[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Data-security
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
I have to do a Project with kids (~9th grade i think) about data security.
The problem is: I am not sure where to start, as it is a really big field.
So i come to you:
>If you were a pupil (i am sure some here still are), what would you want to learn about data-security?
My ideas until now are:
- let the pupils google themselves
- Facebook-data-security
- secure passwords
- what is privacy and what stuff dont you want to expose to the internet?

just post ideas, i will look through all of them.
>>
File: RMS-Richard-M-Stallman.jpg (126 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
RMS-Richard-M-Stallman.jpg
126 KB, 1024x682
Teach them about free software
>>
>>51860367
Important of understanding firewalls. Blocking and allowing the correct application.

Smart decission with signing up for email stuff from website.

>Security issues with using facebook to log into non facebook sites.

>What protects us from evil. Policies, Laws.
>>
>>51860367
tell them not to use internet... they will fuck up no matter how much you try to explain them what to do
>>
>>51860367
1) Give them each a USB stick with a trojan
2) Create and rent your own botnet
3) Live off the botnet and quit your shitty substitute teacher job
>>
PGP encrypted emails

I'm not sure if 16 year olds (who don't give a shit about technology? I dunno) will want to understand. If these are pupils from a computer course then absolutely
>>
>>51860367
At that age, they probably use the same penis reference as the password to every account they have and will post pictures of themselves smoking weed to Facebook without a second thought.

Teenagers have no comprehension of privacy, and no comprehension of consequences for future actions. Try to communicate to them that data is worth protecting, and that they shouldn't make public incriminating information.

Don't bother trying to tell them posting twerking videos will prevent them from getting a job: they won't care. Teenagers are more concerned with the hairs on their ass then they are their ability to function as an adult. Try to make it relevant to their lives right now.
>>
>>51860472
>PGP encrypted emails
or to be more general: private/public key crypto and signing
>>
>>51860407
this desu senpai
>>
>>51860367
Teach them the rules of thumb when it comes to firewalls.
And what not to post online.
>>
Try to teach them that there's more important things than convenience. Most millennials would install cameras all through their house with a direct line to the police if it meant they could log into Instagram with one fewer click.
>>
>>51860472
>>51860407
good ideas.
>>51860405
fuck gentooooo
>>51860479
>Try to communicate to them that data is worth protecting
yea, but how?
>>
How about you teach them that everything is a botnet, and then tell them that they are slowly getting their freedom taken away from the industry, and the government.

Then, once those little ass holes are crying on the ground after finding out that their lives are meaningless, you then tell them to all install Gentoo, and to start ruining their lives easily.

That's all I can think of on the top of my head.
>>
>>51860721
yup, i'm gonna make them all become fat neckbeards who then go to anonymous to feel as if they had a reason to live.
>>
>>51860367
How important it is to put a pin on a smart phone.

The apps permission requests on install.

Never use basic passwords.

Basic stuff for kids.
>>
>>51860367
Talk about phishing.
>>
>>51861028
>>51860878
i will definitly take this stuff into consideration
>>
right now my plan is:
1.: explain/ let the pupils develop problems with dataprivacy in several fields
2.: the pupils should think of solutions for those problems (e.g. using different passwords for different sites)
3.: compile those solutions into a general guideline on how to behave in the internet and capture those in their booklet/ on paper
what do you think?
>>
thanks for the help guys. it was nice to brainstorm with you.
the thread can die now.
>>
>>51861289
It might help to also explain the benefits of security software (such as Antimalware programs on computers / phones) and downloading safely (explain common executable file types and teach them to be cautious when downloading programs they aren't familiar with or from unknown sites, unofficial app stores, etc).

That ties into protecting data by helping prevent compromised systems.
>>
>>51861537
ill keep that in mind.
>>
>someone that keeps posting stuff like "im having a drink at X" can be a target for home invasion while they are outside

other than this i cant really think of a simple example that kids will understand properly
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.