[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Normie Linux distro
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6
File: linux_beyba.jpg (248 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
linux_beyba.jpg
248 KB, 800x600
Would it help accelerate Linux adoption on desktop if there was a way for normies to easily test out what Linux has to offer?
For example, a distro that offered usage tutorial at the start (similar to what Android does on it's first run), and use VirtualBox as wrapper, so that it can be installed on Windows and then ran in fullscreen mode, as if it was one of windows programs.

So normie would download 1-2GB windows executable (or just few KB downloader), get simple installer with one big "Explore Linux" button, wait few moments for progress bar to fill and then virtualised distro starts in fullscreen and offers a tutorial, which explains basic Linux concepts, how it offers multiple desktop environments and similar shit.
Last part of tutorial is how to close VM with distro offering "Return to windows" button instead of "Turn off" button.

Had to get that out of my head, plz upvote and subscribe

>inb4 normies can already do that with WUBI
still requires computer restart and offers user to fuck his own data up

>sounds great, i can make logo :^)
Great, send it to [email protected] and ask if it's inane enough for killer GNU plus Linux distro.

I still think that described idea would be more effective way of promoting Linux than those cringy videos Linux fundation makes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzsLkbwi1LA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WWfj6MrK4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuU0K8bpdlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsZjZVmFklQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3rDfRF_650
Fuck, I want to pull my brains out every time new one comes out.

bonus round: find tux on babe
>>
Ubuntu does all of this. Use a LiveCD and test away. No commitment whatsoever if you don't like it.
>>
>>51858446
The only normie thing linux lacks is a DE that looks and works exactly like windows.

>windows look and feel
>aero
>taskbar at the bottom
>start menu
>my computer
>control panel
>executables (without removing the software centre)
>NTFS (come on, just adopt it)

the look is most important for normies. if someone can do a Windows DE, i can personally guarantee that Linux's market share will become ten-folds.
>>
>>51858446
>if there was a way for normies to easily test out what Linux has to offer?
But Mint has been around for years now anon.
>>
>>51858446
It's called wubi

and its dead
>>
>>51858446
first you need to give them a reason to switch
>>
>>51858490
>if someone can do a Windows DE, i can personally guarantee that Linux's market share will become ten-folds.
http://www.noobslab.com/2015/09/do-you-like-windows-10-look-but-love.html
>>
>>51858538
Yes, but shit has to be default out of the box, or be max 2 click away, otherwise it doesn't exist for normies
>>
>>51858446
Linux's not really for you if you demand someone to hold your fucking hand through an on-screen tutorial. If you aren't willing RTFM, you're wasting your time.

On the other hand, for the intrepid explorer, LinuxBBQ comes with a bucketload of various desktop/window managers and other frilly stuff so you can easily swap things in and out. It's meant to help you try out new things or hone in on whatever specific environment you'd like by process of elimination.
http://linuxbbq.org/
>>
File: gimp-pepper-bite.jpg (3 KB, 161x114) Image search: [Google]
gimp-pepper-bite.jpg
3 KB, 161x114
>>51858587
That's exactly the thinking that is holding back Linux on desktop for 25 years now
>>
>>51858587
Really short sighted thinking here. Contrary to popular belief, normie adoption is the key to technological progress.

Devs should invest a lot more resources than they currently do to make Linux distros accessible to the technologically retarded. In fact, I would say it's worth dropping any other task that would need to be dropped just to achieve such a goal.

Once you have normie demand, you have normie funding. Sure, on average normie funding is lower than someone more interested, but the quantity of normies out there is vast.

Not only that, but once you get normies using the OS, you'll get more devs who primarily use Windows and OS X moving over to Linux, since many devs focus on the OS with the better market share.

Not that I'm implying Linux will be the top market share OS in the forseeable future, but as it is with so few people using it many devs are certainly asking: why bother?
>>
File: maximum_brofist.png (598 KB, 900x603) Image search: [Google]
maximum_brofist.png
598 KB, 900x603
>>51858879
could not agree more
>>
how exactly are those videos supposed to show how linux contributed to development of all those things?
>>
Things are fine just the way they are. Fuck off.
>>
>>51858538
>>51858572
>Linux WinBuntu
If it
>looks like Windows,
>feels like Windows
>works like Windows
can it be Windows?
May be.
But may be it is -
>Linux WinBuntu!
The Linux distribution that bankrupted Microsoft and Apple.
>>
>>51859300
>00
fucking naughty dubs.
A Linux distribution called WinBuntu must be created.
The dub God demands it.
>>
>>51858458
Requires burning iso to DVD, restart, boot from CD, incredibly slow and minimal experience on how software is installed and managed as well as user systems created.
>>
>>51858879
Upvote
>>
canonical could distribute VMs and virtualization software to windows users...
but they are too occupied destroying their own distro
>>
>>51859300
Or may be
>Linux Ubundows!
>Linux Wintu
>>
>>51859449
sound like sith lord names.
>>
>>51859378
Or, you know, install virtualbox and boot directly from the ISO in like 3 mouse clicks.
>>
>>51858792
16*

Nobody was serious about Lignux on Desktop PC's for the average user until Ubuntu happened.
>>
>>51859527
That's OP idea.
In current state, getting any distro to run in VBox on Windows requires way more than 3 clicks.
Which makes it inaccessible for normies to even try any distro out.
>>
>>51858446
As a grill I am triggered by that unrelated pic.
>>
you would be better off selling laptops and PCs that come pre-installed with a linux distro
installing a new OS is too complex for 'normies'
>>
>>51859689
It's common to see cheap laptops with Mint pre-installed at stores in certain parts of the world.
>>
>>51859449
>Install Wintoo
>>
>>51858879
can we sticky this on /g/'s main page?
>>
>>51859723
Make wintoo and I'll install it.
>>
>>51858879
User share*
>>
>>51859702
I hope that starts happening in more places.
Where I live, you can get majority of laptops with either Windows or "no OS" (meaning FreeDOS is instaleld)
Why da fuck do they offer FreeDOS instead of popular Linux distro I don't know.
Probably some "go install pirated Windows yourself" bullshit.
>>
>>51859733
Where do I sign the petition?
>>
>>51859702
>>51859689

Fairly common to see old XP-era netbooks and laptops with Mint or Ubuntu on ebay.
>>
>>51859667
LIVE CD's exist. It's the whole point: to try/use Linux w/o doing anything.

VM's make no sense when you have the LIVE CD option. However:

>Download any *buntu iso
>Install Virtualbox
>Create new VM, Choose Ubuntu
>On first run, set downloaded iso

Literally any user familiar with Virtualbox or any other VM software can do this. Stop being retarded.
>>
>>51858538
Is that not xfce?
>>
>>51859405
This
>>
>>51859680
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>51859851

"literally any user familiar with VM software" and you've already excluded 95 percent of the people I know in real life.

That's the whole fucking point you stupid dummy
>>
>>51859910

> I can't recognize obvious bait
>>
>>51858879
Seriously who would adopt an OS whose kernel was made by one hobbyist guy (Torvalds) instead of a team of top-class devs? Especially since he's a touchy cunt with a dictatorial grip on what gets adopted or not in the system? (or so I've heard)

Who would adopt an OS that doesn't have drivers for every possible hardware out there?
>>
>>51859922
>99 22
dub dubs are true, sadly.
>>
>>51859851
when was the last time you used a CD?
newer computers don't even have CD/DVD drives

>make liveUSB then
provided that normies don't have bathtub full of empty flash drives, they would have to backup data on any USB I want to use for boot.
That is even before restarting the computer.
Way too complex and too much work for normies.

>Literally any user familiar with Virtualbox or any other VM
Anyone familiar with this tech already knows about Linux and is able to install it natively.
>>
>>51859922
then why the fuck are YOU suggesting VM's you circlejerking douche

LIVE CD's ARE THE OPTION FOR LE EPIC NOOBS, THE IS NO POINT TO TAKE THEM ON THE VM ROAD
>>
>>51859938

who would install an OS where you have to hunt down opaque executables from the manufacturer's website instead of having them automatically downloaded and installed by a package manager?
>>
>>51858446
People don't like change, unless it's heavily marketed and implied that it is a positive change.

Now you know what to do: market desktop Linux or people will never change to it on their own.
>>
>>51859988
>99 88
package manager / software centre is the only thing that is still keeping linux afloat.

I'm the one who wants a window look-alike linux system and even i am a fan of the way linux handles software installation - literally god tier.
>>
>>51859935
> implying she's baiting
>>
>>51859988
Normal ppl do it like this:

-Browse/search web
-Find website with program
-Read about the features
-Click Download
-Install

What exactly is too difficult here?
Do you think they care about a package manager? You think they are superusers or nerds tweaking all day on the efficiency of their rig?
>>
>>51860030
>implying she isn't just jealous that she doesn't even remotely look as hot as OP's pic, the fucking landwhale..
>>
>>51859988
This.

I'm installing Teamviewer on Debian Testing right now and it only took me an hour to find deb and failing to install 4 times (using CLI of course) after realizing something super obvious to a Engineer and get it right. Im an IT Enginner btw.

God-Tier right there.
>>
>>51859957
not him, but I think you are a bit confused
>then why the fuck are YOU suggesting VM's you circlejerking douche
Thread is somewhat about bringing the gift of Linux to normies. If you exclude 95% of population, you exclude most normies, and remaining 5% already knows about Linux, since they are competent enough to work with VMs
>LIVE CD's ARE THE OPTION FOR LE EPIC NOOBS
sorry, nope
optical discs are fading out of relevance fast, and getting iso and burning it to disc requires some technical knowledge, which normies don't have
Not to mention you are left with unusable circle of plastic if you don't like the OS you just tried.
>THE IS NO POINT TO TAKE THEM ON THE VM ROAD
I don't think that general idea is "all normies should learn VMs" but instead "let's make easy as fuck VM so that even normeis can use it"
>>
>>51860080
> implying you know how she looks like
>>
>>51860019
Isn't this exactly why Linux Foundation is trying with ads in OP post?
Too bad they are failing miserably.
Could /g/ do any better?
>>
>>51860105
>get *buntu iso
>get uui
>get usb drive
>run uui, choose your usb drive, hit next like a retard

literally 1 minute.
>>
>>51860075

>"ppl"

Triggered

>Browse/search web
>Close js modal
>Click through ad.fly download portal
>Watch ads
>Get trojan
>Download DriverExecutableNOVIRUS.ext
>Execute this proprietary code
>It's a bitcoin miner
>Reformat hard drive
>GOTO step 1 because lol no drivers
>>
>>51860111
>implying a hot girl would even know what an OS is, let alone contribute to thread about making linux more normie-friendly
>>
>>51860075
>Normal ppl
>Find website
>Install
no wonder there is huge market for antivirus / security products
>>
>>51860147
> implying a hot girl wouldn't know what an OS is
oh, casual misogyny (;
>>
>>51860080
I'm not a landwhale but I don't have that impossible waist

I deserve love too :(
>>
>>51860131
Yes, you can do it in 1 minute, I can do it in 1 minute, but can normies do it in 1 minute? Not likely.
>>
>>51860218
Normies will always have that "good with computers" friend and it is our DUTY AS NECKBEARD MASTER RACE to infect as many pc's with user friendly gnulinux distros as possible.
>>
File: nixie.jpg (38 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
nixie.jpg
38 KB, 480x640
>>51860186
We love you. Feel better now?
Now tell us how to make Linux more normie-friendly.
>>
>>51860248
>anon, stop trying to sell me this "ganoo linusk" that nobody but neckbeards use, just fix my windows so that I can go on facebook again. I will browse it on my iPhoneâ„¢ while you do that
>>
>>51860252
Yes I do :)

Mint has done a lot on this matter, I'd make Cinnamon more Windows-like. I know it claims to be that way, but it's actually closer to MATE or XFCE than it is to your "vanilla Windows experience".
>>
>>51860172
he's probably right though
>>
>>51860252
I'm not her. I'm other femanon normie though (: Linux Mint is friendly enough imo, unless it breaks. As I was trying the themes somehow the taskbar disapeared and I couldn't manage to bring it back. Really my only option was right click on desktop and it wasn't of too much help. It's not like I'm going to switch from Windows 7, but just my experience with Linux thus far. And I'm a fairly experienced user, I managed to properly use something like gparted..
>>
>>51860316
Well, he isn't thouth (;
>>
>>51860309
dude what?

I literally recommend Ubuntu MATE to anyone who asks.
>>
>>51860172
;-)

>>51860186
just kidding, love.
harmless fun.
just contribute something to the thread.

Also, for future references, we don't need to know what gender you are. we are equal here.
we aren't psuedo-feminists - we literally do not care as long as you contribute equally.
So, don't mention your gender here on 4chan.

have fun!
>>
>>51860539
i thought all the goober gapers went to 8ch?
>>
>>51860539
>>51860147
>>51859910
>>51859680
>>51860252
>>51860330
Nothing like a useful thread being derailed by some co-ed sperging out. Thanks for that, you both sound iggnint af desu senpai
>>
>>51860665
What is not useful at my >>51860330 post? o.O I rold you that is easy wnough to use but it also breaks easily and I can't fix it.
>>
>>51860665
seriously? a 72 post thread is suddenly being derailed because of a couple of off-topic posts?
you should visit other boards, may be you'll find out what real derailing feels like.
>>
File: Back_to_the_Topic.png (50 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
Back_to_the_Topic.png
50 KB, 300x135
What is considered "Linux basics"?
What should be explained to normie to get brief understanding of Linux ecosystem?
>>
>>51860997

use package manager not scamware downloads

can't run windows programs without doing special tweaks etc

your wifi might not work because freedom, rms, etc

your grafix might not work because freedom, rms, etc

what a DE is and how it's separate from your OS

basic terminal commands 101

don't cut and paste from 4chan

tab auto-complete

free software equivalents, stupid names and stupider interface

how to burn bootable usb

what the fuck is a grub

why won't my computer boot

how not to fall for the arch meme

M$, microshit, applel and other terms to show your superiority

if a free software program lacks a feature then no-one needs that feature and it should be mocked
>>
File: keksimus.png (332 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
keksimus.png
332 KB, 596x628
>>51861225
>because freedom, rms, etc
>don't cut and paste from 4chan
>why won't my computer boot
>if a free software program lacks a feature then no-one needs that feature and it should be mocked

Also normies don't need to know about terminal commands

But yes ones not terminal-related and not listed here are quite good.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.