[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best place to start learning C++?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 2015_bjarne_straustroup.jpg (38 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
2015_bjarne_straustroup.jpg
38 KB, 200x250
So before you bigots start blasting me for not using Google or Youtube before posting such a question. I'm curious to know what /g/ thinks about my question since you guys are meant to be... experienced.
>>
Learn java, progress to C++.

Using java is great for learning because the compiling is minimal meaning you can easily test tiny changes to the code.
Furthermore, hotswapping code is possible, meaning that you can change code to see what changes as you do it.

Finally, Java and C++ are relatively similar (inb4 /g/entlemen go nuts) and are easy to learn from the other.
>>
>>51894121
If your final goal is C++, do not learn anything else. Start with that.
>>
File: PPP2frontNback.jpg (113 KB, 1170x677) Image search: [Google]
PPP2frontNback.jpg
113 KB, 1170x677
>>51894102
PPP2
http://stroustrup.com/Programming/
>>
>>51894123
this. especially do not start with C first before C++ if C++ is you're goal.

guys who do this are never able to write good C++.
>>
First i would read the tutorial section on

c plus plus . com

Get an idea about the basics.
>>
>>51894102
ask /dpt/ or google
>>
If I learn C# first, will it just mess me up for C++?
C# is a required intro class at my community college's IT course, so should I bumrush C++ before next fall?
>>
>>51895566
No, you should be fine. Just be aware when you're ready later to learn C++, that while much of the syntax may look similar, they are quite different languages.

You will suddenly be required to actually understand the irl underpinnings of much of the 'magic' you were taught to accept in C# as some mysterious force that's just there. Same effect you'd have learning Java as a first language then C++.
>>
>>51895566
>so should I bumrush C++ before next fall?
Heh, I'm not sure you understand the term very well, but you could get through much of this book
>>51894700

over the summer if you really wanted to. You'd be much better prepared for C# (and programming in general) if you did so anon.
>>
>>51894102
>>learnxinyminutes.com
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.