[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tutanota vs Protonmail
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: 1.jpg (23 KB, 743x308) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
23 KB, 743x308
What /g/ recommends?

Which are the pros and cons of each?
>>
>>51875640
Protonmail, they are bigger and therefor more relyable
>>
>>51875640
Tutanota, no double password bullshit, that makes Proton unusable for normies.
>>
Whichever one is quicker to implement 2FA

So at this point it doesn't matter.
>>
>>51876479
fuck, how haven't they done that yet?

i guess protonmail may do a thing with their app coming soon, but still would be nice to have 2FA set up on my accounts.
>>
>>51876439
>double password bullshit
Do you even understand how encryption works?
>>
>>51875640
tutanota has no waiting list and the devs are linked to the CCC. i use protonmail but would recommend tutanota.
>>
What do you think be more receptive to future implementations in order to improve the service?

Tutanota? They seems to listen more the feedback from users.
>>
>>51876408
>>51876534
>>51876627
Good goy
>>
Tutanota
>devs are based
>one dev literally called like Krautchan's anons
>no waiting queue
>no bullshit
>devs have connections to the CCC
>app for convenience
>source code on github

Protonmail
>looks sleek as fuck
>swiss servers
>traffic is routed through Israel
>got DDOSd some weeks ago
>shady
>no app
>source code on github as well

I'm currently looking at switching from Protonmail to Tutanota.
>>
File: bed.png (16 KB, 360x400) Image search: [Google]
bed.png
16 KB, 360x400
>>51876840
you could have just said bernd.
>Bernd
In Germany we were taught the value of privacy the hard way - think about Gestapo and Stasi. In our digital age all-round surveillance has become alarmingly easy. I write code to protect our private information from today's Orwellian threats.
>>
>>51876915
Oh shit! If you take the following two words from Bernd:
>writing code
and juggle a few letters around, exchange some here and there, you'll end up with
>fucking lolis
BERND CONFIRMED FOR BEING IN UNTERALTERBACH.
>>
>>51876959
he probably browses nsl.
>>
>>51875640
Both so you can diversify your internet presence.
>>
>Germany based anything. EUROPE based anything
>secure or safe

Pick one you fucking dumbasses.
>>
>>51877030
where would you base it? the US? China? Russia?
>>
File: T0UZcUwk.jpg_large.jpg (95 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
T0UZcUwk.jpg_large.jpg
95 KB, 1024x682
>>51876984
Sweet prince, little dreams.
>>
>>51877055
-Iceland
-Somewhere offshore
-Some shitty islands with no laws that can be reached by NSA

Are you fucking 12?
>>
>>51877180
>Iceland
http://grapevine.is/news/2014/07/01/nsa-was-authorised-to-spy-on-iceland-snowden-reveals/
>Offshore automatically implies safety
>Implying some shitty island not reachable by NSA has good if any internet connection

It sounds like you're the one who is 12, mate.
>>
>>51877180
where exactly is iceland better than switzerland?
>>
Anyone care to explain how they work, and how they differ?
>>
>still playing the hide from a three letter agency game

Kinda gave up on that desu, i'm too insignificant to make the effort worth it.

but good luck to all those who are still in the game
>>
I'd use whatever has IMAP or POP3.

Isn't it a bit "suspicious" that they all seem to reject people who want to use desktop clients? At the very least, it's annoying.
>>
>>51877243
They both offer you a free mail account. Both services auto-encrypt your mails and attachments using proven, open-source encryption methods and libraries.
They differ in that ProtonMail is based in Switzerland which makes it hard (not impossible) for people like Agent Smith to access and/or seize the data, while Tutanota is based in Germany which is retarded as fuck for keeping the gubmint off your files, but they don't store any keys of their users so in theory even IF the servers get seized, the data is useless. Much like with the Lavabit story sometime ago.
However, please note that for some reason ProtonMail's traffic gets routed through Isreal after being target of a DDOS, which is shady as fuck: https://cryptome.org/2015/11/protonmail-ddos.htm
>>
>>51877251
>giving up
>>
>>51877279
>reject desktop
What? Tutanota even has their own Outlook plugin to incorporate that piece of shit into their system.
>>
>>51877282
too much effort, not worth it.

will still choose to self-host instead of using 'free' services, and stuff like that.
>>
>>51877281
>please note that for some reason ProtonMail's traffic gets routed through Isreal after being target of a DDOS

Never using ProtonMail again
>>
Go for openmailbox
>>
>>51877281
https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/protonmail-israel-radware/
>>
>>51877348
This is good to know, however I'm just telling people to be careful. It IS shady after all, that they only started doing that _after_ the DDOS.
>>
>>51877376
well, they weren't getting ddos'd until the ddos.

so i'm not sure i'm on board with your assessment.

but, as always, you should use your better judgment and decide for yourself.
>>
>>51877251
You browse /g/, you're already on their lists
>>
>>51876799
You failed JEW
>>
>>51877298
>privacy is not worth it
>>
>>51877502
keep greentexting fag

i'm not saying i am going to post my CC numbers and social, or use just http for logging in.
>>
>>51876703
>>51876840

what's CCC?
>>
>>51877620
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_Computer_Club
>>
Dont you have to pay for both of these?
>>
>>51877336
Hahaa wtf is wrong with you.
>>
>>51877628
>In March 2008, the CCC acquired and published the fingerprints of German Minister of the Interior Wolfgang Schäuble. The magazine also included the fingerprint on a film that readers could use to fool fingerprint readers.[6] This was done to protest the use of biometric data in German identity devices such as e-passports.[7]
top kek
>>
An admin said earlier this year that a plugin for Thunderbird is under review for next year.

When that happens, it would be a big step for the Tutanota.
>>
File: cock.png (2 KB, 221x221) Image search: [Google]
cock.png
2 KB, 221x221
cock.li
>>
>>51878178
>Trusting Vince
>Trusting a french kuk ever
>>
They're both gonna go bankrupt and die so they're not reliable.
>>
>>51878242
what do you use then? your own mailserver?
>>
>>51878256
he's probably using gmail
>>
>>51878242
Protonmail is going to release a commercial offering next month. Keep up with the news neetling.
>>
>>51875640
Yandex or mail.ru
>>
Prontonmail have a very nice interface and useful features like labels.

Tutamail seems abit rudimentary
>>
>>51878215
What's wrong with VC? He's been restless solving the bs he's had to put with lately. Still love that nigga.
>>
>>51877324
same
>>
>>51875640
Tutanota. Protonmail is situated in Switzerland, German politicians support encrytion and privacy more than switzerland because the swiss hate muslims more than they want privacy.
>>
Protonmail.
I'd rather trust the mountain jew than an US vassal state
>>
>>51883782
>the mountain jew

kek
>>
Is protonmail slow as shit for anybody else. I can't login and keep getting an unsecure connection timeout
>>
>>51885042
Nevermind. It seems to have cleared up
>>
File: 1449434148374.png (520 KB, 1875x1761) Image search: [Google]
1449434148374.png
520 KB, 1875x1761
Anyone have the Tutanota promotion code for 5 GB storage?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.