[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is illegal to share the video game I paid for and downloaded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (18 KB, 481x305) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18 KB, 481x305
Why is illegal to share the video game I paid for and downloaded to my computer.

I mean I paid for it, I never get fined for sharing my car with my best friend.

This is just ridiculous.

Please comment.
>>
>>51883999
You bought a license, not the game
>>
>>51883999
you are a faggot and an idiot
>>
>>51883999
Your friend needs also to have a license, for driving. It is illegal if he doesn't have one.
I can give you my game DVD too, but not the key to activate it.
>>
This is the reason why I don't install proprietary games that do not respect my freedoms.
>>
>>51884018
So the game it's not mine and it can be taken away from me?
>>
>>51884121

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We can permanently deactivate your account for you, remove any stored payment information and clear your Steam games profile.

Disabling your account will not result in a refund, as explained in the Steam Subscriber Agreement.

The games in your account will not be accessible for future use. It is impossible to make your games available once your account has been deactivated and your information deleted or archived. Once we have permanently deactivated the account, we will not be able to reactivate the account upon a future request.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/im-longer-buying-games-steam-opinion/

If you don't wanna click the link, try searching for "steam, do I own the game" and you get like million results. It is not just steam, everyone does this nowadays. Only thing to be secure is buy a console/pc, never connect to the internet, buy only games that don't need to be activated over internet.
>>
>>51883999
maybe you should have read the license agreement before installing the game
>>
>>51883999
You bought a license to own the game not the actual game. Read the games EULA for more info.
>>
>>51884121
That's correct. Welcome to copyright law and buying licenses to install software.
>>
>>51884060
This.
>>
>>51884121
>>51884243
>>51884865
Hasn't Apple been doing this shit with iTunes since forever?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2197248
also
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/sep/03/do-you-own-your-digital-content
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/05/digital-media-licensed-not-owned
>>
>>51884849
But anon! EULAs are generally rife with obfuscating language, unintended to be read by the end user, and rarely hold up in court.
>>
The unwashed masses have proven they cannot be trusted and have to be treated as children.
>>
>>51886598
Oh in that case, I'll just freely copy the game in front of the copyright owners and they'll have no cause to bring me to a lawsuit and expect to win.
>>
>>51883999
get a job
>>
>>51886682
...is what record execs will have to do.
>>
File: 887845616401.jpg (111 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
887845616401.jpg
111 KB, 360x360
>>51886738
err.. in this case, game developers?
>>
>>51886598
>implying i have money to hire an attorney
>>
>>51884060
Enjoy tux racer for the umpteenth decade, neckbeard
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.