[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>about to take Calculus final tomorrow >requirement for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13
File: pepe_awakens.jpg (119 KB, 695x642) Image search: [Google]
pepe_awakens.jpg
119 KB, 695x642
>about to take Calculus final tomorrow
>requirement for computer programming degree

What the fuck does vector Calculus have to do with programming? Am I ever going to use this shit?
>>
>>51898222
>What the fuck does Math have to do with programming? Am I ever going to use this shit?

ftfy
>>
>>51898222

Don't worry, the day after the test you'll forget everything and the valuable brain-space will be available again for more useful informations.
>>
Yes you idiot, it is incredibly necessary for real world physics and any form of accurate simulation or modeling
>>
>>51898222
http://andrea.corbellini.name/2015/05/17/elliptic-curve-cryptography-a-gentle-introduction/
>>
The only math you need to be taught is addition. Everything else can be derived from that.
>>
>>51898222
it helps with games like angry birds uses vectors to calculate the direction and the speed the bird is "flying." You will also use limits or discrete math to calculate the run-time of a program.
>>
>>51898286
>The only math you need to be taught is set theory. Everything else can be derived from that.

FTFY
>>
>>51898222
Anything 3d will require knowledge of atleast linear algebra. Even 2d if you use your own frameworks.

Simulations require varying degrees of math knowledge unless you're partnered with someone who does the math part for you.

Functional languages are based out of theoretical math.

Your future employer one day may ask you to do something that requires deeper math knowledge than trig.
>>
>>51898430
This. If you can't handle calculus don't go into cs
>>
>>51898222
>What the fuck does vector Calculus have to do with programming?
This is your graphics card...
>>
>>51898222
Its important for backward propagation in neural networks and for training them.
>>
Drop out fag
>>
>>51898222
Thought the same for a long time, till I started into game development. You need a shitload of vector knowledge if you want to move anything really onscreen. ITT OP, stop bragging, start fucking.
>>
>>51898222
See this is why CS majors shouldn't be called engineers.
>>
>mfw finished comp sci degree.
>don't even like math but decided to get a math minor because why not
>now I can't code because my brain is filled with calculus and Gaussian equations and graph theory

KEK, but in all seriousness. I'm bad at coding. What do I do?
>>
Ayyyy! I've got a calc exam tomorrow too! Wanna study with me?
>>
>>51898222
>computer programming degree
What the fuck? Is this a thing now?
>>
>>51899138
That's what I chose as my major.
>>
How does linear algebra compare in difficulty to calculus?

I've finished all the required calc courses at my school (we only needed up to calc II) and now linear algebra is all that's left. Is it easier, harder, or just different?
>>
If you didn't have credit for Calculus already from an AP test or testing of of it or something I'm afraid you might be retarded.
I had credit for Calculus 1 and 2 before ever stepping fit into a college classroom.

Seriously if you hate math why are you majoring in CS? It is literally a math degree, like engineering to since degree. Engineers apply math to the physical world and computer scientists use math to solve problems (usually using computers)
>>
>>51899222
It isn't harder. Enjoy your eigenvectors
>>
>>51899165
How THE FUCK did you get into any kind of stem degree without being entirely familiar with calculus?
>>
>>51899249
Because most CS majors don't give a fuck about computer science and just want to get in on the web development/silicon valley gravy train.
>>
Calculus was the most useless shit I took I never even used it and I'm a programmer for the past 6 years
>>
>>51899351
Exactly. I wrote computer programs before I went to college, and I started math at college at an Algebra level.
>>
>I'm a software 'engineer'

I kek every time
>>
>>51899222
I found it way harder than calc 3. The thing is it is just different. You think laterally about problems. Rather than "Find the curvature of this helix function", it's "if the product of nxn matrices A and B = 0, is the determinant of A 0?"

You have to know more than just plug out a formula. What does it mean to multiply two matrices? When is their determinant zero? When is the product of two matrices 0?
>>
>>51898222
>hating on math
lmaooo fuck you desu senpai
>>
>>51899360
That's like majoring in physics because you want to build houses.
>>
>>51898320
The village barber cuts every villagers hair, so long as they don't cut their own hair.
Who cuts the village barber's hair?
>>
>>51899404
>designs complex computation operations that do the work equivalent to millions of human beings
>"LOL, you're no engineer."

>designs metal nuts for screwing onto bolts
>"Now that's an engineer!"
>>
>>51899469
No one, the barber has beautiful long flowing hair that is the envy of everyone else in the village.
>>
>>51899469
What if he's bald?
If you're going to bring up Russel's paradox, just use the set theory description of it.
>>
>>51899481

Nice hyperbole retardo. You wouldn't be an engineer even if you wanted to.

>design and materialize amazing spaceships and hadron colliders that explore the boundaries of human knowledge
>design an app that keeps track of the latest tweets xD

Wow what a valid comparison.
>>
Because colleges seem to think programmers make their own algorithms. My CS teacher understood the difference between CS and SE and he respected what the student wanted to be.
>>
>>51898222
AN?
>>
>>51899565
Except that's exactly how you put it. You implied any software engineer is not an engineer, without discrediting people who design bolts for a living. I was just pointing out your hypocrisy.
>>
>>51899658

Shush now code monkey, I've got some differential equations to figure out. Go back to play with your toys.
>>
>>51899565
>Turn on LHC
>Does its large hadron colliding
>Finishes

"Well, since only real engineers work on things like this we have no computer systems to actually detect what we just did."

>Billions in debt
>An hero
>>
>>51899738
The physicists do it themselves.
>>
>>51898222
>Am I ever going to use this shit?
No.
>>
>>51899565
>>51899658
If you have a PE license, you're an engineer.
>>
>>51899705
Enjoy wasting your life trying to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>51899705
>said the poster on his favorite Malaysian basket weaving social networking website.
>>
>>51899441
If every construction job required a physics degree, then you'd see a lot more people doing that. Or maybe not in that case since actually doing physics is probably more lucrative.

Pretty much nobody majors in CS to become a computer scientist. They do it so they can work in industry.
>>
>>51899404
>problem solving
>not engineering

please explain your logic.
>>
>>51898222
Only if your name isn't rajeesh, so you don't have to worry.
>>
Reminder that Stanford originally didn't want to offer a CS undergrad degree because they thought there wasn't enough content for four years of university.

Reminder that CS is a toddler-tier degree.
>>
>>51899909
And yet it's a field in huge demand, and many still struggle with it.
>>
>>51898222

> I can't handle Grade School math

Is this really the way things are in America? It's no wonder India is taking all your jobs.
>>
>I don't understand basic math
>it must be useless
Enjoy answering phones your entire life.
>>
>>51899981
desu, the level of calculus OP is talking about is so incredibly basic that it may actually be useless
>>
Im using vectors and diff equations with python in simulation systems
Its actyally very useful
>>
I feel like people in this thread are not distinguishing between college majors and actual professions.

Also, job titles aren't as important as job descriptions.
>>
Vector math is actually very helpful
>>
>>51900125
This. Also it depends wether you like working on good tier works or shitty stuff (pc repairing xD)
>>
I also meant to post the following:

http://www.nspe.org/resources/pe-magazine/december-2012/finally-pe-path-software-engineers
>The journey to license software engineers as professional engineers began in 1998 when the Texas Board of Professional Engineers licensed Don Bagert as the first PE in software engineering in the United States. The Texas board licensed more than 60 other software engineers by experience.

>After a three-year exam development effort lead by IEEE-USA, NCEES will administer the first PE exam in software engineering in April 2013, thus providing thousands of software engineers with a path to licensure. This examination now completes the three pillars of licensure: education, experience, and examination.

Most engineering students don't get their PE (although I would suspect most Civil Eng. students *do*). But PE licensing is available to software engineers.
>>
>>51898222
If you want to be a code-monkey then nothing.
However simulations (physics, circuit emulators, modeling of liquid flows, etc.), control systems, graphics, certain prediction algorithms.
If you're too stupid to use math and logic to model a problem that's your own problem, but there are people who are actually talented and want to do shit at a competent level.
>>
>>51900260
>be "software engineer" code monkey
>get paid 6 figures to develop Rails apps
>cushy job, no math or physics required

I don't see the problem here.
>>
>>51898222
>being too dumb to handle basic vector calculus
The lives of stupid people must be quite challenging.
>>
>>51900324
Me neither, I was talking about the level of competence required in math and possibly overall. I didn't say anything about how much compensation you get for your work. Although, from where I come from it's not that easy to make such money with developing Rails.
>>
>>51900375

>implying people choose to be stupid
>>
>>51900563
I didn't imply that at all actually.
>>
>>51900391
I think the high levels of compensation imply high levels of competence required. Stupid people become Java monkeys making half of what a good software engineer does. A company sure as shit isn't going to pay you that much if all you can do is rely on Stack overflow to solve your problems for you.
>>
>>51899046
Practice desu senpai
>>
>>51898320
back to reddit!
>>
>>51898222

yes you are
>>
>>51900915
>Stupid people become Java monkeys making half of what a good software engineer does
That's funny, because actual research says otherwise. Unless you're referring to Ruby on Rails programmers as lel,"good software engineer".
>>
>>51898222

Maybe, it's always good to know it. Expand your mind.
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 250x187
>Get new tower with the works
>UPS guy stubs his toe and drops this fucking thing on the curb as I watch.
>Now it just boots into black screen and I don't know what the fuck is wrong.
>Don't know if it's some minor bullshit getting knocked loose or a major catastrophe.
>mfw it's going to be the latter

Why was I born to suffer? That's the last fucking time I get my parts online.
>>
>>51901450
Your own fault. If you saw him drop it, you should have turned it on with him present and when it didn't work, return it with him, or refused to sign for and sent it back.
>>
>>51898222
yeah you're right
mathematics is not required if you want to be some retarded ass CRUD monkey
get the fuck out of this board
>>
>>51899046
Well, how do you get good at math? Practice. Do exercises. And while doing it you improve your thought process and method. The same applies to programming.
>>
>>51899420
If your school is teaching calculus as simple formula plug and play then it's doing it very wrong.
>>
>>51899565
Without somebody to write a complex program that takes information from particle collisions and processes it into human-readable data your precious LHC would be useless. Someone who writes a tweet aggregator can't be considered an engineer, but those who make complex software that goes hand in hand with other fields of engineering can be considered software engineers.
>>
>>51901379
Good Java engineers make as much as engineers using any other language.

Pajeets making 60k a year also love Java, along with a few other languages. It was just an example.
>>
> What the fuck does vector Calculus have to do with programming? Am I ever going to use this shit?

If you ever get into graphics programming, you'll thank your lucky stars you took that course. Also, it turns out that math is just programming, so just think of it that way.
>>
>>51898222
>What the fuck does vector Calculus have to do with programming? Am I ever going to use this shit?

You are going to use it all the time if you are smart in the head. It will save you months, maybe years of work if you really learn it. It will make you a decent programmer.

Any project you are involved in that involves something changing and the rate of change. And you also need it to be able to read stuff and libaries you might use.
>>
>>51898286
No it can't... Read Bertrand Russells principia mathematica where he attempted to do that. (With set theory) It failed due to two reasons.

Ludwig Wittgenstein's "Tractus logicus philosophicus" and Gödel's incompleteness theorems.

You can not derive all math from peano axioms. At some point your system will contradict itself, and then you add a axiom and then at some point the system contradict itself and so on forever.
>>
>>51901379
I'd wager that these statistics are skewed in favor of startups.

Of course SF hipsters with venture capital are going to use RoR, they don't know anything else.
>>
>>51898222
i hope you choke on the exam, op. you don't deserve a computer science degree. you have no appreciation for the science.
>>
>>51899469
He just cuts his own hair or goes to another village to get his hair cut
or he may be balding or just not cut his hair
>>
>>51901813
You obviously don't understand goëdel s theorem. It says a set of axioms can't prove themself to be consistent.
>>
File: tumblr_mewd3nCiqI1qfsollo1_400.gif (461 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mewd3nCiqI1qfsollo1_400.gif
461 KB, 400x261
>>51898269
>accurate simulation or modeling
Because most of us are every going to be doing that.
>>
>>51898820
They aren't. There's a degree for engineering programs. Guess what it's called.
>>
File: LainLaugh-2.gif (295 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
LainLaugh-2.gif
295 KB, 700x704
>>51898222
>>
>being too intellectually lazy to learn calculus
>going to a university for vocational training

Top kuck.
>>
>>51898222
/sci/ is going to have a field day with this one.
>>
File: j7uGLFe.png (21 KB, 901x141) Image search: [Google]
j7uGLFe.png
21 KB, 901x141
>>51899787
no you're not, you're an idiot
>>
Because vectors and matrices are very much like arrays and you use those everywhere. Having some knowledge about them is super useful and will probably prevent you from writing retarded O(n^3) algorithms at least once in your career.

And of course it's the fucking basic for ANY kind of image manipulation.
setosa.io/ev/image-kernels/

This will be useful unless your goal in life is to become a web code monkey.
>>
File: 1447889156452.gif (737 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
1447889156452.gif
737 KB, 200x250
>>51898222
You can't be that stupid?
>>
>>51898222
I look forward to you giving me fries with that.
>>
>>51898269
then I'd have to take physics, wouldn't I?
So I guess if I don't want to make muh gaymes or stupid scientific models for phyisics then I don't give a fuck am I right?
So basically it has nothing to do with programming itself but with applications of programming?
I mean, if you had to make a gui for an indonesian software you'd probably need to understand some indonesian but that doesn't make it related with programming.
Retard.
Oh, and I am studying CS and always get As in math. And our math curricula is much more extensive that the one you guys have at your shitty private universities.
>>
>>51898222

vectors are easy if you spend 30 minutes learning them, easy marks in an exam too as you can tell if you've done the calculations right if the numbers all match.
>>
No and the only people who tell you so are probably CS first years or some other faggots trying to pretend all this information won't be useless

Calc would be useful if you were doing embedded systems programming in C but if you don't care and just want to be a dumb code monkey on a fat salary all you need is 8th grade pre algebra and C#
>>
>>51902740
>Oh, and I am studying CS and always get As in math. And our math curricula is much more extensive that the one you guys have at your shitty private universities.

What in my post suggests my education background?
>>
>>51902075
If you aren't expect to be out of a job in a few years
Programming is an outdated job
System modelling and algorithm modeling is the future
Computers generate safer code than you'd ever make
>>
>>51898222
some people here will say yes but that's not really true

the only super important branches of maths for programming are logic and discrete maths. you will prob never use it. although all branches of maths can be used. i do a lot of vector stuff because i'm working on simulations right now
>>
>>51898222
I'm graduating with a 6 figure salary. No you don't need calculus, but discrete math is useful as fuck.
>>
>>51902867
Every job will be outdated. You'll just provide the necessity, and an 'AI' will find the most suitable model or algorithm.
>>
Why would you study CS is you don't care for core concepts of computation. In it for the mad dosh everyone you'll get? Those numbers mean jack shit if you're 40 and realise you don't care for computing after all
>>
>>51898222
Same reason it's a prereq for med students: if you can't handle basic calculus, you can't handle the next steps of the program. It's good exercise for the brain, even when it's not directly applicable.
>>
>>51902740
>my community college is better than the ivy league, I swear!
>>
>>51899738
>programmers are brought in to work on the LHC
Yeah, because particle physicists really want some unrelated nutfucks running around trying to create a system for them. Wrong, physicists and engineers learn how to program, too. Couple that with the actually important tools of higher level physics, math, and modeling, and now all those programmers are doing is trying to make the next big app.
>>
>>51903039
>community college
xDD
>>
File: dum pplack.png (127 KB, 870x265) Image search: [Google]
dum pplack.png
127 KB, 870x265
>>51902982
Not him but
>be humanities student
>immigrating
>history professor suggest I take a computer course when to be more rounded
>take computer repair course at local community centre
>holy shit this is fascinating
>switch to computer programming degree
>Go full CS after two years
>find out my starting salary would be higher than what my mother makes
>she's has a masters and 30 years experience
pic unrelated
>>
>>51903056
>Wrong, physicists and engineers learn how to program, too.
Honestly, they don't program very well. They come up with prototypes, and half the time programmers have to finish the prototypes because the scientists and engineers can't.

Then, the programmers create a useable program, workflow or tool.
>>
>>51899420
>if the product of nxn matrices A and B = 0, is the determinant of A 0?
What's the correct answer? I think yes, though I can't come up with a good proof.

Something along the lines of:
If you interpret the columns of matrix B as basis vectors for a coordinate system, or in other words as edges for a parallelepiped, then having the null matrix as result means you turned all basis vectors - all those edges of that parallelepiped - to null vectors.
As the determinant gives you a factor telling you the change in volume of a transformed object, the determinant has to be zero because the parallelepiped was shrunken on at least one axis (in fact on all axis) to zero.

Or something like that?
>>
>>51903341
False.
det(AB) = det(A)det(B)
>>
>>51903592
Yikes. That was easier than I thought. I guess I will hit a textbook.
Thanks.
>>
>>51902740
Look at this retard.
Programming is a tool to solve problems using computing. Most often these problems are in mathematics, the sciences, and engineering.
YOU won't use math or physics in your programs because you'll never work on anything important. You'll most likely be a code monkey putting up with Raj in the next cubicle over.
I've already used this shit in my undergrad research than you will in your entire career.
Kill yourself you pompous ass.
>>
>>51902982
Nobody majors in CS to be a computer scientist, save for a few people who decide to get an advanced degree in the field and do academic research. Instead, they do it so they can work in industry, doing shit like programming, webdev, some IT-related jobs, etc. This is a more pragmatic choice than being a computer scientist anyway: you'll be out of school 4 years earlier, and still make more money than you would have in academia. So is it any surprise that you get CS majors who don't really care about the theoretical aspects of CS and are just doing it for the dosh?
>>
What do Americans mean when they say calculus? Integration and stuff?
>>
>>51903861
>Most often these problems are in mathematics, the sciences, and engineering.

Oh look, it's someone who has no fucking clue what he's talking about.

There are a shitload of jobs that you can get that involve different problem domains from the ones you listed. Do you think most software companies revolve around math and science?
>>
>>51898222
>What the fuck does vector Calculus have to do with programming?

Drop out and go mop floors.
>>
I'm in first year comp sci and calc I was a fucking joke it was all high school review. OP you're just a pussy faggot don't CS if u can't math bitch
>>
As a high school drop-out code monkey with no real means of going back to school, what's the best resource for learning high-school level math beyond algebra and collegiate shit like Calculus?
>>
>>51906057
Khan Academy.

When I took Calc 2, two years had passed since my last math course, and I didn't remember a single thing about calculus. But a week studying Khan Academy was enough to prepare me to enter the class. Entry-level calculus stuff is really basic and can be learned quickly.
>>
File: 1449903229735.png (216 KB, 471x334) Image search: [Google]
1449903229735.png
216 KB, 471x334
>tfw I'm an English major because I can't into math
A-at least I can teach, right?
>>
>>51906092
Really?
https://cms.springbranchisd.com/Portals/199/night%20school/Algebra%20I%20B%20Review.pdf?ver=2015-06-18-150512-263
This is seriously the extent of my math knowledge.
>>
>>51906251
Do you know trigonometry?

If I remember correctly, intro calculus is just derivatives, integration, and limits. All of which only require algebra and trig to understand.
>>
>>51906313
N-no. I've heard bad things about Khan Academy for first time learners though, isn't there any other OCW style lectures that get reccomended?
>>
File: 1449373225613.jpg (11 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1449373225613.jpg
11 KB, 235x235
>>51898222
lmao
>>
>>51898222
>muh usefulness
You faggots need to be taught graduate level algebra.
>>
File: sussman shig.jpg (71 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
sussman shig.jpg
71 KB, 500x375
>>51898222
>>
>>51898222
If you work with 8 bit microcontrollers you'll understand, you have to make your own functions to integrate and differentiate stuff, there's nothing like calculus.h when you're dealing with atmegas and pics. It's important to know we how this stuff works, calculus is most about memorization so that makes it even better.
At the very least it'll save you from Alzheimer's in old age
>>
>>51902075
I'm not even finished uni yet and I'm working at some random programming job for the summer. My current project is writing a DirectX11 appplication. If you've ever written something with it you'll know how fucking useful it is to know linear algebra.
>>
File: review_code.png (49 KB, 744x612) Image search: [Google]
review_code.png
49 KB, 744x612
>be retarded
>studying industrial engineering
All is good
>>
>>51898247
Go back to Reddit you disgusting landwhale
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.