[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it finally happening?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: gpuopen-23.jpg (344 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
gpuopen-23.jpg
344 KB, 1500x844
Is it finally happening?
>>
Is this going to give me muh gaymes on linux?
>>
>>51878846
What? No. It'll just mean better Linux drivers for AMD cards hopefully.
>>
>>51878859
Then nothing is happening
>>
>>51878859
ill take it! im just now installing arch on my desktop, so it should play nice with my 280x?
>>
>>51878892
You need good drivers to take advantage of the video card anon. No drivers means no vidya. Free as in freedom drivers also is great for free software.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (9 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
9 KB, 300x225
>>51878859
>>51878892
>Desktop Linux year is never happening
>AMD <creates open drivers fully for linux
>I can't hear you! I can't hear you!
>>
>>51878807
you full well know the only reason why amd goes open source is because they can't afford to keep it closed source.
>>
>>51878958
How is it even possible to be this retarded?
>>
>>51878978
>i've been living under a rock

you know amd only keep up this pointless good guy facade is because nvidia has all the good proprietary feature right?
>>
Will AMD create FreeBSD drivers now?
>>
Ive got this weird thing for AMD, I just want them to survive and do good. I really hope zen saves them. Jim Keller spent 3 years there so It gives me hope.
>>
>>51879019
You do realize that that has nothing to do with open source drivers, right?
>>
>>51879042
The open source radeon driver in linux is maintained by full time AMD developers. The AMD graphics support in all the BSDs comes from AMD basically.
>>
>>51879063
It's just a common sense - even though AMD is still behind Nmemedia and Intel in terms of technology/performance they still take some part of the market. With AMD gone Nvidia/Intel can go full apeshit and do whatever they want with the prices.
>>
File: Untitled.png (255 KB, 758x872) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
255 KB, 758x872
They used to have two tiers for their proprietary drivers, I guess they just merged them to simplify it.
>>
Hopefully it will also support the 280x/7970ghz/7970s...
>>
>>51879408
have they not in the past? I have a 280x and im installing arch?
>>
Damn this looks potentially pretty impressive

I may have to setup a linux partition for my new sapphire 390x I get later today.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH AMD (took ya long enough!)
>>
File: 1419834959373.gif (2 MB, 400x260) Image search: [Google]
1419834959373.gif
2 MB, 400x260
>>51878958
k den
>>
>>51879518
>have they not in the past?
Yes, but officially, AMDGPU will only support BONAIRE, KABINI, KAVERI, HAWAII, MULLINS, CARRIZO, FIJI, TONGA and TOPAZ. Tahiti is not included.
>>
>>51879408
If AMD is trying to keep legacy GCN GPUs supported they might try and bring them in under the AMDGPU driver. I can't really see why AMD would not bring them under AMDGPU at some point, the only reason they wouldn't that I could see is that they wanted to drop all legacy hardware.
>>
>>51879042
>CukBSD
ishyggy
>>
>>51879610
Well, it will be ported for sure, but I don't know when, nor if it will be any better.
>>
>>51879700
AMDGPU uses the kernel driver from the open source radeon driver as a base, it's a fork with support for new GPUs. I'm sure there's going to be a high amount of code sharing in one way or another.
>>
>>51878978
Nvidiots...
>>
>>51879574
why in the fuck?
>>
File: gpgpu.png (367 KB, 812x555) Image search: [Google]
gpgpu.png
367 KB, 812x555
So AMD is making a CUDA to OpenCL/HSA translator layer for their GPUs?
>>
>>51879906
No wait I misinterpreted.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9792/amd-sc15-boltzmann-initiative-announced-c-and-cuda-compilers-for-amd-gpus
>To be clear here, HIP is not a means for AMD GPUs to run compiled CUDA programs. CUDA is and remains an NVIDIA technology. But HIP is the means for source-to-source translation

Still kind of neat but not nearly as interesting
>>
>>51879969
Well if it works as they say it works, it's kind of the same thing - if developers can make two versions in same time frame more or less, it doesn't matter if it runs cuda or not.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.