[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux. Gentoo is a GNU/Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Gblend.png (1 MB, 1873x1917) Image search: [Google]
Gblend.png
1 MB, 1873x1917
I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.

Install Trisquel
>>
>>51894191
>More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
Gentoo has license groups, which means you can install free software only by masking software with non free licenses. Gentoo is the only major distro which you can have fully free software without having to use a spinoff distro.
>>
>>51894191
LICENSE="-* @FREE" USE="deblob bindist" emerge -auDN @world
>>
>>51894214
>Gentoo is the only major distro which you can have fully free software without having to use a spinoff distro.
Not true.
Debian is 100% libre by default.
>>
>>51894229
Debian GNU+Linux does it by default.
Also Debian does not call itself Linux when it's actually GNU+Linux. They avoid the issue by not having "Linux" in their name in the first place. After all you can also run Debian als GNU+kFreeBSD
>>
>>51894231
Oh, right, I forgot about debian and also fedora is libre by default. My mistake.
>>
>>51894246
It's a relatively new development. Debian used to be non-free. They changed with v7.0 AFAIK
>>
>>51894243
License groups are pretty nifty, plus gentoo is great if you prefer to compile it yourself or want it compiled differently.
>>
>>51894229
Funny because the last time I did this, Gentoo tried to uninstall its kernel
>>
>>51894298
What the hell? What command did you type because it's not supposed to do that.
>>
>>51894298
Since gentoo-source drops deblob support
>>
>>51894191
Gentoo doesn't have to use GNU or even Linux.
>>
>>51894191
>Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs

It literally requires you to open up your text editor and acknowledge the EULA to install each nonfree package
>>
File: ss (2015-12-16 at 02.22.52).jpg (29 KB, 548x398) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-16 at 02.22.52).jpg
29 KB, 548x398
>>51894191
What's being reflected in the Gentoo logo again?
A google street view image?
>>
>>51894191 (OP)
>Trisquel

Which makes it the easiest distro to install nonfree software on due to its PPA support and Ubuntu binary compatibility
>>
>>51894646
The default kernel uses non-free firmware
>>
>>51894662
JUST
>>
>>51894680
There is no default kernel. You install linux libre by selecting it.
>>
>>51894662
im scared now
>>
>>51894298
Nah.
>>
>>51894680
you can use the deblob flag to strip it of non free firmware.
>>
>>51894762
GNU distributions should be free by default
>>
>>51894818
Gentoo gives you a choice to use non free software, if you want or don't want to.
>>
>>51894191
>OS gives you the freedom to install what you want
>it's unfree

This is why people correctly believe that you freetard faggits are retarded. And hypocritical.
>>
>>51896042
There's positive freedom and negative freedom.
The freedom to be enslaved is negative freedom.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.