[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First time I've ever seen smoke come from a motherboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 2.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Alright /g/entlemen.

I got a few questions for you.

#1 How the hell did this happen

and #2 what are the chances of me getting a refund?

Long story short, I bought a screen for my laptop with a broken screen, did everything as I would any other laptop I've swapped screens for(done dozens, never had a single issue)

Opened up the laptop, removed battery, removed broken screen and respective parts; wifi antennae and LCD connector.

Reversed process, plugged in new screen put the battery in(built in under the housing of laptop) and then boom smoke came up from my laptop, shorted the connector and now I have a dead motherboard and a new screen with a fried connector

I'm under the assumption this was the screens fault - perhaps the connectors we're damaged and shorted and sent more voltage than was supposed to be sent through them? I highly doubt it had anything to do with the motherboard female receiving connector because you'd literally have to go in and screw it up.

How did this happen? I've been professionally working on computers for coming up on 7 years and I've never seen smoke come from a motherboard. Blown capacitors, bad powersupplys making weird noises, etc, but never literal fucking smoke. Also, I didn't even power the machine on. As soon as the battery was reseated the female connector and male connector went up in smoke for the LCD.

Ideas anybody?
>>
File: 1.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Pic of female connector damage
>>
File: 3.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Pic of female connector #2
>>
The lamps in those screens are high voltage. If something like a bug or hair bridged the pins that deliver the power for the lamps, that can easily cause a fire.
>>
>>51871866
>I'm under the assumption this was the screens fault
I'm under the assumption you either plugged it in upside down or dropped something in the female connector
>>
>>51871912
Seriously? God damn. Chances of getting a refund?
>>
>>51872022
0%
It's entirely your fault and they probably wouldn't refund you even if it wasn't
>>
>>51872002
You would have to be a special kind of idiot to plug it in upside down, it has the pull tab on it which clearly indicates what side is up and as stated - I've repaired dozens of laptop screens and never had an issue.

I'll buy into the something magically fell on the connector while it was seating, I suppose.
>>
>>51871912
There's no high voltage in that cable, CCFL tubes have separate high voltage wires.
>>
>>51872022
Read the warranty, if its covered you're good. If it's not lie. Simple
>>
>>51872086
>warranty
>for an individual component blatantly damaged during installation
>>
Well in any case seeing as though that project is totally fucked, anyone else got some I.T. repair horror stories?
>>
>>51872107
I've seen people get refunded on CPUs that they demolished installing into their computer. Anything is possible.
>>
>>51872117
My customer stores user email in 6 different places, with a cron job reading a database table *audit* log to update a 7th external system every 2 minutes.

None of it is transactionally guaranteed and rollbacks are next to impossible.
>>
>>51871866
you slapdick you didn't even drain the circuit before you unplugged it

you were pluggin some shit in and didn't align the connector perfectly and crossed your pins

now ya goofed, that motherboard is fucked (or maybe it has a fuse that is now fucked, or maybe the backlight inverter is fucked cuz mostly asus has them on-board)

tl;dr you're fucked

next time remove the battery and hold the power button for 45 seconds

be sure before you work. be double sure.
>>
Something just struck me as more plausible than the rest of the posts.

I am wondering if the seller reverse the connector from the LCD to the Motherboard, causing the short.
>>
>>51872264
You cannot plug it in side ways, and the circuit was drained.
>>
Probably ESD damage, or something stuck in the connector.

There's definitely a short somewhere, might've even been a shitty counterfeit display panel.

>>As soon as the battery was reseated the female connector and male connector went up in smoke for the LCD.

Pretty bad design from the computer manufacturer, why is power going to the display while it's off?
>>
File: 1448043057563.gif (460 KB, 480x266) Image search: [Google]
1448043057563.gif
460 KB, 480x266
>>51872291
but your shit is fried so obviously not ROFL

its ok, it was anything's fault but your own. lightning struck it (*~* )
>>
>>51872393
You must be a idiot. The shit was fried after the battery was reseated. And I've already accepted the possibility it may have been a hair or dust follicle or some weird asshole piece of matter screwing my day up.

>>51872381
Yeah, that's what I don't understand. The power button wasn't even connected to the motherboard when it went up in flames.
>>
>>51872381
>counterfeit display panel

I do not know why but this just seems extremely more likely than a fucking dustbunny or random hair falling in the connector.

If magical pieces of matter falling on the connector had caused this you think I'd have ran into this problem a long, long time ago.
>>
>>51871866
should have used an anti-static wrist wrap. :^)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.