[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Delayed four months >13 percent drop in stock price >CV1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: htc-vive-square.jpg (101 KB, 1439x1199) Image search: [Google]
htc-vive-square.jpg
101 KB, 1439x1199
>Delayed four months
>13 percent drop in stock price
>CV1 will make it to market first.

GG HTC
>>
The first one to market usually reaps the most benefits, unless they have a major fuckup. Oculus already had a huge lead, Valve should have put their energy towards an early release instead of additional features.
>>
File: Dat drop tho.jpg (38 KB, 556x459) Image search: [Google]
Dat drop tho.jpg
38 KB, 556x459
Jesus htc stock cannot catch a break.
>>
until the oculus releases, has no games, and underdelivers.

VR is cool but there is like nothing to play that isn't just a cool 5 minute demo.
>>
>>51867297
Prob because everything they make is shoddy garbage
>>
>>51867220
Good.
Maybe they'll try harder next time.

Forealdo, a $700 VR headset won't compete with oculus, anyway. Yeah, it's almost certainly better quality with more features, but we want VR to actually stick this time. Let oculus get the hype going, wait on demand to drum up and for more titles to be released, let cost of components go down, allow OR to be a consumer beta test, do more R&D, let GPU's get just a little more powerful, THEN release a top tier headset to compete, when oculus begins showing its age, just before they're expected to announce a new one.
>>
Yeah the Oculus with it's bullshit exclusivity would make it first to market.
>>
Wonder what's the actual reason for the delay? Some kind of manufacturing hiccup? I was super hyped thinking i'd have a Vive at least on preorder by Christmas.
>>
Lol why does their official blog have a discussion page? They're just going to get their ass holes ripped open.
>>
>>51867862
Probably, I think only a month ago they were announcing that they were still on track for a release. I have a hard time believing that they weren't aware of a five month delay on the works though.
>>
>>51867301
Yeah, and the first motion picture sucked. It was just a damn horse running for five seconds.
>>
>>51867301
Have you actually seen the launch line up and tried it out or are you just judging things based on what you feel the market looks like at this moment?
>>
Is this the shit that will finally remove HTC?

Garbage company. How much money have they wasted developing this overpriced shit that no one will buy?
>>
>>51867862
Aren't computers still barely ready to manage those virtual reality headsets? Maybe that's the problem and they have to optimize it.
>>
>>51870208
It's interesting thinking about what they have in store, but realistically speaking, it could be due to software. Recent news revealed that Valve will get their developers onto direct mode support in January, which is very important to make the software experience plug and play, and not finicky.
>>
>>51870208
Currently it's look like yeah, PC hardware is a bit of the choke point. the specs that Oculus put out for the Rift are a little high-end, and Vive is likely going to fall within that range as well. I think the thought process behind Oculut and HTC is that they'll get the foothold stuff done now with crappy 1st-gen VR, figure out how to make media for it, and then by the time the PC hardware catches up they'll know what works in VR and what doesn't. All the forecasting models say 5-years+ before VR becomes mainstream. A lot of that is due to the fact that all these companies have no idea what they are doing. Case in point, HTC being 4 months late.
>>
>>51867862
i heard they were having problems with the controllers. something about them not working properly with batteries that are either fully charged or not charged enough. apparently the working sweet spot is about half an hour.
>>
>>51867220
Minimum requirement is a GTX 970 and a Fury X (AMD is shit at VR) so most people won't be able to run it out of the box anyways. I think they're delaying it to grasp the initial mass response of VR.
>>
what kind of computer/video card would you need to power one of these VR headsets? I have a core2duo and a budget fanless nvidia card, will I be able to play minecraft with one of these or will I need to upgrade?

will they work with linux?
>>
>>51870518
Dual 1080p and a solid 90fps
>>
I only care about VR for games like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen or other games where you get to pilot aircraft, not any of this standing up haptic response shit that they're pushing but I guess I'm a minority
>>
>>51870588

I agree but I literally can't stand so that might be why
>>
>>51870588
I think the tech needs to progress further in terms of haptics, VR interactivity, and overall quality before I'll be sold on standing-moving-around-type games.
>>
>>51870676
>>51870588
The problem is that with current locomotion (or lack thereof), without roomscale VR, cockpit style games are the only viable types of games. Just strapping on a HMD and trying to play a FPS with sitting still is a one-way ticket to sick city.
And if cockpit style games were the only games you could play then there wouldn't be much hope for VR.
So as it is, unless games come up with an intuitive locomotion system that can work without moving in the real world without making you sick, room-scale is where it's at.
>>
How do you buy oculus rift games?

Facebook steam?
>>
>>51871422
>How do you buy oculus rift games?
Probably in the least intuitive and most annoying way possible.
>>
>>51871422
How do you buy games normally? Same thing.

Oculus will also have their own store like Steam, which is optional.
>>
What's 4 months, oculus rift got delayed for years.
>>
>>51867301
Every Rift will ship with EVE: Valkyrie for free.

There's plenty of games already with native support that will update to the 1.0 runtime soon enough, and VorpX increases the compatibility a thousand times over.

Not to mention that this is only after about two years of people developing and releasing games for these things.

I'm optimistic.
>>
>>51871422
What
>>51871588
said.

There's going to be an Oculus-specific in-device home menu, complete with store, but you don't need to go through it unless the game is exclusive to it.

Any old game can use Rift so long as it uses the runtime, which has fuck-all to do with facebook or steam.

Both HTC/Valve and Oculus are keeping an open mind about compatibility, so device exclusivity hopefully won't be an issue either.
>>
>>51871589
At least Oculus didn't announce a hard release date and push it hard onto people, then suddenly go back on that, acting as if their marketing never happened. People are mad at HTC's PR, not necessarily the delay itself.
>>
>>51871694
Oculus announced they'd have it done "by next year" at least a couple of times.
>>
>>51871691
Oculus have already announced Oculus store exclusive games. And the Oculus store is exclusive to Oculus devices. I don't know how they intend to implement this, but that's what they've said, so that doesn't sound very conductive to being an open format.
>>
File: 1448396488669.jpg (7 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1448396488669.jpg
7 KB, 184x184
>Mfw Oculus funded the makers of rock band to make a rockband game for the Oculus.

>Oculus paid a major publisher that is forever grafted to the dick of EA to make a game on their platform.

Why
>>
>>51871787
You're confusing speculation and rumors for what they actually said on record.
>>
File: htc vive.jpg (25 KB, 365x365) Image search: [Google]
htc vive.jpg
25 KB, 365x365
>>51867220
What the fuck are all those pockets on the front supposed to be?
>>
>>51871863
I don't think so brah.
>>
>>51867329
Fuck off samshill.
>>
>>51871892
Google "oculus rift release" search results before 2015 and find me a source where Oculus themselves say they will release "by next year." No articles saying "Oculus said that..." or "we heard that."
>>
>>51871787
Current date is Q1 2016. CV1 is already basically finished if what we've seen at trade shows is any indication. They're probably getting into production soon.

>>51871808
I'm aware. I attribute that mainly to the fact that it's such an unknown market that until the big three all hit market and prove to be sustainable, it's hard for developers to develop for two or three different runtimes.

>>51871887
Positional tracking. Rift has something like 'em too, they're just IR lights hidden under the surface. Vive's tracking is being developed with room-scale in mind, while Oculus is more a sit-in-chair-and-lean-around sort of thing at the moment.
>>
>>51870518
High-end GPU required. High end 4 core CPU required.

AMD 290x or GTX 970 Approx ~200-280
>>
>>51871887
Specifically they are photodiodes that record the arrival time of pulses of laser light that sweep across the room from 2 small boxes (laser basestations).

You triangulate the position of the headset by reading the output of a few sensor ticks after a laser sweep is performed (this happens 90hz+)
They do the same technique with the controllers, they have big sensor balls on the top of them.

They call it Lighthouse, the laser boxes are "dumb" but the headset/controllers are smart, where as Oculus has IR LEDs it tracks with an external camera(s).
>>
>>51871943
>>51872037
I see. Thanks guys
>>
>>51872037
So which positional tracker would be fastest, Rift or Vive?
>>
>>51872223
Actually, both are equally "fast."

They both rely on inertial measurement units, or IMUs, to derive position. The problem with using IMUs is that they drift over time. This is solved by using either Lighthouse or Constellation to periodically correct for drift. It wouldn't be inaccurate to call them drift correction systems.

PSVR does this as well.
>>
>>51872290
What this nigga said. A lot of people will tell you that Oculus can't do room-scale VR like the Vive, but that is bullshit. The CV1 can do room scale just like Vive by placing sensors in opposite corners of the room. Their only "worry" is occlusion issues but the Vive has the same occlusion issues (placing controllers on the standing user's belly and hunching around them, standing only facing one sensor and putting one hand in front of the other etc.).

Don't buy into the hype for either system, but I will be buying a rift+touch and a vive. I have tried these systems and they are enough of an improvement over Oculus DK2 to be called consumer-ready.
>>
so for those adopting VR early, which one are you going for?

If the CV1 releases January I'm grabbing that unless vive announces something worth the wait for their consumer version. Otherwise if oculus release is late Feburary or March then I will wait to see how Vive's consumer version measures up.

I was leaning towards grabbing the HTC Vive early during their limited launch before christmas, but I was holding off because I liked the oculus touch controllers more.

At the very least for the CV1 I know what to expect and know my system requirements are met. All that it boils down to is price at this point and for that HTC has announced they would be more expensive.

I doubt HTC will announce anything mindblowing for Vive within such a short timeframe, they are probably fixing some issues with the HMD or reducing the size of their motion controllers, if that is the case then it is not worth waiting several months for.

Oculus touch controllers have addition gesture recognition and same control layout. Looks comfier, only gripe being that they don't launch with the HMD you'd have to wait by which time Vive would be out anyways. Still having an HMD early is better than nothing for a few months.

If vive adds 3D haptics and makes their controllers more compact or offers a distinct edge over CV1 with an enhanced display and optics then I will consider them. But that also depends on their price, not exactly swimming in cash at the moment especially after shelling a large sum of money upgrading to run the damned thing.
>>
>>51872357
Good man. Though I do believe HTC and Valve are encouraging developers to use room scale instead of Oculus, who is more, well, just letting devs do whatever they want. Oculus Story Studio for example is using a room scale cameras on opposite corners of the room setup.
>>
File: 1448042184679.jpg (11 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1448042184679.jpg
11 KB, 320x320
>>51872455
Vive dun goofed. Fuck those HTC chucklefucks. I'm buying an Oculus. It has superior controllers that can do finer interactions and it has a more comfortable, lightweight and ergonomic design. Did I mention its cheaper and comes out sooner with more games?

H T C R E T I R E D
>>
All I am interested in is mai waifu simulators.
>>
>>51872455
I'm going for Rift, Vive, PSVR, and Gear VR. If something else comes along that's also good, I'll get that too. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of those honestly.

>>51872500
You bring up some good points but that's being too dramatic about it. HTC hasn't shown their final hardware either. I can understand if you don't like the way HTC treated their fans though.
>>
>>51872504
oh my friend, don't worry. I've been in the waifu age with dk2 for a year now

its coming, very soon
>>
>>51872539
I believe HTC knew a long time before and simply misled everyone and got their hopes up only to under-deliver to the maximum. I also sold my DK2 a few days before the "conference" anticipating the Vive release. I can't exactly get my DK2 back. So thats why. Pieces of shit.

Personally tho, PSVR will do the best out of Gen1 VR IMO

Once PC requirements come down it will get good.
>>
>>51872504
there will likely be content for both, in your case you'd want to figure out which on of the two HMDs would be more popular in japan.

There are already several japanese demos that have been running on DK2s, so it wouldn't be far fetched for the oculus rift to have more waifu sims.

Neither have launched yet so only time will tell, frankly I hope VR doesn't become locked. I'd rather they be like buying peripherals, plug and play with at most a basic driver installation to handle tracking, that way you can pop in any VR game and expect it to work.

I don't like razer products, but I hope OSVR kicks off so VR HMDs become peripherals with oculus home and steam being merely software distribution platforms.
>>
>>51872577
Ah, I understand your pain. I'd be pretty pissed as well if I did that.

I have a strong belief that PSVR will do the best out of the 3 as well. PC requirements will definitely get better over time. Similarly, PSVR games will also get better as developers learn how to optimize for it better and better.
>>
>>51872577
PSVR seems to have the largest lineup of games, but I have my doubts conscidering how weak the PS4 is on the hardware level.

Vive and Oculus sound like the better option, for those who already have PS4s though they wouldn't have to invest a tremendous amount of money which is its attractive selling point.

I just hope it doesn't flop and ruin VRs image. The next generation of consoles will likey catch up to current PC level hardware. 970/290 level performance on PS5 would be good.
>>
PSVR is rendered at 60 fps with some form of timewarping for in-between frames to bring it up to 120fps to match the refresh rate of their screen, correct? I wonder how much artifacting is present on the inbetween frames as a result and how noticeable that will be.
>>
I think sony would have been better off if they had went with a 1440p screen and any game that could not cut it at that resolution could target 720p, upscale, and then composite the UI ontop.
>>
>>51872744
I don't think anyone who has tried it has said the artifacts are noticeable. My own personal experience also matches up. People who have experimented with time warping would also probably say the threshold for noticing the artifacts is lower than that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtEXMlQQtI

>>51872729
I think you'll find the PSVR is very competent with graphics complexity. Developers who port their Oculus games to our system maintain similar performance. There are several reasons for this. One is that they only have to target one hardware specification and can optimize for that, as is done normally for consoles. Something special is that we can render 1080p 60 FPS and still look good with our high pixel fill RGB display with reprojection (time warp) to 120 Hz, as opposed to the Rift which needs to render much higher than 1080p and at 90 Hz.
>>
>>51872836
That would drive the cost too high. But it would be a good for applications that are not as taxing as vidya such as viewing 3D videos or panoramic images.
>>
Got one the other day and you can't adjust the lens, which sucks for people with short sight. None of the lenses were sharp, whereas with a gear VR I could perfectly adjust the sharpness with the weel on the top. Oculus is also extremely uncomfortable compated to the gear vr. Gear VR for PC/Windows when?
>>
>>51872860
2160x1200 isn't that much larger than 1920x1080, but I can see how it can be more intensive to render 90Hz as opposed to 60Hz with a slightly higher resolution.

Depending on the application however, 90Hz sounds like the better option especially if you move your head around quickly and frequently with objects coming in and out of view quickly.

From my understanding timewarp applies a rotation to the last rendered image based on your HMDs position until a new render is fed to the display. So it is possible for a very brief duration for there to be missing objects as they have not been rendered in yet.

Another limitation is that your eye balls are offset from the center of rotation (the neck) so this does not correlate 1:1 with rotating the last rendered image.

I have not tried asyncronous timewarp first hand so I do not how much of a difference you would notice between 60Hz stepped up to 120Hz and native 90Hz. Some people have been claiming timewarped looks blurrier when you move your head around quickly.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.