[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Surface Pro 4 the best thing a student can buy? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: surfacepro4.png (494 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
surfacepro4.png
494 KB, 1024x576
Is the Surface Pro 4 the best thing a student can buy? Is it good enough to use as an all-in-one solution for note-taking and productivity?
>>
Yes. Though you could probably get away with a Surface Pro 3 for cheaper
>>
No you fucking retard
>>
>>51884381
Explain yourself, please.
>>
>>51884433
The surface will be EOL in 1-2 years even though it is really expensive
Getting a cheaper laptop would usually be a better decision
>>
>>51884553
with that logic buying anything expensive is a waste
>>
>>51884844
But why waste money when you could get something that is better on any field for less
>>
>>51884869
no
>>
>>51884359
Is best defined as overpriced low performance bad hardware packed into a small space? If so then yes.
>>
>>51884914
but you can do everything on it that a college student would have to do, no?
>>
No. Use a pen and notebook for fuck sake. A Surface isn't going to help you at all, you're just going "I'm going to be so more productive" as an excuse to waste money on a gimmick laptop. It's just as bad as the macfags buying a $1,200 laptop and go "It's an investment!!" Speaking from personal experience, of course.
>>
>>51884844
It's when you're likely just going to be note taking and Facebook browsing. If you had a job where workstation were needed then higher price would be expected.

High priced Facebook machines are just a scam for idiots.
>>
>notebook and pencil/pen
>TI Nspire
everything you could possible need for note taking.
>>
>>51884929
You can do that on a cheap laptop as well
>>
>>51884359
Pen and paper is all you need for taking notes you stupid faggot
>>
>>51884929
Sure, but the same can be said for something half the price, but hey if you want to be the average consumer then go ahead and blow that money away.
>>
More importantly is it a decent tablet I can sort of do whatever I like on? Or does it lean too much toward laptop?
>>
>>51884970
>pen
>not automatic pencil
spotted the C student
>>
not worth it all. you would be better off getting a macbook than that for something like school.

you would be even better off getting something like an x220 and just using an external monitor when not in a classroom.

how come so many of these garbage surface threads always mention 'for a student' in the OP?
>>
>>51885182
>you would be better off getting a macbook
aaand disregarded
>>
>>51884359

Yes.
> iPad: Muh proprietary software, muh Apple premium
> Chromebook: Cheap but shitty software
> Galaxy Tablet: Not robust enough
>>
>>51885218
aaand fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>51885382
>actually recommends apple products
>telling other people to go back to reddit
lmao you're good anon
>>
>>51884359
>note-taking and productivity
Things you can do on a laptop from 1995 you can find in your apartment's dustbin
>>
Spring for a macbook and a nexus tablet if you want to spend that much.

For the lowest price, I would suggest getting a nexus 9 and keyboard.
>>
>>51884359
>Is the Surface Pro 4 the best thing a student can buy?
Microsoft has actually issued an apology due to how poor the experience has been for Surface Pro 4 / Surface Book owners.
>>
>>51885783
Holy fuck, you aren't kidding.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/mobile-computing/tablets/microsoft-apologises-over-surface-book-and-surface-pro-4-flaws-1311096
>>
Get a surfacebook off Ebay.

As a student you will appreciate better performance + battery + a keyboard for writing all those papers and just almost anything on a computer.
>>
save several hundred dollars and buy an acer cb3 or c720
>>
>>51885883
not everyone is a cuck
>>
>>51885110
You see anon, if you use pen you are too afraid of make mistake to need eraser.
>>
File: 1449373225613.jpg (11 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
1449373225613.jpg
11 KB, 235x235
>>51886150
>muh i don't make mistakes le maymay
m8 fucking pls
>>
>>51884359

No

I don't think people fully appreciate how bad the keyboards on these really are.

Go and use one: the keyboard flexes like an underage Chinese Olympic gymnast. Makes it a terrible experience
>>
>>51885835
Kind of surprised people use the Hello thing.
Anyways, mostly sounds like they just need some bug fixing rather than the weird attempt at making the iPad Pro a laptop replacement? without a proper OS.
>>
>>51886026
>buying a linux machine over an overprices windows ipad
>being a cuck

ok
>>
>>51884359
Why would a student spend $2699 for a fucking laptop. Go on eBay and be a fucking poorfag like you are
>>
>>51886329
>literally paying to be spied on
good goy
>>
>>51886351
Same thing with windows.

Id rather be part of googles botnet than microsofts. At least google makes a good stable product and its free
>>
>>51885835
You realize that article paints Microsoft in a good light, one of a company that is listening to the consumers and fixing the problems. It also says short of the battery, the Surface pro can replace a laptop. starting at 899.
>>
The Surface line is tailor-made for executives and business C-levels that need something ultraportable, functional, and "techy" enough that they can pretend to be more important than they actually are.

The hardware (on the 3s, anyway) isn't bad at all and they're a solid performer, but it's hard to justify that cost. If you're a college student buy a T series Thinkpad on the cheap, that's all you really need.
>>
>>51886389
>thinkpad
you mean an elitebook but alright
>>
>>51886410

I mean a Thinkpad since that's what I have experience with. Elitebooks might be great but I've never used one, but I've used shitloads of business-grade IBM/Lenovo stuff. They've never let me down (other than that bullshit with the on-mobo shillware, what the fuck Lenovo).
>>
>>51886340
Cause his mom's paying for it
>>
>>51884844
Buying anything expensive in the tech industry is almost always a waste for a majority of people.
>>
>ITT: people who have never used a Surface for any extended period if time outside of Best Buy
>>
We have a lot of Surface Pro 3s at work and I can tell you that the keyboard is dogshit. I really can't stand it.
>>
>>51886534
Good thing you aren't typing notes in class
>>
>>51884359
>>51884367
or just buy a pen and papers you fucking retards
>>
>>51886563
Pen and paper can't record the lecture and sync it with what I wrote in real time.
It also doesn't let me search a term that my prof mentioned and find that bit of the recording for me
>>
>>51886546

It's like people are desperate over having to actually write with a real implement. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>51886586

Lol, people can't study anymore I guess. They need gadgets to take all the work out of paying attention.

Don't a lot of colleges provide recordings of lectures anyway? Or a Powerpoint of the covered material at a minimum?
>>
>not being at a university that provides all coursework for free
>>
>>51886608
Keep living in the 80s
>>
>>51886642

You mean that period of time where people actually knew how to do shit without consulting Google and didn't have apps that remove any chance of a neuron firing?

What a horrible era.
>>
I have the SP3 and I like it, but I also use it as a casual drawing tablet. You can go much cheaper if you just want to do basic browsing and word processing.

The SP3 keyboard is pretty bad next to a good desktop keyboard, but I think it's decent for what it is, considering that it's supposed to double as a thin dust cover for the tablet.
>>
>>51886661
>people knew how to do shit
Stop romaticizing and Era you were never alive in. There were plenty of retards back then too
>>
>i have adhd tendencies and can't be trusted with a computer or i'll just goof off, and that means everyone else is like that too

imagine if you had to work transcription
>>
>>51886673

Of course there were retards, the difference between then and now is that back then they died off or "didn't make it." Now any time there's an individual deficiency we have to overcome it "with the power of technology."

If you can't get through a class without having the entire lecture digitized for you you're just going to be a drain on whatever workplace you enter.

Either that or you'll get into management.
>>
>>51886661
>le wrong generation
kill yourself
>>
>>51886717
Wow you're a retard or a hipster. Same thing, really
>>
It runs Windows, it's automatically useless.
>>
>>51886928
>mobile cucks actually believe this
>>
>>51884359
I have the 256gb, 8gb, i5 model. My job involves about 90% travel and it is an absolute godsend.
I would absolutely not recommend this for a student though.
>>
File: dsc04391.jpg (69 KB, 619x411) Image search: [Google]
dsc04391.jpg
69 KB, 619x411
>>51884359
These two-in-one hybrid things need to die.

Just get a Macbook for school. They're low maintenance, they'll do everything you need them to do, and you won't have to reformat and reinstall windows every time you jerk off.
>>
>>51887209
Why do so many of you faggots actually recommend macbooks? They're the biggest pieces of shit in the universe regarding build quality and are overpriced regarding performance. The operating system doesn't matter because you can hackintosh. there is literally no fucking point. buy a dell XPS or something and stop recommending shit-tier garbage.
>>
>>51884359
POO IN THE LOO
>>
>>51887272
>Hackintosh
The hobby OS? It's unreliable.

>Build Quality; OS

My 13' MBP is still kicking it just as reliably as it did the day I bought it. I can't say the same about the thinkpad or asus I've owned since then.

Have you seen what kind of damage normies can do to laptops? Have you seen what windows looks like after six months in the hands of your average 20something college student?

The XPS is fine and dandy as long as you can keep a clean windows install or if you're willing to use linux. 90% of college students can reliably do neither of those things.
>>
>>51887209
Macbook won't let me sketch and write notes

>>51887406
I think you might just be a retard
>>
>>51887461
>Macbook won't let me sketch and write notes

Sounds like you need a pencil and some paper.

>I think you might just be a retard

Ad hom is the best way to admit that someone else is right.
>>
>>51887532
>>51887209
>just use a pencil and some paper
>recommends a fucking Macbook for basic college shit
>>
>>51886717
This man is right.

>>51886835
This man is a pompous faggot with an over-inflated ego and cognitive dissonance.
>>
File: 2560p.jpg (332 KB, 1600x1480) Image search: [Google]
2560p.jpg
332 KB, 1600x1480
>>51887209
my $154 elitebook 2560p is as powerful as your $1300 macbook and I can actually fix/upgrade it. gg macfag
>>
>>51887733
>>51886717
>>51886661
born in da wrong generation
>>
Those massive bezels are disgusting.
>>
File: 1384761194181.png (10 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1384761194181.png
10 KB, 645x773
Anyone have a cheap tablet that uses a stylus for note taking? That's the one thing I would like to have for college, since I already have my Evernote stuff from highschool and its really helpful.
>>
I bought a x220 for $250 with no OS and installed Linux Mint on it. It's just as powerful as the midrange surface pro and I can use it to take notes just like I would with the surface. Battery life kinda sucks and it's heavy, but since it replaces all of my notebooks and books it's pretty much all I carry to class.

So no in terms of utility for the price the surface is not the best choice.
>>
I want a surface pro 4 but it's too damn expensive. What other laptop/tablet hybrids will do the same stuff as a surface pro 4 for cheaper?
>>
>>51887858
More like you clicked on the wrong thread to talk shit on, pal!
>>
>>51888309
>battery life doesn't count as utility
>weight doesn't count as utility
>a screen that doesn't look like shit doesn't count as utility
>>
>>51888309
>Poorfags trying to justify their shitty purchases
>>
>>51888480
>can't talk about Surfaces in a thread about Surfaces

I hate this board
>>
>>51888480
kill yourself
>>
>>51884359
>student
>over 1000 neetbucks
>>
I have a surface 3 I got on black Friday and I'm loving it so far. I keep all my textbooks on it, take all my notes on it, read all the documents my profs email me on it, and can quickly search anything during lecture if need be. Its really great.

If never buy a pro as a student though. That's stupid. I think the pro line is more aimed at businesses and the regular line is for students.
>>
File: 1399319148700.jpg (1 MB, 2816x1880) Image search: [Google]
1399319148700.jpg
1 MB, 2816x1880
Try a venue 11 pro
>>
>>51884359
Yes, the school and it's all good for business in the solution is 4. Surface Pro. You play the game with great speed and simplify simple task can use the power of touch. Built-in webcam, communication is easy and fun. The Cortana natural search and shop windows with revolutionary features like the Windows 10 combines the power of an Intel Core i5 processor. You'll love the Surface Pro 4, I guarantee it
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.