[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Linux Mint good for a first-time Linux installation? Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cinnamon[1].png (316 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon[1].png
316 KB, 1920x1200
Is Linux Mint good for a first-time Linux installation? Does it have some botnet installed like Ubuntu?
>>
>>51864360
>Is Linux Mint good for a first-time Linux installation?
yes
>Does it have some botnet installed like Ubuntu?
dunno
I use it anyway
>>
>>51864360
You mean the amazon that you can uninstall?
I'm using Ubuntu with cinnamon. More up to date than mint.
Pro tip: use numix theme with elementary icons.
>>
yes
no

sauce: I used it, 11/10 it's ok
>>
>>51864360
No but they have some retarded search engine as the default in Firefox instead of Google.
>>
Mint always gives me WiFi and Ethernet issues.

I advocate Lubuntu as first Linux.
>>
>>51866289
lubuntu or xubuntu? which is best?
>>
>>51866264
>Wanting to use a search engine that collects all your data instead of a safer option like Startpage
>>
>>51864360
FYI, only unity ubuntu had the spyware shit. Kubuntu (KDE), Lubuntu (LXDE, Xubuntu (XFCE), etc had none of it.
>>
>>51866423
That depends on your preference. if you don't care about it looking pretty or have a toaster, use lubuntu.
>>
>>51864360
to me It's the best Linux distro in what it has to offer, a complete, stable and up to date distro that can be installed in 5 minutes.

It's basically ubuntu minus a few things including the "botnent" which is amazon search and no unity. Besides, unlike Ubuntu every distro upgrade brings some new and useful things to the table unlike ubuntu which is a hit and miss.

Install it, and fucking stick with it for a couple of months, you will learn a few things.
>>
yeah

>ubuntu
>botnet
>>
>>51864360

Yea, it's good for a first distro, but I liked Manjaro better--think I'd go with Antergos if I were making the decision today though. I had an issue with Mint where my wireless was acting crazy, and my Android phone wouldn't mount half the time. Neither were deal-breakers exactly though. They were minor annoyances, but it made me decide to try out some alternatives, and I just ended up liking Manjaro more.
>>
>no bother

>Mint search enhancer

Choose one
>>
>>51868289
>majaro
>antergos
literally joke distros made to point out people who were too dumb to correctly use their computer and you fell for it

good job
>>
>>51864360
look guy, every os has botnet, it don't matter what os you get. Even if you get OpenBSD it's botnet. But it's LESS botnet, so in that sense it's good. For a first timer linux mint is a great choice, but I think you will like something like Lubuntu if you want the most out of your resources and maybe become full autist and install arch or gentoo later on.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.