[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: W10.png (855 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
W10.png
855 KB, 1920x1080
>I'm in IT (MS stack software development specifically)
>Pretty much everything Microsoft is doing with the windows 10 telemetry is on Microsoft.com
>There's a lot of people perpetuating bullshit like "windows captures all your keystrokes!" And "why wont microsoft tell us what they're sending!?"
>There's no fucking conspiracy. The name of the program is "Application Insights" and there is pages of documentation on how it works.
>Its fine if you want to be pissed off that you can't turn it off, but they ARENT stealing your personal info. They ARENT refusing to release information. Its ENTIRELY up to the application developers whether or not they leverage the SDK that collects the information, and all >Microsoft does is proxy the information so they can anonymize/aggregate it
>If anything, its safer than the current methods of telemetry collection implemented by developers because its actually managed. If you think application developers couldn't already access everything you type into your computer, grab your personal Info, your hardware configuration, and even your mouse movements... I've got bad news for you.
>Be smart about the shit you download. Nothing has changed.

Can you fucking kooks give it a rest now?

https://np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3wqcf8/what_does_reddit_perpetuate_that_you_as_an_expert/
>>
https://www.np.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3wqcf8/what_does_reddit_perpetuate_that_you_as_an_expert/cxy9u4p
>>
>>51860098
release the source so we can look at it ourselves, it's that easy.
>>
>>51860098
Sure. ;^)
Going to believe you because reasons.
>>
>>51860098
>leddit
>>
>Also, that patch is just an SDK so your apps actually run if the developer decides to include the telemetry.

>That patch is actually there to help you NOT upgrade, since without it your applications would gradually stop working as more developers leveraged the functionality

>Anyone who chooses to deliberately skip the update is just going to see more and more application compatibility issues as time goes on

This is literal disinformation to get you to give them your keystrokes.
>>
File: jewish-aryan.gif (10 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
jewish-aryan.gif
10 KB, 501x585
>>51860098

Use proprietary software guys, don't worry!
Just trust us! ™
>>
>>51860098
Fuck off Parjeet. Poo in the loo
>>
File: m_lady.jpg (11 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
m_lady.jpg
11 KB, 214x317
>>51860098
What's up Microsoft Employee
>>
If that was true then Microsoft would have communicated it.
>>
>documentation on closed source software
>basically we can do what we please with your pc but at least the parts that don't compromise us as a company is avaliable to public
>literally "we can release the content of your email and all your files if the government asks us" in the EULA
>>
>>51860098
Oh well if some random and anonymous dude on the Internet who claims to work for MS says so, it's must be ok.
>>
Win10 propaganda thread. Sega.
>>
>>51860121
/thread
>>
>>If you think application developers couldn't already access everything you type into your computer, grab your personal Info, your hardware configuration, and even your mouse movements

This is what windows fags have to cope with. Every real OS separates application data from user data via various means (jails, chroot, ACL, ...) and programs only request actually required privileges, but on wangblows the users is at the mercy of the devoloper.
>got problems? Just "Run as administrator" XDDDDD
>>
Just realised /g/ is actually a shilling ground for the FSF...
Think about it, everyone is a shill except Stallman fans right? But who is in the sticky of this thread? What's /g/'s favourite saying?

What if the FSF are just hyping up clickbait stories about big evil Windows 10 to try and get people to install GNU+Linux? Maybe they turned Stallman into a meme on purpose to cover their tracks?

Wow.
>>
If its so harmless why cant i disable it easily ?
>>
>>51860122
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51860121
its not like you would be able to audit the shit yourself, so you would just be relying on someone else to tell you what it does which means unless they follow suit with what you want to hear, you will call them a liar.

anyone with a brain knows windows isnt fucking sending your keystrokes back every fucking 15 minutes

you people talk about how everything will be solved if shit is open source, and how someone will always pick up the slack and look at the code, and then you get shit like bash bug and heartbleed which existed for who fucking knows how long before someone actually disclosed it.
>>
>>51860121
You're crazy enough if you think they want to open source windows, it's one of their biggest source of money.
>>
>>51860475
Because Microsoft now wants to be Google and live off datamined user information that they'll sell and use to display targeted ads with. If users can easily turn it off, they're basically allowing said users to freeload. Google doesn't make it easy to remove all of their data mining from Android ether, the easiest way to do it is install Paranoid Android and that's beyond probably 95% of their userbase.
>>
>>51860098
M8, you're not contributing to the banter in any way, nerd.

This isn't a board for nerds
>>
>>51860525
Shouldn't you be drinking shit water, Bill?
>>
>>51860421

Wow, you figured us out. I get 5 cents every time you fuckers install FREE SOFTWARE
>>
>>51860590
>le shit meme

f*cking epic XD
>>
>>51860571
>crash data
>your hardware, as in if you have a camera, nfc module or mic
>want to be google
Nigga, you just went full baka,
>>
>>51860211
>implying any single M$ employee would receive significant benefits from convincing a bunch of NEETS to use windows
I hope you guys realize that your data is among the least valuable that they collect.
>>
>>51860609
Bollocks, we both know FSF isn't in this for the money. They want computer anarchy so Stallman can relive his MIT days where he could just steal code and "hack" it to make it his own. He and his merry band of autists want to have the freedom to be like
>Ackhsually, I can do this better than you by changing this float into a double and then it will be ALL MINE!
>>
>>51860695
What are you talking about? Telemetry would show that they do nothing but surf /g/ on Firefox, since Linux has literally no other software and freetards have literally nowhere else to go.
>>
>>51860634
This, the reason why they've given out Windows 10 for free is a smart one.
They want everyone to install it so that the Windows app store becomes relevant to developers, then when that is full of nice, juicy apps their phones and tablets will be come about 9001% more attractive.
>>
>>51860634
You do realize that by default Windows collects a whole lot more than than that?

We're talking:
>Your browser history
>Both your local and internet searches
>Literally everything you do with Cortona
>Your emails
>Your physical location data
>Your network data (i.e what wired, WiFi and cellphone networks you connect to and their specifics)
>Your SMS's/texts (if you use WP)
>Your call logs (once again if you use WP)
>>
>>51860758
Which is why it would be completely useless data.

Additionally they'd have fewer computer issues than the everyday person, meaning less bug and crash reports.
>>
>>51860802
that is only if you use internet explorer or a microsoft email

and newsflash: literally everyone collects that phone information smartphone or not
>>
Doesn't MS still phone home encrypted data when you use Skype and stuff like that?

Regardless there is still no reason to trust them, they're not your friends just trying to make a good product for you. They're a business trying to make money.
>>
>>51860803
>they'd have fewer computer issues than the everyday person

Did you miss where they use Failfox?
>>
>>51860802
Most of which can be turned off if you care about it, most people don't.
I for example don't want to get the weather for Massachusetts when I actually live on the other side of the Atlantic.
>>
>>51860827
Google != "Literally everyone else" and even if you leave out the emails browser history, that still leaves a lot of stuff they really have no business collecting from paying customers without their express permission.

The fact that Google has this stuff at the core of their business doesn't make it ok. Monsanto has some really shitty stuff at the core of their business, but that doesn't make what they do ok ether.
>>
>>51860561
Windows revenue is shrinking year on year for the past few years

Azure and servers is what earns the most and is increasing year on year.

Not saying MS will make Windows open source, I doubt that will ever happen but it isn't the big money maker it used to be as nobody pays for an OS anymore.
>>
>>51860838
>Trusting a business like a friend
You're literally the only person in the world who thinks that would ever happen.
>>
>>51860864
Sure, most of it can be turned off, but not all of it and literally the worst thing, i.e the keylogger, is not one of the things that you can turn off.

Simply put: Unless you work in a completely un-networked environment Windows 10 is going to data mine you no matter how much you try to turn off.
>>
>>51860913
> keylogger
There's no such thing in Windows 10!
I'm tired of this meme where you can make up anything you want because
>dahh it's not open sauce!
Well fuck open source, because the source code for Linux is like any Terms and Conditions, no one reads that shit! They just download it and presume they know what it all meant.
>>
>>51860962
>>
>the shill are already spreading lies
Windows is not safe, don't trust them
>>
>>51860913
imo the nanny-OS bs is the worst, making it so you have to modify registry keys etc to do simple customizations. Especially with how they've decided to handle windows update now.

There is no good reason(incompetency is not a good reason) to be using Windows at least on physical hardware in 2015. If you want a nanny-OS for grandma use OSX. If you use windows you're an idiot and likely incredibly unfit to actually discuss the fine points of operating systems.
>>
>>51861036
this, OP is a faggot
>>
For all we know Linux might by the biggest Trojan ever. The source code is so large, no one is going to read the entire codebase before installing it. It's completely unrealistic to think nerds working for free couldn't be bought off by the NSA? Canonical has proven themselves to sway away from FOSS values for money, why not the developers of you favourite obscure distro cooked up in some basement somewhere?
>>
File: Prism_slide_5.jpg (86 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Prism_slide_5.jpg
86 KB, 700x525
>>51860098
Sure...
>>
>>51860962
>inept Windows lusers shill on /g/ for free

:^)
>>
>>51860713
ayy lmao, classic stallman

that's how emacs was developed
>>
>>51861047
open source software is totally safe guys! just look at how quickly the bash bug was detected and fixed!
>>
>>51860144
A program, which doesn't work or even crash because it can't send away its spying-data, isn't worth using anyway.
>>
>>51861036
Yes to improve your dictionary for spell checking. It also says you can disable Input Personalization at any time.
>>
>>51860098
oh thanks, it's not like Microaoft hasn't lied before

>Classic Shell can be perfectly installed on Win10 Preview
>Botnets are on Win10 Preview only, for research purposes, they will go away on official release
>Windows ME is the best OS ever
>>
could someone please post the de-botnet guide?
>>
>>51861091
Yeah, when he realised he couldn't steal anymore he was too scared to start anything else after that piss up with HURD. If it wasn't for pinching Linux, he wouldn't even be talked about today.
>>
>>51861101
Lmao, I love how you latch onto this. Imagine all of the Windows bugs out there because no outside individuals or groups can view the source.

Also look at how far behind Windblows is technologically since nobody can hack on the source, as well as it slowly falling behind in many aspects of computing due it it's closed philosophy. While *nix has taken over phones, servers, supercomputers etc. There is a reason most places that demand security don't use your shitty "Well my game only runs on..." OS. faggot
>>
File: oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif (107 KB, 289x240) Image search: [Google]
oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
107 KB, 289x240
>>51860098
good lord thank you. people are fucking retarded.
>>
>>51860525
In fact, Windows is regularly audited by Businesses and Governments, it isn't like nobody other than Bill himself has access to the source code.
>>
>>51861089
>Somebody told me something on the internet, they didn't provide any proof other than a click bait article
>people don't lie on the internet, do they?
I wouldn't be using ":^)" if I were you.
>>
>>51861101
>C:/Program.exe Files/
Ayyy lmao
>>
>>51861156
why shouldnt i latch onto it? it is the perfect counter example to why retards like yourself think that just because something is open sourced means it is better.

you yourself would never be able to audit the code of something as complicated as windows or linux, so in the end you are just relying on other people to tell you what you want to hear

and windows is still king in enterprise, but since battlestation threads show 95% of people are living with their parents, you wouldnt know that
>>
>>51860802
>You do realize that by default Windows collects a whole lot more than than that
>that by default Windows collects
>that by default
>default
>>
File: free_software.png (55 KB, 1209x798) Image search: [Google]
free_software.png
55 KB, 1209x798
>>51860510
What's wrong with that, anon? :^)
>>
>>51861156
>While *nix has taken over phones, servers, supercomputers
>phones
Only because of Android, and that's only popular because it's free to use and manufactures can dick about it with to work against the user without Google's approval.
>Servers
Again, price. Server hardware is expensive and so is getting a license for each one is even more expensive. Doesn't make *nix the better OS family though.
>Supercomputer
Nope, you got me there. Microsoft really isn't interested in making a single version of Windows for a single machine.
>>
File: XxdzTGt.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
XxdzTGt.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>51861121
>checking a box off in the UX
>implying that does LITERALLY anything at all if the software is proprietary (close-source)
>>
>>51861148
1. Install GNU/Linux
>>
>>51861148
here you go:

install a Linux distribution
>>
>>51861191
It's nowhere near the same amount as *nix, also what you think only neckbeards use *nix? Lots of OSS work has been funded by the government and still is. DARPA etc. *nix is used in serious situations way more than Windows.

>>51861224
Are you really this much of a butthurt windows faggot?

Yeah windows is really commonly used for Workstations and for stuff like AD in businesses. But critical backbone stuff is always *nix, and just because Windblows is used often for workstations does not even come close to meaning it is the best choice. Windows is an inferior OS.

This "debate" is only propagated by inept angry retards such as yourself, because even if you were slightly competent in /g/ related information you would know how stupid your arguments are.

>>51861297
>Doesn't make *nix the better OS family though.
Jesus fuck, get off of /g/ and go read a book you dipshit. Even on the most simple shit like say "nextgen filesystems" Microsoft is just now getting there. While nix has had it for a long ass time.
You're not qualified to discuss operating systems simply because you read a few posts on /g/ and clicked around in a GUI. Come back when you have a clue about advanced technology.
>>
File: CUrcMDmWwAEwpak.jpg large.jpg (70 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
CUrcMDmWwAEwpak.jpg large.jpg
70 KB, 600x850
>>51861156
>*nix
>taken over servers
>>
File: 1450114049524.jpg (104 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
1450114049524.jpg
104 KB, 700x525
>>51861082
and heres the original image
>>
>>51861311
>Downloading something because you presume it's safe because it's "Open Source" and someone on the internet said that means it will always be safe
CS-aimbot1337.exe-tier gullibility.
>>
>>51861345
there is a reason active directory is king, ldap exists on linux but it is nowhere near the level of maturity on windows.

everyone knows linux runs shit like core banking systems, the majority of machines forward facing are windows, because like it or not it works very well for businesses

linux is far from being the majority in any aspect
>>
>>51861392
>implying I use open-source software
>implying I use un-audited software
I use free-software which has gone through thorough code audits. Are you retarded?
>>
>>51861345
I think I am simply because I use operating systems.
>Ferrari's are the best cars every because they are the fastest! You can't talk about cars if you disagree with me!
>Ferraris are shit at everything except going fast
Thank god Windows automatically defrags to compensate, eh? So what else you got?
>Tip: "it's open source!" is already taken.
>>
About to install Windows on a new computer.
Does Win 8.1 have this botnet too? I'm kind of getting sick of Win 7...
>>
>>51861297
>so is getting a license for each one is even more expensive
RHEL costs MORE than Windows Server. People use it because it's better, not because it's cheaper.
>Nope, you got me there. Microsoft really isn't interested in making a single version of Windows for a single machine.
Supercomputers are clusters, not a single machine.

You're retarded.
>>
>>51860098
Is this fucking bait
>implying a developer knows what marketing/data depts do in Microsoft
>implying this goy can say this shit without being fired for violating an NDA
>implying this isn't some PR puff-job to curb the shitstorm Windows is getting
>>
>>51861437
nope, you just need to block some updates, look in the internet
>>
>>51861395
>linux is far from being the majority in any aspect
except for all of those things I mentioned, you downie cunt

>the majority of machines forward facing are windows
Does a stupider statement exist? I guess you forgot about servers, routers, firewalls etc.

>>51861432
ITT: 12 year old /v/ users upset that people shit on their gaymer OS, come back when you want to discuss stuff like dtrace and zones kid.
>>
>>51861416
>I use free-software which has gone through thorough code audits
I use Windows which has gone through code audits, independent agencies. Who audited your software? Do you know them? What is it about them that means you can trust them?
>>
File: 1450113876057.png (86 KB, 638x462) Image search: [Google]
1450113876057.png
86 KB, 638x462
>>51861121
>to improve
I'm pretty sure they admitted that they sell their collected data to third parties.

If you disable it it doesn't even get deleted from their servers, it just says on your device.
>>
>A microsoft employee has investigated microsoft and this microsoft employee wants to assure everyone that microsoft has done nothing wrong
Nice. I feel safer already!
>>
>>51861457
servers are majority windows still, routers and firewalls are not forward facing. i should have clarified, i meant to the user.

you obviously are getting your 'real world experience' from reading shit on /g/
>>
>>51861474
Source to data being sold to third parties:
https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
>>
>>51861457
> come back when you want to discuss stuff like dtrace and zones kid
>Wanting compare individual components of incomparably different kernels
Not going to scare me off with obscure names m80.
>>
>>51860121
>jobless, uneducated virgins think they can make anything out if they were to be provided with source code
>>
>>51861501
To the user the only forward facing OSes are Linux (still trying to catch up, but making progress) and OSX.
Windows is getting worse and worse with each update, user friendly wise.
>>
>>51860098
Working for them does not mean you know everything the company is doing. You are a developer for microsoft, you believe that microsoft does not spy on people that much and from what i've read from your answers (not everything, too lazy), you think evertyhing can be disable by lambda guy if necessary.

One question : Do you have access to the whole code ?
Do not bother to give us an answer, we already know it : of course not. But yet, because of your position, you think you're high enough (socially speaking) to talk about the whole product.

So basically, you're not taking any decisions for them, you're not deciding what microsoft should do, when it should do it and why but you come here, as an employee like hundreds of others, telling us a 2015 product of the 447B$ worth company / 7th largest IT company by revenue in the world, do not try to spy that much information from it's users ; in a world where personal data are literraly worth billions of dollars. Come on...

Do all of the NSA employees were aware of the spy-thing ? NO. If a non-informed NSA employee would have been asked about NSA spying the entire world, other presidents, putting microphone on merkel's building and listening to french president's calls, literraly recording tenth of millions of calls and SMS per minute, etc... There's a huge chance he would have had the same way of answering than yours right now. You think you're aware of what's happening because you're writing maybe 0.01% of the code.

The same thing apply to every company in the world though. Not all soldiers know everything about secret operations / bases / projects. (Not even generals know everything)

BTW, English is not my native language, sorry for possible mistakes. (too lazy once again to check)
>>
>>51861467
The same way I trust anything? It comes from a reputable source. Are you literally handicapped?

>I use Windows
Oh. You are...
>>
>>51861535
like i said, you spend way too much time here if you think that "the only forward facing OSes are Linux"
>>
>>51861535
Roughly 30% of forward-facing servers are Windows; ASP.NET is extremely popular.
>>
>>51861560
>reputable source
It was /g/, wasn't it?
>>
>>51861467
Are you going to make a citation for these audits? Also *nix started with large funding from government agencies like DARPA etc. And the government in many ways uses *nix. Are you going to research this or just keep angrily shit posting?

>>51861501
No the majority of servers are definitely not Windows especially depending on what type of servers you're referring to. Just look up any statistics on this.

>you obviously are getting your 'real world experience' from reading shit on /g/
Cool ad hominem, but I actually live this life faggot. Go back to your gaymer OS.

>>51861517
No I was actually looking at the advancement of modern technology and how Windows is VERY slow to adapt and is hurting because of it. While *nix in general is the source of pretty much all OS advancements.

>>51861564
I'd imagine he assumed you mean internet facing, should have just said that.
>>
>>51861543
/thread
>>
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/96776/20151018/ibm-raises-eyebrows-opens-source-code-access-to-china-here-s-why.htm

>[...] Microsoft has struck a similar agreement to allow Chinese, Russian and U.K. experts to view the Windows source code
>>
>>51861645
windows_for_governement_src.zip
windows_src.zip
>>
>>51861615
iis is very popular and windows servers still remain king
>>
>>51861676
Dats tots how VC works mang
>>
>>51861645
git checkout \"real\"_windows_branch
>>
>>51860525

>anyone with a brain knows windows isnt fucking sending your keystrokes back every fucking 15 minutes

this is /g/ nigga, fuck off back to /b/ bitch
>>
>>51860525
>so you would just be relying on someone else to tell you what it does
No?

We can read source code moron.
>>
>>51861581
Nope. RHEL and Intel perform code audits when they use free-software in their products
>>
>>51861706
They're not king you dipshit go look at any webserver stats and you will see Windows is not even close to "king". Stop replying to me butthurt winfag.

>>51861676
Basically this, I can think of a few ways you could try to compare obviously the binaries produced from their version and an official release but that doesn't mean MS couldn't be pushing fishy stuff through updates etc and that would be much harder to check I'd imagine because of small inconsistencies or problems that might cause 2 machines supposedly setup the same way to differ ever so slightly so idk how viable that would be to test.
>>
>>51861615
>how Windows is VERY slow to adapt and is hurting because of it.
Because of compatibility reasons, luckily for *nix system they aren't so heavily depended on and therefore can sacrifice compatibility to implement new technologies.

And in any case, from what I hear Linux users aren't too happy with some of the new technologies like Mir and Systemd.

Lastly, I think it's a fallacy to believe if it's new it must be better...or is it a pitfall?
>>
>>51861371
Linux is not part of the PRISM program. Fuck off.
>>
>>51861707
Do I really need to look how windows can be deployed, or how Microsoft handle this kind of stuff when I can show how the fact that some source can' t prove everything?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (60 KB, 851x474) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
60 KB, 851x474
>>51860525

>anyone with a brain knows windows isnt fucking sending your keystrokes back every fucking 15 minutes
You're supposed to take the poo to the loo, Rajeesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU

P O O T O L O O
O
O
T
O
L
O
O
>>
>>51861747
>Intel
Oh you mean that other company /g/ like to describe as "a jew".
>>
File: 1593.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1593.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
>>51861773
it is, you can clearly see it in the pic
>>
there are american companies out there that think that they can gain the trust of any non-retard, let that sink in
>>
LOL everyone knows that developers (programmers) can grab any information and send them to their own website to collect. This may happen if you allow the program in your firewall. On windows10 the operating system decides for itself what is allowed and what not and this includes which informations are collected and send. Kek
happy win7 user without any updates here
Waiting for the end of windows and then I am gonna use debian... I don't need games, so it is ok.
>>
>>51861776
You don't, you're just embarrassing yourself, Businesses and Governments have absolute trust in Microsoft and Redhat because their both Americas bitch, Redhat would literally collapse without support from the Government.
>>
>>51860571
Ins't CyanoGenMod just fine?
>>
>>51861751
companies that rent out virtual servers like godaddy use both, but linux is simple and effective. companies that host their own web servers lots of times use windows because asp.net works very well

>>51861799
f*cking epic XD
>>
>>51860525
It is not about sending the keystrokes, it is about sending anything.
>>
>>51861808
Because you edited it. : ^ )

Any shithead with GIMP, Paint and more can insert some simple text.

Also learn to capitalize it so it flows with the rest of the data bubbles. At least make it look convincing.
>>
>>51861768
>luckily for *nix system they aren't so heavily depended on
ebin, why are you even on /g/ if you're so uneducated and inexperienced in regards to technology? *nix is god-tier stable and runs on the most critical systems around. You've probably never even touched a commercial unix box. Even in the early 90s *nix was more advanced in ways than Windblows is now. "muh games" only works on /v/ so go home.

>think it's a fallacy to believe if it's new it must be better...or is it a pitfall?
I was clearly talking about technological advancements like nextgen filesystems. No need for you to twist what I'm saying friend.
>>
>>51861800
I wasn't talking about the ethics of the company as a whole. I was talking about the benefits of their code auditing. Why am I even talking to you lmao
>>
File: 1450006151196.webm (2 MB, 662x480) Image search: [Google]
1450006151196.webm
2 MB, 662x480
>>51860098
>>51860525

> P O O T O L O O
> O
> O
> T
> O
> L
> O
> O
>>
File: 522.jpg (106 KB, 336x360) Image search: [Google]
522.jpg
106 KB, 336x360
>>51861851
someones mad that hes last bastion of freedom is not so free
>>
>>51860098
Goddamn, I haven't seen such desperate damage control in forever! Saint Nutella truly is saving the world from microsoft!
>>
>>51861834
Yay tell that to Germany.
>>
>>51861881
>Microsoft: The whole company is terrible!
>Intel: The whole company is terrible!....except for the part that supports my argument
Cool, I realise now this was never going to be fair.
>>
>>51861841
>because asp.net works very well
More AD/SharePoint/GPO/SQL/Dynamics/BES desu senpai
>>
>>51861841
Nope, actually companies that rent out virtual servers use much more *nix, even on Microsofts own service azure *nix beats out Windows.

Yeah in LANs of corporations there is often Windows running webservers, for various reasons though none of them because Windows does the job the best(think incompetent admins). But on the internet *nix massacres windows, especially if you think about all of the switches, firewalls etc.
>>
>>51861834
?
>>
>>51862013
!
>>
>>51861676
Fucking this.

Reposting this, OP answer to bullshit but not to that :

>>51860098 (OP)
Working for them does not mean you know everything the company is doing. You are a developer for microsoft, you believe that microsoft does not spy on people that much and from what i've read from your answers (not everything, too lazy), you think evertyhing can be disable by lambda guy if necessary.

One question : Do you have access to the whole code ?
Do not bother to give us an answer, we already know it : of course not. But yet, because of your position, you think you're high enough (socially speaking) to talk about the whole product.

So basically, you're not taking any decisions for them, you're not deciding what microsoft should do, when it should do it and why but you come here, as an employee like hundreds of others, telling us a 2015 product of the 447B$ worth company / 7th largest IT company by revenue in the world, do not try to spy that much information from it's users ; in a world where personal data are literraly worth billions of dollars. Come on...

Do all of the NSA employees were aware of the spy-thing ? NO. If a non-informed NSA employee would have been asked about NSA spying the entire world, other presidents, putting microphone on merkel's building and listening to french president's calls, literraly recording tenth of millions of calls and SMS per minute, etc... There's a huge chance he would have had the same way of answering than yours right now. You think you're aware of what's happening because you're writing maybe 0.01% of the code.

The same thing apply to every company in the world though. Not all soldiers know everything about secret operations / bases / projects. (Not even generals know everything)

BTW, English is not my native language, sorry for possible mistakes. (too lazy once again to check)
>>
>>51861863
Why are you trying to pretend that the "critical" systems (Servers and a few supercomputers) are infinitely more important than desktop computers?

Do you know how many people would lose their shit if Microsoft just said
>so we can develop and interesting new technologies that the end user will barely notice, we're cutting compatibility will every Windows prior to 7
?

I'm willing to wager that a lot of *nix critical systems don't even use the new technologies, and it's only being used by the relative handful of people on their desktops.
>>
>>51862013
Red Hat isn't as healthy and competitive as /g/ likes to think, despite having a billion dollar revenue stream from almost entirely government contracts they only have a net income of <$200M.

In comparison SharePoint brought in 2 Billion alone for Microsoft back in 2013.
>>
>>51862071
Who care, free forced update to 10 for everyone
>>
>>51860421
Richard Stallman is a faggot. IIRC someone did convince him to come here once, and he basically said that all he saw was just a bunch of retarded gibberish and we were a waste of his time. He didn't say it here but like on one of GNU's forums. He didn't actually bother to post anything here. So clearly paying someone to sell us on...using free software is one of his main priorities in life.

No one is a fucking shill here. Fanbois and trolls yes, shills no. Fortune 500 companies and non-profit organizations aren't paying anyone to help them win over 4chan. This shilling horse shit is a meme, and only a complete dipshit would take it seriously.
>>
>>51862056
I don't think he's even a developer at Microsoft.
They way he worded it, he's just a random developer that primarily uses Microsoft technologies and that's it.
>>
>>51862100
Not when an organization's copy of Office 2003 doesn't work anymore, that will cause backlash. Not the lack of a new file system to replace the one that already works.
>>
>>51862071
I get it, you're uninformed and upset that the OS you used as a kid is a pile of shit so you're acting like you're too dumb to understand what I'm saying so you're perpetuating this argument with me.

I know you're used to a shit ecosystem with no choices or competition so you would not understand this but the changes are all optional and the defaults are always sane. *nix systems can be crazy stable and supported for a long time as well as being bleeding edge with a rolling release scheme. I'm just saying that the advancements are there and you can choose them if you want. Nothing is pushed onto you really.

Besides that Windblows is still catching up to stuff *nix had a decade or more ago so were hardly talking bleeding edge *nix.

>it's only being used by the relative handful of people on their desktops
lmao, yeah stuff like ZFS, dtrace etc is as we all know most popular on the desktop ~ Dumb windows luser

You can go back to your corner with your AAA games now kid.

>>51862155
>things that dumb windows lusers think actually happen
>>
>>51862155
That's the issue with Microsoft. Just buy the new version.
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>>51861965
>businesses run windows, but its just because the admins are incompetent

whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>51862230
It is though, *nix is as flexible as it gets with many choices that would make it much more superior to Windows as a choice for pretty much anything.

Am I supposed to pretend most windows admins I've met were competent to make you sleep easier at night?
>>
>>51860802
>features that are only there for sync/backup purposes
>encrypted on the server
Let's go through this.
>Your browser history
Find tabs and bookmarks you had on a different device, people like not being bound to a single device.
>Both your local and internet searches
Same, personalized search results. Why do you think Google is the best search engine (when only talking about relevance of results)?
>Literally everything you do with Cortona
So Cortana has access to the same information on you phone and computer, again, synchronisation.
>Your emails
Are you still using POP3 for your email clients?
>Your physical location data
Again, synchronisation.
>Your network data (i.e what wired, WiFi and cellphone networks you connect to and their specifics)
It happens a lot to me that I turn on my laptop and see it automatically logs in to a network I've only connected to with my phone before. Saves me the hassle of typing in the password again.
>Your SMS's/texts (if you use WP)
So if you get a new phone or reset it you don't lose all your text history.
>Your call logs (once again if you use WP)
Same as above.

And there's literally no evidence that Microsoft actually has access to that information.
>>
>>51862458
>And there's literally no evidence that Microsoft actually has access to that information.

And there's literally no evidence that Microsoft doesn't actually *have access to that information. Besides all of the phoning home of course.

worthless_post/10

There really needs to be a place with a higher barrier to entry than this.
>>
>>51862473
Microsoft's software needs to pass through multiple audits before being released to the market, just like the FOSS gets like someone else posted ITT.
https://www.microsoft.com/online/legal/v2/en-us/MOS_PTC_Security_Audit.htm
If any of this data collection bullshit was true, there would be evidence for it. All you have is logging information that matches up EXACTLY with what OP posted and no evidence to back up your story.

From here on out it's just my word against yours, but I'm not paranoid.
>>
>>51862507
>This information is for general informational purposes only. This information is subject to change at any time and should not be interpreted to be a contractual commitment or guarantee on the part of Microsoft.
>This information is subject to change at any time and should not be interpreted to be a contractual commitment or guarantee on the part of Microsoft
>should not be interpreted to be a contractual commitment or guarantee on the part of Microsoft

Some words written down by an obviously biased source are supposed to change my opinion? Also you're not being explicit enough for me to comment more about what you've said. Obviously with the way certain services have to work MS will have data that you just call "logging data" for it to work, and this "logging data" can be considered very personal depending on who you are and your situation.
>>
>>51860098
Oh wow. This convinced me to upgrade to botnet central. Thank you Microsoft employee
>>
>>51862639
You freetards are just as bad as the 9/11 conspiracy guys.
>>
>>51860098
Terrible greentext technique. 3/10 don't write a story for each line.
>>
>>51862718
>hurr I can't prove you wrong so I'm going to call you names

Grow up m8.
>>
>>51862718
Like lets go to Irak, there are some WMD u know?
>>>/pol/ >>>/x/
>>
>>51862639
>this "logging data" can be considered very personal depending on who you are and your situation
Hit me up if anyone ever gets duped in any way because of this alleged data collection. Until then, please give me something more convincing than paranoia.
>>
File: ohgod.gif (242 KB, 410x375) Image search: [Google]
ohgod.gif
242 KB, 410x375
WHERE'S THE BEEF
>>
>>51862854
Again you're being too vague(likely too stupid an ill-informed to be anything but), but I can say that MS is very interested in your data and very active in collecting/perusing it for their own purposes. Commonly under the guise of "must protect the children", if you even graze the surface of MS involvement in digital crime stuff you can see that they gather and retain significant information from users of their services which can be used however they please.
>>
>>51862473
Feel free to start one anytime. 4chan has been awful since 2007.
>>
>>51862974
You're the one that's being vague. Still all I've heard from you is the telemetry that is explained in the OP and stories about the "evil corporations".
>>
File: 1299959959058.png (177 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1299959959058.png
177 KB, 1680x1050
>make a lay user sign an agreement to use an incredibly complex close-sourced software while packaging in features they can't reject at point of sale
>only inform them of what you're doing in nebulous legaleze, full-while knowing the impracticality of consulting a lawyer before installing an os in the current year, (2014+2-1) where the grand technological achievement of the masses is getting upsold by the guy at fry's working for minwage + kekmission and then browsing instagram, whose TOS they also did not read.
>Add to this them needlessly obfuscating the dialogs or oversimplifying them and in some cases not providing one at all

It's not right. If the government wasn't being lobbied / knew how this shit worked, this kind of thing would be at the very least refined.
>>
>>51863145
oh wait, no it wouldnt because the heads of government are in collusion with these heartless conniving fucks
>>
>>51863058
I haven't said any of that stuff. Stop assuming you know who you're talking to on an anonymous imageboard.

And no there is lots of stuff that is not mentioned in the OP, why not research it yourself instead of coming here and basing your argument off of a reddit post? Also the post seems to just be concerning "windows" but there are lots of other services which tie into windows which perform significantly more analytics which can be confirmed by looking into how MS helps law enforcement.
>>
>>51862056
Enough with these conspiracy theories. Anyone with half a brain knows that NSA is not recording US Citizen's phone calls and texts.
>>
>>51860098
Freetards will spread the most vile and untrue FUD in order to help spread their sorry excuse of an OS.
>>
>>51863178
You're the one not coming with any sources at all.
>MS involvement in digital crime stuff you can see that they gather and retain significant information from users of their services which can be used however they please
>There is some vagueness in the terms of service!
>They are most definitely abusing the shit out of that!
>While still being allowed to be sold in Europe, where privacy laws are actually not shit!
Still nothing other than "bla bla evil corporations". Again, hit me up when you can tell me how your stories will affect me personally. Or anyone for that matter.
>>
>>51863336
You have to know that the privacy commission of europe is slow and only reacts after the matter.
>>
>>51863336
read this
>>51861503
>>
When there's a lack of transparency in a process like this it tends to make people worried or paranoid. If they would officially reveal how the telemetry works then there wouldn't be as much paranoia surrounding it.

tl;dr: It's their own fault for being vague.
>>
>>51863437
Read this
>>51862458
Answer to pretty much anything in that article. They have the data because that's the whole point of cloud services. This discussion is going in circles.
>>
>>51860475
>thinking that actually disables all telemetry
I've got some bad news for you.
>>
>>51861155
>If it wasn't for pinching Linux, he wouldn't even be talked about today
>the gnu c compiler
you wouldn't even be able to write any code without dropping a thousand dollars or whatever on a compiler suite if not for him
>>
>>51863538
>defending an advertisement ID as a 'cloud service'
there's something wrong with your head.
>>
>>51860098
>I'm in IT

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>51863582
That's the same thing as the cookies that do nothing more than personalize ads a bit. Who fucking cares. You can even easily disable that.
>inb4 but you don't know if it's really disabled
It is.
>>
>>51863650
>trust us, goy: the post
W E W
E
W
>>
>>51863668
>tinfoil, the post
W E W
E
W
>>
>>51863650
You can turn it off until Microsoft decides to re-enable them again. Source: http://betanews.com/2015/11/14/has-windows-10-november-update-threshold-2-reset-your-privacy-settings-and-default-apps/ & http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/26/microsoft_renamed_data_slurper_reinserted_windows_10/

Also, don't you think that collecting your Wi-Fi passwords and sharing them automatically to your contacts shouldn't be on by default? I mean, you could have a friend join your network for a day and without knowing your password is gone to his facebook friends.
>>
>>51863273
It's generally proven microsoft confirmed "FUD", but whatever nice baseless insult and FUD yourself.

>>51863336
>You're the one not coming with any sources at all.
And you are? I told you specific stuff to google on your own which you clearly haven't done.

>There is some vagueness in the terms of service!
You came to me with this "Ah ha!" paper that supposedly proved MS could do no wrong at which point upon actually reading the paper you find a clause which states that none of the statements actually hold any weight.

Just so you can't say "hurr no sources again" here is an example of some of the stuff you could find on your own:
http://news.microsoft.com/features/microsofts-photodna-protecting-children-and-businesses-in-the-cloud/
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-cloud-storage-onedrive-porn,27400.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-cloud-storage-onedrive-porn,27400.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
http://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-docs-boast-now-we-can-wiretap-skype-video-calls/

Just look into microsofts involvement in digtal crime and it tells you they like to act/be involved in this stuff and to do that they must retain data.

Some more stuff:
http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_and_the_NSA

Hopefully I have left no room for a non-obviously retarded(to the layman) argument for you to make against me. There is clearly a large involvement by MS in many areas that require them to retain data. You can look into most privacy claims against MS and they have valid sources.

And besides that the point is that unless you're mitm'ing yourself constantly at your router level you cannot be 100% sure about what Windows is doing with your data because it is closed source.

If you're not trolling, I can only hope ISIS will come and execute you for being a retard.
>>
>>51863692
Designated microsoft advetiser:the post
POO
L
O
O
>>
File: 1418206981844.jpg (465 KB, 2378x800) Image search: [Google]
1418206981844.jpg
465 KB, 2378x800
>>51860098

I check reddit every once in a blue moon when 4chan is boring, it's (sometimes) a good agregator of useful information all in one place. But I have been noticing that for the past month or so Microsoft has been running such a clusterfuck of a mega shilling operation that it drives me mad.

I was just comenting about this very same reply from this shill on steroids earlier today with a friend and seeing the thread here made me dug my browsing history to find this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3ukwnv/til_consumer_groups_have_slammed_microsoft_for/

Just look at the top rated comments. Also, I was there when this thread got posted and these comments appeared all at the same time and imediately had a bunch of upvotes each, basically protecting each other.

Just look at how DESPERATE they are to shift the focus away from Microsoft and trying to make you choose between hating the isp OR Microsoft, while pushing you towards hating your isp as if you somehow could, say, hate both? They are basically trying to scream "LOOK AT THE OTHER THING! LOOK AT THE OTHER THING!" in order to damage control for Microsoft.

Seriously, Microsoft has become the company I despise the most for how aggressive they are with their market. Sure, they aren't the only ones doing all this shady crap, but they behave like that one guy who's just farted in an elevator and claimed it wasn't him when there were only two people inside. They aren't even trying.

I also see a LOT of these threads who just scream "shilling" here as well, specially at /g/ and /v/, where I found this classic in pic related. The "comfy xbone threads" are incredibly obvious marketing attempts where they try to basically say how "unique" and "independent" you are for owning an xbone. At /g/ I remember the countless windows phone shilling threads with a bunch of samefagging replies all in the same writing style where a guy said his "Android phone" wasn't working well so he switched to WP.
>>
>>51863650
http://investmentwatchblog.com/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10-2/
>>
>>51863845
>for the past month

for the past months*
typo
>>
>>51863845
I mean, look at how the screenshots are portrayed. It's on a Windows Phone, the shilling continues.
>>
>>51863845
>microsoft is the only company that tries to shill here
>any thread about an xbone is a marketer

while no doubt the shills exist, dont for a fucking second think anything that has to do with an xbone is a marketer. and if you are going to go down that road, you better fucking at least mention the sony shilling that goes on
>>
I honestly don't even care if an OS spies on people as long as I don't have to use it(fuck the people stupid enough to).

But the useful idiots and shills ruin everything. I wish they could be contained on "FacebookNet" or something.
>>
>>51863933
/v/ is overrun by sony shills lately.
>>
File: 1449370066529.gif (2 MB, 402x604) Image search: [Google]
1449370066529.gif
2 MB, 402x604
>>51860211
>>
>>51863933
>other companies do x too
that doesn't make it right. This is a thread about windows, u can start one for sony.

Not even le samefag
>>
>>51863845
Well them where do get paid?
I already shill for free.

Also, to prove I'm not a MS shill, I'm going to say:
Hitler did nothing wrong, the holohoax never happened.
>>
>>51863717
From the TomsHardware article of PhotoDNA
>This allows Microsoft to catch flagged images without its staff having to actually look at the picture.
So pictures are ran through an algorithm and don't end up at any end user other than the actual user. I have nudes of my 17yo gf on my Onedrive and I have yet to have any cops knocking on my door. Probably because I don't live in the "free" USA, where you actually have to live with the NSA, that has actually toned down a lot.

Let me go as far as saying I get where you get your tinfoil from, but I still don't see how it would negatively affect me in one of these two ways:
>I have a shit ton of obvious CP on my onedrive and I get busted
>ads within MS store apps are more personalized

I don't see those two things as an excuse to not use software that is a lot more convenient for me to use.
>>
File: triple-facepalm-picard-812.jpg (63 KB, 980x600) Image search: [Google]
triple-facepalm-picard-812.jpg
63 KB, 980x600
>>51863202
>Anyone with half a brain knows that NSA is not recording US Citizen's phone calls and texts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887941/Merry-Christmas-NSA-admits-decade-s-worth-improper-surveillance-Americans-holiday-document-dump.html
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/18681-nsa-whistleblower-binney-nsa-recording-80-of-u-s-phone-calls
https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying

>mtfw when it litterally took me 30 seconds to prove you wrong.
NSA even admitted it. You seems to be so unprepared to be wrong that you even deny what NSA as confirmed. Blue-pilled yourself more buddy, you haven't took enough...
>>
File: 9.jpg (60 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
60 KB, 500x420
>>51863933
I never implied they are the only company that shills here because it's a fact they aren't. But this is a thread talking about microsoft and, like I said, they are extremely aggressive with their marketing. And yes, I usually check the comfy xbone threads and they stick out as a sore thumb for the most part.

Sometimes it gets so fucking ridiculous I just can't help but cringe while reading the stuff they say. For example, last year I remember one where two guys were having this deep and long conversation and long story short, one was basically trying to say how Live brought them closer with some of his relatives and made them understand each other better, while the other was saying how his dad used to be this ultra pro arcade king that no longer played any games and was dying of cancer, so the guy got an "Xbox One" and it rekindled his passion for games and brought them closer together, until he finally passed away. I'm talking about this level of ridiculous. The last one I saw was saying something along the lines of "you own an Xbox One, you are an unique thinker, a rebel" or some other fucking bullshit right in the very OP. They ARE marketing threads, it's undeniable.

Besides, when reading the replies, they always develop the same way as the pic in my previous post. They always try hard to project this idea of "the cool level headed guys who can all get along fine with everybody", while trying to push a personality cult for the Literally Who known as Phil Spencer. To me it's pretty obvious it's all a part of Phil's attempt at trying to change how the public sees the xbox brand that Don Mattrick ran into the ground and he's always trying hard to make it happen down to the very way he dresses himself. It's like watching these mini Spencer clones talking to one another.

And although Sony shilling is a thing, I think it's mostly a neogaf thing because Sony is the richest shitposting material for /v/ as of now because it sends the board into a frenzy.
>>
>>51864060
It's not just MS Store apps, they also get embedded in the OS itself, like the start menu.
>>
>http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/
>>
>>51863934

This is exactly my problem. What drives me insane with all of this is the level of intelligence of your average internet user, which, may I say, is really fucking low. No matter what happens or what gets exposed, people simply eat PR speech without bating an eye. It's depressing.
>>
>>51864060
Privacy is far from the only reason to dislike Windows. But that is not the topic of discussion and I'd assume you are unfit to discuss it anyway.

You belong on /g/ - consumer not /g/ - technology which is the main issue.
>>
>>51860421
>not having freedumbs in your mini netbook and servers

Are you retarded?
Use a real machine for quality production and media related work. Adobe dont run on FREEdumbs.
>>
File: ecstasy trip gif _ Tumblr.gif (667 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
ecstasy trip gif _ Tumblr.gif
667 KB, 413x310
linux is for lovers, windows is for women
turn off the lights, its time for living
>>
>>51864262
>quality
>adobe
>>
File: We’re all a little mad here.gif (301 KB, 400x284) Image search: [Google]
We’re all a little mad here.gif
301 KB, 400x284
JUST GET A ROOM ALREADY
>>
>>51864187
There can be featured store items, which can be turned off with a simple toggle in the settings menu.

>>51864261
>You belong on /g/ - consumer not /g/ - technology which is the main issue.
What on /g/ isn't about consumer technology? The daily programming circlejerk? The daily ricing thread? I'm as interested in networking and hardware as any other guy on /g/, but I just prefer to use software that fits my needs and as of now I see no reason not to use it other than some at most questionable lines in the terms of agreement that don't affect me in any way.
>>
>>51863202
>Anyone with half a brain knows that NSA is not recording US Citizen's phone calls and texts.
They try to be cute by differentiating between recording and surveillance. If it's passive and automated, nobody's really looking at it.

Take a look at this:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/may/04/telephone-calls-recorded-fbi-boston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt9kRLrmrjc

Katherine Russell's phone calls with her terrorist boyfriend before the bombing were part of the investigation, despite the fact that the FBI had no clue who she or he were or that there would be an attack.

Russell and Tamerlan were both US citizens
>>
File: telemetry.png (295 KB, 861x3767) Image search: [Google]
telemetry.png
295 KB, 861x3767
>>51860098
>they ARENT stealing your personal info

But they are.
>>
>>51864379
You can not trust Microsoft with a simple disable button, see:
>>51863716
>>
>>51860098
>be billion dollar company
>probably have one of the largest marketing things ever
>one of your top products is hitting the market
>huge amount of worries from consumers
>"lol whats that? You want MORE telemetry? Well okay"
>sales start gradually dropping
>still dont really care
>some drunk employee in the after hours who values his job goes to pleddit "well, its not that bad gais really"
>whole department still is mostly unresponsive and uncaring

What is wrong with microsoft these days. They really dont give much of a fuck.
>>
File: but why.jpg (119 KB, 500x494) Image search: [Google]
but why.jpg
119 KB, 500x494
This is some good chili.
>>
>>51864379
I say it because generally people who think they need Windows don't and are actually just stupid. I used Windows for a long ass time before moving around Linux and BSD and they're way faster, simpler and generally more convenient than Windows in pretty much every way. So excuse me if I'm going to disregard you in the same way.

I still use Windows, but it's virtualized and I only use it for compatibility testing and a few games.
>>
File: artbsod.jpg (69 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
artbsod.jpg
69 KB, 620x465
>>51860098

"Good news everybody the knife we are bludgeoning you to death with sticking out of your back isn't as long as people are claiming! It's shorter so can't go as deep when pushed in. Heh, so everyone's cool now right?"
>>
>>51864511
For my personal use case I can hardly get around Windows if at all. I try not to call people names, but maybe you can try opening your mind a little and see that not everyone uses a computer in the same way as you do.
>>
File: supremacy.gif (893 KB, 200x130) Image search: [Google]
supremacy.gif
893 KB, 200x130
>>51860802
>>Literally everything you do with Cortona
they better don't want to know that shit
>>
>>51864727
I doubt you've even tried to do thing any other way. I've done things many ways in the past and settled on what I found to be objectively the best. While I doubt you've put any effort into doing things any other way or at least being knowledgeable on all of the options(as someone on /g/ should be).

So really it is in all likelihood you who needs to open your mind.
>>
>>51860098
And this, kids, is why reddit is so shit.
>>
>>51860571
>"freeload"
>on a paid platform
ok.
>>
>>51864931
>use software that's only available on Windows (and maybe OSX) on a daily basis
>Windows suits all my needs feature-wise and provides many options to sync settings and info between my laptop, desktop and phone
Please tell me how running a virtual install of within any Linux distro to use most of my programs beats running the OS natively.
>>
>>51864727
W I N C U C K
I
N
C
U
C
K
>>
>>51865092
It's because you don't belong on /g/. If you actually had a /g/ based usecase for your computer you would have a much better time on a non-windows OS. But since you're some lamer faggot obviously the good things about *nix are less of a use to you.

>b-but.. I'm.. /g/...
No /v/ go home.
>>
File: 1390445736490.png (30 KB, 215x219) Image search: [Google]
1390445736490.png
30 KB, 215x219
>Win10 isn't saving your keystrokes
Yeah right.
>>
>>51864995

Inded. It baffles me how much people eat bullshit up at that place. The whole place feels like it's populated by those cannon fodder characters in horror movies that always die first because they keep laughing and thinking "it's just a brank brah" while literal Satan is in front of them dong some clearly paranormal stuff.
>>
File: reddit SHIT.png (174 KB, 699x657) Image search: [Google]
reddit SHIT.png
174 KB, 699x657
Fuckkkkkkkk why are their servers so ass
>>
>>51864461
>What is wrong with microsoft these days. They really dont give much of a fuck.
They literally own IT. If you see even one Windows computer in an office, there are roughly 2-5 Microsoft servers powering it. It is engineered so a sysadmin can click two checkboxes to lock down 10,000+ machines instantly. Can Linux do that?
>>
>>51865560
>Can Linux do that?

Yes
>>
>>51860098
>im in IT
>ms product
Post invalidated
>>
>>51865560
Go home microshaft shill. And yes since you're too stupid to know the answer, Linux can do that faster, simpler and more flexibly than Windows ever will. That is why *nix is the backbone while Windows is that ToyOS for gaymen/Bonzibuddy malware machine in the office.

You don't see much *nix in an office or a school(besides routing etc) because competent admins don't work at a school or something where all decisions are made by a board of pseudo-intellectuals. Same as how every small-time website is shit and full of security holes because the people who make small-time websites are retards.

All serious stuff is done by *nix for a reason. Netflix isn't using windblows for it's servers for a reason.
>>
>>51861495
>tripfag
fuck off
>>
File: duty_calls.png (14 KB, 300x330) Image search: [Google]
duty_calls.png
14 KB, 300x330
>>51865439
So because my preference in an OS is different than yours my whole opinion about anything related to technology is now completely invalid?

I'm not the one looking down at people for their choice of operating system. I just defended my choice for Windows with reasonable arguments and because you're too autistic to see that some people in the world use their technology and interests for it in a different way than you do and you're just calling them retards. Well fuck you too. I hardly even play video games and I don't go to /v/ because it's shit. I hoped I could get a proper conversation about this, but apparently you just resort to elitism and namecalling. You're just as bad as the PC elitists on /v/ saying their games are more fun on their platform. Well guess what, they're not. It's all the same and it just comes down to preferences. And people are different. If my education and job involved programming and nothing else, I would definitely give Linux a try to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side and not just faggots spouting memes, but unfortunately I'm bound to the Adobe suite because of my current study and for that I also need an office suite that is not shit. This, combined with the fact that the services Microsoft has to offer suit my lifestyle well, makes me choose Windows on my computers. I'm deeply sorry if you can't handle that and if I'm therefore not allowed to have anything to do with any technology, all because I use an OS that isn't as rice-friendly as yours.

Goodnight.
>>
>>51865777
fuck off newfaggot /v/ermin
>>
>>51865805
>So because my preference in an OS is different than yours my whole opinion about anything related to technology is now completely invalid

Your preference in OS tells me that you're likely unfit to give a proper opinion on any technology.

>OS that isn't as rice-friendly as yours
I never even mentioned ricing but nice baseless point to solidify your shitty opinions.

>services Microsoft has to offer suit my lifestyle well
More consumer /g/eneral.

People like you are welcome pretty much everywhere, but not here so stop trying to force it. I'm sorry but no matter how much you want to believe it your opinion is worthless and you yourself are as well. Goodnight faggot. If you don't do anything /g/ related on your computer then get off /g/, this isn't your technology news forum.
>>
File: Smash_dat_like_button.jpg (32 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Smash_dat_like_button.jpg
32 KB, 720x480
>>51860098
>reddit>askreddit
>>
>>51865805
>PC elitists on /v/ saying their games are more fun on their platform. Well guess what, they're not.

I sure hope you're trolling, PC is so obviously better for gaming than a console you cannot seriously be stupid enough to not realize that.
>>
>>51865805
>I just defended my choice for Windows with reasonable arguments

Your only argument was "I don't do anything with technology besides write office documents and use adobe software" which just disqualifies you from the discussion. Yeah there are lots of retards who only do that kind of shit with their computers and they should use Windows. I'm saying for competent people who do things other than write office documents and browse facebook it would be better to just run Windows in a VM. But since you're just a human cog that argument obviously doesn't matter because you don't do anything technologically interesting with your computer. So why are you even trying to discuss this with me? We're on completely different levels.

>and because you're too autistic to see that some people in the world use their technology and interests for it in a different way than you do and you're just calling them retards
Blah blah blah some ad hominem about autim(fucking normie) some people only use technology to browse facebook and use adobe shitware. And? Then go discuss it somewhere else, I'm here to discuss interesting aspects of technology history and the present not your fucking use of adobe products on windblows.

>I hoped I could get a proper conversation about this, but apparently you just resort to elitism and namecalling.
I guess if you were a dumb windblows luser who disregarded all of my points it would seem that way.

>I'm deeply sorry if you can't handle that and if I'm therefore not allowed to have anything to do with any technology, all because I use an OS that isn't as rice-friendly as yours.
Blah blah high and mighty sorry for ju... meme comment about l00nux rice, I can handle it just fine I'm just informing you that you don't belong here and you clearly never will.

>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>51860571
>freeload
>after having to pay 100-200 for a piece of software that's normally free
>>
File: 1399560421794.png (184 KB, 939x705) Image search: [Google]
1399560421794.png
184 KB, 939x705
>>51861371
except thats actually edited and youre a faggot.

t. somebody who has an original copy of that presentation
>>
>>51865955
>looking down at other people's opinion based on their choice of OS
Sorry dude, next time someone asks me for any technology related advice (which is, by coincidence, my job), I will say my opinion on their wireless network setup is completely irrelevant because I run Windows on my computer and he uses OSX.

>>51866267
>Your only argument was "I don't do anything with technology besides write office documents and use adobe software"
I never said that. I just said that the things I like to do with tech doesn't require me to run Linux on my computers that I use daily.

>coming to me about an ad hominem
You just called me a retard three times ITT, amongst other things. I thought maybe dropping to your level would help get the point across.

>you were a dumb windblows luser who disregarded all of my points
Still complaining about one ad hominem though. When are you going to start swapping the letter S in Microsoft with a dollar sign?
I did not disregard any of your point. I looked at them, read them, skimped over the ones I read a thousand times before and came to the conclusion that in the end, you're paranoid about using some software because you can't personally take a look at the millions of lines of code in Windows, while there's nothing to show that you, as an end user, would experience anything negative when using Windows. If you have your reasons to prefer Linux, you have all right to, I have my reasons to use Windows and so do many other people, a lot if which also browse this board. Go ahead, start a thread with a Strawpoll asking about their main OS. I bet 50-75% will be Windows. Just stop grasping at the privacy argument.
>>
>>51866567
Stop replying to me, you're clearly set in your ways and beyond help.

Yeah I called you names but along with that I actually made points unlike you. The majority of my complaints about Windows have nothing to do with privacy.

I don't care about your faggot adobe/office/windows life and nobody wants to discuss that shit on /g/ so just fuck off. Your whole argument hinges on "well I'm not into technology so you're wrong it's all subjective brah", which I'm not discussing. I'm not here to discuss what the best OS to run MS office and adboe shitware is.

You're never going to escape this completely wrong and retarded statement that could only come from someone such as yourself:
>PC elitists on /v/ saying their games are more fun on their platform. Well guess what, they're not.

So just fuck off. Enjoy your inferior OS and laymans work you normie faggot.
>>
>>51860302
4chan might be a cesspool but sometimes smart opinions do pop out, you're one of the few reasons i still browse this piece of shit
>>
>>51866846
The rate of intelligent opinions to garbage was a fuckload higher before, mostly because one had to know how to read posts correctly in order to extract the actual meaning of them, instead of being baited into blowing one's hand off. It kept newfags and idiots at bay by natural selection.
>>
>>51866913
The internet is wayyyyyyyyyyyy to friendly to stupidity than it was when I was younger and I've noticed as places become more tolerant of idiots the quality went way way down. Idiots constantly posting out of the wrong sections etc.
>>
>>51866967
*in the wrong sections
>>
>>51866713
I stand by my argument that games are not by definition more fun on PC, but that's a case best suited for /v/ and I will not discuss for now. I thought that people on /g/ would agree that the entertainment value of a video game isn't necessarily reliant on the platform it's played on.

Let me summarize my view on the discussion ITT:
>privacy issues are in my opinion not a valid reason not to use Windows as there's still no clear evidence that they should concern the end user
>an interest in technology can also mean other things than tinkering with an OS
>although I need Windows in my daily life, I'm also into technology, just in a different way that you are apparently

I hope you can live with that and I also hope that we never bump into a discussion again, because it just ends up going nowhere with not even an intention of agreeing to disagree on a subject. /g/ is not one person and /g/ is not you.
>>
>>51866967

The problem with the internet nowadays is that it is built around the idea that "your opinion matters!" Every single website is asking you to "voice out your concerns" and to tell them what you're thinking, so the idiot actually thinks he's smart because he gets this false idea that what he says to say is worth actually worth a shit.
>>
>>51867073
>>>/israel/
>>
>>51867109
>what he says to say is worth actually worth a shit.

brainfart

what he has* to say is actually* worth a shit
>>
>>51867109
People before used to tell idiots to shut the fuck up. Nowadays, people tell idiots they have "interesting ideas".
>>
>>51867136

Yeah, everywhere is a hugbox. Take reddit for example, you have to do a tremendous amount of work to go out of your way to say something is stupid or that someone is wrong, otherwise they downvote the hell out of you even if you're right to the very core of what you're saying. Your average idiot has the mental maturity of a child.

What bothers me the most because it affects me directly is how people simply cannot admit their lack of knowledge about something, or how they simply cannot admit to being wrong, specially here at 4chan. I have never in my entire life seen someone saying "My bad, I was actually wrong and I see this now with the evidence you posted" here or something along those lines. When it comes to issues I know nothing about, I prefer to read the discussions or ask questions instead of making statements. Now with the internet it seems it's the exact opposite. PC building threads are specially terrible and I have lost count of how many myths and blatant misinfo I see being parroted all the time for example. For example, in your average nvidia vs amd thread here at /g/ 9 out of 10 people posting think that TDP stands for power consumption and they make extremely bold and broad claims on the matter, even posting some infographs that would completely misguide your average layman looking for advice.

Anyone can say what they and anyone can be who they are, which is in itself a blessing and a mark of true freedom, but at the price of giving ground to legitimate idiots to pass on their idiocy under the guise of truth.
>>
>>51867248
>Anyone can say what they and anyone can be who they are

Anyone can say what they want* and anyone can be who they want to be*

My sleep deprivation is showing badly.
>>
>>51867248
TDP is one of the worst things marketing came up with
>>
>>51867248
>My bad, I was actually wrong and I see this now with the evidence you posted
That will happen sometimes, I've personally admitted being wrong a couple of times when reasonable arguments were given. Have you?
>>
>>51867248
The advantage of 4chan is that you don't need to make a post saying you're wrong, just drop the issue completely (live and learn). The issue with other venues is that everyone is too scared to call you out on your faggotry, so they deny you the ability to improve.
Now, the reddit and tumblr crowd having infected 4chan creates of course a new dynamic: half the people are too scared to call you out on your faggotry, and will come to the defense of anyone the other half does not mind proving wrong, just because they perceive the faggot as being a "victim". They additionally refuse to learn or improve no matter how much evidence is presented to them.
>>
>>51867296

Indeed, although it's valuable information for people who live in hot places and/or have cases with poor heat exhaustion capabilities.

As of now I think that VRAM, as in the way it's being passed around, is the worst marketing mumbo jumbo ever though. People are being led to believe that you measure GPU power by the amount of VRAM a card has. It gets specially bad when we're talking about 4K. I always see pc building threads everywhere where people recomend some bus starved GPUs with lots of VRAM because MUH 4K and I just cringe as hard as humanly possible.

It drives me specially mad because more often than not the guy asking for advice is on a budget and you have these gigantic inconsiderable fucking pieces of shit giving advice when they KNOW they don't have the slightest idea of what they're talking about. And they go out their way to make it seem like they actually have any authority over the issue and never admit to being wrong. The effort you have to pull off just to help someone more often than not includes having to overthrow these vultures, so something that should have been fairly straightforward becomes an uphill battle that will just confuse the one asking for advice.

>>51867350
I have. I hardly ever get into arguments anymore though because it's physically draining to do it here. 90% of the time you're just gonna get strawmanned/memed on to death and the person will just ignore what you're saying and go away thinking he's made a huge point. 4chan as a whole is specially bad because more often than not I find that it's average stupid person doesn't even know how to read properly. Most arguments I see branch out from one side not understanding the other.

I do refrain from making bold claims about things I don't understand though, or if I do talk about them I initially state my level of knowledge on the matter and use words such as "I think", so the need for such admitance is hardly ever a thing on my behalf due to these precautions.
>>
>>51867073
On PC literally everything is better about games, FPS, you have access to mods etc. It doesn't take much knowledge to figure this one out.

>windblows retard, consolefag, and technology illiterate please gtfo and never come back

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>51867496
New, selective chan W H E N ?
>>
>>51867540

Gaming is nowhever even close to being as much as high rated hobby for you to overstress over it. In fact, it's pretty much nowaday's "TV", aimed towards the lowest common denominator.

Having better performance while paying premium to bruteforce your standard unoptimized half-assed port and having to deal with the ocasional issue does not compensate for not having high profile exclusives and lacking convenience.
>>
>>51867496
Talking about VRAM, IMO people make to much of a fuss of the whole 970 3,5 thing. Regardless of whether the 390 is more powerful or not, there's only one or two examples of the 970 actually being slowed down because of this issue. Still, all I see when someone posts a build with a 970 is memeing about VRAM.
>>
>>51867581
Never, because you can't be both selective and anonymous
>>
>>51860571

pretty much this. Microshit needs more data and doing this is probably their best idea of how to get it.
>>
>>51867624
You can ban anyone who spoonfeeds and anyone who asks to be spoonfed, that should perform selection on at least 40% of the undesirables.
>>
NSA pls go
>>
>>51867623
You're right, I was precisely referencing this GPU in particular. It gets specially funny because a day before they found the issue, everybody was singing praise and hallellujah to it, then not a day after it seemed like they all suddenly broke and couldn't push even 20 fps in a 720p game with everything set to low. This is the effect your average idiot grants to the internet: he makes everything be completely blown out of proportion. The other thing that struck me as funny was that 2GBs of vram was more than fine for gaming, but hey, now suddenly 3.5 isn't.
>>
>>51867618
I'm not "stressing it", I'm simply stating that everything about the game can be considerably better when played on PC. And that on console you miss out on a massive section of the gaming world, with mods and private servers etc.

And even though I agree that that majority of gamers are what you're saying that does not change that fact there there are still good games as well as good communities. Also there are some amazing games that will never make it to consoles because consoles are just shitty locked down PCs.

Having better performance is hardly the most important part to focus on so don't. Even if it's a shitty console port you're still way better off to get it on PC. And as for console exclusives there isn't much.

>lacking convenience
Everything is convenient if you aren't a retard.
>>
>>51867675
Spoonfeeders are really going to ruin the internet by doing shit like making adblocking easy for dumb people.
>>
>>51867692
>you are forced to pay for this NSA astroturfing out of your taxes

how does it feel?
>>
>>51867693
I wonder when people stop seriously recommending builds with AMD cpu's that have more than 4 cores. An i3 with a decent clock speed already beats the everliving shit out of anything AMD has to bring to the table in terms of gaming. I know people like to go for the underdog, but unless Zen will turn out decently, AMD is just not relevant anymore, not for gaming, hardly for daily work (cheap Intel CPUs perform better for the same price) and little for professional work (of you need a rendering machine, you probably have the budget for an expensive Intel chip that outperforms the AMD offerings).

>>51867753
>>>/v/
Playing a game of Rocket League with your friends is no more fun on PC than it is on PS4.
>>
>>51867693
It's a fact that many games push 4+ GB nowadays, though. Also, bitcoin mining.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.