[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Not running slackware >Not pretending its the late 90's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: SWtuxgnu.png (361 KB, 342x359) Image search: [Google]
SWtuxgnu.png
361 KB, 342x359
>Not running slackware
>Not pretending its the late 90's
>>
>>51882837
Whats so great about slackware compared to gentoo/LFS?
>>
>>51882851
It require more autism
>>
It's the sanest distro and will save the Linux world, soon.
When Poettering conquered all.
When pacman ate the final configuration.
When Canonical put spyware into everything.
When Gentoo compiled for the final day.
When Debian freezes forever.

Slackware will be there. As it always has been.
Obedient, stable, powerful, fast.
No bullshit.
No political agenda.
No chasing of fads that lead nowhere.
Longest experience in the Linux world.
Weathered the time with such a tiny team and almost nonexistent budget.
No branding, keeps software as it was intended, no xXxSephirothXxXHackeRxXxVegeta distro flavored patches.

Just clean old fun.
Always and forever.
Slackware.
>>
>>51882892
>Automatic installer
>more autism
epic dude!
>>
File: Deprecated.png (3 KB, 297x53) Image search: [Google]
Deprecated.png
3 KB, 297x53
Let's party like it's 1999 with all of the binaries of 1999
>>
>>51883831
I literally, unironically love this meme
>>
>>51882892
How can something being more autistic be seen as a positive trait?

Do you pick which toilet to use based on which one looks to have the most shit residue around the bowl?
>>
>>51883704

This. A thousand times this. Spent years wondering what my problem was with Windows...shit getting moved around in Control Panel, fundamentals just never clicked because it wasn't shown in a crappy little GUI somewhere. Things changing every major version number, so software salesmen can justify themselves.

So starting Linux back in 2006 on Slackware, it felt like a breath of fresh air. After messing around with *buntus for years, Slackware is my distro of choice at work and at home. It's still the one distro where I just feel like I have the best "feel" for what's going on under the hood.

Upsides...
- Minimal services running by default
- Forces you to do some basic low level stuff, which consequently...
- Gives you the tools to bail your ass out of numerous situations
- No systemd
- "Vanilla" linux distro...you feel like you're learning linux, rather than learning Debian, Red Hat, etc.
- It just feels sturdy as hell
- Installing packages is caveman simple
- You have to track down package dependencies by hand

Downsides...
- You have to track down package dependencies by hand

>see the electricsheep.org screensaver. "holy shit, that's awesome!"
>go to install, no slackbuild package for it. will have to compile from source and make my own.
>"no problem, I got this." see list of dependencies a mile long.
>"on second thought, fuckit."
>>
>>51883704
underrated post
>>
Go to bed grandpa
>>
Every decade insists it's the best, because you lie to yours-
GOD DAMN IT. I fell for it again.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.