[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: wisdom_of_the_ancients.png (27 KB, 485x270) Image search: [Google]
wisdom_of_the_ancients.png
27 KB, 485x270
Last thread: >>51878482

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>51891047
Use a search engine
>>
>>51891050
Why start another thread when the other one is young you fucking faggot.

"kill yourself"
>>
>>51891071
search engine? oh you mean you have not installed debian 6 and searched the man pages and or edited default configuration files.

You're useless and should be thrown out like this fork thread.
>>
>>51891090
Debian has no "Apt-Armor". It's AppArmor. Go kill yourself before you call your kind "educated", you piece of shit. https://wiki.debian.org/AppArmor

Also, I've run Debian + SELinux on Debian 5.
>>
i want to use irc but having everyone see my ip and username is spoopy desu
>>
How can i check CPU temps in Linux Mint?, I had installed windows 7 and it kept my cpu at 50% usages and 90 degrees lol.
>>
>>51891306
set mode +x
>>
>>51891306
get over it
>>
I just installed Debian, what else do I pick up aside from gcc, g++, and vim?
>>
>>51891306
>and username
Then choose a different name for irc?
And hiding your ip should be possible if you're paranoid.
>>
>>51891399
yea i figured out the nick thing pretty quick but i guess the ip is fine since its not my own right now

as long as i stay on freenode ill be safe right?

right....?
>>
>>51891437
yes
>>
>>51891437
Do you have anything to hide?
>>
Why is linux audio so quiet?
Linux is about half as loud as windows.
>>
>>51892929
that's such a stupidly specific question asked in such an overly board way

it might be your alsa settings, it might be your driver, idk

my machine is actually louder on linux at full volume than win 10
>>
I think I've got the hang of Arch in my Virtualbox, so my next step is dualbooting.

But:
>no USBs
>no CD/DVDs (because this isn't 2004)

DriveDroid seems like it'll do the trick, but then there's my second hiccup: Arch's installation is kind of complicated, and in perfect situation, I would probably look at the wiki on my phone while doing it.

I've already done a botched Arch install in the VM and then a 99% OK install in the VM afterwards. So, should I just man up and just write down the important bits from the installation guides? Should I use Archboot? Or Antergos? Or is there some obvious solution that I'm overlooking?
>>
>>51891437
Freenode has nickserv and they provide cloaks.
https://www.freenode.net/faq.shtml#cloaks

Or just use their webclient https://webchat.freenode.net/
>>
>>51892959
It's not my alsa settings everything is on 100%.

100% volume on windows could probably give me ear damage and possibly damage one of my budget earphones. And that's with -5 db preamp since I have global equalization set up.

100% on linux I struggle to hear some of the instruments in my music. And that's with no preamp, since linux doesn't even fucking have a global parametric equalizer.
>>
Should I use vim or emacs for doing Latex?
>>
>>51892970
Use Architect installer. It is same as installing Arch manually, just easier because it'll guide you through the whole process.

>>51892989
Why do audiophiles have to be so whiny about it?
>>
>>51892989
>linux doesn't even fucking have a global parametric equalizer.
Neither does windows as far as I know.

Though on linux it's pretty simple to setup calf 30-band eq or something similar, have global or per app control etc.

As for your problem, do you use pulseaudio?
>>
>>51893116
>Neither does windows as far as I know.
It does. With a GUI, no less.
>30-band eq
Those are actually completely useless because you never know what the frequency response will be without knowing the Q value of each band, so you can't fine-tune anything.
>do you use pulseaudio?
Yes.
>>
>>51891050
So, what actually are the proc/cons of Arch? As opposed to something more typical like Mint?
>>
Recommend me any good book for Emacs beginners.
>>
>>51893213
>It does.
Where is this windows eq? I've never seen one.

>Those are actually completely useless
So how is Windows eq usefull, but pro audio eq useless? I though you complained about not having one? What I meant by my comment is that you can plug what ever audio plugin(that works under jackd) to your audio pipeline, it's relatively simple. So you should have no issues using what ever eq on Linux if you want to.
This was the plugin I referred to http://calf-studio-gear.org/ it's the 30 band eq one.

Now as for your audio issue, you are sure that alsamixer is not the culprit? I mean it usually has multiple tabs of controls not straight visible per device, so make sure your pcm/line/speaker are set correctly(hit right arrow until you hit end, to see them all).
The next culprit might be pulseaudio and it's default devices, so launch "pavucontrol" and see if changing the default target helps.
I mean it could say "default audio device" with the controls, see if you can set your card manually. That might do it, it's a common issue. Also check pulse audio levels while you are at it.

If that doesn't do it, then it's most likely something to do with your actual device and it's drivers, so post your device and we go from there.
>>
>>51893213
Pulseaudio has an equalizer,
pulseaudio-equalizer

might be installed by default and yes it has a GUI.
>>
>>51893456
>Where is this windows eq?
It's called Equalizer APO.
>I've never seen one.
I bet you've never seen a great many of things, doesn't mean they don't exist.
>So how is Windows eq usefull, but pro audio eq useless?
Because one is parametric and the other is not.
Do you know what a parametric equalizer is?

I've done some troubleshooting with alsamixer and pulseaudio, everything is on 100%. I can push the volume beyond 100% in pavucontrol, but that creates horrible clipping, so it's not that.
I guess I could look up the model of my motherboard sound chip.
But even if that's fixed, I still wouldn't be able to use a parametric equalizer, which is very unfortunate, since I'll be working with audio.
>>51893517
That's not a parametric equalizer.
>>
What else other than mpd uses the address "6600"? I can't get mpd to start because something else is using it.
>>
>>51893061
texmaker
>>
File: Installing Arch.2015.png (2 MB, 3502x9294) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 3502x9294
>>51892970
>So, should I just man up and just write down the important bits from the installation guides?
>>
File: 1448982791967.jpg (130 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1448982791967.jpg
130 KB, 960x960
i installed arch by bootstrapping from ubuntu, I can boot into it from the grub command line but when i try and launch it from the grub automenu i get kernel panic, unable to mount VFS, any ideas? ive reinstalled grub and remade initcpio files
>>
since ff on arch now uses gtk3, is there a way to have an "icon view" for the fileselector dialog, like it was possible for gtk2 using ahodesuka's patch?
>>
Is it autistic to say in public GNU/Linux?
I kinda need to say things correctly but I don't know how correct is this
>>
>>51893870
yes it is
>>
>>51893870
Just let go, embrace your autism. You won't believe the kind of feeling you get when you first say to someone irl "I'd just like to interject for a moment..."
>>
>>51893919
I-I will embrace it ! The thing is that I kinda have an inside urge to call things correctly regardless if they are from tech world or not.

But the problem for me is that not everyone is agreeing that GNU/Linux is the correct name for "it".
>>
>>51893952
sounds like you are already autistic anon, read this, it's good
>>
>>51893964
Yeah I guess calling things by their correct name is autistic :(
>>
>>51893973
having the compulsion to do so press on ones mind to the point where they feel a distinct " need to say things correctly" may very well be, anyhow I'm not saying its bad, as I said, read the book, it's good
>>
>>51893973
obsessing over it is
>>
>>51893314
Installing the normal arch is too minimal for it to be useful without wasting time on it to be used like other distros so all that minimalism is useless unless you're going to make your own arch based distro. There are lots of arch based distros that have what you need. An advantage of an arch based distro is the help you can find and the software. Just read the front page of the arch website before updating.
>>
>>51893992
I dont know if its obsession or common sense , I mean I cant call a tree "that leafy thing"
>>
>>51894025
when you see a pine tree presumably you dont have to add that its a Gymnosperm, even though its existence as a pine tree is contingent its method of reproduction
>>
>>51893314
If you can figure out a specific setup for yourself and have a couple hours, it's pretty neat.

My setup is minimal as it is and I borrowed some of my old configs from Debian.
>>
>>51893799
You might need to use
mkinitcpio
>>
>>51894141
i've used that, no dice. Do you know if i can use genfstab while arch is running? as i had to bootstrap it, it will be a ball ache to rebootstrap. I just realised I had to format the 1mb unformatted grub-boot partition after invoking genfstab, do you think this could cause problems?
>>
>>51893615
>Equalizer APO
But that's not part of Windows, it's a 3rd party program...

>I still wouldn't be able to use a parametric equalizer
Ofc you can, here's one parametric eq for Linux http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/about.html
and here's another http://eq10q.sourceforge.net/
both can function globally or per sound src basis.

I don't understand how did you assume I would be under the impression there wasn't *any* parametric eq for Windows, and likewise I don't understand how would you assume there aren't *any* parametric eq's for Linux either, I sincerely though you were talking about "builtin" or default programs.
What an odd fellow you are.

Linux is perfectly suitable for audio work, the only few things it lacks are, decent VST support and specific programs available on other platforms. Both are solvable to some degree, you can run Windows audio software under wine or in a virtual machine and VSTs can be made to work but are a pain to setup. Though both are big things and will mean Linux will not go mainstream on audio tasks for a while, but what Linux lacks in those areas, it handles some better.
If one thinks the whole Linux OS as a DAW, it will help in the long run, since most available audio software is very pluggable/routable and can talk to each other via standards.
You should definitely look into jackd and LADSPA/LV2.
>>
what is the file debian executes on login?
LightDM is currently my login manager,
I'm probably going to keep it.
I'm trying to figure out how to run 'sh ~/.fehbg &' on login to change my background.
putting it in ~/.profile doesn't seem to be doing what I need.
>>
>>51891356

Psensor
>>
>>51894344
Finally.
Thank you.

I've been asking for a parametric EQ on linux for five threads in a row now, and the only time it works is when I start being a confrontational cunt.

Thanks a lot, I was starting to lose hope.

Also, I've seen jamin, but it was pretty unusable for fine tuned equalization.
>>
File: 1447784934386.png (30 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
1447784934386.png
30 KB, 190x190
https://wakaba.dhcp.io/files/174.pdf
>>
How do I check what are using the port numbers on systemctl? I've listed units and sockets but there's no numbers.
>>
>>51894608
I think the earlier posted calf plugin suite also has parametric eq's, the 30-band is not the only eq they provide.

Now pulseaudio supports ladspa/lv2 plugins straight so you don't need to use jackd unless you want to, but you need to supply the settings via cli parameters and that can be a hassle.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/43950/how-can-i-apply-a-ladspa-plugin-to-a-pulseaudio-stream

So I don't think you can comfortably use these eq plugins without jackd.
You can run pulseaudio ontop of jackd, it will require some tweaking, but should enable best compromise, since not all applications can talk to jackd. I think currently there is a pulseaudio-modules-jackd or similar named package, that should have the necessary modules for it to work, depends on your distro.

Also if you want to test different plugins, you might want to use something like http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Applications:Carla
which is a host/rack/router for ladspa/lv2 plugins.
>>
Everyone is complaining about driver support in Linux and you need to install additional stuff to get them working. Why is no one criticizing how drivers are set up in Linux?
>>
File: a.jpg (491 KB, 1306x677) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
491 KB, 1306x677
>>51894798
i haven't been following your conversation, but i personally have a pulse>jack setup that includes an equalizer

calf has a 5, 8, 12, and 30 band eq. i don't need much so i just use the 5 band one
>>
>>51894808
what do you mean with
>how drivers are set up in Linux?

also, i dont find it horrible to install drivers on linux.. as long as there is no amd graphics card involved
>>
>>51894808
it depends on your hardware, in many cases you don't need to do anything, especially if you got your hardware with the purpose of running linux in mind

my desktop for example is using fully supported hardware, i don't need to do anything driver-wise whatsoever, much less of a hassle than windows in this case
>>
>>51891050
How difficult is it to get Excel and V Basic stuff running on Linux? I don't want to go to a job interview and have to explain what Libre Office is but I also don't want to dual boot.
>>
File: a.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>51895088
>as long as there is no amd graphics card involved
depends on which driver you're using

if you're fine with the free driver, it's zero-effort, and these days the free driver is quite solid/performant
>>
>>51895110
i've run excel up to 2007 in wine just fine, have not tested newer, nor v basic
worst case you can run them in a VM, they don't require graphics accelleration, so they'll run just fine
>>
Why is this bread so fucking stale?
>>
>>51894808
What do you mean?

Linux inherently doesn't have poor driver support, it's just that some manufacturers don't like to play a fair game.
There is little we can do to speed up that process, infact there is a lot of reverse engineered support in the kernel atm. so we already go beyond normal procedures to support devices.

And as for your statement about additional stuff, it's a basic misunderstanding of how drivers work in general. They are in two parts most cases, the other lives in the OS and the other is uploaded to the device once it powers on, that latter part is called firmware.
Normally the firmware code is highly obfuscated and encrypted, regardless of platform, so some distros don't distribute them by default and leave it to the user to install them. The driver part on the other hand is always in the kernel, as a module, and is usually foss, so the module can be distributed freely.
Though there are also some cases where the driver part is also a binary blob, so distributing it by default is also troublesome, like Nvidia for example.

For the latest device support you need to run the latest kernel, unless a distro backports drivers.

One good part of device support on Linux is that a lot of legacy stuff is still supported which other platforms have abandoned ages ago.
And because of that, Linux has one of the largest device support bases around if we look at absolute metrics. And all by default, no need to install anything extra.
>>
>>51895070
Curious, do you run calf eq as standalone or via some plugin host?
Based on your pic, it's standalone, but I though you need a host of some kind for LV2 plugins.
>>
Is it possible to shrink the main partition without losing data? I want to dual-boot.
>>
Hey guys,
I've got a little problem with my Debian server setup. I'm trying to achieve an SSO with Kerberos and LDAP, but I can't really get samba to authenticate trough it. I'm using samba as cifs, all my services are running on one server and I've got a debian and a win7 client.
How can I get samba to authenticate trough Kerberos?
PS: all happening in virtualbox
>>
Just installed infinality on my Ubuntu MATE and I thought it was placebo before. It's not.

Holy shit I am enjoying this so much. Dem clear, crisp fonts.
>>
Arch or Tails?
I want to use it on my laptop
>>
>>51895683
If you're asking, probably neither. Tails isn't for permanent installation.
>>
>>51895726
what about arch?
I want to use it for about 2 months until my desktop is ready again
>>
>>51895740
Well, if you're asking this question, Arch probably not the way to go. Just go Debian if you want a permanent solution.
>>
File: 1449756525744.jpg (375 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
1449756525744.jpg
375 KB, 3000x2116
>>51895740
>>
>>51895765
what about fedora?
>>
>>51895775
It's fine, I just don't like it's short llfe cycle between new releases and I prefer apt more than rpm. Pick what you like.
>>
>>51895172
good to hear..
long time ago since ive tried that^^
>>
>>51895822
Downloading Linux MINT cinnamon
>>
>>51895740
well for 2 months i would pick debian
you can set it up faster and there is not so much tweaking
i woudnt make a real deal and try to find a good distribution for only 2 mounts.
>>
C-Can I name my d-drives?
>>
File: 1420711922876.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1420711922876.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
How do you capture part of window content as in web page when you have to scroll?
Something like snagit.
I have encounter a lot of content that I want to screen capture it but because mostly it's in web pages and I have to scroll to get all of it.
>>
>tfw Linux is not POSIX-certified.
>tfw OS X is ahead of us.
JUST
>>
>>51895355
to be honest i set up just enough to make it work, and have not looked much further into it
the setup basically involves starting jack2 via qjackctl, then calfjackhost, which connects to jack on its own. i use the (previously pictured) patchbay provided by qjackctl to "hook things up"
pulse connects to jack with a (pulse) plugin

i do have to start qjackctl and calfjackhost on login, but i don't logout often, so it's not too much of a hassle, i'd look into some other solution if it were
>>
Is there a 4chan browser for Emacs? I'm curious to see if it actually exists.
>>
>>51896072
I have been thinking in creating a Hackintosh but it just seems trouble.
>>
I'm sorry but I've tried to find solutions but they dont werk.

I want to install a bdf font. I've downloaded the zip file, extracted it, moved the .bdf files to ~/.fonts, did fc-cache yet the font doesnt show up. Any help?
>>
Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it ... But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is "Linux". It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).
>>
>>51896200
what if the majority of the programs i use primarily rely on what linux provides, over what gnu provides?
>>
>>51896259
thing_that_you_cannot_do.jpg
>>
>>51896278
?
>>
>>51896300
Just call it anything you want. Nobody gives a fuck as long as you are getting things done.

I personally call it LiGNUx.
>>
>>51894535
generally you set stuff like wallpapers in the autostart for your wm, like openbox as autostart and i3 you just set it in the config at the end
>>
Did Firefox 43 break HTML5 video for anyone else?
>>
>>51896200
GNU is not a primary contributor. GNU is trash. GNU is shit.
>>
>>51895885
Linux "labels" your drive with UUID to prevent autism like this, anon.
>>
>>51893973
There is no correct name.
>>
how can i get more presets for infinality? like something to mimic osx font rendering
>>
>>51896589
you can use both labels and uuids at the same time, they're not exclusive

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="MikuroK-RAID" UUID="3079a436-f91a-4a94-a957-a12ed06b1f3a" UUID_SUB="fac87219-fdcb-49a1-98b8-c691cb278ed4" TYPE="btrfs" PARTLABEL="Linux filesystem" PARTUUID="548c4fb4-0fd5-4ed4-8609-93428558b313"
>>
File: 1446859516140.jpg (98 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1446859516140.jpg
98 KB, 960x720
>>51891050
>tfw >>> Emerging (1 of 118)
>>
>>51896573
Just think before what you are speaking, friend. :^)
>>
>>51896943
GNU's only contribution is Stallman-level autism, mate.
>>
Hey guys. Ubuntu user here, this morning I received an update for (among other things) grub loader, the update failed mid-config and window closed, now I'm to scared to reboot.

What do?
>>
>2015
>not being c.ucked by curryniggers
>>
>>51897172
like a quarter of my cs department is indian dudes and theyre all highly competent and well educated guys with lots of knowledge about their specific areas of research
>>
File: 1448967915704.png (11 KB, 294x64) Image search: [Google]
1448967915704.png
11 KB, 294x64
>>51897211
>indian
>highly competent
>well educated
>guys with lots of knowledge
>INDIAN
You gotta say that, vivek
>>
>>51897263
>one retard on youtube invalidates my entire argument
haha oh well might as kill myself
>>
File: tumblr_n5ug3dXe1R1skw6elo1_500.gif (1018 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5ug3dXe1R1skw6elo1_500.gif
1018 KB, 500x281
>>51897279
>one retard on youtube
>one
prajeet pls go
>>
>>51897211
>specific areas of research
that's the entire problem with them, they are highly trained in one specific field, as soon as they step out of this field even the tiniest bit they have no idea what to do. that's my experience with indian tech people.
>>
god fucking dammit, how i hate street shitters
>>
so, I just put the iso on a writeable disk and put it into the pc?
>>
>>51897211
>highly competent
KEK
>>
>>51897172
What DE is this?
>>
When I download youtube video with youtube-dl, I cannot see the actual video, but I can listen to audio.
Wat do?
>>
oh I found an old win 7 laptop.
how do I uninstall that shit
>>
>>51897670
Rub magnets over the hard drive.
>>
>>51897438
pretty much yes.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux#Installing_an_OS
>>
>>51897602
use other useflags?
>>
>>51897710
couldn't I do the format C: meme?
>>
>>51897730
Did you use youtube-dl recently?
>>
>>51897758
right now with mpv. what's the command you use?
>>
>>51897772
youtube-dl [link]
>>
>>51897772
try youtube-dl -F <link> to list your options
>>
>>51897808
meant for>>51897788
>>
>>51897808
Thanks. will see.
>>
>>51891050
Why is Cinnamon literally the only DE that doesn't look like shit, and is usable?
>>
>>51898107
Cinnamon is ugly tbqh familia
>>
is it possible to use the open amd drivers for opencl renders in cycles/blender?
>>
>>51896072
posix is shit
there's only linux
>>
>>51898107
XFCE is GOAT.
>>
File: image_1.gif (2 MB, 351x262) Image search: [Google]
image_1.gif
2 MB, 351x262
Hey all, just went balls deep with Lubuntu and wanted to rice it up. Any chance of somebody posting a screenshot? Thanks in advance
>>
>>51891356
I-nex
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-16_13-24-23.png (684 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-16_13-24-23.png
684 KB, 1600x900
>>51898970
Well, I'm running LXDE on Arch right now, here's a screenshot of what I have right now. It's pretty minimal really but I don't like it when my desktop looks "too busy".
>>
>>51899212
ugly
>>
>>51899268
Eh, I'm happy with it.

What would you consider "pretty"?
>>
>>51899212

I like it.

I have my desktop looking like NT 4.
>>
I've been working for ~2 years on Linux at my job.
Now I'm planning on using it as my main OS and wipe Windows from my laptop.
But still I can't decide between CentOS and Debian.

Any suggestion ?
>>
>>51899588
arch
>>
If i dual boot Linux on my Win7,should i give the linux partition full memory i want to use on it or i could just use the D: Partition from Linux
>>
>>51899588
Debian.
>>
>>51899588
If your choice is those 2, then Debian for sure.
Way bigger archive, faster release cycle, big community and rock solid.
Not that CentOS is bad, but it's more geared for production and is not that good for desktop use.
>>
I'm trying to run the GOG version of System Shock 2 through Wine and I'm failing miserably.

http://pastebin.com/SnbYDj8z

I realize that those error messages mean that I'm missing some library, but they're not exactly giving me a good clue as to what library I should try installing.

As for WineHQ, well, everyone else seems to run this thing fine.

Please send help
>>
>>51899588
debian testing. centOS is nice but only really good for servers.
>>
>>51899723
tried installing vcrun in winetricks?
>>
>>51899775
Yes. Not only the 2008 version, but also the 2010, 2012 and 2013 versions.
>>
>>51899723
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27660
>>
>>51899700
Dubs have spoken
>>51899704
K thx
>>51899750
Why Testing over Jessie ?
I'm more into stable stuff.
But if Testing mean better hardware management, I think I can do some compromises.
>>
Please stop recommending testing.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html#3.1
>>
>>51896474
>Firefox
its pretty fucked up for me
i cant watch videos without disabling media gmp thing from about:config
>>
>>51900119
testing is as as stable than vanilla ubuntu.
stable is for servers.
>>51900132
no i won't, i haven't run into any real issue yet and until i have i will keep recommending it.
>>
>>51900173
kinda messed up my sentence.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/debian-stable-or-debian-testing-which-linux-is-right-for-you/
>>
>>51897577
Cinnamon
>>
>>51900173
unstable is much preferred over testing for regular use
>>
File: output-file.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
output-file.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
help
>>
>>51900357
why? the delay causes broken packages to be fixed before reaching testing.
>>
>>51900370
right unless theres an unnoticed bug that shows itself once it's already hit testing and then youre waiting again to get the fix

even arch doesn't break by just updating packages and that's as bleeding edge as you can get, you're just gimping yourself with testing
>>
>>51900411
never had that happen, once it does i will switch to unstable. (or fix it)
>>
>>51900452
whatever, youre basically witholding the latest packages for the sake of 'stability' when nothing ever really gets that broken and if it does its fixed in a day or two
>>
anyone know how to make rhythmbox use nice ttf fonts for japaneese in arch? just how ubuntu does, it shows 1 pixel width fonts with no antialiasing or anything.
>>
>>51899212

What icons are those?
>>
>>51900894
literally says right there in screenfetch, ACYL
>>
>>51900907

Thank you for helping a blind Anon.
>>
I put the Linux mint cd in my laptop
when I start up, I get a black screen with an underscore in the top left corner
does that indicate installation progress?
>>
>>51900973
it means you got fuckin problems

does your laptop have a nvidia gpu? like an optimus thing with hybrid gpu/cpu graphics?
>>
>>51901000
No
Its an old ass HP Pavillon
Whats normal to show up?
>>
>>51901071
something that isnt a black screen + cursor
>>
hi /flt/, I'm in need of your help.

recently, i've installed Arch Linux on my old laptap (Pentium M 1.6GHz, 512MB RAM). it works really great, really smooth and nice.
I've started ricing it, to have at least the basic functionality. now, I have installed skype, and when I try to check the web camera in the settings, the whole system goes haywire.

what I see is, that after I click on the video settings, it starts to load the webcam's preview picture. then the booting process' screen starts, and in a second, I can see the login screen. basically I've been logged, it's like a mini-restart.

I've wanted to ask you, that maybe you've encountered this before, or is there something that is causing this problem? the webcam's driver has been downloaded & installed, it's a Syntek built-in Asus webcam.
>>
>>51901127
skype is shitty software. use qtox, it's more lightweight.
>>
>>51901159
thanks anon, I'll give qtox a try.
>>
Why don't I have an sda4 partition?
>>
>>51901232
And with who exactly will you use it? Does your family and friends use it?
Not to mention its giant not working piece of shit
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-16_22-43-04.png (19 KB, 441x185) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-16_22-43-04.png
19 KB, 441x185
Is it safe to temporarily move a (relatively) large file to somewhere that isn't /boot, update, and move said file back ?
Also I noticed I have 3 initrd files:
initrd.img-4.2.0-19-generic
initrd.img-4.2.0-18-generic
initrd.img-4.2.0-16-generic

Do I need all of them, or just the newest one ? Is it safe to delete *18* and *16* ?

Ubuntu 15.10 Xfce btw
>>
>>51901313
>its giant not working piece of shit
skype shill detected
qtox works fine for me and my family.
>>
how can i pipe commands like mpc current into tint2?

im trying to get it to work with execp in tint2rc but it aint doing shit
>>
Do you guys know of any free software for linux that just captures a picture from a connected webcam whenever it detects movement? Just as simple as that, doesn't need to do anything else.

I've found full-on surveillance software for Linux, but they have a lot of features that I don't need and aren't free.
>>
>>51901765
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzJKqDUsUqc
have you seen this video already?
>>
>>51891050
WHY CAN'T I EVER OPEN XKCD PICS FROM CLOVER, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!?
>>
So I got a new laptop that doesn't have an Ethernet port and I'm trying to install debian.

It can't find the drivers for my wifi card so it gives me a list of of drivers but Idk which one to pick.

What do?
>>
>>51902157
use the non-free iso
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/
>>
>>51902189
That's a lick. Appreciate it.
>>
>>51898970
does being that fat really make it that hard to right oneself from a 15 degree lean?
>>
>install linux on a shit Aspire E15
>lot of problems
>can't resolve it because WTF is this shit? Nobody have this beside me
>planetbase don't display numbers and mouse's wheel don't work
>management game without numbers...
Well, fuck the new tech. On my old computer ubuntu works just fine. I'm going to install windows
>>
Does anybody know how to configure Private Internet Access on debian?
>>
>>51901303
because many, if not all tools start numbering logical partitions from 5, to ensure primary partitions always get the first 4 numbers (msdos partitioning scheme only supports 4 partitions)
>>
Do I need pulseaudio? What is it for?
>>
>>51901341
you do only need the latest, though removing the old ones will break the grub boot menu options to boot into an older kernel
and there's likely a more proper means of removing them
>>
>>51901765
check out zoneminder
>>
>>51902650
while linux isn't the driver hell it used to be, it's still not a good idea to try mixing linux with super recent hardware
>>
Just net installed debian..

So what now?
>>
>>51902736
it's an audio mixer/router daemon

it runs inbetween programs and alsa (typically) and provides extra functionality over alsa, such as per-application volume control, seamless movement of streams between outputs/inputs, network transparency, plugins, etc
>>
Excuse me if it's a newfag question but where can I download a cracked windows (7 or 8) and install it from my linux? With a USB key or something else.
>>51902787
It's not even driver hell and I don't mind so much wine's problems but shit, the keyboard is randomly, at start, be normal or fucked up for no logical reason.
>>
File: kjLzyGk.png (119 KB, 1195x700) Image search: [Google]
kjLzyGk.png
119 KB, 1195x700
>>51902749
So the old ones are just there to be able to roll back to an earlier kernel in case something goes wrong, or I run into compatibility issues on a newer version, right ?
I'll just go ahead and remove the two earlier ones then, cause 4.2.0-19 hasn't brought me any issues at all.
>>
>>51902650
linux largely relies on drivers developed by hobbyists through reverse engineering, rather than from the device manufacturer like windows usually gets
so they can take a bit longer to become supported
basically, if your hardware is very new, you'll want to check beforehand if it's supported yet, if you plan on using it with linux
>>
>>51902852
>So the old ones are just there to be able to roll back to an earlier kernel in case something goes wrong, or I run into compatibility issues on a newer version, right ?
that's right
>>
>>51902803
um, I guess get the interwebs going if it's not already and install whatever you think you need for your daily driver machine.

>>51902833
grab an untouched windows iso from one of the mdl forum links, then activate either with daz loader or mstoolkit. any windows that is "cracked" or a black edition or shit like that is likely to be part of a botnet/just waiting for you to enter your banking info and shit
>>
>>51902859
>can take a bit longer to become supported
Actually I had to downgrade because 15.04 is even worst. I'm running on ubuntu 12.04 and it works better.
Is there any linux better for an acer aspire E15? Newfag-friendly of course.
>>51902875
mdl = my digital life? I found that on google.
>>
>>51902943
ya, mydigitallife, I forget the proper address for the forums and have to google it every time I go there, which isn't really often enough to bookmark it
>>
>>51902871
Great, thanks.
Removed 4.2.0-16 and 4.2.0-18 files and update went fine. Now on 4.2.0-21, whoo
>>
File: 07.jpg (88 KB, 890x720) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
88 KB, 890x720
>>51902971
Links are dead
>>
>>51903120
if links are dead usually you can go to the last page of the thread and there's either working links or a link to a thread with working links
>>
>>51902943
Assuming you meant 14.04 as 15.04 doesn't exist, have you tried 15.10 ?
>>
>>51903446
>15.04 doesn't exist
It exists, dude.
>>
Hello /flt/

I just installed mint with cinnamon and I've got two questions.

1) Is there any way to use GNOME with Mint? I first installed Debian but it hit me over the head pretty hard while I was trying to use it, still I prefer GNOME to Cinnamon. It looks way nicer than Cinnamon.

2) How do I use a .run file? I'm trying to install teamspeak but I'm not entirely sure how to do it.
>>
>>51904863
1. Use Ubuntu GNOME, Mint is shit.
2. https://askubuntu.com/questions/602091/teamspeak-3-on-ubuntu
>>
>>51904925
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
>>
File: Help.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
Help.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
PLEASE HELP ANONS!
I'm running Linux Mint, and I accidentally deleted the entire panel at the bottom of the screen. The start menu, the clock, and everything in between are gone, including the Linux Mint menu.
I can open the terminal with ctrl alt T, but can't right-click on the background. Also, i can't connect to WiFi so im using the cellphone.
>>
>>51905217
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>51905228
Yes, but nothing changed.
>>
Hello /flt/, so I'm trying to install wicd since nm-applet doesn't work with openbox. I'm having trouble because most of he stuff that is required to install wicd is not available in package manager and so each dependency has even more dependencies that are not installed!

Could I please get some help with the installation?
>>
>>51905476
>nm-applet doesn't work with openbox
u wot m8

Everything you just wrote made no sense. If dependencies cannot be satisfied then there shouldn't be a package for what you're trying to install, that's kind of the whole point of package managers. Explain in more detail.
>>
>>51905476
wicd is pretty much dead.
>>
Why doesn't linux just work?
>>
>>51905498
nm-applet will give me an error whenever I try to delete or add a new connection stating "Insufficient privileges". I tried googling the error apparently many people that have it end up just switching to wicd.

wicd itself is not available in the package manager so I went to the website for it and it requires dependencies that are neither on the package manager.
>>
>>51905549
It's you that doesn't work.
>>
>>51905519
Which alternative would you suggest?
>>
Im >>51905217
I created a new user using the terminal, and the panel works fine. Can i have acess to the files of other account from here?
>>
>>51905562
That's nothing to do with openbox. It can be a problem when using a dedicated WM rather than a DE but it can be overcome. Keep searching.

There's a good reason it's not available in the package manager. If you go outside the package manager then you can expect exactly what you've experienced.
>>
>>51905574
wpa_supplicant.
Or networkmanager.
>>
>>51905564
Hah, openSUSE that is supposed to be an easy to use distro is still giving me some problems.
>>
>>51905574
D H C P C D
H
C
P
C
D
>>
>>51905623
cool story
>>
File: no_hope.gif (48 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
no_hope.gif
48 KB, 356x200
>>51891050
Off general topic, but a true story regarding the contents of that comic

>having issue
>google for solutions
>not too many relevant posts
>FIND ONE! Somebody with the same problem!
>read thread
>no solutions
>thread is 5 years old and closed
>looks at username of person who started the thread
>my username...
>>
>>51905630
Don't you think understand what that is sonny jim
>>
>>51905593
There's like a dozen different solutions and many people have tried many. I gave up after trying one that did not work for me. Seemed easier to just install wicd which I guess now it wasn't
>>
>>51905643
hes suggesting to not use a network manager of any kind and hand write your configurations
>>
>>51905657
>seemed easier to install something not in your package manager
ok anon
>>
>>51905623
Audio codecs did not come installed.

Time is off around 8 hours when go to fix it manually nothing happens.

Still with broken clock (have to rely on tablet or posts on g for correct time)

: /
>mfw
>>
>>51905687
learn how to fix it then
>>
>>51905672
>ok anon
isnt this supposed to be friendly?
>>
>>51905707
Yes, I could have said
>you're a fucking moron who shouldn't be exposed to your own computer how many fucking braincells does it take to install things from your package manager and how stupid do you have to be to come here to complain about dependencies when you manually install a dead piece of software because you think it's easier than using your package manager.

If you want a hug go to reddit.
>>
>>51905700
ok then, but you cannot say it just works then
>>
>>51905730
For most it does. For most windows works, for some it doesn't as well. Welcome to computers anon.
>>
>>51905729
>Yes, I could have said

You just did!

Again, wicd is not available in my package manager.
>>
is it possible to ssh into a computer i own thats connected to my university's network?
>>
>>51905761
>>You just did!
yes, because you thought I was being unfriendly
>Again, wicd is not available in my package manager.
exactly, why do you think that might be?
>>
>>51905773
most likely
>>
>>51905793
assuming my uni has port 22 forwarded? i assume they do but i havent tried yet
>>
>>51905623
>using a RPM-based distro
Your fault.
>>
Have you donated to any free software developers?

I just made my second donation to the Linux Mint devs and my first donation to the Debian project.
>>
>>51905841
>Have you donated to any free software developers?
yes thanks
>>
>>51905841
>donating to Linux Mint and Debian
>not just donating to Debian, which is the mother of Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and all these other distros
>>
>>51905841
>donating to mint devs
like throwing money in a fire
>>
>>51905829
>Your fault.
My fault for falling victim to false advertising/misleading claims. Ok, then.
>>
>>51905815
not required, nor possible (in the practical sense)
they may have 22 forwarded, but not to YOUR computer

try a reverse ssh connection
>>
>>51905884
no one owes you anything.
>>
is there a rough estimate on when wayland will become stable enough to be the default in distros like arch?
>>
What good themes do you use on Lubuntu?
>>
>>51905934
i didnt think people still use lxde

but it uses gtk or something right? then just get numix or arc
>>
File: Pulseaudio-diagram.png (2 MB, 8203x10000) Image search: [Google]
Pulseaudio-diagram.png
2 MB, 8203x10000
>>51891050
Why does PulseAudio exist?
Who needs network audio capabilities and why does it come with almost every linux distribution?
What does it do, that ALSA cannot that so many applications seem to need?
>>
>>51905991
same reason we all "need" systemd
>>
>>51906004
But why do people adopt these systems then?
>>
>>51905991
i use it because it just werks

>boot into fresh arch install
>no sound wtf
>install pulseaudio
>restart
>sound

ez pz
>>
>>51905991
Because ALSA can't do per-app volume.
>>
>>51906021
because once it gets pushed upstream and devs start using it as a standard then it's hard to avoid it. Same reason most binary programs for linux right now use libav rather than ffmpeg.
>>
>>51906045
this makes sense - any particular reason ALSA doesn't support it?
>>
How can I get "good" at using Linux?

Do I just need to keep using it day to day and learn little by little?
>>
>>51906198
Yes
>>
>>51906198
the same way you get good at anything
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.