[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anybody else fall for the silicon valley meme? >work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5
File: 1422128123810.jpg (21 KB, 604x440) Image search: [Google]
1422128123810.jpg
21 KB, 604x440
Did anybody else fall for the silicon valley meme?

>work 80 hours a week kucked by a venture capitalist
>90% of startups have meme ideas and are doomed to failure
>make good money but it all goes to paying rent on a single bedroom in a house full of nerds
>male:female ratio is fucked it's impossible to get laid or a gf unless you're a turbo alpha male
>H1B visa holders can replace you at any moment for half the price
>>
>meme meme meme XD

holy shit kill yourself
>>
>>51863441
nope staying in florida

thankfully its easy to get a job
with remotely any experience you can outplace students with ease

then H1Bs still come to bite everyonce in a while

i built a companies entire digital being, then git canned and offered $50 to teach the indians how to code because they couldnt ssh to the server.

i refused the $50 and told him to go back home.
>>
>>51863441

Well who the fuck told you to work there?

Learn from it and go someplace else - if nothing else, either get some thicker skin to ignore the Californian superficiality or go to someplace else.
>>
>>51863441
>work 80 hours a week

I'd rather kill myself than work more than 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
>>
>>51863441
Yeah, I work at a VC backed startup in SF and pay $2400/mo on a studio apartment.

The rent is a lower percentage of my income than it was working outside the bay because salaries are so inflated.

Don't plan on staying there forever, just while I'm young.
>>
>>51865248

>Americans working more than 25 hours a week

I never believe this when I hear people talk about that sort of thing, but I know it is true. I just don't see how you would have time to enjoy life or learn new skills working that much.
>>
>work reasonable hours for a startup that's funded by VCs but not "kucked", whatever nebulous criteria that is
>chose not to accept offers from companies that described themselves as "X for Y!"
>rent is admittedly too high
>meet women all the time; being neither a faggot, an asperg with intense social anxiety, nor a neckbeard puts me ahead of 90% of other guys
>My value is in quality, not zombie manpower, so I'm not concerned about the viability of replacing me with 3 foreigners who don't know what they're doing.
>>
>>51863441
>not texas or washington

you fucked up
>>
>>51865491
you don't even get enough time to look for a better job. you have to use sick days to go to interviews.
>>
>>51865491
You need to understand it's more they are AT work for 80 hours a week rather than working for 80 hours a week. They are just scared of being fired they never take sick days or go home, but they still don't actually do much shit when they're at work.
>>
It is hilarious to have a look at all those "start-ups". Really crazy how people spend all their time and money into one stupid idea or innovation which won't ever be successful. What is the deal behind that?
>>
> 40 hours a week maximum. Work longer consistently and the project manager tells you to go home
> Salary, so no overtime pay; company just doesn't want you to burn out and wants you to maintain a healthy life
> Unlimited time off; no need to clear it managers, just your own team.
> Bonuses and presents given if you read technical books, attend conferences, contribute to open source projects, or otherwise learn new things
> Social events like waffle breakfast, chili cook off, board game nights, etc held for fun. No obligation to attend.

I love my job. Midwest USA.
>>
>>51865771
If you demonstrate a semi-viable idea, have users, data, etc... then you stand to be acquired by a bigger company looking to consume all potential competitors.

Snapchat turned down a 3 billion dollar acquisition offer from Facebook. A lot of people are happy to take an offer for 1% of that and peace out.
>>
>>51866147
That sounds so fun. My co workers are 20 years older than me and ain't got no time for any of that.

I want a dev team who also plays competitive games regularly so we can play against one-another and git gud.
>>
>>51865733
This. Other than Amazon, which is a masochistic circlejerk of who can kill themselves the fastest, start ups are usually very laid back places where developers will get up from their desk to play Wii Sports or Street Fighter, or go downstairs to the sushi restaurant below the office and have a snack, or go out to the balcony and drink a beer. Then go back to work.

Silicon valley is filled with ambitious 20-somethings who meld work and pleasure together, living in flats 20 minutes away, rather than family men with kids and a house in suburbia.
>>
>>51866335
We hire mainly through internships, so we bring people on only if we know, after working with them for a while, that they're good (and honest) enough that they can be trusted with that level of autonomy and that they fit with our culture.
>>
>>51866147
In Germany most modern mid-size companies are like that.
>>
>>51866438
It's probably true here too; horror stories come from big, soulless corporations where everyone hates everyone and companies run by sociopaths
>>
File: 129038579238045.gif (469 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
129038579238045.gif
469 KB, 480x228
>>51866438
>Germany
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/10/germany-asylum-seekers/77082780/
>>
>>51866486
Thats why I'm currently preparing to get away from Germany and move to another country. The bigger problem is that politicians here are not able to look into the future. Now they talk about how great it is that there are so many refugees here because we need them for easy jobs. They are too stupid to realize that in 10 years there won't be any easy jobs because of automation.
>>
File: 1450045487009.jpg (70 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
1450045487009.jpg
70 KB, 640x638
>>51866147
tfw an MD.
tfw hospital from being my second home has become my 1st home.
>>
>>51866470
Great option though if you can convince everyone to leave you alone and be autonomous. Then you can basically jerk off in your office and no one will find out.
>>
>>51866553

>Surgeon Assistant
>Do a 12 hour shift because that is routine
>Coworker takes a day, add 8 hours onto my shift
>Always more bodies than surgeons
>Always blood filling up in the gutter
>Pump team brings some chill music with them
>24 hour work days are a reality

American medicine is amazing... I should be dead by this point.
>>
>>51866358
this is the only post that doesn't seem to have a bone to pick, and reflects my experience with silicon valley better than the other hyperbolic nonsense I've seen in this thread.

silicon valley is a great place to live if you're young, talented, and willing to put in effort to be social (driving 20 minutes to see people is an example of a hurdle that's easy enough to get over if you acknowledge it, but which can easily become non-trivial if you're looking for a lifestyle where you can fall out of bed and be in your favorite hangout/bar).
>>
>>51866559
Eh, the days of software being a job where you could lock yourself in your office and just have pizzas slid under the door every few hours are over. You're going to have to interact with other team members throughout the day, but pick a stodgy enough company and you can probably keep that to <1minute conversations.
>>
>>51866601
>American medicine is amazing
well i'm a europoor.
It seems like it's a common problem

when i have a 15 minutes to take a nap i always dream of becoming an astronomer

tfw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTtErDuejl8
>>
>>51866647
You just need to be a dev in a non-software world.
>>
>>51866687
>You just need to be THE dev in a non-software world.
Fixed. If you're a cog in a dev team, you can't be a cave bear. If you do things solo, or if you're part of a team but you do one discrete thing (DBA, for instance) then you can lurk it up like the neckbeards of old.

I knew someone like that at an internship I worked at. He was the dedicated Oracle guy; he did database administration and nothing else. You consulted him when you had a database question and never otherwise. We never say him eat lunch in the common area, we never saw him in meetings unless they were relevant to the database, and since he got there at the crack of dawn it was rare to ever see him come in the building.
>>
>>51866553
>>51866601
man, that's tough
in your opinion, how would technology help you? better visualization tools? better monitoring tools, as in, automated tools?
I would love to help doctors, patients and hospitals in general, but I have no idea how it should be done... and I have no way of doing it, anyway.
>>
>>51863441
anytime a normie says this is a good idea you know its saturated and that shit is a sad joke. its where uncreative asians overachievers go to die, designated street shitting subcontiental h1bs excluded of course.
>>
>>51863479
>teach indians how to into jobs that used to pay good
this is what my dad does for a living now that hes retired it makes me lol. boomers s mh t bh d ad
>>
>>51866819
>not getting your oracle certs periodically and cruise controlling your way thru life
>>
>>51866838
its very easy to get a desktop support job at a hospital and if youre ambitious and smart it doesnt mean you are stuck being a box jockey for the rest of your life.
>>
>>51866838
A drug that once stealthily injected into a drunkard's body will bring him painful death the next time he drinks more than one beer.

as an a&e those useless fucks compromise majority of our patients.
its hard to not feel a deep hatred for them

seriously
>>
>>51863441

that's what happens when you live in a 3rd world country with few worker protections. If you lived in a proper country companies couldn't fire you without just cause, would need to pay severance if laying you off, would be open to lawsuits if they laid you off only to rehire the position at a cheaper rate, must pay overtime if working more than 8 hours/day or 40 hours/week, must offer vacation time, etc.

Enjoy your kek country though.
>>
>>51866147
>midwest
enjoy being bored out of your skull during all that off time
>>
>>51866949
sounds like you should definitely be in the medical field
>>
>>51866943
well, I suppose I'm smart, but not ambitious. the problem is that I live in a shitty country in which, if you don't have a paper saying "you graduated from X in Y university", no one cares about you.
anyway, from what I've read, medical IT stuff is a pain in the ass because of regulations. and I'm no expert, at all.

>>51866949
>A drug that once stealthily injected into a drunkard's body will bring him painful death the next time he drinks more than one beer.
doesn't something like that exist already? I've heard that alcoholics take some drugs that will make them unable to drink... because if they do, it causes some ugly effects, or something. is this true?

>stealthily
well... research on how the CIA kills people? guess they know a few things about this

anyway, looks like a social problem that won't go away anytime soon :(
>>
>>51867017
Most so-called interesting places generally require that you spend money to do something interesting. Unless you happen to make a lot of money, that's a sure-fire way to be on the rat race's treadmill until you die.

Being in the mid west does not mean that there is nothing to do. There's only nothing to do if you have an undeveloped mind or if you just happen to only like those things that cost money.
>>
>>51867165
i've lived in the midwest for over 15 years, there's literally nothing here. all people here do is drink.
>>
>>51866838

In order to make American medicine better, we need to first fix how education is dealt. I was top of my class for SA and it was still a pisser to get the credentials. It becomes extremely exclusive as you enter the Master's Degree fields and there is little reason behind it other than, "Mah prestigious school!" I really hate how hard they make most of these schools when the work is not nearly as damning.

Though, from what I have seen in France and Italy, there is hardly ever enough staff to deal with the heaps of bodies.
>>
>>51866917
You'll have to find somewhere that keeps DBA far removed from development. Go for healthcare: record keeping is the end all and be all of healthcare IT.
>>
>>51867158
>doesn't something like that exist already?
disulfiram.
it causes profuse sweating, nausea, vomiting.
just like poisoning.

the problem is that it's implanted under the skin and the patient has to do it voluntarily.

Also I've never had a case, but drunkards that changed their mind just pluck it out from under their skin with a knife.
>>
>Though, from what I have seen in France and Italy, there is hardly ever enough staff to deal with the heaps of bodies.
Just do it like Germany and get tons of doctors, etc. from Syria
>>
>>51867319
>Just do it like Germany and get tons of doctors, etc. from Syria
Britain has been looting its ex-colonies for medical staff since WWII. For the ex-colonies it's a mixed blessing. The medical staff would be very useful at home but the money they send home from Britain is also prized.
When my wife was hospitalised she said the work-visa nurses were wonderful. Much better than the locals.
>>
>>51867319
then there is the cubans, too
>>
>>51867165
That's part of the appeal of being a dev in the bay area. Sure your rent is expensive and everything fun costs money, but the salaries are so high it doesn't matter if you're not trying to raise a family or own a home.

I got my bay area job through Hired, and they just released this report:
http://get.hired.com/rs/348-IPO-044/images/Hired-State-of-Salaries.pdf
> Austin, TX has highest income adjusted for cost of living
> Starting in SF gets you a better salary everywhere else
>>
File: 1447342793001.jpg (570 KB, 506x1305) Image search: [Google]
1447342793001.jpg
570 KB, 506x1305
>>51867319
omg baka u fucking racist do you expect those women and children to start working after all they have endured?

It's 2015, I mean come on.
>>
fudge off.

My Polynesian Orphan Fart-Graphing Apple Watch App will Change the WORLD!

btw please check out my new frontend JS framework.
>>
>>51867610
waifu.js is my new css framework that provides cute classes to build out pages so kawaii.

install with npm, bower, gulp, grunt, pip, gem

please star this repo
>>
>>51867880
but does it use angular, ember, jquery and node.js for unclear reasons?
>>
No.

I work in business development for a tech company, in Canada.

It's a mix of marketing, testing new products, limited amount of web dev programming, programming in our proprietary OS.

35-40 hours a week. Show up between 9 - 9 30, leave 5 - 5 30, $50k, no after hours bullshit, side business in free time.
>>
Nope. Living in the Midwest working remotely for one of the big software companies. Living in a large house with a $900/mo mortgage while my SF coworkers travel over an hour to work each day while living in $3000/mo apartments.
>>
I do some jobs on freelancer.com. Work for like 2 hours a day and usually earn like 3 times the average salary in my country.

I should start paying into my pension fond.
>>
>>51863441
>work/live in silicon valley
>heart of downtown san jose
>Ops manager with no formal education
>get guapped out compared to the rest of the world
>still feel broke as shit

I pay 1300 for a studio apt, making 60k a year.

But damn I love life out here.
>>
>>51865491
I work 40 hours in an office and another 40 hours from home
I still have a shit ton of hobbies. You just need to learn to manage your time you fucking slacker.
>>
>>51868089
Get back to me when you have a wife/girlfriend and a kid.
>>
>Silicon Valley tech worker
>work in vidya
>make $75k annually
>full benefits and shit
>lunches and breakfast every day
>vidya if I ever need to take a breather
>job is more reactionary, so work on my own projects
>fun place to work, everyone is about my age and likes vidya, so plenty of people I associate with
>they rented out a theater for us to see The Force Awakens when it comes out

My rent is $1200 a month, but I live about an hour drive away. Frankly, I make enough that I can save and still have enough to buy myself a few nice things every month.

The only thing missing from my life is love...and that's something that I'll never fill ;_;
>>
>>51868089
I wish I could sleep less, but I feel like shit every time I don't get around 8 hours.
Always feel like I don't have enough time after work to do anything significant so I usually end up doing nothing but refreshing leddit and watching youtube.
>>
>>51867006

I live in a third world country and have all of that. OP must live in a really shitty country.
>>
>>51868187
>>Silicon Valley tech worker
>>make $75k annually
Holy fuck, starting salary for a developer in SF is $120,000, you are getting keked HARD.
>>
>>51868599
Nah, I'm not a dev. I'm a lowly social engineer. I'm not very smart with coding and stuff, but I script okay. I also started my career pretty late.

To be honest, I turned down a six figure security engineer promotion to work this one. I really don't regret my choice, I hated the last company I worked for.
>>
>>51868684
>social engineer
What is this? I've never heard it; sounds like memery, and DEFINITELY sounds like something that shouldn't be using the word "engineer".

Engineer is not a word you can stick on the end of anything to make it sound cool: it has a defined meaning.
>>
>>51867226
its also the only growth industry
>>
>>51868886
he's in infosec, I'd guess
>>
Is it possible to get a job in Silicon Valley and then move back to Podunk, Kentucky with a remote job and make California money while spending Kentucky cost of living? It costs like $500/month to rent a two story house here but the salaries are really low too, like 35k-40k for entry level software developer.
>>
>>51869369
Unlikely. Most SF companies are forcing people to go in office at least x times a week for 'social' reasons. Like engineers really give a fuck. Unless you are cream of the crop, 'I get shit done 5 times faster than you' guy, they won't let you work remotely.
>>
>>51868183
Im engaged and I have a son in a different state.

Fuck off
>>
>>51868936
he works in gamedev so he's probably just the twitter jockey or someone that tests peoples reaction to the product and how to improve it. aka useless
>>
>>51863441
>moving to California
>ever
you did this to yourself, anon.
>>
>>51863460
This
>>
>>51863441
My company is in San Mateo, but I work remotely from FL. I get a california salary with no state income taxes.

I also get to visit the home office expenses paid for a week every month.

Florida is terrible and I love california. But moving there would be financial suicide
>>
>>51865491
The only people in America who work <= 25 hours a week are college students. And poor people.
>>
>>51863479
>I built a company's entire digital being
>totally forgot the kill switch
That's what you get for making yourself replaceable.
>>
>>51863460
/g/ and /sci/ are infested with this shit. Fuck everyone who uses the word "meme" in this shitty way.

I hope OP kills himself too
>>
>>51872015
I do both full time work and 18 credits at college, quite a few of my peers do the same.
>>
>>51863441
>Falling for the fell for the meme meme
>>
>>51863460
twitter/facebook/google "engineer" detected

having fun working for a meme company?
>>
>>51872225
Full time work means 40 hours sweetie
>>
>>51863441

>be me
>be a long time ago (bottom of Dot Com bust, in fact)
>move from AZ to CA, stay with sister in SF
>find job within a month
>GPS navigation on the PocketPC
>they have one Indian kid who hacked together a REALLY shitty demo
>all it does is read data from the GPS and tell you how close you are to a single, static intersection they hardcoded
>take it from that to a full-blown navigation system in two months
>CEO is literally a pill-popping freak
>abusive asshole, treats people like shit
>makes promises, doesn't keep them
>drops hints about, at some arbitrary point in the future, offering stock options
>drops hints about a big holiday party
>party doesn't happen
>begrudgingly allows people to stay home for Thanksgiving (bitches non-stop about it)
>CEO bitches that we're not working hard enough
>I'm already there at least 12 solid coding hours per day
>he wants us there on weekends
>I refuse
>product is finally working, it's a solid alpha, not quite beta quality
>CEO announces that all pay will be based on sales
>i.e. no sales, nobody gets paid
>this is maybe two weeks before X-mas
>I walk out

I later heard that the CEO was bitching about how lazy and disloyal American engineers are. What a fucking joke.

Silicon Valley is full of nutcases like these. He made something like $29 million doing something related to electrical engineering. I later heard that he got that by completely fucking over his entire team at the original company. No surprises here.

I worked for another "startup" later. They were just a small, privately held company that used the "startup" tag to sound cool and try to convince engineers to work more hours for free. When I told the PM that he needs to schedule time for us to work on additional product ideas that he was vaguely interested in, he told me flat out, "no, you're supposed to stay late to work on things that you want to see in the product."

Startups are a complete joke. Stay far, far away from them.
>>
>>51872876

BTW, the one exception to the "stay away" rule is if it's:

1) A true passion project for you. i.e. a specific thing that YOU want to make a reality and

2) You are one of the founders. Pretty much everyone outside of the founders gets fucked in the stock option department.

Also, regarding #2, the VC's are getting really creative with the deep dickings they're giving, *even to the fucking founders*. Bunch of egomaniac, lucky shitheads who are out to fuck over anyone and everyone to make the three comma club.
>>
>>51869692
>I have a son in a different state.

Heh. You sure showed him.
>>
>>51863460
>>51871971
>>51872151
samefag, no one cares that you get vaginal diarrhea when someone doesn't respect the word may may, fuck off :'^)
>>
>>51863460
This sm h tbqh f am
>>
>>51863460
Haha you kekfag, calling people who call things a meme a meme is such a meme in 2ksqrt(225).
>>
>>51867510

I'm just about to move out to Palo Alto.

I'm 23, got a Master's in CS, and have three years experience (only 25 hrs/week during the semester) at an eyetracking startup, plus my GPA is above a 3.8. Most of my cool projects are under NDA, but I have a pretty cool personal website.

How long do you think it would take me to get a job in SC with that on a resume? Moving out there during the Summer and I need an idea of how much I need to save for the rent.
>>
>>51874054
depends, do you want to work on an instafacetinderyelp clone, or something cool and useful?
>>
>Working anywhere in California
Now I'm getting my master's in computer science, and I fully intend to use this in a well-paying development job, but fuck doing anything in that shit state.

Brotip: There are tech industries in other states, and in other countries.
>>
>Silicon Valley

>if you get a job out of college
+ fantastic salary
- most of it goes to taxes
- a good chunk of what's left goes to rent
+ don't have to pay for food
+ resort level perks
+ smart people everywhere
+ excellent connections
- hours are tough

>if you work for a start up
- insane hours
- relatively shit pay
+ great for your resume

Seriously guys, work for a grown up company and start your own company, unless you literally went to college with the founder.

Get used to being around asians, but if you went to a good college, you probably are used to it.
>>
>>51863441
Speaking of meme ideas...

> You now remember Yo app
> They changed their name to TNI The Net Ltd and released a new app: t.flashpolls.com/ios
> Typos all over the place and sells info to ads via "polls"

Proof I'm not a shill? Remove the /ios from the address above. Just proves the founder of Yo is a faggot.
>>
Just live in a truck in the parking lot and you'll be making mad stacks without having to pay any rent

You can do everything else you need on campus like laundry, shower, gym, food, etc.
>>
>>51875436
>not using the far superior "Bro"
>>
>>51875472
>not sleeping under your desk
>>
>>51872876
Jesus christ... sounds a lot like my boss atm

> be me
> be a political science major who moved from UK to SF
> searched for marketing position
> got internship with the freak's app
> cool app in concept, shit in alpha and beta
> turns out CEO hires no one but interns
> did I mention the internship was unpaid?
> One of my coworkers is raising a kid, getting college degree, AND running away from an abusive husband
> CEO doesn't give a shit; woman's unpaid too
> Later learned he made $8 million before firing all of his interns in his last app
> reluctantly lets me leave for Thanksgiving week
> CEO bitches my work isn't cutting it (for the record I have an MA with distinction in poli-sci and taken courses in marketing)
> Gives me sarcastic reactions to my work despite me working 11-12 hours a day
> app finally works and released... a month after the CEO promised
> CEO cheap as fuck, not willing to pay the $ required to get app off the ground
> Finally gives me the $ required to get app noticed but it'll be too little too late surely

I'm seriously considering cutting my internship short. Should I just bite the bullet and take a librarian position?
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.