[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you download illegal content ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: piracy.jpg (32 KB, 670x451) Image search: [Google]
piracy.jpg
32 KB, 670x451
Hey /g/
I have to write a report about piracy. And I would like to ask you guys a few questions. It would be great if I could get a few responses.

1) -Why do you download illegal software,music,movies...?
2) -How often do you downlaod illegal software,music,movies...?
3) -Do you also crack software and publish it ?
4) -Did you ever get a fine for downloading/uploading piracy content ?
5) -When did you start getting interested in it ?

Thank you!
>>
nice honeypot thread
>>
>>51882660
There is no such thing as ilegal content.
There is however content shared against the consent of one or both parties of a purchace.
>>
OP is NSA
>>
>>51882660
Sure no prb friend. Most of us get our stuff at https://youedgelord.net. The best stuff is always there.
>>
>>51882802

I thought the FBEDGE took it down?
>>
>>51882741
Yeah my bad. That what I meant but had to translate it.
>>
>>51882660
1. I'm poor as fuck. I've got Netflix and all, just that there's some shit on there I can't find.
2. Alldayerrday
3. Once or twice
4. No
5. At 8 years old when I saw my cousin getting free movies.
>>
>>51882840
They did, but then edgelord moved it's entire operation offshore.
>>
>>51882852
Nice thank you, May I ask in which country you live ?
>>
>>51882770
yeah...I'm NSA...straight outta Germany
>>
>>51882660
Back when I started I didn't have money for Photoshop, and its easier than putting card info in

At least once a week sometimes more

No I only get precrack/DL with cracker

Nope and don't intend to

Around 2005 with limewire
>>
>>51882660
1: because im a poorfag and there is no way i can buy legal stuff in this shitty 3rd word country.
2: atmost everyday.
3: no.
4: no, no one cares in this country.
5: more than 10 years ago.
>>
If I had the option to subscribe to TV networks like Netflix or Hulu that joined those platforms or made their own (Viacom making a VCom like Netflix that hosted MTV, VH1, etc channels) platform with a similar pricing method that Netflix uses, I would be more willing to pay for the content. As it stands, 1 show per network/platform is not enough justification to warrant cable subscriptions to big cable companies.
Maybe if the cable companies learned from Steam or Netflix, they wouldn't be in a pickle.
>>
>>51882928
>>51882925

Thank you very much!
>>
>>51883022
I'm exactly this as well. Was thinking about streaming with sling but they're missing networks as well. In the meantime I'm Netflix, huluing. Everything else is torrent. A few movies that are even on those streams because torrents can be much higher quality. I buy games for the most part on sale. Something like fallout I'll torrent because I'm almost certain to play it for only a couple of hours. If I end up liking it I'll buy it around $30 on sale or on the grey market
>>
>>51882660
>making the population of /g/ your sample size
>>
1) To spite the recording/film/game/publishing/tv/software industries
2) All the time, I also constantly upload it
3) All the time, I run the largest warez topsite in the world too currently
4) No, if the NSA/CIA/FBI/Interpol/GHCQ/MI5 can't find me then there's no way the above parties could
5) Shortly after Usenet's inception, my group has cracked pretty much every large-profile piece of software and DRM technologies for the last 30 years
>>
>illegal content

I take issue with the use of the word illegal.
>>
I only download content that's shared with over the Internet.
I download stiff once a week
You mean modify a product that I bought and own? If so yes, then I share it.
Fine for what?
>>
>>51883278
I find it hilarious so I'll bite.

1) Because it's there and it's a great way to see if the product is worth it. Also, sharing is caring.
On another note, I'll be laughing when #D printers become affordable and good enough to print whatever the fuck I want.
>you wouldn't download a car
I would.
>m-muh design, y-you c-can't do that
I will.
3) No.
4) No.
5) Before I even touched a computer.
>>
>>51883470
>>51883522
>>51883555
Thank you guys !
>>
>>51883475

Yeah thats my bad. I translated it wrong. But I think you get the idea of it.
>>
1. I am poor and it's convenient
2. Several times per month
3. No
4. No
5. 1998
>>
>>51882660
paying money for 1's and 0's is whats illegal
>>
>>51883555
I missed 2) for some reason. Maybe it's because it's something I do everyday that I forgot to mention it.
>>
Sony Vegas is 600 bucks.

Adobe software is 40 bucks a month.

Need I say more? someone who just wants to make shitty internet videos shouldn't have to deal with that.
>>

Many of the content ends up being worthless shit I wasted the little bit of time I have on

Maybe one day a game comes out and I download it. That happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Windows and adobe products.

Never ever

Early 2000s when every teenager around the block had a modded PS1 and downloaded songs off internet.
>>
>>51882852
>>51882874
Also phone number, address and where you work if possible.

Thanks.
>>
>>51882660
>downloading
>not having content uploaded to you
>>
>>51883817
Paying money for a certain arrangement of atoms is what's illegal.
>>
>>51882660
Because copyright law is a twisted deranged mess being used by the rich and powerful for purposes far removed from the philosophy that created it.
>>
>because lazy, poor, or not easily available
>software never, music once and a while, movies extremely rarely, anime often
>no
>no
>over 10 years ago
>>
>>51882660
>1) -Why do you download illegal software,music,movies...?

Money is the most obvious reason, but an equally important one is the fact that many entertainment products these days are not even sold in a format that I prefer (such as, in case of games: physical release with no DRM or online dependency). I do not consider versions I think are "gimped" worth any amount of money. Thus anti-piracy measures actually incentivize me to pirate more.

>2) -How often do you downlaod illegal software,music,movies...?

I don't keep count.

>3) -Do you also crack software and publish it ?

No, that sort of thing requires considerable technical expertise.

>4) -Did you ever get a fine for downloading/uploading piracy content ?

Never. I think I got a cease-and-desist order once, but that was it.

>5) -When did you start getting interested in it ?

"Interested"? Odd choice of words. It's not an interest anymore than breathing air or drinking water is. It's just something you do to get something else that you want. It has no value in itself.
>>
>>51882874
Australia

>>51883850
AOCC Client Liaison Team
GPO Box 401
Canberra ACT 2601
>>
>>51882895
Go home BND
>>
>>51882660
Because it's the fastest, cheapest way to get the content I want.
It probably averages out to 1 album every month, 1 movie/animu every month and one computer program every year
No, I'd do that if I was pirating for ethical reasons. I don't, it's purely practical.
Never, but then I lived in Italy for most of my life. I'm in Germoney now and have to be a little more careful. I never torrent from my home network.
When I was a teen my mom introduced my to Limewire, got my music from there and have been pirating ever since. Used to pirate gaymes as well, then came Steam and it's just more practical desu, so I stopped pirating gaymes. I honestly would pay for my music/chinese cartoons as well if there were comparable (and comparably cheap) services.
>>
>Be HueCitizen in HueLand
>Government makes the currency weaker so they can tell Huezers that they are making a lot of money in exports.
> 100% tax over imports including the delivery fee
> government loses reins of the currency and now it's worth a quarter of a dollar

if i download something that is not netflix send the bill to my government
>>
>>51882660
Why? Because they ask more money than it is worth, or they don't sell it. Because I already bought a copy. Because I saw something before and I want to see it again.

How often? Not very

I do not crack anything. I have not been fined or even asked to stop.
>>
I don't have tons of spending money so I like to evaluate products before I purchase them, usually because there's no way to get a refund if I'm not satisfied with it, this isn't usually the case with tangible goods, if you don't like them you can almost always return those or at worst resell them.
>>
>>51882660
convenience. Also when I don't feel like something is worth as much as I am expected to pay for it (e.g. most books, all music, all movies, all tv-shows and only some games. ).
2 years ago: always. now less (about 1 media per week).
no
no
last millennium. As soon as I became aware of it.
>>
1. I used to torrent as a teenager because I could not afford large amounts of music or expensive software.
2. I haven't in a long time but when I did, I would download entire discographies of bands each month and software every couple of months.
3. No, I'm not 1337 enough for that and I feared the reprocussions of uploading as opposed to downloading
4. No. I live in the US btw
5. I learned about torrents when I was about 15

I now pay for music and software because I can afford it, but piracy was an important part of my teenage years
>>
Because things are overpriced, I can, and it's easy.
Everything.
I wish I could.
Nope.
12 years old.
>>
>>51882660

I live off of 500$ a month. If i payed for shit i wouldn't have a place to live.

As needed.

I do not have the technical skills to do so.

No

When i first got internet back in 1997.
>>
>>51882660
Because it's free
>>
>>51882660
Gr8 B8 GCHQ
>>
File: image.gif (717 KB, 499x300) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
717 KB, 499x300
>>51882660
It's less of a pain in the class then legal methods. I wouldn't mind paying if it was as easy as pirating.
Hourly, I'd say. My seedbox is always fetching something new.
I crack your mum if you know what I mean ;)
Kek, what kind of casual do you take me for?
I dunno, probably when I was 13-14?
>>
Because I can
Every day
No, but I would if I could
No
Around the year 2000
>>
>>51882660
>1) -Why do you download shared software,music,movies...?
I download shared content because buying it is too inconvenient. I do not watch ads, so if a show isn't on netflix I have to download it. Downloading in bulk is also just better than streaming in general.

>2) -How often do you downlaod shared software,music,movies...?
I download shared content 3-4 times a week.

No

No

I started downloading things people shared on the internet around 1995 or so, when I got internet at my house.
>>
>>51882660
1) Because if I can get it for free why would I pay for it?

2) Maybe a couple of times a month? Usually 2-3 things a month I'd say.

3) Lol no

4) Lol no

5) When I was around 13 probably.
>>
>>51882660
because you can't patent a certain arrangement of sounds or words. hours put into it does not matter
not that often to be honest, and mostly music off of youtube anyway
no
implying it is even feasible for the government or a 3rd party contractor to find grounds for a fine other than one meant to scare
the second i found out that shit still costs money even if you do a digital download and get nothing physical from it
>>
> Why?
Because I don't wanna pay. I'm not poor or anything. But money is money, no matter how much. If I can get it for free why pay for it?

> How often?
probably once a week, but sometimes more/less. depends on the need

> Do you crack?
For personal uses. However nothing I do is really stable and usually one update will knock it over so I don't publish. Usually other people do just a fine job.

> Did you get a fine?
no.

> When did you start?
14 maybe? young af.
>>
Where do you guys go for that stuff anyway? KAT and Pirate Bay is kill cuz NSA. Where else would one go that isn't infested with memeware?
>>
>>51882660
dude free shit lmao
I pirate movies and music because the industry is so far behind that this is the only way I can satisfy my wants. Ignoring the fact that I do not have a bluray or DVD drive, buying FLAC music is difficult since the lossless options are limited to bandcamp and physical media. As for movies, if I buy a movie I don't want it to be riddled with 50 unskippable trailers and a shitty menu before the damn movie starts, and I don't want the god awful quality that is web-DL. Blu-ray or nothing, and since I cannot legally buy and download movies in blu-ray quality, I pirate them.
There you have it. Give me a good, legal service where I can go to buy my music in FLAC format and movies in a digital format at blu-ray quality.
>2) -How often do you download illegal software,music,movies...?
Music and movies, very often. Software I buy 99% of the time. The only cracked software I have on my PC right now is Windows 8.1 and Photoshop.
No.
lol no
Like 10 years ago or so
>>
>Why do you download illegal software,music,movies...?
Multiple reasons:
- Freedom of use
- Price
- Availability in my country
- Availability in general (legacy / forgotten stuff)
- DRM'd stuff don't work on my Linux devices (and I don't want it to ever work)
- Pirates sometimes fix broken stuff as well
- In the case of movies: don't have enough bandwidth to use any streaming service (0.7mbps down, yes, that's pure shit)

>How often do you download illegal software,music,movies...?
Pretty much daily

>Do you also crack software and publish it?
Nope

>Did you ever get a fine for downloading/uploading piracy content?
Nope

>When did you start getting interested in it?
Late 90s / early 2000s, when I got my first computer as a kid instead of having to rely on my parents' equipment.
>>
>>51882660
>Because I try to save money when I can, plus the pirated options are often times better (Higher quality, no DRM, no annoying adverts/trailers, etc.) (I do still buy movies if I really want the Blu-Ray or if it's a good deal and also buy most of my games since Steam actually makes it convenient)
2) -How often do you download illegal software,music,movies...?
>Pretty much everyday
>no
>no
>Learned about it in the Napster era, started doing it myself in the Kazaa era, ~2002.
>>
Because it's free. Duh. I make a lot of money, but if I paid for everything I pirated I'd go through my income several times over.

Every day pretty much.

No. I've thought about it before, mostly to get better at assembly (and the whole process of disassembling and reverse engineering something) but it's so rare that I actually use assembly that I don't have a real compelling reason.

No.

Sometime in the early 90s.
>>
>>51886714
I should add to my answer to #1. I spend somewhere between 3 and 7 thousand dollars a year on records and merch from bands I like and I usually buy around 500 - 1500 dollars worth of games in a year. So it's not like I never pay for anything.
>>
File: rikka_cool.jpg (67 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rikka_cool.jpg
67 KB, 1280x720
>>51882660
1) I am poor and can not afford my Animu & Games
2) About twice a week
3) I have helped work on a crack once.
4) No, but I have gotten warnings from my ISP. I'm on a VPN to prevent that.
5) When I first used the internet.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.