[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: "teach" something I'm sure most of you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 25
File: 1287431615167.jpg (24 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1287431615167.jpg
24 KB, 320x320
ITT: "teach" something

I'm sure most of you have learned SOMETHING useful with all of your experience, Post it here.

Teach us how to do something or tell us things you have learned from your experience.

Doesn't matter what as long as it is related to technology.
>>
>>51864097
no
>>
CS is a meme
>>
>>51864097
Fit the power/reset switch & leds before screwing the motherboard in place.
>>
>>51864161
Wait. Why?
>>
'RTFM' are words to live by.
>>
>>51864097
Never trust things you read on anonymous image boards
>>
xset m 0 0
>>
>>51864207
Because most of the time the connectors on the motherboard are at the edge of the board.
When you fit it in the case you'll have very little room to plug them in. It's much easier when you can move the board around a bit.
>>
>>51864097
Gonna bang yer mum so hard I'll have to use valgrind to clean up all the leaks
>>
When you cat /dev/random or accidentally see some weird formatting and any kind of fucking weird behaviour happens on any terminal just type Ctrl C to cancel any possible input, type "reset" no matter how fucked up it looks and hit enter
>>
>>51864301
That doesn't seem like a good idea.
>>
AIDS is not a meme. Always wear a condom.
>>
Valgrind --tool=massif application
And then massif-visualizer is really good way to find what is using so much memory on your applications
>>
Girls actually like nice guys,
>>
>>51864359
Why?
>>
>>51864301
holy shit thank you
>>
When you have a [Y/n] [y/N] normally the capitalized one will be select if you just press enter
Learned after six months of typing Y to my pacman -S's
>>
>>51864097
jalapeno sauce is not the best anal lube
>>
File: Ohm's_law_formula_wheel.jpg (27 KB, 341x320) Image search: [Google]
Ohm's_law_formula_wheel.jpg
27 KB, 341x320
The only formulas you need to remember are:
V = I * R
P= I * E
Knowing any 2, you can work out the other 2 with some common sense
>>
>>51864624
Sure they do. But do they actually fuck nice guys?

See, that's the question.
>>
>>51864803
Yes. You need the perfect mix of being a cunt 90% of the time and being nice to them the rest.
>>
File: 1444336371686.png (83 KB, 328x408) Image search: [Google]
1444336371686.png
83 KB, 328x408
>>51864161
>leds
>>
File: mpyAmAW.png (244 KB, 900x1568) Image search: [Google]
mpyAmAW.png
244 KB, 900x1568
Don't set a bitrate for encoding H264 video unless you crucially need to fit a video on a DVD/fat32 storage. Just use a CRF value: 28 is yify quality, 22 is okay quality, 16 is high quality, 10 is extremely high quality, and anything lower than this is a placebo. The preset option is up to you but generally anything slower than the {slow} preset won't reduce file size by much. Also use 10-bit if the device the video will be played on can handle 10-bit video playback.

Why 10-bit? See:
http://www.x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf
>>
File: wp_ss_20151213_0001.png (89 KB, 720x663) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151213_0001.png
89 KB, 720x663
>ITT: "teach" something useless
=round(A1/2000*4,0)/4
>>
>>51864422
Sex is a meme, just do your job.
>>
A D-latch can be made with a single quad two input nand chip and you don't need a separate inverter for it to work.
>>
Pythagorean theorem also works in 3D
Length = sqrt( x^2 + y^2 + z^2 )
>>
File: screenshot3.png (17 KB, 785x576) Image search: [Google]
screenshot3.png
17 KB, 785x576
Highjack, for shilling program's I like(but did not make)
>SpeQ Mathematics is a small, extensive mathematics program with a simple, intuitive interface. All calculations are entered in a sheet. In there you can freely add, edit and execute calculations. SpeQ supports all common functions, constants, and units. Furthermore, you can define custom variables and functions, and plot graphs of your functions.
>http://www.speqmath.com/
Been using this for a while, its a nice little program that is less complicated than most other math stuff. Its got good help, and tutorials. I just the zip file version, never tried the installer.
>>
File: Image 2.png (27 KB, 416x513) Image search: [Google]
Image 2.png
27 KB, 416x513
If you're looking for a driver and can't seem to figure it out, go to Device Manager and select Details of the device in question. You'll see two sets of alphanumeric characters. The first one is the Vendor ID, the second one is the Device ID. Then, you can go to a website like pcidatabase and find the driver for your device. This is about 85-90% accurate, but with some more research you'll find the solution.
>>
Zap Style Sheets (bookmark)
javascript:(function(){var%20i,x;for(i=0;x=document.styleSheets[i];++i)x.disabled=true;})();

I use this occasionally on my Windows phone because most websites never yes for it. Just add a bookmark and edit the title to whatever and the URL to the code section.
>>
File: whatempathy.png (22 KB, 779x184) Image search: [Google]
whatempathy.png
22 KB, 779x184
>>51864919
How fucked am I ?
>>
Be a nice person and smile
>>
>>51864097
sumo rm rf is a bad code
>>
>>51865227
well it works for n dimension too
>>
>>51865320
driverbooster finds the correct drivers 99%of the time
>>
>>51865420
Don't know man. I think that test is bull and would be suspect of anyone who got a "normal" score, because their probably psychopaths or hippies.
>>
>>51864739
>holy shit
I was so dumb i could almost be an american.
Thank you anon!
>>
>>51865320
I've had good success searching the longest hardware Id in a search engine.
>>
>>51865492
The questions did seem kind of retarded.
>>
Don't buy anything Amd, Intel + Nvidia is the way to go.
>>
>>51865602
( ・ิω・ิ)グドゴユ
>>
For winbros save as spvoice.hta - lets you mess with the text to speech. Works on 7 and 8 haven't tried 10.
<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<title>SpVoice</title>
<script type="text/VBScript">
Option Explicit

Dim spvoice

Sub Window_Onload()
Dim voice, elm, count

Set spvoice = CreateObject("SAPI.SpVoice")

For Each voice In spvoice.GetVoices()
Set elm = Document.createElement("OPTION")
elm.text = voice.GetDescription()
Voices.options.add elm
Next

For count = -10 to 10
Set elm = Document.createElement("OPTION")
elm.text = count
elm.value = count
If count = 0 Then elm.selected = True
Rate.options.add elm
Next

End Sub

Sub Speak_Onclick()
Set spvoice.Voice = spvoice.GetVoices().Item(Voices.selectedIndex)
spvoice.Rate = Rate.Value
spvoice.Speak Text.value
End Sub

</script>
</head>
<body>
<textarea id="Text" cols="60" rows="10">The text to speak goes here.</textarea><br>
<select id="Voices"></select> <select id="Rate"></select> <button id="Speak">Speak</button>
</body>
</html>
>>
>>51865666
英語 YOU FUCKING DIRTY GOOK CUNT
>>
in a terminal: double click on a value to copy it, press ctrl insert to paste it

quickly get pid of a process in order to kill it: ps -aux | grep programname

if you for example want to ping an ip address that has a zero in it, just skip the zero. For example ping 10.5 == ping 10.0.0.5

to quickly get your local ip: ip a | grep inet

to quickly get your public ip: curl icanhazip.com

nmap -p- 172.21.1.1 to scan all ports of that ip
>>
>>51865602
This

Screw amd and their shitty drivers
>>
Many people seem to complain that they can't have Youtube videos on their phone in the background.

You can do this by opening youtube in firefox mobile (not tested in any other browser) and changing to the desktop site.
>>
File: 1283752603721.png (367 KB, 640x479) Image search: [Google]
1283752603721.png
367 KB, 640x479
>>51865802
but anon, I rooted my phone and downloaded some shady app specifically for this purpose
I fucked up?
>>
elephants are actually reptiles
>>
>>51864803

Yeah, there's a difference between being playful and just being a total cunt.

Sometimes you've got to ask yourself: is this bitch even worth it? Does SHE deserve ME? I mean you're definitely not a rock star or some fratboy, so why go crazy over some cunt that won't even appreciate you?

Not everyone can pull the being a total dickhead routine so why waste your time pretending to be something you're not?
>>
>>51865708
defuq did he say?
>>
>>51864250
Oh. Makes sense. My case just happens to have loads of space near those.
>>
>>51864739
This... has got to be a meme
>>
Some old motherboards will only boot off a USB drive it it is formatted as FAT or FAT16.
>>
>>51864097
On some very old SUN SPARC machines (circa 1998) you can't boot up the box if the case is open, one way to override this mechanism is to click the little switch at the internal frame of the panel and only let go after it goes past PROM.

I hope that was helpful, Anon.
>>
>>51864821
Yes. You get noticed being a cunt. You become interesting being a cunt.

Then you show you can be nice and reel them in.
>>
>>51866041
Lots of old OEM/prebuilt machines have this kind of mechanism. There's often a little switch that the side panel presses when it's on.
>>
>>51866531
Well now OP knows it's relevant to very old SUN machines in case he ever wants to run Solaris 2.5 on some ancient, dusty, surprisingly-resilient SPARC 10 or something.

Admins learn their lessons in sweat-soaked adrenaline in the small hours of the night, and they rarely forget them afterwards. Learning that tar opens the tarball into the same path is was saved as - whether relative or full - is another one of those lessons.
>>
File: WP_20151214_15_17_03_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151214_15_17_03_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1840
Kitties and Vicodin, you should have both.
>>
Read the fucking man page, and also

Always try to lower framerate on webms you're trying to get below 3mb, not bitrate. Most videos will still look fine at 25-30 fps and the file size reduction is insane.
>>
>>51868313
forgot 2 add with ffmpeg
>>
>>51865956
Why?
>>
File: 1.44 mb of feels.gif (3 MB, 287x191) Image search: [Google]
1.44 mb of feels.gif
3 MB, 287x191
You can enter a url directly into the file-picker on windows.
gedit is the best middle-tier text editor available for Windows, closely followed by Notepad++
cmatrix

>>51865387
Interesting. Do you have a version which toggles stylesheets?

>>51865761
>quickly get pid of a process in order to kill it: ps -aux | grep programname
pgrep

>>51865862
>Not everyone can pull the being a total dickhead routine so why waste your time pretending to be something you're not?
But anon I *am* a total dickhead!
>>
>>51864097
turn it off and on again
>>
>>51864890
>28 is yify quality, 22 is okay quality, 16 is high quality, 10 is extremely high quality, and anything lower than this is a placebo
Anything lower than ~18 is placebo.
>>
>>51869140
You can still pick out a few very minor artifacts in 16 CRF video if you look closely. Granted nobody is 6 inches away from their tv or computer monitor when they watch a movie so seeing these artifacts would be virtually impossible.
>>
>>51869280
filtered
>>
OSX cheatsheet:
cmd+space - spotlight search
cmd+tab - toggle running apps
cmd+` (key above tab) - toggle windows in current app
cmd+q - quit
cmd+option+esc - force quit

Chrome/Firefox:
cmd+option+left/right arrow - toggle tabs left or right
cmd+number - jump to tab
cmd+w - close tab
cmd+r - refresh
cmd+t - new tab
cmd+shift+t - reopen last tab closed
cmd+n - new window
cmd+shift+n - incognito tab (chrome)
cmd+shift+p - private tab (firefox)

Youtube (works on other OSs as well)
K - pause
J - rewind
L - fast-forward
F - fullscreen
M - mute
>>
File: sunflower seeds.jpg (59 KB, 710x397) Image search: [Google]
sunflower seeds.jpg
59 KB, 710x397
Sunflower seeds are godsend for any office employee - chewing handful a day will oil up your tubes and make those hemorrhoids lot more tolerable.
>>
>>51869409

Why do office workers get hemorrhoids?
>>
Take everything /g/ says with several grains of salt because it is a parochial hivemind driven by people who aren't very social.
>>
>>51869532
sitting on your ass all day long
>>
There's a high probability that any anon that uses the phrases "tinfoil hat", or "nothing to hide" is a shill

>>51868313
What's the difference between framerate and bitrate?
What is bitrate?
>>
If you are working in a 19" rack (square holes / cage nuts) that doesn't have nicely labelled rack units - you can tell where rack units start and stop. The *thin* space between two holes (vertically) is a U border. Between the top/middle and bottom/middle holes within the U are fatter spacing.
>>
>>51869890
Frame rate is the number of images displayed per second. Bitrate is the amount of bits used per second, basically how much data music/video has per second.
>>
>>51869986
so, for a given fixed framerate, bitrate is image quality?
>>
If One of your devices suddenly breaks, most of the time it's a capacitor.
Open or up and look for bloated ones, you might be able to repair it for <1$
>>
>>51870032
Not exactly. But generally higher bitrates foreshadow better quality. However some sources require less bitrate to look good (ie chinese cartoons) and what codec and parameters for the codec was used can also affect video quality at any given bitrate.
>>
>>51870137
>spew general obvious shit but doesn't answer the question.
If I'd realized I was asking a tripfag, I wouldn't have bothered.
>>
>>51869342
nobody cares loser
>>
>>51870392
Sorry, I should have just answered: "it depends".
>>
>>51864769
You forgot E=V
>>
>>51864097
Monads are monoids of the class of endofunctors. I don't see what the problem is here.
>>
>>51870500
Rarely see E (emf) used anymore
>>
>>51870500
>>51870591
Isn't E = to something like delta Ф / delta time ?
>>
>>51870635
E = electromotive force or Voltage
Basically, electrical "pressure".
If electrons were water, it would be PSI (pounds per inch squared)
>>
>>51870725
Oh forget I misunderstood it to the rate of change of magnetic flux
>>
>>51871185
is that a shop? I seriously see the JUST eyes on everyone now
>>
I'd say one of the best things I've picked up while learning to program is that using RAII will make you're programs

a) easier to read, thus easier to maintain.
b) much more resilient to error conditions.
>>
>>51865482
>driverbooster
Its like you enjoy malware
>>
>>51865688
WORKS!

ALSO 88 RUCKY NUMBA
>>
>>51869714
>>51869409

>>>/fit/
>>
>>51865320
Use driverpacks.net too for lots of drivers.
>>
Olive oil, salt, pepper.

You can make anything taste good.
>>
If you're buying a server, don't cheap out on the RAID controller. It may not seem that important, but purchasing the wrong controller can leave you with a $10,000+ door stop
>>
>>51872269
>hardware raid
Kekekekekekekek
>>
I know I'm fishing a bit but, newegg denied my RMA for a motherboard that was DOA. Apparently they can't find the serial number on the board, I know I didn't touch that shit how do I deal with them to get that money back?
>>
>>51872363
Omg newegg is fucking retarded. Tell then to check the PCI /PCI e slots. Asus likes to hide them there in my experience. I'm sorry, anon. That is fucking sad.
>>
>>51872432
Sadly it's an MSI, I know I didn't fling that number off though, gonna file a dispute with paypal tomorrow.
>>
i feel like this thread should be normal now , like /g/wdg or ThinkPad thread

/g/tips or sth
>>
>>51864097
If you're really tight on memory, you could pack your structs to help give you those extra few bytes you need.
>>
>>51869070
>Interesting. Do you have a version which toggles stylesheets?
Replace:
x.disabled=true

With:
x.disabled=!x.disabled

Should do it. Didn't test it though.

>>51872013
>ALSO 88 RUCKY NUMBA
COOL COOL COOL.
>>
>>51865830
Use Firetube, f.am.
>>
>>51865830
OGYoutube.
You are welcome.
>>
>>51864847
You do know that most cases have several indicator leds?
>>
>>51869409
I already eat them with my breakfast weetabix
>>
>>51866026
If your computer doesn't boot off a USB stick, you can use Plop boot manager. You can burn it in a DVD or even install it as an option in your OS' bootloader.
>>
Do not ever use old cables if you have a new modular PSU.
>>
>>51864097
If anybody has ever had your problem and they solved it, you can too.
>>51875448
Yeah, this gets a lot of people. If you're too retarded to know which cable set to get for your PSU, go with extensions, they are universal.
>>
>>51869408
protip: use Alfred instead of spotlight
>>
>>51870509
*monoids in the category of endofunctors
>>
>>51865761
You can also kill a process with pkill programname or killall programname
>>
>>51864422
You actually have pretty low chances of contracting HIV, look up the infection rates, unless you are having regular rough anal sex, you chances are in single digit percentage. You bigger worry is the myriad of other STDs.
>>
>>51876496
>killall programname
Oh no
>>
>>51864681
Because then you lose potentially useful random information.
>>
>>51864919
>>51865420

Should include a disclaimer that your lacking empathy could be caused by misanthropy due to exposure to idiots and red pills. Or prolonged exposure to 4chan.

Is there a bit about empathy for animals? I think you'd both score differently.
>>
The games on gog that only have windows binaries often are dosbox wrappers around an old game. Install the windows binary, and copy the game directories out somewhere else. Now you can use dosbox from Linux with no issues.

Also, most if the SNK humble bundles have the ROM burried in them, so you can get your neo geo roms from there, legally. If that really matters to you.
>>
>>51865420
Shit nigger, I got 10.
>>
Ramen flavor packets taste pretty good on microwave popcorn if you don't overdo it.
>>
>>51877654
I've also discovered this.
Pretty amazing.
What does it have to do with technology though?
>>
People probably already know all this, but maybe there are idiots like myself:

- you can turn on a motherboard that has a good PSU connected to it without using the case button by bridging (the common term is "shorting") the two power button pins with the head of a small metal flathead screwdriver

- you can use your mouse in mc and htop, even via ssh

- you can run multiple GPUs of different types in your rig in order to expand the number of display outs, do different work on different GPUs, etc. You just can't combine their power for gaming except in specific circumstances (nvidia cards can be dedicated for physx, etc. - sidenote, how come you can't dedicate to things like hairworks and other nvidia jew-tier proprietary shit yet?)

- it's almost always cheaper to buy old collectible mechanical keyboards off ebay than new gaming ones, even if you have to buy/find an AT/PS2 adapter, especially if you don't constrain yourself to cherries.

- if you're trying to dedupe your filesystem in windows but you want to keep files in multiple places at once without creating an intricate web of shortcuts, you can usually have programs like dupeGuru create a hardlink, which keeps a file in multiple places in your directory while only taking up one file's worth of space on your storage medium. You may need to run in administrative privileges to do this.

- don't use the AMD ramdisk creator, use softperfect ramdisk, since it doesn't have a size limit.

- most AMD chips in the AM1 and AM3+ line can support ECC RAM with the proper motherboard, as well as some Intel i3s.

- in linux terminology, the "windows" key is referred to as "super" (took me for fucking ever to figure this out). also, touching keyboard keys which are non-standard, like volume knobs, usually won't work in linux and can lead to interface issues.
>>
If your serious about programming, don't learn python.
>>
File: EQResults.png (22 KB, 843x203) Image search: [Google]
EQResults.png
22 KB, 843x203
>>51865420
>>51865492
>>51864919
>>51876952
I guess I'm normal or the test is retarded.
>>
File: 1448907715299.jpg (45 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448907715299.jpg
45 KB, 1000x1000
>>51878190
>>
You can break into a travel luggage case that's locked at the zippers by stabbing the teeth with a ballpoint pen. Once you have a hole in the teeth, expand it and take what you want. To close, just run the locked zipper back over it. This is a common practice in Africa among airport luggage handlers.

Masterlocks are known for their incredibly poor security. Do yourself a favor and buy something else.

Some Masterlocks can be broken into by taking two hard objects and hitting both sides of the lock at once as it's suspended by the shackle.

Hold a can of compressed air upside-down and spray it at close range to an object made of steel or iron. The metal will become brittle, allowing you to break it with a hammer. A lot of bikes are stolen this way.
>>
you can often gain access to basic browser functionality on internet-connected kiosks by saving a page as a shortcut and then renaming the page named in the shortcut to www.google.com or a similar desired page. Did this at a Maier's application terminal just the other day.
>>
File: aspergers.png (52 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
aspergers.png
52 KB, 1440x900
>>51864919
jeezus christ, how do people let me out in public?!
>>
File: zip.png (123 KB, 340x232) Image search: [Google]
zip.png
123 KB, 340x232
You can open a zip tie by shimming a knife or something similar between the little bar and the teeth. You can later reuse the zip tie normally.

Maybe it's dumb as fuck but I just found out about it a couple of months ago.
>>
>>51865761

>in a terminal: double click on a value to copy it, press ctrl insert to paste it

HOLY SHIT THANKS I KNEW THERE HAD TO BE A KEYSTROKE FOR IT
>>
Windows key + Q zooms the screen in and lets you scribble over it
>>
>>51879539
doesn't do shit captain
>>
>>51879539
just opens internet search on W10
>>
There is a cure for Ulcerative Colitis, it's name is Tofacitinib, it's still an experimental drug. It also cures psoriasis and arthritis, but i don't know how well. It works wonders with colitis, unlike all other placebo bullshit meds
>>
>>51879594
>>51879569

Sorry, I've just tried it on Win7.
>>
>>51879625
doesn't work in win7
>>
>>51879622
the shilling is real
>>
The motherboard screws located on the center-right and top-right can block power flow if they're too tight, resulting in failure to POST.
>>
>>51880472
what's the supposed electrical mechanism of this problem? I'm calling bullshit.
>>
>>51872363
go through your credit card company / bank
>>
>>51879625

Doesn't do anything in Windows 7. Let me guess, it closes whatever application had focus when you did it?
>>
You can use ctrl+backspace to delete words.
>>
Never write VBA on your CV.
>>
File: 40598239_p0.jpg (765 KB, 1050x1064) Image search: [Google]
40598239_p0.jpg
765 KB, 1050x1064
>>51864097

Lolis are for marrying.
>>
>>51882177
I wish to be someone I am not.
Truth be told, I am a lone wanderer.
>>
If you use any logic that isn't and if, while or for statement, you fucking suck at programming and need to kill yourself.
>>
>>51882225
What are you trying to say? Do you mean control flow? If so then that's complete bullshit.
>>
>>51878554
Or you're a psychopath and answered the questions as you think you should, and not as what you would do. I'm not saying you are one for sure, just that it's a high probability or you take alot of molly.
>>
>>51864246
This stops the mouse working in xorg
>>
>>51879334
You're fine. You read the questions, so imagine what kind of person would be "normal" and be happy you're not some blubbering emotional train wreak.
>>
I could teach you how to make runescape bots but meh
>>
>>51882654
>entering random commands people post on 4chin
>>
>>51876952
>Is there a bit about empathy for animals?
Yes of course there is dumbass.

Take the test. https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/
I want to see how much of a psychopath you are.
>>
Don't download ram, it doesn't work.
>>
>>51883000
>https://psychology-tools.com/empathy-quotient/
i got a 15. im not a robot but i might be an asspie
>>
File: 4L_8wqPqbYX.png (117 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
4L_8wqPqbYX.png
117 KB, 640x1136
>>51864919
it's a meme among my friends that I can't pass autism tests online
>>
>>51864744
This. Habanero for the win.
>>
File: congrats assburger.png (76 KB, 604x582) Image search: [Google]
congrats assburger.png
76 KB, 604x582
>>51883370
>>
>>51877991
You are seriously retarted if you think any of this is new to anyone.
>>
>>51865761
>to quickly get the pid of a process
pidof
>to kill a process by name
pkill
>>
No matter how much of a meme it is, Java/Swift will get you set to make shekels off of all the mobile goys.
>>
This morning I was out of color ink and, in a panic, trying to print out lecture notes for open note final. I figured it would just fucking let me print B&W.

The solution was to trick the printer into thinking it had color ink. Those little windows on the cartridges that show you the ink level? It just shines a light through that bitch. Lil square of electrical tape over the window of each color cartridge and WALLA, printed out my notes and looked up every answer for an easy A in ASM.
>>
>>51884628
>on loonix it just werks no matter what
>>
If you have car issues, you can generally find answers from youtube videos. You can avoid paying expensive cost.

Similarly, if you have any problems with your computer, a quick google search usually nets you a quick answer.
>>
>>51877991
I appreciate the effort anon.
Not even being sarcastic.
>>
>>51884863
Screenshot this people
>>
>>51864739
Or just give it --noconfirm
>>
File: Screenshot_XF86.png (65 KB, 452x546) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_XF86.png
65 KB, 452x546
>>51873011
It works. Thanks!

>>51876623
>You actually have pretty low chances of contracting HIV
>chances are in single digit percentage
Would not risk it, friend.

>>51877952
Pasta is technology

>>51877991
>keyboard keys which are non-standard, like volume knobs, usually won't work in linux
Works for me. Except for the middle mouse button click...
>>
Where do you guys 3.14rate? KAT and Pirate Bay is kill cuz NSA and copycat sites.

Where can I get muh torrents withought memeware?
>>51872961
I agree with this anon.
>>
>>51878190
Good eye mate
>>
>muh keyboard rate
>xset r rate 250 50
why are the hell are default keyboard repeat rate on most gnu/linux distros so slow?
>>
>>51864097
the cock.li Mumble server is full of unwelcoming bastards
>>
> Your Empathy Quotient score was 14 out of a possible 80.
> Scores of 30 or less indicate a lack of empathy common in people with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrome.
>
> Higher scores indicate greater levels of empathy.

At this high score, maybe I belong outside of /g..
>>
If you need to get your windows key working on a new machine, but it was registered on the old build, WIN+R, then run "slui 4". Don't have to talk to a human on the phone to fix that shit this way, just type numbers for a robot. Works at night too, unlike lazy human tech support.
>>
>>51864097
Learning LISP will make you a far better C++ programmer
>>
Averaging two ints in C is better left to professionals. Use a library for it instead.
>>
>>51886491
>Learning LISP will make you a far better programmer

FTFY.

Funny thing: just like weightlifting makes boxers better boxers, weightlifting isn't boxing.
>>
How to repair "grub rescue>" from a live system

1. mount your system partition to a folder, for example /mnt/system
2. go to /mnt/system
3. mount some stuff
mount proc -t proc proc/
mount sysfs -t sysfs sys/
mount udev -t devtmpfs dev/

If you keep a separate /boot partition mount that to /mnt/system/boot !!!!!
4. time to chroot into your installed system, replace /bin/bash with the shell of your choice if you use something else
chroot /mnt/system /bin/bash

5. Now you are in a console, which works like you were using you normal, installed system. now you may re-install grub
grub-install /dev/sda

Replace sda if needed.
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Debian and Debian derivative users can use update-grub2
6. exit the chroot shell and reboot. Grub should work as intended. You might not see your secondary operating systems in it's list, run grub2-mkconfig or update-grub2 when booting up your installed system
>>
Stop constantly killing apps on your Android phone. It takes more battery to start it from storage than to just resume from RAM.
>>
>>51886359
If you start asking questions it becomes more like >>>/g/sqt/
>>
Use hot cheetos as a fork/food pick up thing with your chicken cup noodles

enjoy the red broth at the end
>>
>>51877991
>in linux terminology, the "windows" key is referred to as "super" (took me for fucking ever to figure this out). also, touching keyboard keys which are non-standard, like volume knobs, usually won't work in linux and can lead to interface issues.
You can use xev (xorg tool) to know which event produce the key or mouse button or things produce and then bind them wit xbindkeys for example to use them with
>amixer set Master 5%+ unmute
for example and things
>>
>>51882728
I already knew what it did
>>
>>51886395
lol
>>
>>51883000
I got 55 out of 80
>>
>>51884863
The motto of my life is - Google the shit out of the problem before paying someone else to fix it.
>>
File: download any stream.webm (3 MB, 1680x1048) Image search: [Google]
download any stream.webm
3 MB, 1680x1048
>>51864097
>>
File: PokerGame_EQ.jpg (259 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
PokerGame_EQ.jpg
259 KB, 1024x768
>>51883002
dude ive downloaded 400gb of ram, im running 416gb of ram right now its amazing
>>
>>51890067
Unfortunately, there are websites where this doesn't work because it sends segments of a video that are stitched together by the video player. Someone would need to make a program to get around this.
>>
>>51890954
You should have seen the thread where a guy was showing off his terabytes of memory in his desktop. He was actually using RAID SSDs as the swap space and calling it RAM.
>>
File: IMG_20151215_184641.jpg (2 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151215_184641.jpg
2 MB, 4160x3120
IKEA RAST night table makes for a great 6U or 8U rack.
You just have to screw in rack strips.
>>
>>51864803
Unfortunately for you, the fact that you're asking this implies some some things about you that would exclude you from the "nice guy" category

...and the answer is "yes"
>>
>>51891100
mobile browsers can't understand that shit though, that's why you change your browser's user agent to say you're on a phone. Then the website will send you the regular video or it wont support mobile.
>>
>>51879622
>Colitis
tfw i was diagnosed with it, then Chrons, then changed my lifestyle to something less stressful (doing a degree at halfspeed, no jobs) stopped taking the meds and the symptoms went away.
>>
>>51891349
That is untrue. They build up nice guys through their own prejudice. If i think being kind is nice ( by being kind to all ) they think of a way to make kind coincide with a manner through which they can continually curtail energies towards something more or less like a puppy of their own that can turn into a snarling dog upon request. Women arent human, you see. They are animals for the most part. Little conservation but enough memory to fool anyone that only needs to pay attention on a week to week basis.
>>
@for /f %i in ('dir /b /s *.txt') do @find "keyword" %i

That cmd.exe command searches all text files in the current directory and all subdirectories for the word "keyword", displays the names of all the text files, and display all (if any) lines in each text file that contain "keyword".
If you want to save the output of that command:
@for /f %i in ('dir /b /s *.txt') do @find "keyword" %i >> something.txt

If you want to have a truly minimalistic desktop, without any bullshit icons:
Step 1: Add ".LNK" to your PATHEXT environment variable.
Step 2: Copy file shortcuts of your favorite applications to your Windows folder.
Step 3: Memorize the names of the shortcuts you just created.
Step 4: Clean up your desktop.
From now on, whenever you want to use the applications, just press WIN+R, type the name of the shortcut, and press enter.
>>
When in doubt, StackOverflow.
>>
>>51892877
and yet you want them, those dumb asshole creatures, based on hormones and evolution.

surely YOU aren't an animal for the most part :^)
>>
>>51870392
he actually answered the question really well, he just didn't go into specifics. but you also didn't really ask for specifics

you asked a generalized question, he answered you generally as well

pls lurk and learn
>>
>>51879432
Doesn't the middle mouse click do the same thing?
>>
>>51893848
i want one, not the hive. My point mostly is that they twist the meanings of things much like you are attempting right now. My point un regards to the animals quib was that of the conservation issue and what is deemably the cost of it. They lose a regard for empathy and seek solace in treachery.
>>
>>51893903
Only in linux, and you have to keep it highlighted. So it's rather using the pointer to the buffered string stream rather than the full clipboard buffer. Where the string stream is the highlighted portion.
>>
>>51893848
also, using the word evolution that way makes you sound retarded.
>>
>>51883000

How would I know without a link to the test? It wouldn't be the first biased, pants-on-head retarded "test" I've seen.

Score: Your Empathy Quotient score was 35 out of a possible 80.
>>
File: GIF.gif (873 KB, 564x419) Image search: [Google]
GIF.gif
873 KB, 564x419
>>51879722
>>51880914

Huh, weird.
>>
>>51890067
>>51891373
I knew the first part, I'll have to try changing my user agent sometime. Thanks.
>>
sudo !!
>>
history | awk 'BEGIN {FS="[ \t]+|\\|"} {print $3}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr | head

Prints a sorted list of the most used commands.
>>
>>51881477
Why? Isn't that a good skill?
>>
>>51864739
Also, for scripts just pipe "yes" to your command, it spams y to stdin
>>
>>51893353
>@for /f %i in ('dir /b /s *.txt') do @find "keyword" %i
what's wrong with findstr
also, I've always wondered, what is the meaning the the '@' character in batch scripts?
>>
>>51882715
I'm interested. Any good resources to learn?
Thread replies: 211
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.