[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you virtualizing? >OpenSUSE Server install >CentOS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: untitled.png (5 KB, 219x94) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
5 KB, 219x94
What are you virtualizing?

>OpenSUSE Server install
>CentOS
>Server 2012 R2 evaluation
>>
Windows 7 with qemu+kvm
>>
>>51898902
>2015
>virtualizing
nice resource waste
>>
>>51899899
>Not virtualizing

Nice hardware waste.
>>
If I'm only learning programming is there much use in a VM/lab? Learning python and running windows 10. Already really debating it because of the lack of curses in windows
>>
>>51899068
this desu
dont forget PCI express passthru
>>
>>51900866
How the FUCK do you get this shit to work?
On my machine, windows only starts using the graphics card if and when I connect with vnc. Been messing with this shit for months and it just wont work

qemu+xen
>>
>>51901023
xen is your problem
>>
>>51900692
>2015
>not using jails
>>
>>51898902
I used to virualise win8.1 with vt-d passthru for games, until I realised that I don't really play games anymore.
>>
why would I virtualize, whats the point
>>
My relationships with humans..
>>
>>51898902
Hyper-V is garbage unless you're doing a small business. VMWare is where it's at.
>>
>>51904363
Utter nonsense. Hyper-V Server is free, scalable as fuck and with every update gets new fucking amazing features. I run 700+ VM's on a Hyper-V envirnment without any shit.

> not being a certified devops hyperv
>>
File: tumblr_nxojy1Nuyh1t7xypxo1_1280.jpg (305 KB, 1095x945) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxojy1Nuyh1t7xypxo1_1280.jpg
305 KB, 1095x945
>>51904363
I was actually JUST about to go and move over my HyperV installs for VMWare. HyperV seems to be fucking up my PC performance with its Type-1 Hypervisor black-magic.
>>
>>51904414
>700 VMs without vMotion
Probably running it on a single host like a pleb. Enjoy being fired for your shitty implementation
>>
>>51903965
>why would I virtualize, whats the point
desktops

- security; kids/stupid parents/etc fuck the OS up, revert to last snapshot

- portability; have win 8.1 in VirtualBox VM with 5 licensed pieces of software; get new computer; teleport VM to new computer, works flawlessly without going through uninstall/deactivate/re-install/reactivate BS

- Reuse; have copied hard disk from failed devices to virtual disk and run in VirtualBox; saving an XP, three 7, one 8 license

- Have parents that just won't give up that one program that only runs in DOS? Ever after threatening to move them to a rest home? --- VM --- done

Servers
- Maximizing hardware; have a 4 core i5 running ESXi free hypervisor with (Windows 7 Desktop + Server 2012 + Six Ubuntu (Plex, Plex, Kodi, apt-cache/software/local yum repo, storage server, Handbrake encoding slave)) - quiet and energy efficient - can connect to 7 VM from any tablet or underpower laptop and get benefit on Windows with 4 cores of horsepower. Do DVD/BR rips in 7 desktop to storage then use Powershell to centralize encoding workload and distribute to every computer in my house (fucking awesome, publishing my work to GitHub soon)

At Work
- redundant, clustered computers and storage
- servers - no brainer - all hardware utilized
- desktops - create a template, spin up new computer in about 5 minutes, deliver, my god its freaking beautiful - redundant hardware and storage - if a hard drive or piece of hardware goes bad - who cares - just hums along as if nothing is wrong - failed over 360 desktops for satellite location to main location and nobody noticed

re: resource waste
laughing. yes a virtual machine will NEVER = physical machine for performance, it can't. However, at home it is saved me untold hours of time and money (I used free crap from VMWare and Oracle) and at work the management and time and hardware cost savings have paid for the ridiculously expensive vSphere licensing almost two-fold over 5 years.
>>
>>51898902

gentoo and windows 98 on a debian virtualbox host
>>
>>51904497
No you fucking idiot, running it on 2 high end powervaults with 21 virtualizers, in a failover cluster. Stop acting like you know shit.
>>
>>51904574
Do you have it behind 6 proxies?
>>
Windows 95 and xubuntu
>>
>>51904592
FUCK YOU YOU CUNT
I literally have highend sonicwalls more expensive than youre fucking house
>>
>>51904607
>expensive hardware
>using Hyper-Shit because it's free even though it's inferior and has less features by a long shot
>>
>>51904625
both of your points are just plain false
>>
>>51904414
>Utter nonsense. Hyper-V Server is free, scalable as fuck and with every update gets new fucking amazing features. I run 700+ VM's on a Hyper-V envirnment without any shit.

VMWare is much better than Hyper-V but every update to Hyper-V gets them a little closer to the standards set by VMWare.

And Hyper-V is NOT free. There is a FREE version of Hyper-V (just as there is for ESXi, kvm, and VirtualBox on desktop). But it is definitely NOT free.

I know everybody throws TCO back and laughs but when we compared vSphere to Hyper-V on all fronts (hardware, software, management and workload management) vSphere even though it lost significant ground against Microsoft still has the lead in stability and overall cost.

Likely won't be that way in a year or two.
>>
>>51904641
> VMWare is much better than Hyper-V but every update to Hyper-V gets them a little closer to the standards set by VMWare.
True, but the implementation is superior in my opinion.

> And Hyper-V is NOT free. There is a FREE version of Hyper-V (just as there is for ESXi, kvm, and VirtualBox on desktop). But it is definitely NOT free.
Wrong. The Hyper-V hypervisor and all its features are completely free.

>
I know everybody throws TCO back and laughs but when we compared vSphere to Hyper-V on all fronts (hardware, software, management and workload management) vSphere even though it lost significant ground against Microsoft still has the lead in stability and overall cost.
>Likely won't be that way in a year or two.
Indeed. Microsoft is on the right way and is winning just as fast as VMWare and Qemu are losing.
>>
>>51904677
>Microsoft is on the right way and is winning just as fast as VMWare and Qemu are losing

They aren't losing. VMware is still and always will be a high quality product but there isn't much room for them to improve or add new features because they already do everything quite well.

However, eventually Microsoft will be able to compete on features and will usually have the cheaper initial cost.

The only things Microsoft will always do better than everyone else is provide a commodity across the board solution that just (most of the time) works.

Hyper-V will never be technically be better than VMWare but Hyper-V with Server with active directory with 7/8/10 desktop with SQL Server with SharePoint with Office is hard to top. Just as SQL Server will never be better than Oracle Database but it's a moot point because it's not feasible to run Oracle on the desktop, server, database and hypervisor.
>>
File: anime question girl.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
anime question girl.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
When I have installed a bare-metal hypervisor it runs directly on the hardware independent of the OS, right? Does that mean that the OS I'm booting into is also running within the hypervisor?
>>
>>51905017
In case of Hyper-V, yes. Not sure about others.
>>
>>51905017
>When I have installed a bare-metal hypervisor it runs directly on the hardware independent of the OS, right? Does that mean that the OS I'm booting into is also running within the hypervisor?
>>51905101
>In case of Hyper-V, yes. Not sure about others.

Same with the VMWare ESXi hypervisor. Note Hyper-V also comes as a feature in Windows desktops and servers in addition to bare metal.
>>
>>51898902
I'm virtualizing pooing in at toilet.
>>
>>51905138
When you enable the feature/role it becomes a base metal hypervisor tho. It actually does. Booyah.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.