[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so let me get this straight, ZEN is actually just another rehashed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 3463457.jpg (26 KB, 405x374) Image search: [Google]
3463457.jpg
26 KB, 405x374
so let me get this straight, ZEN is actually just another rehashed FX series and the actual APU versions are still going to be watered down on the CPU side

so none of the hype of it being an i7 with a R9 on die is actually bullshit

instead it'll be an i3 with an R9 or a Xenon ripoff
>>
>ZEN is actually just another rehashed FX series
Where did you hear that?
>>
File: Zen-IPC-Gain.jpg (44 KB, 824x465) Image search: [Google]
Zen-IPC-Gain.jpg
44 KB, 824x465
No Zen is most likely going to be on par with desktop i5s/maybe i7s if 4-core and desktop Haswell-E i7s if 8-core.

Just imagine an A10-8700P (yes that laptop carrizo APU) with 40% better IPC, clocked at 3-4 GHz - that's what Zen is likely to be.

Shit's going to be so fucking cash.
>>
>>51880354

>the i3-4170 is faster than every AMD by miles on cpuworld charts

>look at this graph showing how much faster our new AMD chip is compared to other AMD chips
>>
No it's a fucking new CPU idiot.
New architecture, it's got almost nothing to do with the failed bulldozer line.
It's had actual competent people working on it (actually the x86 god himself, Jim Keller).

It's going to be okay.

What I expect is an 8 core sandy bridge level processor.
People saying it's going to be 'on par with haswell' are fucking deluded.
Especially since they use AMD's '40%' metric which is as reliable as nvidia's marketing slides.

THEY'RE FUCKING MARKETING SLIDES, NOT INTERNAL DOCUMENTS JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-15-13-14-07.png (114 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-15-13-14-07.png
114 KB, 540x960
>>51880405
We currently don't have any desktop excavator APUs to compare against i3s right now.
>>
>>51880477
Here's to hoping. I really would love it if I could get Haswell-E performance on the cheap with AMD.
>>
>>51880553
Bulldozer me once, shame on you.
Bulldozer me twice, I'm a fucking moron
>>
Why would anybody buy AMD?
Just spend the extra 50-100 dollars and get a processor that isn't a piece of trash.
How fucking poor are you?
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>51880593
That's the point- Zen looks like it's not going to be a piece of trash.
Some fanboys think it's the second coming of jesus, but 'not trash' would be great enough as it is.
>>
>>51880572
Look, they fuck up Zen and I go with Intel for good. I'm giving AMD one more chance to get its shit together. I'm not happy about all the flops AMD has had in the past either.
>>
>>51880048
>unironically wanting AMD hardware

yeah wake up it's fucking 2015 amd is fucking trash what did you expect
>>
>>51880593
Because their processors are cheaper. But right now single core performance is fucking shit. AMD claims it's going to fix that with Zen. We only have to wait another year to confirm this. However if Zen turns out to be shit like everyone claims then I'll be the first one to jump ship and use a Haswell-E for my desktop next year.
>>
>>51880635
Good goyim insideā„¢
>>
>>51880635
Its the current year sheeple wake up!
>>
No. At worst, it will have only 20% better ipc compared to excavator which should be almost as good as desktop i5 processors.

I'm praying it will have 40% better ipc so jewtel can finally go bankrupt.
>>
>>51880635
>>51880593
AMD being around keeps Intel a little bit in alert mode
>>
>>51880520

thats mostly the mgr fault

they're afraid to actually do it

they put out a fucking 220W FX series, yet coulndnt fit a fucking GPU on it too?

their problem is they go autistically unbalanced towards the GPU rather than matching the i series in CPU and then trying to offer more than what the 44/4600 GPU on intels can do, which are still comparable to a mid-level GPU

the iris ones are supposed to be even better

the hardest part to increase is the CPU in a build, you can always add more GPU's

plus when jayz2cents did an actual kavari APU test to show its gaming abilities it had to set everything to ultimate low/custom low and only at 720p and it was pittering at 30fps

so its not even a valid excuse that "it can game anything easily"

also AMD boards are notoriously expensive since the last AM3+ is several years old at this point

and then you also NEED to buy a higher frequency RAM to make the GPU work
>>
>>51880048
No, it's an improvement over excavator so it's going to be a fuckton more powerful than FX processors.
>>
>>51880593

exactly, especially since the i3-4170 just came out this year, and its still barely just over 100,

my entire build was like 400 total
>>
>>51880593
filtered :^)
>>
>>51881440
AMD can obviously make batshit powerful APUs, they already did that for the PS4. The problem is the vram. DDR3 or even DDR4 is simply not enough for a GPU. You either use GDDR5 or go balls out with HBM.

I don't understand why AMD hasn't created APUs with soldered on GDDR5 or HBM memory, it's fucking bullshit.
>>
>>51881863
They might surprise us with bristol ridge, you never know.
>>
>>51881912
bristol ridge is ddr4 only. Stop expecting miracles.
>>
What are the chances of backward socket compatibility
>>
>>51882215
Not likely. AM3+ is ancient as fuck now. AM4 probably won't accept old FX CPUs.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.