[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know Open Office/Libre Office are memes but are that much better
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
I know Open Office/Libre Office are memes but are that much better than running Office 2000?
>>
*they
>>
>>51887304
What is your situation, why are you faced with possibly using Office 2000?
>>
No, office 2000 is still more feature complete than libreshitoffice
>>
File: IMG_66385124989.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
IMG_66385124989.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>51887304

I never came across anything that even even Office 95 couldn't handle.

Is there anything people use on these office suites that requires it to be a specific version of microsoft office?
>>
>>51889419
Well you need Office 2007 and up to open Office XML docx, xlsx, pptx etc. files. Also for fancier formatting options like Conditional Formatting in excel.

Office 2007 is pretty much feature complete enough to still be the best usable version, you don't need anything past that 99% of the time.
>>
>>51889579
>Well you need Office 2007 and up to open Office XML docx, xlsx, pptx etc. files

Yeah but that is simply a different format of the file itself.

> Also for fancier formatting options like Conditional Formatting in excel.

i need to look that up because i dont have a fucking clue what that is.

> Office 2007 is pretty much feature complete enough to still be the best usable version, you don't need anything past that 99% of the time.

Fuck.. that's what I don't understand... what do you mean when you say its feature complete? Is it because can open the "standard" files? Suppose all I do is write documents and I need a word processor, and that is probably most of what everyone out there needs to do but they buy microsoft office anyway, what is it that my documents will lack compared to the very latest version. Fonts? Overall look? Formatting styles that are new and make it look fresher?

is there a limit on characters or pages or file sizes on the old versions or something?
>>
File: 2ConFormatRulesDB3.gif (22 KB, 549x300) Image search: [Google]
2ConFormatRulesDB3.gif
22 KB, 549x300
>>51889579
> conditional formating
So basically you can change the format of the cell contents with something like the =IF rule? Wasn't that available on Office 97 or 2000?
>>
>>51889579

All you need to do is install Microsoft's File Format Converter to get .docx, .xlsx and whatnot under Office 2000. I use Office 2003 with it and have no problems with these file types when I get them from my clients.
>>
>>51889664
I won't go list everything different, but on modern systems, and with any real business, you're going to be really limited by excel 2000.

You have a 65k row/column limit, struggle with large files, and miss a lot of the nice VBA improvements and performance improvements from later versions. It's also very helpful to be able to feed so many file and data types to newer versions of excel and just have them fly with it.
>>
>>51889821

I'm not trying to quiz you to death here dude, I know the kind of files you're talking about I have seen them in call centers, and they were usually made by someone who had nothing to do with whoever edited them.
, sounds like you would have overgrown the need for any office suite and actually need a dedicated system to deal with that
Wouldn't things like that be better handled with a different platform? If you have the need for the kind of improvements you're talking about at that point its time to call ibm or someone who provides enterprise solutions to the problem at hand?
>>
>>51889897

Not >>51889821 but this

>sounds like you would have overgrown the need for any office suite and actually need a dedicated system to deal with that

Couldn't be further from the truth

There are plenty of options (SOLVER, Jesus Christ Solver) that are available on 2007+ that aren't available on prior versions.

Not to mention AbleBits, KuTools plugins that make data manipulation a piece of cake.

I would want to shoot myself in the foot if I had to use an older version again
>>
I have used LibreOffice for a couple years. I've never really had an issue with it, but it can be difficult to transition between LibreOffice and Microsoft Office to perform the same tasks (in case I need to show someone how to do something; they're not likely to use LibreOffice). Most people get frustrated easily and aren't willing to commit to a change, but it's actually quite intuitive and simple. Many of the people in this thread are talking about conditional formatting, opening certain file types, and design. LibreOffice's interface can be customized and can work with all of the afore-mentioned file types; it's not necessary to use a Microsoft product to do them. I don't really mind Microsoft Office, but I got sick of paying for it when a reasonable, free alternative is available and always getting better.
>>
>>51890002
>libreoffice can be customized
If it's not prefect by default then it's useless to normies. The Chinese botnet Kingsoft Office blows it out of the water.
>>
>>51889419

Meanwhile, LO reads each one of these, imports it into .od*, and doesn't ruin anything, for free. And I hear every ms office fag say the same shit, "You pay for it because you ensure it works together, it is a tool".

I assume the reason why the average ms office faggot does this shit is because if they get the document's text, they have so little reading comprehension that they legit would not be able to figure out which paragraphs would be first, because they're just a little fucked up. In fact, I scrambled the order of these paragraphs, let's see if you can put them into context! Then lie about what you use.

Yes, I definitely remember even basic two column layouts would not work between 95 and 97. And again from 97 to 2000. These didn't have anything inside them besides plain text. So imagine how support for the rest of the featureset would be.
>>
>>51887304
I've noticed that LibreOffice has a few edges over using 2K/97, particularly the fact that you can have more than three conditional format rules in spreadsheets now.

Other than that though, the UI is pretty much the same really.

>>51889419
Other than the aforementioned conditional formatting, I personally like the ribbon interface more than modular but bulky and wasteful classic interface. Not to mention the XML format.
>>
>>51891223
>Meanwhile, LO reads each one of these, imports it into .od*, and doesn't ruin anything, for free.
If you keep saying it maybe one day it will be true.
>>
>>51891223
I can't even read simple MS Office documents properly with LO, it totally erases all formatting.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.