[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I go about upgrading to an SSD. Is there any way to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: 5199WAr8BZL._SL1000_.jpg (44 KB, 1000x714) Image search: [Google]
5199WAr8BZL._SL1000_.jpg
44 KB, 1000x714
How do I go about upgrading to an SSD.
Is there any way to do this with out any data loss?
>>
By using the cloning software included with you drive
>>
Use a disk cloning software, most SSD makers have their own software for doing it. If not google one.
>>
Yeah, don't delete your fucking data you fucking idiot
>>
File: image.png (124 KB, 1055x799) Image search: [Google]
image.png
124 KB, 1055x799
>>51892566
Get a Samsung SSD. It comes with a piece of software called "Samsung Magician." This clones your boot disk to the SSD if desired.
>>
I downloaded AOMEI backupper and created a bootable disc/usb device and that cloned it easily and free. WOrked like a charm
>>
Don't I have to install the operating system on the SSD?
>>
File: 1450170220446.gif (115 KB, 231x498) Image search: [Google]
1450170220446.gif
115 KB, 231x498
Use clonezilla and you should be fine.
>>
>>51894741
If he's a beginner, to be fair, something less... CLI... might be better.

Also I'm not sure if Clonezilla ever added support for cloning to smaller drives from larger ones, which he will almost certainly be doing. :/

But there are many applications to do this, OP.
Just find one that isn't bullshit, create the bootable media for it, and then clone your old hard disk drive to the SSD.

You DO have to make sure that you are using less space on the HDD than the SSD can hold. Obviously.
>>
>>51892617
Why would you tell him to buy TLC shit?
>>
File: 1449806603427.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1449806603427.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>51892566
ghost
>>
I'm about to do the same thing with an older win 7 box from 11. Should I do a fresh windows install instead of cloning or just clone the whole drive over and not care?
>>
>>51892566
Use Macrium Reflect to clone the drive, then switch boot order to boot from the SSD.
>>
>>51896929
I have partitioned drives, Will that pose a problem?
>>
>>51896945
Are you running Windows?

If you just have like, 4 partitions on a drive, and the total data size is less than what fits on the SSD... then most cloning software will do just fine. It doesn't care, it'll just trim the free space off the partitions to make them fit. Most do this pretty well / intelligently, so you just sorta shrink the free space off each partition based on their total size.
>>
>>51896970
Just to be clear, Windows shouldn't have a problem with it, long as the cloning software can read your file system and not F*ck it up.

Linux should also be fine, but I could think of cases where some systems might flip out if you move partitions around on your boot device, which is what you'd be doing essentially.
>>
>>51896945
No, it shouldn't, assuming your Windows partition fits on the SSD.
>>
>>51897082
So despite being partitioned from a larger drive I can choose to clone only the partition that holds the operating system?
>>
>>51897082
If he's going to put just his Windows partition from one drive and no others, worthy of note that he should include the SYSTEM partition that is hidden as well, and make sure the MBR gets moved over correctly, etc.

>>51897133
Yes, with most software you can do this.
>>
OP, what OS and version are you running?

If it's Windows, I recommend Acronis True Image for easy use, as it's a pretty n00b proof tool.
>>
>>51896889
Day 301. SSD samsung 850 evo has become a good SSD to my virtual pc.

Woah. Better call it a meme and then call out shills.

I am so sorry you are retarded. But in all honesty, this SSD is the best purchase I have done.

Samsung
HyperX
Some other shit

Depends on speed, requirements.

Don't knock something you have never owned.
>>
>>51897180
Owned several SSDs... but it's not a meme that TLC will last a shorter amount of time than the regular MLC ones, or if you wanna go insane, the SLC ones.
It's just a fact of how they work.

Now, that doesn't mean the Samsung SSDs will not last a reasonable amount of time, but since there's not really a price premium for MLC drives (non-samsung) over the TLC Samsung ones, I go with the MLC usually in the interest of not having to replace the drive for a little while longer.

That said, of course, 2 years later, the Samsung SSD that has TLC NAND in it, is still fine. I just don't recommend Samsung over others as the TLC NAND and sometimes price premium for the Samsung brand name, just doesn't seem to add up, in my opinion.
>>
>>51896873
>Also I'm not sure if Clonezilla ever added support for cloning to smaller drives from larger ones, which he will almost certainly be doing

Given how cheap 2T SSDs are why would you need to clone to a smaller drive? If his PC is new enough he has more than 2T as a main drive he would almost certainly have put an SSD in from new as boot drive have been cheap for years.
>>
>>51892566

ummm

okay

>install SSD
>copy files from HDD to SSD

wow that was fucking hard wasn't it?
>>
File: Capture.png (398 KB, 378x439) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
398 KB, 378x439
>>51900274
>>
>evo 850
>best bang for shekel
>>
There is a simple feature in all microsoft OS's and linux OS's. Even maybe mac (I don't know, im not a cuck)
BEFORE you do ANYTHING. Rightclick the new drive, click format (quick format is fine for the new drive)

Right click the OLD drive and do the same thing. First quick format, then do it again but uncheck quick format. This one may take a little while but thats normal, it is checking the integrity of every file, This formats the drives to match each other, because they are formatted by the same PC.

THEN you can either manually copy and paste files. Or use a software to do it, like the clone ones mentioned earlier.

I just stuck drives into my tower, never take any out but whatever you wanna do.
>>
>>51900274
DONT DO THIS IT MAKES MUSTARD GAS
>>
>>51896893
What the fuck.is that? Micro SD to SATA?
>>
>>51892566
Are you fucking retarded?

>Acronis
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.