB, 2446x1834) Image search: [Google]
Jailbreakers[1].jpg
2 MB, 2446x1834
I wonder how this room smelled at the time desu.
>>
>living in a boiler room
Is he suicidal?
>>
>>51913536
Sweat, cum and anal juice :^)
>>
>>51913381
fuck off shithead.
>>
>>51913050
I remember that the "fail 0verflow" team gave a talk on how they broke the PS3 security at the Chaos Communication Congress. This was a month or two earlier than geohot, I don't know the details of geohot's method but he wasn't the first one
>>
File: i feel sorry for her.png (207 KB, 154x758) Image search: [Google]
i feel sorry for her.png
207 KB, 154x758
>>51913536
>>51913574
>>
>>51913599
>her
>>
>>51913606
you're kidding me
>>
>>51913632
>her
>>
met this guy irl at defcon, one of the most socially awkward people I've ever seen.

obvious case of assburgers
>>
File: George_Hotz[1].jpg (51 KB, 543x604) Image search: [Google]
George_Hotz[1].jpg
51 KB, 543x604
>>51913651
whur u callen a burger m8 ill burger ur mum
>>
>>51913536
It smelled of spaghetti and fedoras.
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.