[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Supporting Free Software is an integral part of building a good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: 1447753083245.gif (27 KB, 896x700) Image search: [Google]
1447753083245.gif
27 KB, 896x700
Supporting Free Software is an integral part of building a good future for us and generations to come. Why? The reason is simple. Proprietary ideologies are the enemies of human progress. If we, as a species, cannot contribute to the world, then we will never advance. Transparency is paramount. How can we ensure that the biological augmentations we receive in the future function as they are supposed to without reviewing and auditing the code?

Let's say you needed a pacemaker to live. It is sold by a company that has made the source code proprietary and closed. The unit you have is known to have a bug that causes it to give out at random intervals, but this was discovered after your doctor prescribed you this unit. There are no other units available. The company responsible for the production of your unit has simply stated: "We're working on it."

How is this in any way acceptable? Your life is in constant mortal danger because of the company's unwillingness to patch the bug. This would never happen if the code and hardware were released under the GPL.

Build a better future. There is no reason to support the opponents of Freedom.
>>
Same applies to the retarded concept of "patents".
Good goyim believe patents are there to protect the small inventors, but in reality they're only there to protec the corporate interest.

Patent laws need to be reviewed and changed
>>
kill ALL proprietary software/hardware users.
>>
nice copypasta
>>
>>51896097
I think that is quite extreme. Education and legal restrictions are the ways to control proprietary software/hardware use in favour of FOSS/H
>>
>>51896108
luckily something being copy pasted doesn't invalidate any of its points
>>
>>51896108
Prove it.
>>
>>51895960
There is only one thing that matters:

Money. If you're not making it what's the point. The Free Software Movement and the cancer that is the GPL needs to die. Open source however is a good development model and moderates like ESR and Icaza understand this. The world needs more people like them and less uncompromising idealists like Stallman. If you want do something meaningful, work towards an open web.
>>
>>51896143
Oy vey, Schlomo! Don't be so obvious to the goyim!
>>
File: no.png (310 KB, 1362x745) Image search: [Google]
no.png
310 KB, 1362x745
>>51896132
that was quick.
>>
>>51896163
I remember rms telling Brian Lunduke on the Linux Action Show that his kids should starve rather than resort to selling proprietary software. What a sad, sad man.
>>
>>51895960
>>51896085
fuck off idiots

>>51896185
Goddamn free software is cancer. You'll never make money off communist software like GNU or Linux. I'm glad windows is the biggest selling OS, it deserves it.
>>
>>51896217
Shill

>>51896185
The best choice is often the hardest to make
>>
>>51896217
t. Pajeet Dikshit
>>
>>51896244
WHAT DOES THE " t. " MEAN?

I started seeing this months ago never bothered to ask.
>>
>>51896244
>>51896225
Fuck off you fat autists, nobody is going to use buggy freetard software when they can use software that works.
>>
>>51896262
In my experience, Windows has always been more buggy than my GNU/Linux installs. Dor your information, I have a BMI of 18.
>>
>>51896254
Abbreviation of terveisin, Finnish word for "regards"
>>
>>51896185
>You know, if you were *really* going to starve, you'd be justified in writing proprietary software. If somebody's
pointing a gun at you, then I would say, it's forgivable.
https://www.gnu.org/events/rms-nyu-2001-transcript.txt

>>51896217
>>51896262
Indian streets are outside eager for somebody to shit on them.
>>
>>51896307
>freetard can only argue using memes
typical
>>
>>51896143
>There is only one thing that matters:
>Money.

Clearly you are victim of capitalistic brainwashing. FOSS/H will bring us the communist / anarchist utopian dream.
>>
File: 1450045721494.jpg (221 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
1450045721494.jpg
221 KB, 389x500
>>51896327
>communist / anarchist utopian dream

i support free software but shut the fuck up
>>
>>51896307
>attatch a quote
>give source
>refute the point
>"lol memes xD"

Oh wait, you're not >>51896185
You're just the indian I replied to as well. never mind.
>>
>>51896355

>>51896311
>>
>>51896346
Guitar magic IS real dammit
>>
>>51896355
>>51896368
Not him but if you don't want to get memes as a counterargument id recommend not using memes as an argument either.

>communism software
>cant make money doe
>le cancer
>fat neckbeards
>freetards
And the list goes on.

Also
Hello /v/eddit
>>
Who is the guy who made these lain images gifs?

>>51895960
>>51882423
>>
>>51896604
No some lainchanfag made them
>>
>>51896623
Is it this same guy who made this site?
>>
>>51896635
http://fauux.neocities.org/
>>
>>51895960
>blah blah blah
False.
Nice try you fucking Jew piece of shit trying to con people in to slave labor. The greatest advancements in science and technology the past 150 years and beyond has been from CLOSED SOURCE.

All FOSS has done is create a small generation of mentally ill retards that does as little and as poorly as possible then spends 20 hours a day on obscure forums bitching and moaning that they can't be given whatever they like for free on silver platter.
>>
>>51895960
>integral part of building a good future for us and generations to come
IMPLYING I GIVE A FUCK. Dumbass cultfag.
>>
>>51896662
>Nice try you fucking Jew piece of shit trying to con people in to slave labor
When you have freedom you are by definition not a slave. What are you talking about?

>The greatest advancements in science and technology the past 150 years and beyond has been from CLOSED SOURCE.
No they weren't!

>All FOSS has done is create a small generation of mentally ill retards that does as little and as poorly as possible then spends 20 hours a day on obscure forums bitching and moaning that they can't be given whatever they like for free on silver platter.
Obviously false otherwise all free software would be vaporware.
>>
>>51896179
>he visits the autism filled /g/
kek
>>
>>51896662
>>blah blah blah
>False.
>Nice try you fucking Jew piece of shit trying to con people in to slave labor.
You mean working on improving FOSS/H projects is slave labour. And working for some capitalistic Jew for whole your life where you get treated as employee #1243 just because you need money to buy food for yourself and your family is not considered slave labour?

The greatest advancements in science and technology the past 150 years and beyond has been from CLOSED SOURCE.
In technology this might be true, but science is a different thing. I see scientists as reverse engineers trying to find the source of our reality. Our universe is essentially proprietary for us humans, we do not know who or what made it and what the rules are, here is where scientist shine they reverse engineer by experimentation and uncover the source of the universe.

>All FOSS has done is create a small generation of mentally ill retards that does as little and as poorly as possible then spends 20 hours a day on obscure forums bitching and moaning that they can't be given whatever they like for free on silver platter.
Stop shilling this board Jew!
>>
>>51896711
You'll give a fuck when the SWAT team kicks down your door for illegally viewing media and copying media for personal use. The TPP will kill the Internet as we know it. Free ideologies and transparency measures could have stopped this atrocity, should they have been adopted by non-corrupt governments, but we all know that such a thing does not exist.
>>
>>51896662

>The greatest advancements in science and technology the past 150 years and beyond has been from CLOSED SOURCE.

Like what?
Without FOSS, the Internet as we know it wouldn't exist.
>>
>>51897339
>I see scientists as reverse engineers trying to find the source of our reality.

Oh shut the fuck up. I haven't read a statement this asinine in a while. Science is nothing like what you described. Only a child would have this sort of delusional understanding of what scientists and engineers do.
>>
>>51897339
> The greatest advancements in science and technology the past 150 years and beyond has been from CLOSED SOURCE.
Wrong.

It has been from the open sauce-like process called "science" in Academia.

And on Computers it was UNIX pirated to open sauce likeness and now Linux which really runs about everything that really matters.
>>
File: Control.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Control.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>51897692
So what is science then, smartass? Please, do enlighten us.
>>
>>51898088
A systematic enterprise that creates, builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.