[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know this is more /o/ but I want to know what does /g/ think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
I know this is more /o/ but I want to know what does /g/ think of Teslas. Does anyone own or has used one?
>>
I think they're pretty cool. They look good on the outside and on the inside, and they seem to drive well from what I've seen. Mileage also seems to be good for an electric.
>>
I don't want to have to manipulate every aspect of my driving experience through a touchscreen. I would have bought one by now if not for that. I like knobs.
>>
Range anxiety is a bitch. There is no quick charge station between me and my grandparents who live about 300 miles away. Couple that with 80mph roads and it's a no go even with the largest battery. If I spend that much money on a car I should not have to look for a second vehicle to visit family.

Furthermore, electric vehicles have always seemed backward to me. I would buy an FCX Clairity in a heart beat though if they sold them outside of California (and if hydrogen stations were more common)
>>
They're the Apple of cars

Overpriced and pretending that they invented things that have been on the market for a long time.
>>
the quality of the interior is disappointing, if you ignore the two lcd screens it feels like a $40,000 car
>>
You have to change the batteries every 10 years or so, at which point you might as well buy a new car.

It's the only car whose lifespan decreases even if you don't drive it.
>>
Still too expensive to buy for most folk. Might see people ditch gas car for good when 10-20K models appear.

Another problem is charging the batteries is too slow. Even if you had a 240v 80 AMP charging station (dual 40 AMP chargers) at home, it would take you 4-5 fucking hours to completely charge your 80kW car battery. Filling a 12 gallon gas tank takes only a few minutes.

Still, the cost per range is breddy good. ~$13 worth of electricity (80kw @ 16ยข) will give you ~300 miles of range.
>>
>>51868391
>I don't want to have to manipulate every aspect of my driving experience through a touchscreen.
>>51868467
>Range anxiety is a bitch. There is no quick charge station between me and my grandparents who live about 300 miles away. Couple that with 80mph roads and it's a no go even with the largest battery.
>>51868577
>You have to change the batteries every 10 years or so, at which point you might as well buy a new car.
>It's the only car whose lifespan decreases even if you don't drive it.

These are all problems inherent to electric vehicles in general and I don't see any of them being solved anytime soon. Tesla specifically has the problem that it's fucking expensive. Electric cars in general are slowly getting better about that, but Tesla specifically is going to continue to have that problem. They'll push electric hard, and maybe for some tiny, densely-packed places in Europe and Japan they'll make major inroads, but outside of that niche gasoline will be predominant for a very long time to come.
>>
>>51868706
>~300 miles of range.
If it's warm. If it's below freezing, you can't pull nearly as much energy out of lithium batteries - or any other major rechargeable chemistry. Granted, if you're in California, you don't much care. But if you live anywhere with actual winters, you have a big gotcha added to a pretty long list of gotchas for EVs already.
>>
The Model S is pretty good. There's still range anxiety, but it's not awful and it's a nice car otherwise. The Roadster is crap.

It's hard to compare to gas cars since the Tesla gets such huge government subsidies. It beats many other sedans in the price range, but that's because of the subsidies and tax breaks as much as it is because of the engineering.
>>
Everyone have them here in Norway, it is dirt cheap compared to most other luxury cars. I still want one anyway
>>
>>51868804
>It beats many other sedans in the price range
What? No it doesn't. It doesn't beat a single car in the 80k range. It's a $40-50k car with an electric motor.
>>
Teslas have better mileage than the competition and don't look like shit, but I wish they would make a simpler car that you can control like a car, not a computer.
Exclusively electric cars are overrated right now. Low mileage, batteries have a limited shelf life and are expensive as hell to replace, too few quick recharging spots.
Hybrid diesel/electric cars would be a better choice in my opinion.
>>
>>51868828
I saw a news story a while back on the amount of subsidies they give to electric cars. Breaks from the eye-wateringly high taxes, lower or no tolls, carpool lane privileges. It ended with some politician explaining how they were going to withdraw all of that once electric becomes widespread.

Enjoy it while it lasts, they're giving you a break now so they can milk you later.
>>
>>51868858
The performance is pretty great. It is WAY faster than most sedans in the price range.
>>
>>51868901
1.) You don't buy a luxury sedan for speed
2.) It's faster off the line but not for the long haul. Any halfway electric car will destroy a gas car in a 0-60. Any gasoline car destroys a Tesla on the track.
>>
>>51868866
>Diesel
What are you, a gay European? Gasoline all the way. Batteries are terrible for the environment, and diesels will kill you and everyone around you (and they smell like shit and are loud). Gas cars are the past, present, and the future.

I'm just gonna relax and enjoy my Honda Civic forever.
>>
>>51868901
Torque is great with EV's but those batteries add so much weight that it's not worth a damn in anything but a straight line. Other Sedans in it's price range handle much better and have a much higher top end speed.
>>
>>51868935
>You don't buy a luxury sedan for speed
Right, which is why AMG, ///M and Audi Quattro don't exist or anything.

Go be a retard somewhere else.
>>
>>51869018
Quatro is Audi's AWD system. You can get it on an A3 for <$40k. What the fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>51868981
That's why a system like what the new NSX has is best. Small, quickly charges electric motors for tourqe vectoring and no turbo lag (instant tourqe = no lag from turbos) and a 500hp V6 to drive everything else. Electronic alone doesn't make any sense. Way too many compromises for no gain (even a loss sometimes).
>>
>>51869075
V6 twin turbo
>>
>all these people talking about speed, handling, and performance
I have a feeling that electric is gonna get stuck at the high end of the market. call me when electric is cheap enough that I can buy a slow econobox for $15k.
>>
>>51869018
Comparing the power specifications to a base model BMW M5 you are looking at spending $15k more for a similar spec'd Tesla (P85D Non-Ludicrous)

Does not seem that bad until you factor in build quality and handling.

>>51869075 is right though. What Honda, Ferrari, McLaren, and others are doing with electric motors are fucking awesome. Basically consumer KERS systems.
>>
File: tesla.jpg (87 KB, 840x485) Image search: [Google]
tesla.jpg
87 KB, 840x485
You blow most of your initial seed to buy a Tesla for your startup. You spend the rest of that seed to transport potential investors in your Tesla to fancy dinners while spouting bullshit about how you are looking towards the future and are innovating in your field. You get you first phase of funding no sweat and start your little company. Things are looking good and you even get your second phase of funding which you then blow on expensive parties, girls, and more Teslas. You loose your funding and your company. You are far in debt with seemingly no way out but you do not care because in the end all you really wanted was a Tesla.
>>
The interior is just garbage, literally base Ford quality. And Tesla is bleeding money like a Polish Jew in the 40s.
>>
>>51869148
more importantly, when electric can replace the large amount of vehicles on the road ( big trucks that actually haul shit)
Personal vehicles make literally no impact on the world.
>>
>>51868963
>batteries are terrible for the environment
Agreed.
>gasoline all the way
Sugar cane ethanol is easier to produce, cheaper, cleaner and has a higher octane rating (proportional to gasoline; alcohol doesn't have octanes).
>diesels will kill you and everyone around you
B40 biodiesel can be made with used cooking oil and has lower emissions than gasoline.
>they smell like shit and are loud
I'm talking about modern cars, not 1950 trucks. Modern high RPM, low volume diesel engines are as quiet or quieter than gas engines and unless there's a hole in the exhaust, it doesn't smell.
>>
>>51869660
>it doesn't smell.
I heard that if you modify a diesel to run on leftover cooking oil - which some people do, since it means you can run your car on waste that restaurants will give you for free, since otherwise they'd have to pay to have it hauled away - then your exhaust will smell vaguely of french fries.

but really diesel's problems are particulates and the fact that if you tune them for best economy (lowest CO2) you get a lot of nitrogen oxides. Which matters not a bit if you're a semi on an empty interstate but causes awful smog in a traffic jam downtown.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.