[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are iPhone users generally poorer or do iPhone plans simply come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 6
File: 20140829imessagegreen2.jpg (110 KB, 938x657) Image search: [Google]
20140829imessagegreen2.jpg
110 KB, 938x657
Are iPhone users generally poorer or do iPhone plans simply come without an option for unlimited messages usually?
>>
>>51861598
They are just retarded
>>
Most iPhone users are teenage girls and have never even seen a world where SMS isn't unlimited.
>>
>>51861598
The attraction of iMessage is that it works on wifi. On a college campus, sometimes you're in a lecture hall in the middle of a massive building or in a lab in a basement and you have no service, but plenty of wifi.
>>
>>51861598
Usually sms is free and you pay a flatrate for data.
if anything data is more expensive unless you use wifi.

The reason people like the data imessage is it is sent to multiple devices so people can respond if they are using their ipad, macbook or iphone.
>>
>wanting to use unencrypted messaging

top lel
>>
>>51861716
What kind of retard phone can't text over wifi in 2015?
>>
NO GREEN BUBBLES ARE ALLOWED TO TEXT ME.
>>
>>51861729
God forbid the government knows my dinner plans.
>>
>>51861729
this.

PGP or go home.
>>
>>51861737
Can apps like WhatsApp and Telegram send and receive SMS messages to phone numbers?
>>
>>51861737

iPhones, probably.
They try to keep you on iMessage more cause datamining.
>>
>>51861769
use google voice you nig nog.
>>
>>51861782
Is that integrated with hangouts? I use hangouts but afaik I can't message other people who don't also have hangouts unless I have service.
>>
>>51861835
>I use hang outs but I can't do that, is it in hang outs.
Fucking stop posting and buy an iphone.
>>
>>51861852
So you're telling me google has two messaging apps?

My current android phone is broken and I'm on a dumbphone so I can' t test.
>>
>>51861872
Hangouts is outdated, that used to be where you could do that shit it's google voice now.
>>
>>51861729
>American company
>Patriot Act

The messages surely are super secure, just like their iCloud servers.
>>
>>51861716

Another part of the appeal is that anytime you receive an iMessage, it's automatically synced to all Apple devices linked with that Apple ID. Sure, there's things like AirDroid, but all this stuff being native makes it a hell of a lot more convenient.
>>
>>51862015
None of this explains why the fuck they care if other people are using their cancer or not.
>>
>>51862015
literally google voice but later. Good job apple.
>>
Wait a minute, you don't have unlimited SMS in your mobile phone plan? Do you also have calling time limitations?
>>
>>51862122
Apparently iPhone users don't, otherwise they wouldn't complain about the color of a bubble.

Where I live you actively need to seek for a plan without unlimited mesages, which only poorfags or people with prepaid use.
>>
File: ireallyreallyreallylike.gif (2 MB, 639x453) Image search: [Google]
ireallyreallyreallylike.gif
2 MB, 639x453
>>51861598
Most iPhone users are nignogs on subscription.
>>
>>51862355
Everyone is on a subscription literally.
There is no DIY cellphone service.
>>
>>51861835
No different than iMessage, since that can't be used without an apple account AFAIK.
>>
>>51861598
I have unlimited texting but iMessage is nice since I can text my friend in aus and it's free (I'm in the US), also, it's encrypted, also it allows you to send full res images that aren't resized which is really nice.
On top of all that, it's native and works out of the box.
>>
>>51862545
please tell me a messaging app that doesn't work out of the box
>>
>>51862578
Enter in the phone number of an international number and send them a 2mb photo with your stock android messaging app. (it's going to send a shitty resized version of the image btw)
Get back to me with how much that cost you.
>>
>>51862504
iMessage is integrated with standard SMS though. I can send an SMS to someone who doesn't have an iphone (or any apple products) through the messages app on my macbook.
>>
>>51862545
Not working with any other brand is literally the opposite of "working out of the box"
>>
>>51862605
So you don't pay on an iPhone, if you send your friend with a Blackberry a picture across the continent?
>>
>>51862655
Except if I wanted to use iMessage to text someone without it, it'll go through as an SMS. I don't know of anything like for Android
>>
>>51862686
All the people I talk to overseas have iphones because they often need to call or text people overseas as well.
It's just a better system.
>>
>>51862750
So you literally don't have any connection to people overseas without an iPhone? Sounds like you don't text much in the first place, because that's statistically impossible.
>>
>>51862794
>So you literally don't have any connection to people overseas without an iPhone?
I do, but it's more difficult for that reason.
I end up relying on apps like skype which are terrible.
>>
am i the only one who doesn't use sms at all?
for work related stuff i just use email or call people, sometimes cisco jabber (previously webex).

for my personal stuff it's either phone (for irl friends/family/more official contacts), skype (mainly internet friends, some family members living in diffirent countries), steam (internet friends) or email (more official contacts/irl friends if we organize something bigger like bachelor party for someone).
sms is just for receiving confirmation codes from bank/google and tracking info from couriers. i send maybe 2-3 sms myself per year, and usually it's just my email adress.
>>
What poorfag doesn't use a cross-plattform app for texting? If you seriously only use a single messanger then you are only lititing yourself artificially.
>>
File: 1447627832606.gif (372 KB, 499x281) Image search: [Google]
1447627832606.gif
372 KB, 499x281
>>51862382
I feel so sorry for you Americans
>>
I don't get why you guys don't all get Whatsapp. It works on all systems (even Blackberry, WP and Tizen), just uses your contact list's phone numbers and you can even call people using Wifi.
>>
>>51862899
Because it's owned by Facebook and has shitty policies.
>>
>>51862015

Telegram does this.
>>
>>51861598

I have to admit the one thing I miss about iPhones is iMessage.
>>
>>51861779
iMessage is end-to-end encrypted, you dense fuck.
>>
Un bon film ou une série à me conseiller ? Histoire, SF sont mes préférés.
>>
>>51862894
Why? It's everywhere in the world that you are subscribing to get phone service. A contract is a completely different thing from a subscription.
>>
>>51861598
it's very funny how a few people uses apple products to show that they're more wealthy but at the same time they get angry about the cost of some text messages, it's obviously a pretext to justify cheap elitism
>>
File: ep2ufgh7axstfof1bvex.jpg (271 KB, 800x1138) Image search: [Google]
ep2ufgh7axstfof1bvex.jpg
271 KB, 800x1138
>>51861598
I don't get it, why is it funny?
>>
>>51861716
>>51862015
Hangouts does all of these things, plus voice and video messaging. I don't even have to install an app on my computer, since it's all online.
>>
>>51864140
It's not, that's the point of all. Poverty is nothing to joke about.
>>
>>51861769

>implying an iMac has a phone number

They don't send messages to phone numbers but to iCloud accounts and display it in the Messages app with SMS. It's just a UI trick.

You can reply to calls on your iMac because your phone sends your call on your iMac, I suppose either through wifi or cellular data.
>>
>>51862605
Use Telegram, terrorist-grade encryption fuelled by the nazi ideology of two incestuous business angels bros. It's what Daesh terrorists use btw.

>mfw we're in 2050 and some dystopian dictatorship decrypts all messages it has stored on transatlantic wires

Or use xmpp for texting, it's encrypted, you may encrypt it client-side with GnuPG and even Firefox OS has an app for that.
>>
>>51863731

>Hello, what would you advice me as a good movie or TV show ? History, SF are my favorites.

>implying people usually want shitty movies

Blade Runner, Men In Black, House of Cards. But you posted on the wrong board and in the wrong language.
>>
>>51863490
>>51864182
Okay, that's cool but what's the point if nobody uses it? These days, where I live (UK) iPhone has the largest market share (at least among the younger portion of the population). Who's gonna bother with downloading some additional apps when literally EVERYONE you know has iMessage already preinstalled on their phones?
>>
It's a status symbol. Blue means you have an iPhone. Green means you have something that's not an iPhone, which could be anything ranging from a mid-tier Android phone to a throwaway burner that drug dealers use.

In the whole spectrum of what green could mean, only a small cutout - the few flagship Android phones that'll still get updates 2 years after they're released - represent anything good. The other 99.999% of products supporting SMS but not iMessage are trash.

What you wear, how you walk, talk, and project yourself all influence how people perceive you. The same is true of how you communicate over digital media. If you finish your texts with a period it looks like you're upset. If you can't do iMessage it looks like you're probably poor.

This is fundamentally a social thing. If you can't accept that this is the way culture has hashed out, don't come bitching about how it doesn't make sense, because I don't want to be your counselor. I'm just explaining what's going on in people's heads.
>>
>>51861835
Hangouts can be used from your Google account on phones or computers via web browser. You can also set Hangouts to send and receive SMS and MMS messages. It's pretty convenient.
>>
I just use Facebook Messenger and so does everyone I know. Why would you use sms anymore?
>>
>>51864856
A lot of people these days are uninstalling Facebook and/or Messenger from their phones as a way of limiting the number of creepy guys that hit on them. SMS/iMessage is a more direct line to someone.
>>
>>51864726
Because if half of your friends don't have iMessage, then have fun explaining them why you don't awnser them without looking like a faggot.
>>
>>51864763
>This is fundamentally a social thing
Is it? It appears to be an American problem, because nowhere in the world did I see that being an issue before.
>>
>>51864896
Why would I not answer? Texts and iMessage apps are sent from the same app, it automatically sends a proper text when the person I'm messaging doesn't have an iPhone. Otherwise the Messages app sends and receives imessages. There's virtually no difference between the two except for the colour of the bubble.
>>
>>51864684
Well, thanks a lot buddy, I mistook threads, it was for a thread on /int/.
>>
>>51864998
What about group messages?
What about sending pictures or videos to people without an Iphone?
What about voice messages?
>>
>>51864922
What are you saying? That something isn't social if it's specific to one culture?

You understand "social" means culturally specific, right?
>>
WHATSAPP

Literally only Amerikeks give a shit about Imessage.
>>
>>51862813
WhatsApp.
>>
>>51864879
>A lot of people
That's a pretty random number probably pulled out of your ass anon, nice.
>>
>>51865591
Just saying that I never heared that this shit is a porblem somehow overseas. Practically every country I visited had a different messanger that all people flocked to. Only the USA has the stigma of "kek get an iPhone or GTFO".
>>
>>51865656
it's pretty well-documented that younger people are gravitating toward snapchat, instagram, etc... to socialize. if you haven't been seeing or even reading about this, i can try to help you, but i honestly don't think i'm up for investing that much time in such a troubled case.
>>
>>51865701
>every country I visited had a different messenger that all people flocked to
this is exactly the point. every culture has some preferred messenger. Try going to Korea and not using Kakao. You'll get even more focused and intense derision than you would in the US for not using iMessage.

You just seem to feel that "kek get an iPhone or GTFO" is some unique thing that only Americans do. It's not.
>>
>>51865706
>it's pretty well-documented
That's a pretty well sourced information you probably pulled out of your ass anon, cool.
>>
>>51865749
here you go. I did a very brief google search, didn't read any of the articles (or re-read the ones in the cases where I had read them before), but surely one of these will be from a domain or source you find nominally acceptable.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-teens-are-tiring-of-facebook/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/02/21/why-teens-are-leaving-facebook-its-meaningless/
http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/3-reasons-teens-dont-think-facebook-is-cool-anymore.html/?a=viewall
http://business.time.com/2014/01/15/more-than-11-million-young-people-have-fled-facebook-since-2011/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gyro/2014/01/09/forbes-where-are-teens-hanging-out-in-2014-hint-its-not-facebook/
http://theconversation.com/logging-out-why-young-people-love-to-hate-facebook-36358
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/10/teenagers-messenger-apps-facebook-exodus
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/teens-leaving-facebook/story?id=20739310

If you need more spoon feeding, please ask someone else.
>>
>>51865745
You don't get the point, every messanger in a foreign country was one that you simply download and use. Now try downloading iMessage before your trip, I dare you.
>>
>>51865811
Nice goal posting move anon, from "a lot of people" to just "teens".
Good one.
>>
>>51861598
Was the cover really so bad that it was funny. I dont get it.
>>
>>51865811
All these stories are fucking garbage. Facebook isn't going anywhere. As much as I wish it would these stories are all clickbait.

Fuck King Kuck Zuck will just buy whatever these teens are using next.
>>
>>51865837
I said "a lot of younger people" in the most recent post. If you chose to misread that, or to interpret the earlier "a lot of people" comment in a way that precludes it from being true under any circumstances, then you've made a choice at the outset not to be open to discussion.

Being a faggot doesn't make you look clever, nor does ending a post with the undue neckbeardy confidence of "Good one".
>>
>>51865904
You win, good one anon.
>>
>>51865886
the stats don't lie, nor does the fact that Facebook bought Whatsapp and Instagram to reclaim younger users who were migrating to other platforms. They wanted to buy snapchat as well, but the CEO rejected the offer.

I can't fathom how this is a controversial point among people on 4chan, but I guess I overestimate /g/ sometimes.
>>
Cuz they want to milk as much money as they can from Apple users
>>
>>51864182

Android users are too lazy for use Hangouts, they still in the small niche of Whatsapp
>>
>>51865951
What. Facebook isn't going anywhere. Whatsapp was bought for the curries not young people, most Americans don't even use that shit.
>>
It's not about muh messaging fees for them, it's about shitting on people for being 'poor' so they can feel rich or part of some exclusive club.

I can't believe /g/ is actually so autistic that almost nobody here can see that.
>>
>>51865969
iMessage is free for apple users.

Apple wanted better features than SMS afforded - for instance, something that allowed longer messages, rich media, and delivery/read receipts - and at the time there was no good system offering that. Whatsapp and all these other apps didn't exist (or weren't any good) when iMessage came out.

Apple had - and continues to have - no incentive to make this work for other systems. If this is another feature that makes their products compelling to use and buy, then why shouldn't they be entitled to capitalize on that? Why are they obligated to democratize access to free services that make owning an Apple product compelling to some people?

Bitching about this is like bitching about highly profitable corporations. That's the way our economy and society is structured, that they seek profit above all else. Don't begrudge an animal for killing your house cat when its whole existence is about finding food to eat.
>>
>>51866083
>Whatsapp and all these other apps didn't exist (or weren't any good) when iMessage came out.

Are you sure about that? If i remember well Whatsapp came out a long time before iMessage.
>>
... inb4 404
>>
>>51864140
She looks just nude and painted red I guess
>>
File: ITS_A_MEME_YA_DIP.jpg (27 KB, 984x691) Image search: [Google]
ITS_A_MEME_YA_DIP.jpg
27 KB, 984x691
>>51863490
>telegram
>>
>>51866154
it was out before, but it wasn't very good at the time.
>>
holy shit lagdroid sperglords always come with shit like this against us. stay poor
>>
>>51867612
>cant even afford mobile plans that offer unlimited sms
>call other people poor
>>
>>51867875
huh? what third world cesspool do you live in? I literally pay £15 for unlimited 4G and texts and 300 minutes (I don't call much). So yeah, stay poor.
>>
>>51867897
>4G
>not LTE
>not unlimited calls
>calls others poor
The fuck are you doing lmao
>>
>>51864856
>>51864879

I use Telegram with people
not for the "secure" shit, but just because it just works
>>
>>51867929
K

>>51867946
I never knew telegram was popular. Might give it a try considering whatsapp is cancer these days.
>>
>>51867967
you understand that these things all operate almost purely on network effect, right? if your contacts don't use telegram, "giving it a try" is just an exercise.
>>
>>51861745
Underrated post
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.